Our first cruise this January on Independence - need advice/help/tips

Zipitidoda

Best Day Ever!
We are new to cruising and have no idea what we're doing. We'll have two 17 year old boys with us and I know they'll have a great time but we are a bit nervous about this new experience. I can use all the advice you've got.

1. If our ship departs at 4:30 p.m. should we fly in the night before or if our flight arrives at 9:45 am the day of will that be enough time to get from the airport terminal to the port which is less than 5 miles away? (I do want to stop somewhere to get some wine before we board, anyone familiar with FLL airport area?)
2. I know we can bring two bottles of wine, how about bottled water, how much?
3. I want to book the escape room which I know is extra, I can't seem to figure out how and where to do that
4. Are the pools chaos? I'd love to enjoy them on our "sea" day but have this vision of mobs at them.
5. What are the best places to eat that are no an extra cost.
6. When and how do I find out the schedules of entertainment? Do we wait until we're on board to decide what to do?
7. Labadee. Is there anything worth doing excursion wise? I would love to shop from the locals there but was told it's a nightmare.
8. What the best advice you got for first time cruisers. Anything will help! :blush:

Last edited:
1- Personally I would never fly in the day of the cruise. Too many things could go wrong. I would be way too stressed. Last year my husband's flight to MCO was canceled and the airline told him they wouldn't be able to put him on another flight for 2 dyas. If he was going on a cruise he would have been screwed. I actually like to give myself enough time to hop in the car and drive if my flight is canceled. Of course that's not an option for everyone.

2- I have no experience, I only bring wine onboard. From their website "Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted."

3- You should be able to bok it through your Cruise Planner or onboard. If it's not in the Cruise Planner it may be too early.

4 - I've sailed on IOS twice and Freedom once and never found the pools too chaotic. Unfortuanately there may be chair hogs. So it could take a while to find a seat because they're all empty with towels on them. We usually hang out in the solarium at the adults only pool.

5 - I haven't sailed on IOS since the refurb. The only free places were the MDR, Windjammer buffet, Sorrentos pizza and Cafe Promenade.

6- I'm not sure if IOS has the new app yet. Last year on Allure we were able to see the Cruise Compass before boarding. If not you can look on Cruise Critic or https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass for compasses for the same cruise. It can give you a general idea

7 - I just usually hang out on the beach. The kids have done the inflatable water park area. It's been awhile since I did any shopping at Labadee. When I did, the vendors in the indoor market were less assertive than the outside vendors.

8 - The first thing that came to mind was. If you board before the cabins are ready and are looking for a bite to eat go somewhere other than the buffet. Everyone heads to the buffet and it's a madhouse. Now when we board we go the royal promenade for pizza or sandwiches. Once they announce the rooms are ready the buffet starts to empty out a bit. If we're still hungry we then go to the buffet.

We were on Independence last December. Love the ship.

1. We always fly in the day before. Not worth the stress of late flights if flying in the same day.

4. For pools, one nice thing about Independence is it has the additional kids splash area and pool. This helps with crowds. It also has the 2 regular ones + 1 solarium pool.

5. MDR is great not only for dinner but for lunch on sea days (Tutti Frutti salad bar is great) and also breakfast. There is WIndjammer, Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos.

6. You can't pre-book shows. Can't remember if Independence is on Royal App, but if so, it should be updated a bit before your trip. Tip....don't miss Grease, Once Upon a Time and the ice show.

8. Just have fun. For your boys, they may love Laser Tag, waterslides, Flowrider, rock wall, sports court, etc etc etc. Explore the ship and take time to relax and unwind.

1- Personally I would never fly in the day of the cruise. Too many things could go wrong. I would be way too stressed. Last year my husband's flight to MCO was canceled and the airline told him they wouldn't be able to put him on another flight for 2 dyas. If he was going on a cruise he would have been screwed. I actually like to give myself enough time to hop in the car and drive if my flight is canceled. Of course that's not an option for everyone.

2- I have no experience, I only bring wine onboard. From their website "Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted."

3- You should be able to bok it through your Cruise Planner or onboard. If it's not in the Cruise Planner it may be too early.

4 - I've sailed on IOS twice and Freedom once and never found the pools too chaotic. Unfortuanately there may be chair hogs. So it could take a while to find a seat because they're all empty with towels on them. We usually hang out in the solarium at the adults only pool.

5 - I haven't sailed on IOS since the refurb. The only free places were the MDR, Windjammer buffet, Sorrentos pizza and Cafe Promenade.

6- I'm not sure if IOS has the new app yet. Last year on Allure we were able to see the Cruise Compass before boarding. If not you can look on Cruise Critic or https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass for compasses for the same cruise. It can give you a general idea

7 - I just usually hang out on the beach. The kids have done the inflatable water park area. It's been awhile since I did any shopping at Labadee. When I did, the vendors in the indoor market were less assertive than the outside vendors.

8 - The first thing that came to mind was. If you board before the cabins are ready and are looking for a bite to eat go somewhere other than the buffet. Everyone heads to the buffet and it's a madhouse. Now when we board we go the royal promenade for pizza or sandwiches. Once they announce the rooms are ready the buffet starts to empty out a bit. If we're still hungry we then go to the buffet.
Thanks so much! I just wasn't sure on some of this and couldn't find info on the site.
What is MDR?
I'll definitely stay away from the buffett first thing! Glad to hear about the pools.
The blog help too. Much appreciated.

We were on Independence last December. Love the ship.

1. We always fly in the day before. Not worth the stress of late flights if flying in the same day.

4. For pools, one nice thing about Independence is it has the additional kids splash area and pool. This helps with crowds. It also has the 2 regular ones + 1 solarium pool.

5. MDR is great not only for dinner but for lunch on sea days (Tutti Frutti salad bar is great) and also breakfast. There is WIndjammer, Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos.

6. You can't pre-book shows. Can't remember if Independence is on Royal App, but if so, it should be updated a bit before your trip. Tip....don't miss Grease, Once Upon a Time and the ice show.

8. Just have fun. For your boys, they may love Laser Tag, waterslides, Flowrider, rock wall, sports court, etc etc etc. Explore the ship and take time to relax and unwind.
I figured if I could plan Disney trips this would be nothing but I was getting all stressed out. Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I also asked @msjprincess but what is MDR?

I was thinking the Main Dining Room was called Windjammer. Thanks for clarifying.
Windjammer is the buffet, opened daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You just walk in during the times.

MDR or Main Dining Room - It's opened for breakfast (sit down with menu + buffet or buffet alone for quicker meal), lunch on Sea Days (buffet and/or order from menu) and dinner.
For dinner, you can have "Traditional Dining" early or late, where you have a set time and an assigned table (just your party if requested, or you can be seated with others). Or you can have "My Time", where either you pre-book your time (and can be different time each night) or you can go when you want dinner and wait for a table (similar to going to a restaurant without reservations).

We are new to cruising and have no idea what we're doing. We'll have two 17 year old boys with us and I know they'll have a great time but we are a bit nervous about this new experience. I can use all the advice you've got.

1. If our ship departs at 4:30 p.m. should we fly in the night before or if our flight arrives at 9:45 am the day of will that be enough time to get from the airport terminal to the port which is less than 5 miles away? (I do want to stop somewhere to get some wine before we board, anyone familiar with FLL airport area?)
2. I know we can bring two bottles of wine, how about bottled water, how much?
3. I want to book the escape room which I know is extra, I can't seem to figure out how and where to do that
4. Are the pools chaos? I'd love to enjoy them on our "sea" day but have this vision of mobs at them.
5. What are the best places to eat that are no an extra cost.
6. When and how do I find out the schedules of entertainment? Do we wait until we're on board to decide what to do?
7. Labadee. Is there anything worth doing excursion wise? I would love to shop from the locals there but was told it's a nightmare.
8. What the best advice you got for first time cruisers. Anything will help! :blush:
Congrats! I'm doing Independence on Jan 2. First time on the ship!

1. For FLL, arriving at 9:45am is more than enough time to make it to port. With that said, there have been enough nightmare stories that flying in the day before is recommended, if you can make that work.

2. As mentioned, you can bring 12 bottles of non-alcoholic drinks aboard. I might just take advantage of that to bring some fizzy stuff with me.

3. I haven't seen anything for escape room in the cruise planner yet. If it doesn't show up then you'll have to do it whilst on board.

4. The pools seem to be a decent size. But if I'm being honest I'll probably be at Splashaway Bay more than the regular pools because the kids are more likely to do that.

5. Already been answered. I'd probably look at doing the MDR for lunch if available. Should be less chaotic.

6. I usually email guest services to find out who the rotating performers are. I'm not certain about the schedules at this point.

7. The locals can be aggressive but a firm "no thank you" seems to suffice. If you're just looking for a beach I recommend Columbus Cove. Seems quieter and less rocky than Adrenaline. Take the "water taxi" over there if you don't want to take the long way around.

8. Make a list of everything you want to do during the day, then be prepared to do maybe half of what's on your list. If you try and rush rush rush everywhere like it's the Magic Kingdom you will not enjoy yourself. Instead, try to adapt to "cruise speed", and it'll make everything a lot more enjoyable.

Congrats! I'm doing Independence on Jan 2. First time on the ship!

1. For FLL, arriving at 9:45am is more than enough time to make it to port. With that said, there have been enough nightmare stories that flying in the day before is recommended, if you can make that work.

2. As mentioned, you can bring 12 bottles of non-alcoholic drinks aboard. I might just take advantage of that to bring some fizzy stuff with me.

3. I haven't seen anything for escape room in the cruise planner yet. If it doesn't show up then you'll have to do it whilst on board.

4. The pools seem to be a decent size. But if I'm being honest I'll probably be at Splashaway Bay more than the regular pools because the kids are more likely to do that.

5. Already been answered. I'd probably look at doing the MDR for lunch if available. Should be less chaotic.

6. I usually email guest services to find out who the rotating performers are. I'm not certain about the schedules at this point.

7. The locals can be aggressive but a firm "no thank you" seems to suffice. If you're just looking for a beach I recommend Columbus Cove. Seems quieter and less rocky than Adrenaline. Take the "water taxi" over there if you don't want to take the long way around.

8. Make a list of everything you want to do during the day, then be prepared to do maybe half of what's on your list. If you try and rush rush rush everywhere like it's the Magic Kingdom you will not enjoy yourself. Instead, try to adapt to "cruise speed", and it'll make everything a lot more enjoyable.
Thanks for the input and info! I can't wait! We'll be leaving the week after you.

Thanks for the input and info! I can't wait! We'll be leaving the week after you.
OK, well a word of warning - the cruise in between ours is a charter called "70000 Tons of Metal". While this is an undeniably AMAZING name for a theme cruise, it could mean that the condition of the ship might be... less than optimal. I'm not singling out metalheads specifically, but the perception of the charter cruise is a 2-4 day party.

OK, well a word of warning - the cruise in between ours is a charter called "70000 Tons of Metal". While this is an undeniably AMAZING name for a theme cruise, it could mean that the condition of the ship might be... less than optimal. I'm not singling out metalheads specifically, but the perception of the charter cruise is a 2-4 day party.
Wait... What? This is on the independence? I just had to look it up. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I've spent enough time around metalheads that I'm not sure I want to cruise right after them. :D Hold on...I'm having a moment.

Seriously @starvenger who goes on a cruise and rooms with a stranger. Funny thing is my husband would probably love this cruise.

Well, thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure and bring some clorox wipes with me. We Depart on the 11th, just as the metalheads are leaving. 🤘

The funny thing about it was that I was scheduled for a cruise on Indy the 6th, and then we got bumped for the charter. But we were able to book Jan 2 at the Jan 6 rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts