Our First Family Disney Trip… Take Two! - May 2024 PTR (Update 4/28 - Epcot Must-Dos)

Thanks to our flight credits*, we spent just under $900 for four** people. The original cost would’ve been around $2800. That’s almost a 70% savings! :woohoo:
Nice score!
And yes you paid earlier, but that money was never coming back so use it or lose it!

Congrats on getting the Tiki Man Resort!!!! That's so exciting.
When you (or your little one) have your heart set on a resort, it's really, really hard to settle. I'm glad you don't have to and get to stay where you want. The Polynesian is such a relaxing resort, too.

And another congrats are in order for the awesome flight luck! That's fantastic that you were able to use credits and save some money on those flights.
I'm right there with you on buying seats for the babies/toddlers. I've never done a lap seat, that just sounds miserable. :rotfl:

Book Resorts - :thumbsup2 Polynesian Village Resort (Studio - 5 nights) & Beach Club Villas (Studio - 4 nights)
Great resort picks and 9 nights is a dream!
This will be my ninth trip to Disney World, but my first trip in eight years, so I have a ton to catch up on! I LOVE (with capital letters) Disney World and can’t wait to share the magic with my family. My favorite rides include Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, and the Carrousel of Progress and choosing ADRs is one of my favorite parts of Disney planning.
See I knew I liked you....anyone who loves CoP is a good person!
Why yes, M, we will be staying at the Tiki Man Resort! ;):laughing:

This reservation came through weeks ago and M is still talking about it.

I’m so excited about the volcano pool, the monorail, and the proximity to Ohana and Kona. I’m also excited to finally try the pulled pork nachos (they look delicious!) and a drink from Trader Sam’s.

I was (and still am) flabbergasted. This trip is going to be amazing! :woohoo:
It is going to be incredible! We did a 10 day Poly trip for spring break back in 2010 (with rack rates of $260/n) and three boys LOVED it there!! The twins celebrated their 8th birthday that trip and Jack was almost 10 and it was simply perfect.
Once Southwest released their flights for our dates, I booked our departure flight to Orlando right away. Using the credits (which was super easy – you enter your flight credit confirmation number on the payment screen) we paid a whopping $45 per seat for me, G, and M and only had to pay for L’s seat. Hooray!
Wow!! Great to be able to use the credits for a fabulous saving on flights!

Welcome, Alicia! I’m so excited that you’re here! You’re a Disney-with-kids expert so I’d love any feedback you have. :goodvibes

I’m still a bit sad that we missed on our 2020 trip, but this trip should help make up for it!

Yes, M is going to LOVE Disney World. She’s definitely the second most excited person in our family for the trip.

As for the coasters, I’m planning to ease in slowly. We had her join us on the “family” coaster at our local amusement park and she was traumatized. It was not the reaction I was expecting as she loves to go fast and spin fast… but somehow it was too much. We’ll be in MK first so we’ll start with Barnstormer and then move on to 7DMT if that goes well. We’ve been talking a lot about the roller coasters and I think she’ll give them a try, but I’m happy for her to bypass them this time if it results in a happier girl.

(And I’m not even going there with BTMRR or Everest… I’ll happily take her on them but I don’t think they’re worth pressing until she’s older.)

She does, right? And thank goodness… I adore M but I do not need two of her! :laughing:

I can’t believe it worked out so well. This will allow us to have two “off” or flex days which should keep us from burning out. This will also give M plenty of time for the pool!

Thank you! I was surprised when that came through so easily - I’ve read so many times that it’s hard to book through DVC. I’m super excited about that short walk to Epcot!

Isn’t that hysterical? I hope I don’t slip into calling it the Tiki Man Resort while I’m there! :rotfl:

And thank you! :goodvibes

Isn’t that the truth?! :sad2:

I really was stunned… but I went with it! I needed to get everything booked before he changed his mind! :laughing:

Thank you! I’m super excited about staying at an Epcot-area resort for the first time.

Hi, Cindi! It’s wonderful to be back on the DIS and I am SO excited to go back to Disney World!

And I completely agree, I get very excited when I see someone I “know” here. It seems many folks have left or aren’t as active as they used to be (which I understand, as I’m one of them!) so it’s always delightful to see a familiar name.

Thank you for the congratulations! We were so happy to welcome L - we waited longer than we’d hoped. It will be amazing to introduce Disney to both girls. :goodvibes

(Also, did I spot you in Dugette’s wedding pictures on FB? I thought it looked like you…)
YES! I was honored to be a Bridesmaid in her wedding :)

Nice score!
And yes you paid earlier, but that money was never coming back so use it or lose it!
Thanks! I was so happy to stumble upon the fact that we still had flight credits at both airlines. And you’re right - it was definitely a use it or lose it situation (and I’m happy we were able to use it!).

Congrats on getting the Tiki Man Resort!!!! That's so exciting.
When you (or your little one) have your heart set on a resort, it's really, really hard to settle. I'm glad you don't have to and get to stay where you want. The Polynesian is such a relaxing resort, too.
Thank you! I (and M) are SO excited! Certainly, we would’ve been very happy at another resort as well, but I think the Poly will be so convenient and I’m thrilled to have a chance to stay there.

And another congrats are in order for the awesome flight luck! That's fantastic that you were able to use credits and save some money on those flights.
I'm right there with you on buying seats for the babies/toddlers. I've never done a lap seat, that just sounds miserable. :rotfl:
Thank you, again! I’m so glad I was reading random FAQs and randomly searched for messages before booking those flights - I’ll take any savings I can get!

Buying a seat is absolutely the way to go. I know I just said I’ll take any savings I can get, but when it comes between savings and keeping my sanity… take my money! :laughing:

Great resort picks and 9 nights is a dream!
Thank you! I’m so excited about both of them (SO CLOSE to the parks!) and I’m so happy we can take our time and take breaks with such a long trip.

Also, welcome! Thanks so much for coming over!

See I knew I liked you....anyone who loves CoP is a good person!
:goodvibes

I will be a very sad woman if they ever remove CoP. It’s possible they may eventually update it (maybe?), but something will be missing from future trips if they don’t include a spin on that “carousel”.

It is going to be incredible! We did a 10 day Poly trip for spring break back in 2010 (with rack rates of $260/n) and three boys LOVED it there!! The twins celebrated their 8th birthday that trip and Jack was almost 10 and it was simply perfect.
$260 a night?! Wow! We certainly enjoyed savings by renting points (almost 50% the studio rack rates!) but we’re paying much more than than $260 a night.

That sounds like such a wonderful vacation - I love longer trips!

Wow!! Great to be able to use the credits for a fabulous saving on flights!
Yes, I was REALLY excited when I realized we still had those credits. I swear we’d tried to use some flight credits before (perhaps my husband’s United credits?) and found it to be very cumbersome. It was very easy to use credits for both Southwest and Delta. :thumbsup2

YES! I was honored to be a Bridesmaid in her wedding :)
I thought so! :goodvibes

How wonderful that you’re still in touch! I’m so happy for her after what must’ve been a rough time - please feel free to send my good wishes the next time to talk to her.

One Rental Down… One to Go?
a.k.a. Securing Transportation

I must warn you that many updates to come (transportation/food/daily plans) will be me trying to work through my best options to create a magical trip - I’d love your help!

First, I accomplished another item on my to-do list - I rented a double stroller from Orlando Stroller Rentals. We have several (four! :sad2: ) strollers, but never purchased a double stroller due to the age difference in our kids. We hated to drop $500+ on a stroller that we’d maybe use occasionally for a year or two… but Disney World is an exception. We rented a double Baby Jogger City Mini GT as we LOVE our single stroller version of the same stroller. @khertz was kind enough to answer my question about OSR and we went ahead and pulled the trigger!

Where I’m really stumped is airport transportation.

Where, oh where, is the Magical Express?! :sad:

I don’t love any of our options to get from the airport to the Polynesian (and back to the airport from the Beach Club at the end of our trip). The main reason is traveling with two car seat-dependent children makes the choices MUCH more complicated. :sad2:

Frankly, my favorite part of the Magical Express was the luggage delivery. Collecting our own bags removes the appeal of the Mears transport option - the time we saved with Disney picking up our bags made up for a longer travel time to get to the resort. I figured it all came out in a wash (and not needing to go to baggage claim was a bonus.) Plus, with Mears, I’m nervous that we’d be given a van instead of the motor coach (particularly on the way home) and I am 100% uncomfortable at the thought of either kid being out of a car seat. So, I’m 95% sure Mears Transport is out as an option.

Next is a rental car… have you seen the rental car prices?! We’d need a car for nine days, so the lowest rental car price for a company I’m willing to rent from (Alamo with our Costco discount) is nearly $700! :faint:

I’m not excited about that price, especially because… we don’t even really need a rental car? We got so lucky getting our preferred resorts (the Polynesian and the Beach Club) and are therefore within walking distance or easy transportation to three parks and SO MANY restaurants. There are just a few instances where we would even “need” the rental car, such as getting to AKL for Boma and WL for Artist Point (assuming we book both). I know they are not guaranteed, but it would be so much cheaper to get a Minnie Van (and it’s two car seats) rather than a rental car for two trips.

Our (seemingly best?) option is booking a town car service. This would accomplish three things:
  1. Guaranteed car seats for both kids. We’re bringing a car seat for L to use on the plane, but we need one for M which can be reserved with this service.
  2. It gets us to the resort and back to the airport with minimal wait time (and bonus: luggage help! And, if wanted, grocery pickup!).
  3. It’s 1/3 the cost of a car rental (yet double the cost of Mears transport).
Another possibility (but not a great option for us) is Uber… but as we’ll need a car seat and Uber Car Seat is tough to guarantee, I don’t love this option during this stage of life. When the kids are older and no longer need car seats… sure!

So… thoughts? Am I crazy to book a town car? If so, which one is best? The Unofficial Guide to WDW and Mousesavers both recommend Happy Limo, but I’ve also read great things about the newer Cast and Crew Transportation. Tiffany Town Car is also mentioned a lot, but reviews seem mixed and I’m concerned that UG and MS no longer recommend them.

Up Next: Cute Kid Commentary

Last edited:
Where, oh where, is the Magical Express?! :sad:
I know. I know. :sad2:
Next is a rental car… have you seen the rental car prices?! We’d need a car for nine days, so the lowest rental car price for a company I’m willing to rent from (Alamo with our Costco discount) is nearly $700! :faint:
:eek:
So… thoughts?
Yes.
One thought that occurred. You mentioned thinking of renting a car but then not needing it. You also mentioned car seats.

I can’t speak to a car service other than Uber/Lyft.
But how about this?
Rent a car from MCO. You can rent car seats from them too, I think. Drive to your resort and get everyone settled. One parent stays with kiddos while other parent drops car off at Disney Car Care Center. They have a free shuttle that will drop you off anywhere on Disney property.
You can do the same thing in reverse (shuttle can pick you up on property to get your car rental from CCC.)

I used to own the City Mini double jogger stroller and loved it! It's just as good as the single (I had that too :rotfl:). The only downside is the storage compartment underneath isn't a large in the double.

Car seats add such an extra layer to vacations! It sounds like your best bet is the private town car route. I agree about not renting a car. I doubt you would use it at all staying where you are.

I know. I know. :sad2:
I was sad when I learned that the Magical Express was ending (I LOVED it and used it for every trip from 2007 on), but I’m really feeling the loss now that I’m traveling with two young kids. If only I could guarantee a coach bus with Mears I would consider it, but it seems less likely of a guarantee since we’re not staying at as large of a resort (Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, etc.).

Yes.
One thought that occurred. You mentioned thinking of renting a car but then not needing it. You also mentioned car seats.

I can’t speak to a car service other than Uber/Lyft.
But how about this?
Rent a car from MCO. You can rent car seats from them too, I think. Drive to your resort and get everyone settled. One parent stays with kiddos while other parent drops car off at Disney Car Care Center. They have a free shuttle that will drop you off anywhere on Disney property.
You can do the same thing in reverse (shuttle can pick you up on property to get your car rental from CCC.)
This is a great idea!

I priced out the current cost of picking up a car from MCO and dropping it off at the Disney Car Care Center (who I LOVE and have used several times). Unbelievably (or not?), the price was much higher than I expected - around $150 for a one-day rental! :eek: I even tried a rental with a same-day drop off and pick up and the price is exactly the same. I’m sure the extra-high cost is due to picking off at one location and dropping off at another (that always seems to increase the cost), but I wasn’t expecting it to be more than double the cost of a one-day rental that picks up and returns to MCO. Yikes!

That said, rental car costs fluctuate a ton, so I’ll check a few more times to see if I can beat the price. :thumbsup2

I used to own the City Mini double jogger stroller and loved it! It's just as good as the single (I had that too :rotfl:). The only downside is the storage compartment underneath isn't a large in the double.
I appreciate the feedback! We LOVE our single City Mini and would’ve absolutely bought the double if we had kids closer in age. That’s a bummer about the storage basket but not a huge surprise as our City Mini has the smallest basket of all of our strollers. I’m hoping a smaller basket is an incentive rather than a detriment - I’m used to carrying a small purse in Disney and want to minimize the amount of stuff we schlep in every day. I’m sure it will be more than prior trips but I am refuse to carry every last “I might need it” thing.

Car seats add such an extra layer to vacations! It sounds like your best bet is the private town car route. I agree about not renting a car. I doubt you would use it at all staying where you are.
We’ve been on several trips since having M (including several that involved rental cars and bringing/renting a car seat) so I didn’t anticipate how much more work this would be. I’m sure the difference is I know Disney World has multiple transportation options thanks to my travels and the DIS - I’d never consider something like a town car if I was going to San Francisco, for example. (But frankly, maybe I should! :scratchin )

I do agree, though, that a rental car doesn’t really make sense for us this trip. It may be helpful for a few activities but is likely not worth the high cost.

figuring out what on earth I need to purchase to make Disney easier with two young kids.
HI! Not sure if I have commented, but I am following along! I have a 3 year old and 20 month old (at least I think he is 20, I lost count recently), and I have been Following PixieDustedMom on YouTube and she is AMAZING for tips with toddlers! Her kids are about the same age difference as mine so it is super helpful! We also purchase seats for our "lap baby" age children. I was on a flight with terrible turbulence once and someone dropped their baby on the plane. That was enough for me (many years pre-children) to decide to fly with a car seat. We have the cheap Cosco Senera Next carseats and my daughter calls it her "airplane seat." She gets so excited when we bring it out!

I priced out the current cost of picking up a car from MCO and dropping it off at the Disney Car Care Center (who I LOVE and have used several times). Unbelievably (or not?), the price was much higher than I expected - around $150 for a one-day rental! :eek: I even tried a rental with a same-day drop off and pick up and the price is exactly the same. I’m sure the extra-high cost is due to picking off at one location and dropping off at another (that always seems to increase the cost), but I wasn’t expecting it to be more than double the cost of a one-day rental that picks up and returns to MCO. Yikes!
What? Highway robbery.

Literally.
That said, rental car costs fluctuate a ton, so I’ll check a few more times to see if I can beat the price. :thumbsup2
Good luck!

Disney Excitement, Kid-Style
a.k.a. Commentary from my five-year-old

First, thank you to those who gave their airport transportation feedback! I’ll take any additional advice, especially if you’ve tried (and loved) a town car experience as it seems that’s where I’m learning. The good news is I don’t have to book our airport transportation for months… plenty of time to decide (and change my mind! :laughing: ).

I have to share two funny stories about my older daughter, M.

While picking up her toys last night she instructed me to not pick up the Barbie suitcase, backpack, and shoulder bag (all Barbie-sized). When I asked why, she said they were (her favorite stuffy) Ellie’s bags for Disney World. Then she added that she (M) can’t wait to go to Disney World.

Ah, my heart! :love:

The other very funny comment from M that threw me for a loop was an unexpected ride request. She told me she wants to go with me on Expedition Everest (yes, she used the entire ride name) in order to see the Yeti. I mentioned that Everest is a pretty intense roller coaster and she said that was fine.

This is the same girl that is nervous about riding the Barnstormer and is still considering if she can brave Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Slinky Dog.

But Everest? No problem! :confused3:laughing: (That Yeti is a strong pull!)

I don’t know if she’ll decide to ride Everest once we get there (or if she’ll be tall enough - she’s pretty petite for a five-year-old!) but this exchange was a hoot.

Up Next: Planned Disney Schedule

Last edited:
Our Disney Schedule, Take 1 (-ish)

One of my favorite parts of Disney planning is planning our Disney schedule. I know one reason people don’t like Disney is the amount of planning involved… but I LOVE it. The park plans, the must-dos, the ADRs… creating lists and dreaming of the food I can eat is my idea of a good time.

A few things to note about my planning…
  • I LOVE table service restaurants so don’t be surprised with how many are included. I love the forced break in the A/C and find it’s easier to stay hydrated when I’m downing 2-3 iced teas during lunch. ADRs I plan to book are highlighted in red.
  • I’m a park hopping fan.
  • I love exploring the other resorts, hence the meals at other resorts.
  • We’re including two “off” days from the parks to enjoy each resort’s pool. They are planned after late nights in the parks to allow for (some) sleeping in and a lower-key day.
  • I’m unsure whether or not to include time at Disney Springs. I’ve gone there on most trips but it’s never been a priority. Perhaps it’s easier to leave it off the schedule?
Here’s my latest take on our daily plan, certainly subject to change (and a few things left to decide).

Day 1 - Thursday, May 23rd
Travel to Orlando, pick up rental stroller, enjoy time at Polynesian resort (exploring, swimming, unpacking), and Contemporary (dinner)
B - Home/Airport
L - Captain Cook’s (Poly)
D - Chef Mickey’s (Contemporary)

Day 2 - Friday, May 24th
Magic Kingdom (morning and evening) with afternoon break
B - Crystal Palace (MK)
L - Skipper’s Canteen (MK)
D - Be Our Guest (MK) or 1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian) if reopened?

Day 3 - Saturday, May 25th
Animal Kingdom (morning into afternoon), AKL (dinner) and Magic Kingdom (evening fireworks)

B - In room
L - Tusker House (AK)
D - Boma (AKL) + Fireworks Dessert Party (MK)

Day 4 - Sunday, May 26th
Resort Day (swimming, resort activities, relaxing, Trader Sam’s?) and Wilderness Lodge (dinner)

B - ‘Ohana (Poly)
L - Captain Cook’s or Barefoot Pool Bar (Poly)
D - Artist Point (WL)

Day 5 - Monday, May 27th
Magic Kingdom (morning and evening) with afternoon break, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for M

B - In room/Captain Cook’s (Poly)
L - Cinderella’s Royal Table (MK)
D - ‘Ohana (Poly)

Day 6 - Tuesday, May 28th
Epcot (morning), move to Beach Club Villas, Hollywood Studios (evening and Fantasmic)

B - Garden Grill (Epcot)
L - Via Napoli (Epcot)
D - Sci-Fi Dine-In or 50’s Prime Time (HS - Fantastmic Dinner Package)

Day 7 - Wednesday, May 29th
Resort Day (swimming, resort activities, relaxing) and MK Extra Magic Hours (alone time for me)

B - Topolino’s Terrace (Riviera)
L - Hurricane Hanna’s (Beach Club)
D - Unsure? (Flying Fish, Epcot TS?)

Day 8 - Thursday, May 30th
Hollywood Studios (morning), afternooon break, Epcot (evening, and maybe night show?)

B - Beach Club Marketplace (Beach Club)
L - Roundup Rodeo BBQ or Hollywood Brown Derby (HS)
D - Epcot TS (Teppan Edo, La Hacienda de San Angel, or Le Cellier?)

Day 9 - Friday, May 31st
Epcot (morning), afternoon break for repacking, Magic Kingdom (evening)

B - Beach Club Marketplace (Beach Club) or Les Halles (Epcot)
L - Flower and Garden Festival Booths?
D - Be Our Guest (MK) - alternate time for 5/24 ADR

Day 10 - Saturday, June 1st
Resort breakfast, travel to airport and fly home

B - Cape May Cafe (Beach Club) or Trattoria al Forno (Boardwalk)
L - Airport
D - Home

As you can see, I have pretty good daily plans but several undecided meals. I’m pretty set on most of the popular/must-book dining, so perhaps I’ll book something and then switch it out later (or day-of) once I see how our crew is doing with dining? I feel a bit out of my element trying to figure out dining with young kids (other than booking a ton of character meals!), but think I can figure it out by dining day.

Up Next: 91 Days and Counting!

Last edited:
While picking up her toys last night she instructed me to not pick up the Barbie suitcase, backpack, and shoulder bag (all Barbie-sized). When I asked why, she said they were (her favorite stuffy) Ellie’s bags for Disney World. Then she added that she (M) can’t wait to go to Disney World.
awwww...
The other very funny comment from M that threw me for a loop was an unexpected ride request. She told me she wants to go with me on Expedition Everest (yes, she used the entire ride name) in order to see the Yeti. I mentioned that Everest is a pretty intense roller coaster and she said that was fine.

This is the same girl that is nervous about riding the Barnstormer and is still considering if she can brave Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Slinky Dog.

But Everest? No problem! :confused3:laughing: (That Yeti is a strong pull!)

I don’t know if she’ll decide to ride Everest once we get there (or if she’ll be tall enough - she’s pretty petite for a five-year-old!) but this exchange was a hoot.
:laughing:
See what happens 1. after she sees the drop and hears the screams and 2. when she gets to the front of the line.

HI! Not sure if I have commented, but I am following along! I have a 3 year old and 20 month old (at least I think he is 20, I lost count recently), and I have been Following PixieDustedMom on YouTube and she is AMAZING for tips with toddlers! Her kids are about the same age difference as mine so it is super helpful! We also purchase seats for our "lap baby" age children. I was on a flight with terrible turbulence once and someone dropped their baby on the plane. That was enough for me (many years pre-children) to decide to fly with a car seat. We have the cheap Cosco Senera Next carseats and my daughter calls it her "airplane seat." She gets so excited when we bring it out!
Welcome, Katie! Thanks so much for joining in!

Yes, I’ve watched several of Pixie Dusted Mom’s videos! I feel like the YouTubers pack a lot more on their strollers than I plan (or hope!) to, but they’ve given me some things to think about.

The car seat on the plane is a must-do for us. (And yikes - I can’t imagine dropping my baby on a plane!) I considered the Cosco Senera but ended up with another lightweight car seat, an Evenflo SureRide DLX. We used it on a flight when M was 15-months-old and it worked well. L may not know to be excited about riding on an airplane but M sure is!

What? Highway robbery.

Literally.
Indeed. I expected a ridiculous price but it was WAY more ridiculous than I expected.

See what happens 1. after she sees the drop and hears the screams and 2. when she gets to the front of the line.
Yes, I don’t think it’s going to happen. Certainly, I’ll take her on if she wants but I don’t want to ruin the rest of our day. :scared: Thankfully we’ll be at MK first so we’ll see how Barnstormer and Seven Dwarfs go and go from there.

Yes, I don’t think it’s going to happen. Certainly, I’ll take her on if she wants but I don’t want to ruin the rest of our day. :scared: Thankfully we’ll be at MK first so we’ll see how Barnstormer and Seven Dwarfs go and go from there.
Good test coasters. If she can handle that... hmmm... I think BTMRR is less intense than EE. Better still, SDD would be a good next step, I'd think?

Hi! I just kind of stumbled in here because your dates are similar to mine, and your meal planning list really caught my attention. I personally like sit down meals too, but my family would kill me if I even tried to plan that much down time on our trips. At this point for us it's one sit down, and booths/qs/club level snacks for the rest of our day. As far as the rides go, my youngest rode SDD when she was 4 and loved it. I know not all kids are so brave but TBH the most crying exits I've ever seen has been in the Haunted Mansion. BTM, SDD, SDMT are all very kid friendly rides. Tron and Guardians may be too intense for more skittish kids, but I'm basing it off of my now eight year old who rode EVERYTHING once at 6, adding Tron this year, and loving it. The only things she doesn't like are EE, Kali, and dinosaur for more intense rides, and It's a small world, and Journey for slower ones....oh and she LOVES living with the Land for some weird reason... Unfortunately, all kids are different so all anyone can really offer up are personal experiences. I wouldn't be to worried though. Most kids are crazy brave at that age.

Travel to Orlando, pick up rental stroller, enjoy time at Polynesian resort (exploring, swimming, unpacking), and Contemporary (dinner)
B - Home/Airport
L - Captain Cook’s (Poly)

Captain Cook's is always a solid QS meal. Plus, it'll help you all settle in and start enjoying the resort!

Day 3 - Saturday, May 25th
Animal Kingdom (morning into afternoon), AKL (dinner) and Magic Kingdom (evening fireworks)

B - In room
L - Tusker House (AK)
D - Boma (AKL) + Fireworks Dessert Party (MK)

The Firework Dessert Party has soooo many sweets, so I'd keep that in mind before a Boma buffet. But then again, I'm thinking of my husband, who would eat his weight in zebra domes if he could. :rotfl:

Day 5 - Monday, May 27th
Magic Kingdom (morning and evening) with afternoon break, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for M

B - In room/Captain Cook’s (Poly)
L - Cinderella’s Royal Table (MK)

Cinderella's Royal Table will be perfect after BBB. :goodvibes

Day 6 - Tuesday, May 28th
Epcot (morning), move to Beach Club Villas, Hollywood Studios (evening and Fantasmic)

B - Garden Grill (Epcot)
L - Via Napoli (Epcot)
D - Sci-Fi Dine-In or 50’s Prime Time

I feel like Sci Fi could go either way with young kids. They'll either love the ability to watch the screens the entire meal, or they'll be too distracted to eat. I'd say one thing to keep in mind is you'll probably be split two and two in the rows.

Day 8 - Thursday, May 30th
Hollywood Studios (morning), afternooon break, Epcot (evening, and maybe night show?)

B - Beach Club Marketplace (Beach Club)
L - Roundup Rodeo BBQ

TSL is a great place to spend in the morning with kids in DHS. So Roundup would be really convenient. But then again, by that point you might just want something light like the cobb salad from Brown Derby.
Basically, I have no advice on that front. :rotfl:

I completely get why you like having set ADRs. Those breaks are necessary on busy park days! Plus, it helps a lot with having a plan. As a parent, knowing what's coming can be key!
It sounds like you all are going to be having some great meals. Reading your list makes me wish I were going to a Disney restaurant right now. :rotfl:

Also, that yeti and the "backwards part" are so appealing to little kids! They really did make that ride seem cool. I'll be curious to hear what M thinks when she sees the mountain in person.

Good test coasters. If she can handle that... hmmm... I think BTMRR is less intense than EE. Better still, SDD would be a good next step, I'd think?
Yes, my plan was to start with Barnstormer (little and short), then 7DMT, and then Slinky Dog on our HS day. I was going to bypass BTMRR for M this trip (as she seems skittish about roller coasters) as it’s more intense than the other coasters I listed. And I’m not even considering RnRC or TRON for her (and she wouldn’t be tall enough for the second one anyway).

I wish we were in HS before AK so we could try Slinky Dog first, but it doesn’t make sense to visit HS until we’re at the Beach Club.

Hi! I just kind of stumbled in here because your dates are similar to mine, and your meal planning list really caught my attention. I personally like sit down meals too, but my family would kill me if I even tried to plan that much down time on our trips. At this point for us it's one sit down, and booths/qs/club level snacks for the rest of our day. As far as the rides go, my youngest rode SDD when she was 4 and loved it. I know not all kids are so brave but TBH the most crying exits I've ever seen has been in the Haunted Mansion. BTM, SDD, SDMT are all very kid friendly rides. Tron and Guardians may be too intense for more skittish kids, but I'm basing it off of my now eight year old who rode EVERYTHING once at 6, adding Tron this year, and loving it. The only things she doesn't like are EE, Kali, and dinosaur for more intense rides, and It's a small world, and Journey for slower ones....oh and she LOVES living with the Land for some weird reason... Unfortunately, all kids are different so all anyone can really offer up are personal experiences. I wouldn't be to worried though. Most kids are crazy brave at that age.
Welcome - I’m so glad you stumbled over! When is your trip?

I may go a tad overboard with the meals, but frankly, I’ve done it this way for the last four trips and really like touring this way and enjoy the restaurants. I feel like I still have plenty of time for attractions and appreciate the forced break (and free refills). Thankfully my family is not used to a certain way of touring so I can plan it as I’m used to. That said, we may scrap some of it and go for more QS meals instead if the multiple meals are too much.

M is such a funny one when it comes to rides - she reminds me a lot of my younger sister Anika as a kid. Both of them are cautious and perhaps a bit nervous about new things - but 9 times out of 10 they love something once they try it. She practically flies down the street on her scooter and I can spin her like crazy on the tire swing… but she was NOT a fan of the family-friendly coaster at our amusement park this summer. (It was probably most comparable to BTMRR, but with less exciting scenery.)

I agree that SDMT is a great starter coaster (I’ve not been on SDD yet, but certainly read the same). M is excited about the “easy” rides like Dumbo, IASM, Nemo, and Journey into Imagination but is also VERY excited about MMRR and Soarin’. She’s also interested in Flights of Passage (perhaps because I’ve described it as “flying”) - so, basically anything that’s not a roller coaster. :laughing: She is also not excited about Haunted Mansion but is willing to try it once as her mommy LOVES that attraction. (Although, interestingly, she’d LOVE to go on the Nightmare Before Christmas version available at Disneyland during the holidays… kids! :rolleyes: :confused3 )

I think my plan at this point is to make some general attraction “plans” and adapt as we go. I think that’s all you can do with kids, anyway! Thank you so much for your feedback and insight. :goodvibes

Captain Cook's is always a solid QS meal. Plus, it'll help you all settle in and start enjoying the resort!
I’m so excited to try Capt. Cook’s! I’ve heard so many great things about it (the nachos, pork sandwich, and Thai meatballs all sound especially good!) and can’t wait to have it so close.

I’d originally planned to grab food from the airport, but with our flight arriving around noon and our likely town car travel experience, we should get to the Poly close to one o’clock (which should feel like noon to our Midwest bodies). Mostly, I’d prefer Capt. Cook’s to airport food so I’ll feed us any snacks necessary to make it there for lunch. :laughing:

The Firework Dessert Party has soooo many sweets, so I'd keep that in mind before a Boma buffet. But then again, I'm thinking of my husband, who would eat his weight in zebra domes if he could. :rotfl:
It certainly does! I’m not 100% set on this plan, but am unsure of another good place to fit in Boma. I’d actually not planned to go to Boma (or the AKL) at all, but between a YouTube review by Addicted to the Mouse (I LOVE their food reviews!) and @StarWarsMomofGirls! ’s Boma review on her trip report… I’m trying to find a way to squeeze it in. :rotfl:

If I do decide to move forward with an AKL dinner plan, I may shift Tusker House to a late breakfast so we don’t eat the same food two meals in a row. Another option is Sanaa, but I’m not sure if my family would be as excited about the bread service (I know! :rolleyes: ) and I prefer Jambo House to Kidani Village.

In short, I have no idea if this will be our final plan or if we’ll scrap it for a MK QS option or an early dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe (tasty, but less, food). Also, the main reason I’m booking the dessert party is to get prime seating without a long wait (but want a few desserts regardless!).

Cinderella's Royal Table will be perfect after BBB. :goodvibes

Would you believe I’ve never been to CRT?! I’ve always picked Akershus over CRT for a princess meal, but I agree that the castle is the perfect choice after BBB. I’m excited to try it and I think the girls will LOVE it!

Let’s just hope I can get an ADR there (likely) after I snag a reservation for BBB (tougher - those reservations disappear FAST! :scared: )

I feel like Sci Fi could go either way with young kids. They'll either love the ability to watch the screens the entire meal, or they'll be too distracted to eat. I'd say one thing to keep in mind is you'll probably be split two and two in the rows.
I didn’t even have Sci-Fi on my radar until M spotted it on a YouTube video and asked, “what is that?” She seems very interested in eating there, while I am unsure (between L perhaps eating better in a highchair, plus the darkness of the restaurant). I think I’m more likely to book 50’s Prime Time (a personal favorite and very highchair-friendly) and save Sci-Fi for a future trip when the kids are bigger.

TSL is a great place to spend in the morning with kids in DHS. So Roundup would be really convenient. But then again, by that point you might just want something light like the cobb salad from Brown Derby.
Basically, I have no advice on that front. :rotfl:
I’m so torn on this one! I’d love to try a new place, but the reviews for Roundup Rodeo give me pause. I’m not sure we’d want a two hour meal in the middle of the day, plus I’m nervous about the overhead speaker noise. Hollywood Brown Derby would be so much faster (and cheaper!) - and yes, I’d absolutely get that Cobb salad! :goodvibes

I completely get why you like having set ADRs. Those breaks are necessary on busy park days! Plus, it helps a lot with having a plan. As a parent, knowing what's coming can be key!
It sounds like you all are going to be having some great meals. Reading your list makes me wish I were going to a Disney restaurant right now. :rotfl:
It seems to work so well for me, especially in the heat. I think it’s less necessary in cooler weather - I’d be happy to sit outside La Cantina with tacos and chips in 70 degree temperatures! I think it’s also what I’ve gotten used to at Disney World, as I’ve eaten zero meals at table service restaurants inside the Universal parks and been perfectly happy.

And, sorry about that… just thinking about the restaurants makes me hungry, too! :laughing:

Also, that yeti and the "backwards part" are so appealing to little kids! They really did make that ride seem cool. I'll be curious to hear what M thinks when she sees the mountain in person.
I seriously don’t know where the request for Everest came from! :laughing: I think it’s unlikely she’ll ride it during this trip (especially once she sees how big that mountain is!), but I guess we’ll see!

Thank you so much for your feedback on our initial plans! This is about my fourth attempt at a schedule (it changed as our dates shifted and as I added extra nighttime plans) and I’m sure it will change again - but that’s part of the fun, isn’t it? :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter