Our first stay as DVC owners

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
We stayed from May 4-11. We didn't have enough points to stay the whole time so we stayed off-site for the first two nights. Then, half of our party left on Wednesday, so we switched resorts AGAIN to not have to pay extra for the dining plan, which is a must for us. The first leg of our DVC stay was AKL - Kidani. The second leg was Saratoga Springs.

Our trip was lovely. It was HOT. The only think I think we waited for that we didn't get a FP+ for was TSM. It was a long wait but worth it. We got a rider swap for FOP and DH decided he wouldn't be able to stomach it, so instead of double dipping, knowing how long the wait was, we gave it to a family who hadn't had a chance to ride and boy were they happy!

Kidani was beautiful. Our room at Saratoga was hurting for maintenance. The ac didn't work well, nor did the sink stopper. The grout was filthy looking and the jets in the tub were weak. Glad our home is getting a makeover soon.

Even with the room being less than spectacular, we preferred our stay at SSR. We weren't a fan of the layout at Kidani or the long echoing hallways. And we love being close to Disney Springs.

Overall, it was such a magical trip and I wish we didn't have this 14 hour drive ahead of us :sad1::sad:

ETA: It is amazing how much being DVC owners changed our touring style. We know we are coming back, so it just feels like all the pressure is off. Doesn't matter if we hit this ride, we'll get it in 2 years. We can skip that night show and catch it next time. It is so freeing.

Glad to hear how much you enjoyed your trip. I know SSR needs refurbishment, and I hope they do a good job. We can come up a reason to like every one of the DVC resorts, we own at most of them.:)

Love this we have our first stay as owners coming up in June, we are staying at AKL Kindani 1 bedroom for 4nights. Already I have noticed they way we plan for the trip is different as owners. Thanks for sharing!

I've been thinking about staying at SSR but I think I will wait a bit to see if they may refurb. We stayed at Kidani savanah view last summer and it was pretty awesome. Love the laid back atmosphere.

We are so excited about our first trip as DVC owners next week! Staying at CCV in a 2 bedroom, bringing along our two "adult":) boys and teen daughter! I think my oldest (25) is the most excited since he has not been back to WDW since he was 16. So looking forward to some warm weather because there certainly hasn't been any in the N.E.

Our home resort is AK, but we have actually stayed at SSR more often. I agree, I like the proximity to Disney Springs. Some rooms are better off than others, one building seemed to be pretty new, in fact.

We bounced around resorts, finding rooms where we could, and just sampling. If you are down with that, I think it's a fun way to have a trip for a while until you decide where you like to go.

We were in the Grandstand last week, and we love SSR - having DS a short walk away is great, especially if you are looking for something to do in the evening. I think this makes SSR really attractive, but a lot of people still dont seem to enjoy the vibe of SSR, personally - we love it.

The SSR refurb is top quality. A bit like Riviera with both the same Murphy sofa as in Riviera and the under TV little Murphy in both 1 and 2 beds. The studio gets the Murphy sofa but no under TV Murphy. The quality of the refurb looks very high- a significant notch above the BWV and BCV ones for example, and I like both of those. Only Riviera and SSR will have both the Sofa Murphy and under TV Murphy in 1 and 2 beds.
SSR popularity will be much higher when these lovely rooms are commissioned.

We just finished our first stay in a dedicated two bedroom at Kidnai ( standard view). It was much larger than in the videos to me. There were 5 of us...me, DH, our friend and her 18 yr old son and 14 yr old daughter...so everyone kinda needed their own space. I could get the meals going or at least follow her instructions ( I'm not a cook) and then they could take their time returning to the room. DH and I like spending time at the resort so I did some of the laundry for them too. All in all it was a great room and very clean. DH who is a man of few words, looked at me and said " Never book us in a studio again!!" Of course he was kidding. But we will travel again in fall of 2020 and plan on taking my MIL and BIL, so once again the 2 bedroom will be awesome. We purchased in 2009 and have only ever stayed in studios....if will now be hard going back to that small room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!