Our Grandest Trip Ever... Literally! - August 2019 PTR *TR LINK POSTED 8/25*

This is so fun to follow! We will also be at the GF, overlapping with you. This is our first trip (kids first trip, DH and I were at disney a million years ago for new years...) and we CANNOT wait. August 22nd - 27th. I'm so jealous of your Storybook dining ADR, I didn't know about that one and missed it. Hopefully I'll be able to snag one with an alert...

:welcome: Thank you so much for following along, I so appreciate it!

A trip of firsts, I love to hear that!! It's going to be SUCH a magical time for your family!

I'm confident that you'll snatch a Storybook Dining reservation with an ADR alert, they've done miracles for me!

Following along! How awesome that you're staying at the Grand!

Thanks for sharing the tip about California Grill brunch reservations! I've been watching vlogs on it for weeks too and it's one of my must-do ADRs for October!

:welcome: Thank you so much for following, I really appreciate it!

Fingers crossed that you can book CG Brunch when your date comes along!! It looks incredible!

Have you been able to snag your Cali Grill brunch yet? I am still hoping one will pop up for me on 9/15 :sad: its gotten to the point where I'm dreaming about dining alerts for it :rotfl:

Have you been able to snag your Cali Grill brunch yet? I am still hoping one will pop up for me on 9/15 :sad: its gotten to the point where I'm dreaming about dining alerts for it :rotfl:

I have NOT :guilty: but I REFUSE to give up hope. My touring plan finder has come through for me before, I know it will prevail again!! I'm sure we're both going to find our dream ADR!

The Tea on Summer 2019
So I've been quiet on this thread for the past month, and it's been totally on purpose. But now... it's time to spill the tea, the whole tea, and nothing but the tea:

Spill the Tea (Verb):
To tell the truth, give someone the hot gossip, and post the FACTS online.

3iuI.gif

So back in February, I applied for the Summer 2019 Disney College Program. For anyone who might be unaware on how the DCP works: there are three "sessions" every year: spring/spring advantage, fall/fall advantage, and Summer. The Spring and Fall programs are a semester long, and anyone who is in school or has graduated within the past year is eligible to apply and participate. The Summer program, however, is only for Alumni who have already completed a program.

Basically, I applied and did both stages of the interview process within a week. In years past, if you had gotten a phone interview for the Summer program, there was a 90% chance you were getting an offer. So I had this mindset that I was 100% doing the program for about two months. During this time, I didn't post anything about this entire process on the PTR. First of all, to save everyone's time an energy, I wanted to wait until I had an official offer and had my role before I told the people on the DIS. Second of all, I didn't want to jinx my chance at getting into the Summer Program.

tenor.gif

Long story short: I waited about two months to hear back, then I withdrew my application. Some of you may remember I'm a camp counselor over the summer. My camp needed to know whether I was going back to camp this summer or not, and Disney had not given me an offer yet. At this point in the application season, a lot of us were losing hope that there would be more Summer offers, and I wasn't going to turn down my summer camp without a definite offer from Disney World. So I took my Summer Alumni DCP application completely out of consideration and said "yes" to my summer camp. The whole thing was a SAGA, you can read the full story here. We found out a few days later that only 50 people in general were accepted, and most people who applied were NLIC.

So the funny thing is this: normally, only DCP Alumni who are still in school/recently graduated can apply for the Summer program. This year, any DCP Alumni were invited to apply. So they opened up the application pool to more people, but they made less offers on the whole. Go figure.

I was sad about this for APPROXIMATELY four hours... but then, I booked an even more exciting opportunity! It's still a secret to some people in my life who may or may not read these boards, so I can't post about it for a while, but I CANNOT wait to reveal it!!

In general, this is not a sad post. I'm excited to be going back to camp, and I have a hunch this worked out for the best. My summer camp runs from the last week of June to the first week of August. Hopefully, Grace will be with me this year! Today was Accepted Students Day at Montclair State, so she visited the campus again and met up with a few of her friends. She'll be dorming with a girl she goes to high school with. We're so excited for her! She couldn't be happier.

Glad to hear things worked out for you! It would’ve been very annoying to have been waiting on DCP and turned down camp and had nothing at the end!

I know this decision was not an easy one for you and I'm still so proud you made it. <3

Now, here's to wondering if I know your big news or not or have a good inkling of it...

Glad to hear things worked out for you! It would’ve been very annoying to have been waiting on DCP and turned down camp and had nothing at the end!

Thank you! That was definitely my thought process-- whether I'm in Disney or not, the main thing is that I'm WORKING this summer. I was definitely not about to go back to the drawing board after turning down camp and potentially getting rejected by DCP!

I know this decision was not an easy one for you and I'm still so proud you made it. <3

Now, here's to wondering if I know your big news or not or have a good inkling of it...

I love you lots! You're going to kill it in Merch this year :hug:

You know what? I actually don't think you know what it is this time! You can always text me your guesses... you have my number ;)

Sounds like things worked out the way they should have. You're still going to have an amazing summer! Can't wait to hear what news you have to reveal!

I was sad about this for APPROXIMATELY four hours... but then, I booked an even more exciting opportunity! It's still a secret to some people in my life who may or may not read these boards, so I can't post about it for a while, but I CANNOT wait to reveal it!!
It's too bad about the summer program, but now I'm super curious about this one!

Does it involve a passport? Or long flight? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Joining in on the fun as a fellow person going in August. My family is going July 30-August 1st. I am really enjoying the read so far but I am very sorry about the college program. A friend did it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I hope you will be able it at another time. Also very excited to hear about the news you have!!!

Sounds like things worked out the way they should have. You're still going to have an amazing summer! Can't wait to hear what news you have to reveal!

Hopefully, everything worked out the way it should! It's small news, but I'm really excited to reveal it!

It's too bad about the summer program, but now I'm super curious about this one!

Does it involve a passport? Or long flight? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!!

I WISH it involved a passport or a long flight!! It's something super small to most, but I'll give you a hint: it's a geeky thing that my sister and I will get to do together!

Joining in on the fun as a fellow person going in August. My family is going July 30-August 1st. I am really enjoying the read so far but I am very sorry about the college program. A friend did it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I hope you will be able it at another time. Also very excited to hear about the news you have!!!

:welcome: Thank you so much for being here, I really appreciate it!

Woot woot for the August train!! So exciting!! :woohoo:

I loved my first DCP, too! I definitely miss the DCP lifestyle, but my hope is to return to the program next year! I'm excited to share the news!!

Our First Set of Park Plans/Spreadsheets!
Four months from today, my family will be pulling into Disney's Grand Floridian Resort! :woohoo:

We also had our first ADR switch! Instead of breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, we're going to have breakfast at The Wave before we head off to Magic Kingdom. Well, having breakfast at The Wave if we don't get into California Grill Brunch. Knock on wood.

We also have our first set of Park Plans ready!

This trip, I'm using Google Sheet spreadsheets for the first time and I'm kind of addicted? In the past, I haven't used Google Sheets because everything has been on my PTR threads, but I decided to give it another shot for this trip and I'm having a lot of fun while keeping all of my information in the same place. Sheets is also so user friendly! I'm having a lot of fun building a Master Sheet with tons of different tabs for park hours, packing lists, and dates for when our windows open.

Here's a screen grab of my first sheet, which is where the itinerary lives:

spreadsheet.png
She's kinda bare right now because I haven't had the time to really sit down and plan the nitty-gritty stuff, but she has our park plans!

Sunday/Arrival Day: Magic Kingdom. Our plan is to arrive, park our stuff and drop off our bags, get breakfast at the Contemporary, and then have some park fun at Magic Kingdom until our room is ready! Then, we'll probably go back to our room, change into our bathing suits, and have fun at the pool until we get dinner.

Monday: Epcot. Epcot has become our new normal first-park-of-the-trip.

Tuesday: DHS/MK. I'm going to try to rope drop DHS, but I don't know if my family will be up to the feat! They'll probably want to relax before we head off to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party that evening.

Wednesday: DAK. Wednesday is supposed to be the best day to visit DAK, but I haven't decided whether or not I want to go here or DHS for this day yet. DAK will be the quieter park, but we're going to DAK the next day. If we can't book Moonlight Magic, we'll go to DAK on this day.

Thursday: MK/DAK. We have a late lunch at MK planned, then we're going to try to book Moonlight Magic at DAK for the evening. If we can't do DAK, I'll switch this day around so we can do DHS.

Friday: MK/Disney Springs. I'll book a few MK FP+ for the morning, but we'll probably pack before we head to dinner at Homecomin'.

Saturday: Leave :sad:

So far, planning this trip is going pretty smoothly! I think planning around the two hard ticket events is definitely helping this process.

-Kaitlyn

Oo I might have to try google sheets. I always just throw everything into a word document but that looks so much prettier!

Oo I might have to try google sheets. I always just throw everything into a word document but that looks so much prettier!

I really love Sheets! It's a lot easier to use than I thought it would be, and the multi-sheet function is really useful!

Your plans sound great! I've heard good things about the Wave breakfast, I think that's a good backup if you can't get CG!

Thank you! We looooove dinner at The Wave, and I really want to try the sweet potato pancakes!

We found out a few days later that only 50 people in general were accepted, and most people who applied were NLIC.
ezgif.com-resize (1).gif
Boo.

So they opened up the application pool to more people, but they made less offers on the whole
ariel shrug.gif
Slow clap for Disney HR

It's still a secret to some people in my life who may or may not read these boards, so I can't post about it for a while, but I CANNOT wait to reveal it!!
ariel pout gif.gif
Ugh I hate secrets! I need to know!!

This trip, I'm using Google Sheet spreadsheets for the first time and I'm kind of addicted? In the past, I haven't used Google Sheets because everything has been on my PTR threads, but I decided to give it another shot for this trip and I'm having a lot of fun while keeping all of my information in the same place. Sheets is also so user friendly! I'm having a lot of fun building a Master Sheet with tons of different tabs for park hours, packing lists, and dates for when our windows open.
happy ariel.gif
Did someone say spreadsheets?? I LOVE SPREADSHEETS

Seriously though, bummed that you didn't get DCP but summer camp sounds so fun! I worked at a summer camp as well and they can be truly magical. And yay for plans taking form!!

View attachment 395425
Boo.

View attachment 395422
Slow clap for Disney HR

View attachment 395424
Ugh I hate secrets! I need to know!!

View attachment 395426
Did someone say spreadsheets?? I LOVE SPREADSHEETS

Seriously though, bummed that you didn't get DCP but summer camp sounds so fun! I worked at a summer camp as well and they can be truly magical. And yay for plans taking form!!

Do u even understand how much I ADORE u and ur gifs? Why do u have the perfect post for everything?????????? You are legit amazing. "Slow clap for Disney HR" LOOOL essentially!!!

I PROMISE this secret will be revealed in like two months and it's also not a huge secret that will impact anyone here I just don't want someone in my family to know about it until I reveal it to them specifically

SPREADSHEEEETS. This one is coming along rather nicely compared to my previous ones, so I'm #stanning.

You are so sweet! I love my summer camp fam and my campers, so I'm excited to go back regardless of the DCP drama. Yay for plans!!!!

There is nothing better than a good spreadsheet.

You got that right!!! :thumbsup2

I'm home for a long weekend and coming out of hiding! :rotfl: Welcome to the spreadsheet fam. There's no turning back now!:thumbsup2:rotfl2: Your plans sound so great!!

giphy.gif

Welcome out of hiding!! Hope you're enjoying your Easter and long weekend!!!

I really don't think there is any turning back now-- you were the one who #inspired me to do spreads this year because yours always come out so nice!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!