Our Great Quest for Elusive Moose! ~ A Grand Teton/Yellowstone TR - Completed!

Great trip report!!! Thanks for taking the time to write and share it with us - I know that's a lot of work.

I'm glad you finally saw a couple of moose - that's wonderful! We never did see any on our Yellowstone trip, so we were disappointed. But that's really just about the only thing that didn't go as planned for us.

Thanks!:flower3: I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to see a moose.

Anyway, my DH says that it was the best $50 he ever spent by giving it to the ranger to move the animatronic moose out to the river bank! :laughing:

Thank you for another great trip report.
I am in the planning stage of driving from Ct to Vancouver BC with a stop in yellowstone on the way out and posibly yosemite on the way home.

a four week trip with a diseny cruise to alaska.

Sadly I will only have a day in each park this time, but will get a taste from another trip

That was a great trip report. It looks like we are going to go to YNP/GTNP in July 2011 afterall... When we asked our children where they wanted to go they both said Yellowstone. Since I am also from the Phoenix area I was wondering if you ever priced flying into Jackson, WY and was it a lot more expensive? Also what was the drive time from SLC to GTNP/YNP to SLC?

Thanks,

Beth

That was a great trip report. It looks like we are going to go to YNP/GTNP in July 2011 afterall... When we asked our children where they wanted to go they both said Yellowstone. Since I am also from the Phoenix area I was wondering if you ever priced flying into Jackson, WY and was it a lot more expensive? Also what was the drive time from SLC to GTNP/YNP to SLC?

Thanks,

Beth

Hey Beth, your family will love the parks. The problem with flying to Jackson is that you have to lay over either in Denver or Salt Lake City, there are no direct flights. I looked at Frontier and US Airways, both of which charge for bags. Flights to Jackson were much more expensive than flying into Salt Lake City and driving. The drive was about 6 hours (same as from here to Anaheim), but the landscape was like nothing we ever see here in Arizona or along the I-10.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you want to book your accommodations inside the parks now!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! :)

Thank you for another great trip report.
I am in the planning stage of driving from Ct to Vancouver BC with a stop in yellowstone on the way out and posibly yosemite on the way home.

a four week trip with a diseny cruise to alaska.

Sadly I will only have a day in each park this time, but will get a taste from another trip

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I would love to see Vancouver someday. Our nieghbors are going to Vancouver next May and taking DCL to Alaska.

I figure even a day at the park is better than none at all! Hope you can fit them both into your itinerary. If you are wanting accommodations within the parks, you should probably book them as soon as possible. :)

Thanks for the flight information Wendy... I think we will probably stick with flying into SLC... We may flight in the evening before and stay in SLC and get up early and drive up to WY... but on return flight I would like to try to drive directly to airport and flight home the same day... Is that what you did and did you?

I have managed to get our lodging reserved in YNP (Snow lodge and Canyon) and we are on the wait list for Jackson Lake Lodge...

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the flight information Wendy... I think we will probably stick with flying into SLC... We may flight in the evening before and stay in SLC and get up early and drive up to WY... but on return flight I would like to try to drive directly to airport and flight home the same day... Is that what you did and did you?

This is exactly what we did. Not the original plan, but it worked out well.

I have managed to get our lodging reserved in YNP (Snow lodge and Canyon) and we are on the wait list for Jackson Lake Lodge...

Good luck on Jackson Lake Lodge. It was really very nice staying there.
Beth

Wonderful trip report!! We will be visiting Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons for two to three days this fall and your photos and report were very much appreciated - thank you!

Great TR disneyfaninaz! Haven't had the opportunity to visit this part of the States yet, it's next on my list to visit! Those thermals look spectacular! Glad you finally go to see your 'elusive' moose! :)

I have been reading your Norway report and noticed all your other reports. Since I am obsessed with national parks I will be reading all your others! Thanks for sharing all your fun experiences and photos!

I have been reading your Norway report and noticed all your other reports. Since I am obsessed with national parks I will be reading all your others! Thanks for sharing all your fun experiences and photos!
Wow! Thank you! :flower3: We tried to mix it up a bit with our Disney obsession and see other things. Not so much now with a busy high school student the house. Hoping to get to the National Parks in other parts of the country again soon. Enjoy!

I found this report of yours when I was looking at Alaska reports (we're headed there next year!), and I'm so thankful! We're also in AZ and are taking a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in a few months. My youngest daughter is close to the age your daughter was when you took this trip, so I found the entire report super-helpful. Thanks a bunch!

I found this report of yours when I was looking at Alaska reports (we're headed there next year!), and I'm so thankful! We're also in AZ and are taking a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in a few months. My youngest daughter is close to the age your daughter was when you took this trip, so I found the entire report super-helpful. Thanks a bunch!
Thank you! Have a great trip, Yellowstone and the Tetons are beautiful parks.

Thank you! Have a great trip, Yellowstone and the Tetons are beautiful parks.

Thanks! I do have one question for you. What kind of shoes/footwear did you take? I'm trying to decide if we'll be okay with tennis shoes or if hiking boots are a must (even though we'll only do light treks like you did).

Thanks! I do have one question for you. What kind of shoes/footwear did you take? I'm trying to decide if we'll be okay with tennis shoes or if hiking boots are a must (even though we'll only do light treks like you did).
In Yellowstone, you walk on wooden platforms around the thermal features so tennis shoes worked fine. In the Tetons, we did wear hiking shoes when we climbed up the trails. Depending on the weather, tennis shoes should be fine most of the time.

We're back from our trip, and I wanted to say thank you for your valuable information! We had a fabulous time and saw tons of wildlife, including, on the very last day AFTER we exited Grand Teton, one moose! Elusive indeed!

As a note for anyone driving from SLC up that way, we enjoyed a stop at Lava Hot Springs (especially nice on our sore muscles from our hike the day before), and the Mesa Scenic Byway through Caribou-Targhee National Forest was beautiful. The waterfalls there were spectacular.

We're back from our trip, and I wanted to say thank you for your valuable information! We had a fabulous time and saw tons of wildlife, including, on the very last day AFTER we exited Grand Teton, one moose! Elusive indeed!

As a note for anyone driving from SLC up that way, we enjoyed a stop at Lava Hot Springs (especially nice on our sore muscles from our hike the day before), and the Mesa Scenic Byway through Caribou-Targhee National Forest was beautiful. The waterfalls there were spectacular.
So glad you had a great time and saw that moose. They are hard to find, right? Wish we had time to stop at the hot springs, sounds amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!