Our Late August Yellowstone trip

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
We are getting closer and Yellowstone and the Grand Teton NP seem so overwhelming. We are arriving in Jackson around 6 PM and have reservations in the Snow Lodge Frontier Cabins for the first two nights, Canyon area Frontier Cabins the next two nights and finally Coulter Bay cabins for 2 nights.

The Visitor centers close at 7 PM, so we will miss getting information when we enter the park. Will the hotel have some of the information so that we can plan the next day's activities? I do like to go on ranger talks. This is our first trip to this area, we are senior citizens, and I easier trails and bus rides would be what I would prefer. Has anyone done the Float ride down the snake river? I've been on the Chilkat reserve float ride in Alaska in the summer, that was super easy, is the Float down the Snake similar?

We do have one tour scheduled, The Teddy Bear Tour at 6:15 AM one morning to view the wildlife. Can anyone suggest another "must do" tour, considering the places we will be staying at?

We hope to go back someday, hopefully in 2 years from now.

Thank you.
Bobbi:goodvibes

You will get information as you enter the parks. Also plenty of info at the hotels as well. You can visit www.nps.gov/yell to plan ahead.

Sounds like a fun trip for you. I would do some exploring on your own without a tour.

It's always a good idea to go to the website. You can probably find all the info there.
Is Snow Lodge cabins the one in the Old Faithful area? If so, you have your first morning set with the geyser basin there. Look for the :geyser gazers," ypu can tell them by their radios . . . they are great sources of info.
Also visit, http://www.yellowstone.net/forums/index.php?sid=24767e38b1ff91c3c3a8d4fd19680a47
The float down the Snake (if from a park concessioneer) is smooth and easy. If it is the one we went on it is in Grand Teton, not Yellowstone. Most of the Ranger walk/talks are easy. The only caution is you are at 7,000 feet or so and above, that was tough for this Jersey Boy.

CPT Trips, The Snow lodge cabins are in the Old Faithful Inn area. It's good to learn that there will be things to see that are nearby. I understand that they give a tour of the historic inn, and that's of some interest to me.

The float trips that I've seen advertised are in Grand Teton.

Are bugs like mosquitoes very common?

I've gone to the national park site and I have taken out books and I have old park guides from friends who were there in '05. It just seems like there is so much.

I visited late September, no bugs to speak of. We floated with http://www.barkerewing.com/ , a class act! But I can't imagine you will go wrong with any of the outfits that have National Park permits.

I know you were looking for easy walks, but be sure to get out on trails away from the roads and crowds.

:goodvibes CPT Tripss - Between now and the Yellowstone trip, I'll be passing through the Philly Area of NJ, on the way to Cape May!

I've passed the float information to DH. Thanks.

hey just dropping in to say hey!!! we will be in montana and that area at the end of august also. We used to live up there so we are going to visit friends and yellowstone.

Then you may well pass through one of NJ's many Washington Townships . . . he slept around!

We met a couple about our age who'd taken the float trip (I think it was Barker Ewing) and they really enjoyed it. However, we chose not to do it; someone mentioned that you sit in that boat with no backrest for a couple hours-my back just cringed at the thought! For cruises, there's a real nice sounding lake cruise from the marina at Colter Bay that we planned to do,and were so disapointed when the weather kept it from happening for us. Also, there's a nice one at Bridge Bay Marina in Yellowstone. Both cruises are about an hour long each. And you might like the Jenny Lake Cruise, followed by a short hike up to Hidden Falls. Are you considering using hiking sticks when you hike? Those really saved me on loose rocks! Sorry I can't help you about bugs. In June, we dealt with snow and ice, no bugs in that weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter