Our LONG overdue trip back to MY LAUGHING PLACE! Nov. 2016

LALA8971

Disney is My Laughing Place
Hello Everyone! This is my very first trip report! I just had to write one, as this by far the most magical trip I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. The only thing that sustained me during our loooooong gap in DL visits (ok, 4 years isn't that long.....) was reading other DisBoard members trip reports. So anyone that took the time to write one in the last 4 years or so – THANK YOU!

I discovered Disboards about 6 years ago, when I was planning my sons 1st DL adventure. I wouldn't be the efficient over planner I am today, without these boards!

This is our 3rd trip to DL as a family. I was lucky to go 3 times during my middle/high school years and once with my mom about 10 years ago. My son's 1st visit was……shall we say interesting?

Oh my goodness - my kiddo was so adorable!

My husband and I had separated about 9 months prior, but I couldn’t imagine not inviting him (we were lucky enough to stay friends during our separation). We were living apart, sharing equal 50/50 custody. So me, the soon to be ex, our son, 7, my mom and my brother hit the road! Yes, we drove from Portland! We took 2 cars and 2 days to drive down. I think between the 2 day trip down and 2 days back, plus the hotels and gas in both cars, food, etc., we could have saved money by flying. But, no drama with the ex and I was so thankful that he was able to see our son discover DL and DCA. We stayed in a 2 bed/2 bath at Peacock Suites and it worked just fine (nothing incredible but nothing really wrong with it). ART delayed us several times, but it beat having to walk back. It was during spring break, so a little crowded, but the rain helped keep the crowds down. And boy did it rain!

Fast forward about 6 months……..ex is in a horrible head on collision while on the east coast for business. His wounds healed, and, well, so did my heart. We got back together about a month after that and called off the divorce about 6 months later. God sure does work in mysterious ways! So…..to celebrate, why not another DL trip? My mom would be turning 60 in October 2012, so we could use that as an additional excuse. Halloween party tickets were purchased and we ended up staying at Peacock Suites again. Gotta love the 2 bed/2 bath suite for less than some standard rooms on Harbor. They had just completed a remodel, and the updated rooms were adequate. (the pool there is a joke though). This trip, my dad joined us.

My DS and his Pepa!

My dad, 65, may have had more fun than the rest of us combined! It was amazing to see! He had been once before, on leave before Vietnam. So, like 1965 or so? He said quite a lot has changed!

The Halloween party was so much fun! And we got to meet Jack & Sally (some of my favs!).

It was really frickin’ hot for October though! I think it was 80-90 degrees with like no wind at all. All 5 of us were a little on the red side by the time we returned to Oregon. We celebrated my mom’s 60 at Carthay Circle and it was amazing! We did the WOC lunch.

DH, me, DS, DMom & Ddad

Fast forward 4 years……..4 years? Ughhhhhhhh. We had a string of family health issues, I totaled my truck, we moved twice, I changed jobs twice, my good friend (who was originally going on this trip with us) had triplets and we got a new puppy.....

That face though........:dog: He was that small for like 5 minutes (he's about 105 lbs now).

All in all, it was a crazy few years. We all made it out of the fire though and are stronger than ever.

If you have read this much, thanks! I'll begin the actual 2016 trip report soon!

Last edited:
We were fortunate enough to be able to afford a stay at the Grand this trip and I can’t imagine staying anywhere else now! Not using ART was the biggest blessing, but using SuperShuttle again was a disaster…... We also added a break day (Wednesday) this trip. It left us so refreshed for Thursday, which was the 1st day of Christmas in the parks, and a little on the busy side…...but the crappiest day at DL is better than most normal days!

The Who:

Me, 38, Operations Admin, and an obsessive over planner when it comes to vacations. I was born and raised in the beautiful state of Oregon and currently reside in the Portland area. I love to scrapbook! My scrapbook room has taken over our basement. It’s a problem, I’m working on it (I’m not really……). This was my 7th trip to DL.
Favorite ride DL: Splash / DCA: ToT

DH, 42, Chemical Engineer. Born in raised in the lovely state of Virginia. He likes our DL trips, but would much rather be in Moab riding his Mtn Bike. 4th trip.
Favorite ride DL: Space Mtn / DCA: CA Screamin'

Then there is my DS, 13, my partner in crime when it comes to Disney! He is definitely becoming a teenager........but we didn’t see any of that on this trip! I still couldn’t get him on IASW, but he humored me by getting Mickey Ears (only because it’s a tradition). This was his 3rd trip to DL.
Favorite ride DL: Space Mtn / DCA: CA Screamin'

Last, but certainly no least, my wonderful parents. They are both 60-something & happily retired. They do a lot of volunteering for the Oregon Parks Department, as camp ground hosts, and love it. The normally do 6-8 months a year. They will go along for the ride to DL as long as I plan it all. They said this was probably their last trip to Anaheim, but after the convenience of staying on site, I think I’ll be able to talk them into our next trip!

Mom - Favorite ride DL: POC / DCA: Soarin' - Dad - DL: POC / DCA: CA Screamin'

When: Flying from PDX – LAX. November 6th – 11th, 2016.

Where: Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa with 3-day Park Hoppers.

Why: Because we haven’t been to DL since October 2012!

Last edited:
Sunday, November 6th, 2016:

We flew out of PDX on Sunday morning. I think we got to the airport around 7:15, which left us plenty of time to grab some breakfast. Our Delta flight took off around 9:30 AM. We arrived at LAX a little early, about 11:45, grabbed our luggage and headed out to meet out SuperShuttle. Now we have used this service for 3 other trips between 2005 – 2012, with zero issues. On time, good drivers, clean vehicles, helpful staff, etc. Everything changed this trip. Our van pulled up about 20 minutes late, which is fine, as we knew our room wouldn’t be ready when we got to GCH, but we loaded up the van, only 1 seat left open, and sat there for another 30 minutes. There were several other issues with SuperShuttle, to and from DL, but I just don't want to dwell on those right now, because I'm writing about my happy place. If anyone would like me to go in to detail on that, just let me know.

When we arrived at the hotel, the first thing I saw was a bunch of people in their Dapper Day clothes. So cool! To everyone that participates in this event – thank you! You just made the atmosphere that much better! I’m thinking I may have to talk my mom into coming down with me next year. She is a fantastic seamstress and I be she could have us dressed to the nines! Seriously, you guys are awesome!

Our 1st view of the fireplace!

We checked in (fast and easy) and exchanged our ticket vouchers. The room wouldn’t be ready for a while, so we headed to DTD to look around. We had never ventured over there on our previous trips. We just never seemed to have the time. I gotta say, I love it! We had a nice early dinner at Tortilla Jo’s (yummmmmmmmm!). Tableside guac was a huge hit. We received the text that our room was ready at about 4:00 pm, so we headed back to change for some pool/hot-tub time!
After a few hours there, we headed back to our rooms, showered and hit the sack. We had EMH at DCA for 9:00 the next morning.

Following along. Planning our first ever trip, so I hope to pick up some tips and tricks - especially for the 13 year old. I have one of those too :eek:

Monday, 11/7:

9:00 am EMH at DCA

We stopped at Starbucks for our morning fix and headed to the security line. We about 10 groups back, but ended up 2nd in line at the gates. I was speaking to the woman in front of me and had to tell her that DCA early entry was only for hotel guests (she was staying offsite). I felt so bad watching her and her son leaving the line…...Though that did mean we were first in line!

After park opening, we slowly made our way to RSR standby and rode once. Our first time on the ride without it breaking down in the middle! I fell in love! I just didn’t have very fond memories of it for some reason. We ended up getting fast passes and riding it again that day.

Next, we went on California Screamin', which is my DS and my dad's favorite ride at DLR. They call it the screamer for some reason. I never in a million years thought my dad would love a roller coaster! We then our first ever trip to TSMM. On our previous 2 visits, the lines were always insanely long for what we did not consider a must do attraction. And of course, we all loved it, and regretted not going on before. Even my DS13 was not disappointed. He is a gamer, so this gave him a little bit of a gaming feel, without the Xbox remote……which at some point may be permanently fused to his hands. We then headed over to TOT. I LOVE that ride, and will miss its original theming. Hoping the one in FL is still Twilight Zone when we head there in 2018. But…..we also really love GOtG, and are looking forward to the change.

After that, we hit Soarin and Monster’s Inc and then over to RSR to use our FP. Stopped for a cold drink at Coca Cola Food Truck. The frozen Coke was OK, but the Fanta Orange & Cream slush was delicious! I may have went back to get a 2nd one at some point later on in the trip. My Mom and I then went in search of the perfect Minnie ears! I may or may not still wear these around the house when I’m alone……

We did a little shopping at the pier and then wandered over to Soarin'. I gotta say, I miss the old Soarin'! The new version is just OK....

After Soarin’ we took a trip to GRR (I do NOT remember getting that soaked on our last trip!). I got a wonderfully refreshing soak down the back of my shirt. My son however, was drenched! Thank goodness for the 80+ degree weather and a quick trip back to our rooms to change our shoes! There are so many reasons to stay at the GCH, but this is probably my #1. We took a short break, had a quick snack and then headed over to DL via DTD.

Following along. Planning our first ever trip, so I hope to pick up some tips and tricks - especially for the 13 year old. I have one of those too :eek:
Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions. I'm not going in to great detail on my TR.

Monday, 11/7 (Cont.):

We entered DL around 4:00. I always get goosebumps when I see this!

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

We took our time, strolling down Main Street, while my DH ran for HSM fastpasses. We headed left before the hub and our first stop was Indy (it was down for refurb on our last trip) and standby was only 20 minutes. Really loving the DL App on my phone for this information………….My son loves that ride and so glad we got to enjoy it again. On his first trip to DLR, it was the first ride he went on, so it holds a lot of sentimental value in our family. My dad was also a big fan! Next stop, POC (one of my favs!) and the HMH. I LOVE The Nightmare Before Christmas! Meeting Jack and Sally on our Halloween trip was definitely a highlight!

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

We then ran off to Star Tours (love the new versions) and used our FP for Hyperspace Mountain. Terrific! Loved the new theming, but also love all the other ones too! We had a quick dinner at Red Rocket’s Pizza Port, because it was there. Just about as mediocre as I remember it! The pasta was better than last time though. The boys went on the Matterhorn (hate, hate, hate that ride.......), While me and my mom wandered over to see the castle lit up for Christmas, for the first time. Breathtaking, but got absolutely no good photos.

Next, we all went on BTMR, as great as ever, but love the new scenes. After a little (OK, quite a lot) of shopping on Main Street, we then headed out of the park around 8:15. I think we were all in bed by 10:30 that night. All in all, an amazing first day in the parks! We accomplished everything we had planned and were looking forward to doing it again the following day!

Tuesday, 11/8:

9:00 am EMH at DL

In line about 8:30 and the gates opened promptly at 9:00. We headed toward HSM, along with all those not going to PP, only to find it closed. Oh well, hopped on Star Tours and by the time we were done, HSM was back open. Finished that around 9:45 and headed over to the Matterhorn. I hate this ride……like it’s my least favorite ride in DL. I just can’t enjoy it with all the knocking around. My son made me go on it. He is so mean that way! That will be the last time. OK, moving on!

We then headed over to New Orleans Square for a quick trip on Pirates, and then checked in for our 11:30 am lunch at Blue Bayou! We got seated at a waterside table at about 11:20 and this was the first trip here for everyone in our group. We were all very happy with what we ordered and the ambiance was incredible. We were all so glad we splurged and ate there this trip. I will want to do it every time we go back, but my husband thinks it’s just too expensive…….cheapskate! May have to settle for Café Orleans next trip. As long as I get my Monte Cristo!

We went back on POC after lunch, wait was only 10 minutes or so, and then headed over to my favorite ride! Splash Mountain! Everything about this ride makes me happy. Yes, it seemed like some of the animatronics were not working and a lot of the scenes had dark areas in them, but it’s my fav, so it doesn’t have to be perfect. We rode it once standby and then right back on using a FP. We next visited HM (wait was about 20 minutes). After that, we did some shopping (I was collecting drink coasters this trip and found quite a few I loved), hit a few more rides and then headed back over to DCA. We had night FPs for RSR (lovely at night) and wanted to end our night at GRR. We did Soarin’ and Monter’s Inc. also. I think we ended up back at the hotel around 9:00. My mom and I wandered around taking pictures and then everyone hit the sack.

Enjoying your trip report!! We were there just a few weeks after you, and I'm finally finishing up our trip report, too.
I love your Han and Leia shirts! Where did you get them?
Also, the ears. Maybe I should wear mine around the house more. Because why not?

Enjoying your trip report!! We were there just a few weeks after you, and I'm finally finishing up our trip report, too.
I love your Han and Leia shirts! Where did you get them?
Also, the ears. Maybe I should wear mine around the house more. Because why not?
Thank you for reading! I have ready and enjoyed several of your TRs!
My husband got those shirts at the Star Trader. I love them too!

Wednesday, 11/9:

Break day!

This was the first time in our last 3 trips that we decided to take a day off. While I was sad not to be seeing the parks that day, my feet desperately needed a break. We will be planning break days in the middle of any future visits.

We slept in until about 9:00 am and then headed over to Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen Express for some breakfast. Everything was so good (beignet French toast)! But my husband got the chicory coffee (he is originally from the south) and it was horrible! We will be making that a breakfast stop for future trips.

We shopped around DTD for an hour or so, then headed back to the rooms to change and then off to the pool!

Temps got up to 97 that day, so the pool was a welcome oasis. It was busy, but we had no trouble finding a row of 5 loungers. We ordered lunch & drinks from our lounge chairs (I highly recommend the Red Stag Lemonade). The food was adequate, nothing to write home about though. My dad and I headed back to our rooms for a nap, while the rest of the crew stayed and swam. I think everyone was back in the room around 5:30 or 6:00.

This is where our day flew off the rails…………….

We had a 7:30 reservation for Dinner at PCH Grill. Boy, was that a mistake. Everyone in our party was disappointed in this place and it was not worth the cost. The service was lousy, which really surprised me. I mean, we have had mediocre servers at DLR before, but this was ridiculous. Our server was just kind of sad and angry at the same time. I really felt bad for her, but at the same time was pretty ticked off myself, and still managed to smile at her (though my tip was on 10% - which is VERY hard for me to do). The food was all pretty sad looking and had been under the heat lamps for way too long. The desserts were tasteless. This restaurant was not even close to being worthy of the Disney name and we won’t be going back there again.

We headed back to the hotel by 8:30 and most of us headed to bed. We had a very early wake up on Thursday!

What a disappointing end to your day! My husband has said if we plan a trip to WDW someday that he will want a couple of relaxing days in between park days, and I'm like :scared:. Even though I know he's probably right, when it comes to Disney I refuse to believe that I'm not 18 anymore... :-)

What a disappointing end to your day! My husband has said if we plan a trip to WDW someday that he will want a couple of relaxing days in between park days, and I'm like :scared:. Even though I know he's probably right, when it comes to Disney I refuse to believe that I'm not 18 anymore... :-)
I was the same way for the 2 trips before - Go! Go! Go!. I couldn't imagine being in Anaheim and not going to one of the parks. I am so happy we chose to though. On our DW trip in 2018 we are taking 2 break days.

That stinks about PCH Grill. I had it on our list as a possible stop, but I was on the fence. I think you pushed me off it. Thanks. I can tolerate ok food, but not horrible service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter