Our recent lunch at the House of Blues

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Uncleromulus dosen't usually do lunch. But this time with having arrived at WDW at 10:00 AM (and with dinner not until 8:00), lunch seemed like a good idea. So we asked the 2 couples we were with where they wanted to go. "House of Blues" they cried, so off we went.
This is a pretty restaurant and definately '"New Orleans-ish" in decor. I always get a strain in my neck looking up at the Jazz Hall of Fame portraits on the ceiling--haven't found Leon Redbone yet :mad:
From the menu our group orderd 4 'Bayou Burgers", one Chicken Sandwich, and one cajun meatloaf (for me). All the sandwhiches were pronounced as "good"--the meatloaf was also quite good, but the portion seemd a tad small. I looked in vain for Dixie Blackened Vodoo on draft--but they no longer carry it. But it is available in bottles, so all was not lost. The ladies all had a glass of wine.
In view of our upcoming dinner at California Grill that nite, we skipped dessert.
Service from our waitress was excellent--very friendly, and she had a New Orleans accent to boot!!
One day I'd like to try this place for dinner, as the menu had some other entrees that looked good. But for lunch in the DD area, it's just fine. I should add that it is also a lot more quiet than Bongo's or Planet Hollywood.

Glad you liked it. Our family of 5 had lunch there last June and we probably wouldn't go back. It wasn't terrible, but we just weren't impressed. I had the meatloaf entree and it was OK. Kids had these giant plate-sized pizzas and my husband had some sort of etouffe. The best thing we had was the shrimp appetizer. The rest was blander than we had hoped. We were glad we had the entertainment book coupon, because lunch was $60 or more with tip even with one free entree and no alcoholic beverages.

Not a huge thing, but when we were there there were also a lot of crying children (not mine thank goodness - I always feel sorry for the parents), child knocking over a chair, server mishaps (spilled tray of drinks near us) and things like that which distracted from our enjoyment. Maybe it was just a bad day.

MEATLOAF!! LOL! I'm married to a Cajun and never heard of that as a "cajun " dish.

I assure you that is NOT on the House of Blue's menu in New Orleans. Maybe the Orlando menu is "toned down" for tourists?

Their combination oyster-shrimp po-boy is HUGE(in N.O.) and I have to reccommend the individual maple cornbread-to die for.:D

What's this Jazz Hall of Fame? DS #2 is a Jazz studies major in college and performs in a Big Band. Does this seem like a place he might like to go? BTW, who's Leon Redbone?

You know how the Brown Derby has drawings on the wall? Well HOB has portraits of famous Jazz singers on the ceiling. Not a formal hall of fame as such, but lots of singers up there I recognize--and a few I don't.
And Leon Redbone--well what can I say?? Suggest you enter a query on the Internet and no doubt something will turn up. Would be better than me trying to explain him.

You know how the Brown Derby has drawings on the wall? Well HOB has portraits of famous Blues/Jazz singers on the ceiling. Not a formal hall of fame as such, but lots of singers up there I recognize--and a few I don't. Probably not worth a special trip for your DS--
And Leon Redbone--well what can I say?? Suggest you enter a query on the Internet and no doubt something will turn up. Would be better than me trying to explain him.

You know how the Brown Derby has drawings on the wall? Well HOB has portraits of famous Blues/Jazz singers on the ceiling. Not a formal hall of fame as such, but lots of singers up there I recognize--and a few I don't. Probably not worth a special trip for your DS--

Uncleromulus,

Thanks for your classy reviews! And I like the "one at a time" format.

I remember Leon Redbone. For some reason I think of him in connection with Hot Tuna (?!). Somehow I don't expect either will ever be enshrined in the Jazz Hall of Fame.

Uncleromulus,

I remember Leon Redbone. For some reason I think of him in connection with Hot Tuna (?!). Somehow I don't expect either will ever be enshrined in the Jazz Hall of Fame.

Uncleromulus,

I remember Leon Redbone. For some reason I think of him in connection with Hot Tuna (?!). Somehow I don't expect either will ever be enshrined in the "Jazz Hall of Fame".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!