Our spur of the moment trip without the kids. Dining reviews. With pictures. Completed 9/4

We were up early the next morning. We had a breakfast reservation at Be Our Guest at 8:40. I was hoping we could get in and out. I wanted to get in line quickly for Peter Pan. The one Fast Pass that eluded me. We walked up to the check in (in the front of Magic Kingdom) at 8:05. I figured they would make us wait. Nope. They let us go back. I checked us in at the restaurant, again thinking they would make us wait. No. They let us right in. We had pre-ordered our breakfast before we arrived. One of the smartest things we have ever done. We grabbed a table in the Rose Room. I agree with the others who have said it's very dark in there, but we didn't have to look at a menu so it was fine. They brought our pastries right away. My husband went and got our drinks and I waited at the table. I had read that someone should stay at the table just in case the food arrives. Well it did. Again, very quickly. I think we received our meals about 5 minutes after we sat down. We both ordered the Open Faced Bacon and Egg Sandwich. It is Poached Eggs, Applewood Bacon, Brie Cheese, and Arugula on a Croissant served with Fresh Fruit. Delicious!! We loved it. It all worked. I love poached eggs. And I could eat Brie Cheese with everything. The fruit was okay. Some of it a bit crunchy. But we weren't expecting much. The pastries were really good as well. My husband liked this breakfast MUCH more than breakfast at Kona (which we had on Thursday and I will review later).
be-our-guest-restaurant-disney-breakfast-food-620x420.jpg

And the added bonus. We were out of Be Our Guest at 8:35. 5 minutes before our actual scheduled reservation. We headed straight to Peter Pan. Of course they stopped us. Right outside of Mickey's Philharmagic. No matter. We were the first in the line. Once opening ceremonies were over they let us go and we were the first people to ride Peter Pan that day. :cool1::cool1:I don't know why it was so exciting for me, but it was one of the highlights of our trip. LOL. I've never been the first to ride anything at Disney. And I absolutely love that ride.

We had a Fast Pass for Seven Dwarfs but my husband wasn't feeling it that morning. So I canceled that one and our Splash Mountain. He wasn't in the mood for big drops. He wanted a relaxed day. I was okay with it. I was just happy to be there. So we headed to our Buzz Fast Pass. We walked up and the Fast Pass line was CRAZY long! :confused3 Checked out the app and saw that it was down. :sad2: Off to Carousel of Progress (sorry but Snoozeville). Buzz was still down when we were done with that ride so we headed towards Big Top Souvenirs for one of our favorite snacks.
big top pineapple.jpg
Chocolate covered pineapple!! Love them. And there are none better than the ones at Disney.
By this time it was 12:30 and time for lunch. We were headed out anyway. We had planned on doing the park early, leaving around lunch, and going back to rest or swim. It was flippin HOT out and it was time for a break. We were going to Capt. Cook's. Can you say Pulled Pork Nachos?! They were calling our name!

Last edited:
Loving your report! Although I HAVE to disagree with you about Carousel of Progress. It's probably my favorite attraction in all of WDW. <3

The chocolate covered pineapple is one of my favorite snacks, too. Thanks for sharing your reviews. Looking forward to more!

Your breakfast looks yummy at BOG and I love the look of your chocolate covered pineapple! Another treat I will have to put on my list for next week! Thanks for sharing! :)

Your trip report is making me hungry. I really want that BOG sandwich. It looks so good. I'm adding the choc covered pineapple to my snack list. Thanks!

Enjoying your review! I, too, love the ahi tuna nachos at Y&Y! Can't wait to have them again in a few weeks. Looking forward to trying the Night Blossom, and your breakfast at Satuli Canteen sounds amazing! So much to look forward to. I've never had the pulled pork nachos at Captain Cook's, but may have to run over there and try them. That chocolate covered pineapple looks amazing!

Oops...before going to Yak & Yeti I had to see what all the fuss was about concerning the Night Blossom at Pongu Pongu. Let me just say that (and I might get thrown out for this one) it beats out a Dole Whip in a frozen drink competition. It is AMAZING! I loved it. It comes with the passion fruit Boba balls. I had seen on here that someone asked for the strawberry ones, too. They put both on ours. My husband wanted to go back several times to get one. Unfortunately we didn't. We ran out of time. Boo for short trips. View attachment 261586
Night Blossom Mixture of Limeade with Apple and Desert Pear flavors topped with Passion Fruit Boba Balls (and the added strawberry balls). The only picture I took myself and that's because I had to send my brother a picture of the drink just to rub it in.:rotfl:
View attachment 261587
OH my gosh! That's going on the list!! Great pic!

Overall, I can't decide if I'm more jealous of all that amazing food OR that you went without your kids

The chocolate covered pineapple is one of my favorite snacks, too. Thanks for sharing your reviews. Looking forward to more!
I think it's my husband's favorite snack. Not that I am complaining. I love it, too. Thanks, this is fun.
Your breakfast looks yummy at BOG and I love the look of your chocolate covered pineapple! Another treat I will have to put on my list for next week! Thanks for sharing! :)
My pleasure. You definitely need to put it on your list. It is delicious.
Your trip report is making me hungry. I really want that BOG sandwich. It looks so good. I'm adding the choc covered pineapple to my snack list. Thanks!
That breakfast sandwich is so good. I was very pleasantly surprised. Especially since BOG breakfast gets bad reviews. I'm guessing it's more because of cost than food. But, I think it was worth it. It was good. And yes, you really should add it to your list. It's delicious.
Enjoying your review! I, too, love the ahi tuna nachos at Y&Y! Can't wait to have them again in a few weeks. Looking forward to trying the Night Blossom, and your breakfast at Satuli Canteen sounds amazing! So much to look forward to. I've never had the pulled pork nachos at Captain Cook's, but may have to run over there and try them. That chocolate covered pineapple looks amazing!
Love love love the Ahi Tuna nachos. I'm looking forward to them on my next trip. Along with Satu'li Canteen breakfast. And if I can somehow fit it in, for lunch, too. I will be posting my review on the pulled pork nachos next. Oh my goodness!! You MUST try them. They are AMAZING! Seriously amazing. We shared and next time we might have to get our own.
OH my gosh! That's going on the list!! Great pic!
Most definitely put it on the list. It's really good.
Overall, I can't decide if I'm more jealous of all that amazing food OR that you went without your kids
I have to say that I'm not sure which one I enjoyed more. :rotfl2:It was a completely different trip, in terms of what we did not where we ate, without the kids. It was much more relaxed and slower paced. The food we had was pretty amazing. I haven't even reviewed my new favorite restaurant. And my favorite meal. That's coming up soon.

And now on to my review of my second favorite, or tied for first favorite, nachos. Capt. Cook's pulled pork nachos. HOLY NACHOS they are amazing!! We had never tried them and I heard really good things, so they were definitely on the list. Now, I don't think they will come off of the list. We will have to get them, at least, once during every visit. It's not huge, but we were able to split it with no problem. Other than we wanted more when we were done.
captain cook nachos.jpg
Pulled pork nachos topped with Onions, Cheese, Spicy Mayo, Tomatoes, and Pineapple Salsa. They have nacho chips and potato chips. Seriously!! Potato chips to scoop up some of the yumminess. I'm pretty sure, when I was done, that I licked the plate. My husband tried, but I won. We could have eaten another one, but we were saving room for what turned out to be my new favorite restaurant at Disney. And the dessert party afterward.

After our AMAZING nacho lunch, we headed back to our room. This was where it was nice not having the kids. My husband watched a movie and I sat on our awesome balcony, read a book, and watched the animals. I could have stayed there all day. But I watched the storm clouds start to roll in and our signature dinner awaited. So it was time to start getting ready. This time, as we left, we made sure we had our ponchos. We were headed to my now favorite restaurant. We were going to Flying Fish. I went back and forth with the reservation. Should I? Shouldn't I? I went with my gut. I kept it. And I am so happy that I did. :jumping1: I knew what I was getting before we even arrived. I was all about the Kurobuta Pork Belly, Maine Lobster Nero Pasta :-)love:) and Blueberries, Limes and /Sea Shells for dessert. I could eat this dinner every night of the week. My husband was all for getting the filet. He had heard that it was the best thing on the menu. He ended up going with the Nero pasta as well. We shared the appetizer. I had never had pork belly and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try it.
pork belly app.jpg

shank croquette, royal gala apple slaw, bing cherry gastrique, shirred quail egg, and of course pork belly. My husband and I split this. Should have ordered one apiece. The quail egg just added a bit of creaminess when the yolk broke. Not sure what the croquette is made out of but WHO CARES?!! It is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. When combined with the pork belly, slaw, and that yummy sauce on the side the flavors explode. I was in heaven and this was just the first course. Woohoo. Up next the pasta.
lobster pasta.jpg
Golden tomato sauce, young artichokes, fennel pollen, lobster, and squid ink pasta. This right here is HEAVEN in a bowl. I was really nervous about trying squid ink pasta. I'm not a huge fan of squid and I didn't want it tasting like nothing but fish. It doesn't. Other than the black color, it's the same as pasta. I couldn't tell that it was made with squid ink. Now, maybe it was because I was too busy enjoying the sauce. I wish I knew how they did it. I've never tasted anything like it. And the lobster was cooked to perfection. Again, I'm pretty sure I embarrassed myself and licked it clean. Unbelievable! Fantastic! Amazing! The adjectives could go on and on. I could eat this every day. I knew we were going to the dessert party later but I had to get dessert. I ordered the blueberries, limes, and sea shells.
flying fish cheesecake.jpg
Mascarpone cream, blueberry lime compote, hibiscus meringue, rye bourbon caramel. Uh....yum!!! I love cheesecake. And that is pretty much was this was. The blueberries were amazing and the meringue was tart. Which was great because the blueberries and the cheesecake were really rich. Balanced them out perfectly.
My husband ordered the Under the Sea
Flying-Fish-Under-the-Sea-Chocolate-Dessert-6-700x478.jpg
Valrhona Manjari chocolate, chocolate coral sponge, pistachio sand, dehydrated milk foam, tasting of three sea salts. Very light. It was delicious. the one bite that I had. He wasn't sharing.
Overall...this is the BEST meal I have ever had at Disney. Flying Fish has taken over as my favorite restaurant. If you couldn't tell from my reviews I absolutely loved this meal. Start to finish. I highly highly highly recommend going. I'm betting I can get my husband to go again. Even if he wants to try the filet.

Now I want those pulled pork nachos....they look amazing!! Your meal at Flying Fish looks absolutely fantastic. Your pictures are so detailed too. Glad to hear you had a wonderful meal!

Geesh...I didn't realize it had been so long since I updated. Time flies. Remember when I said that we remembered our ponchos? Well, we did remember them, but left them in the car. Oops. And, like the day before, it was pouring. Luckily we were able to walk under overhangs as we walked back to the Boardwalk entrance. My nice hubby went to get the car so I wouldn't get wet. :lovestruc We were off to Hollywood Studios and the Star Wars Dessert Party. When we were at Disney last year, they weren't doing the fireworks every night. I didn't realize that so our Hollywood Studio night was not on a Star Wars fireworks night. We were bummed, so I made sure we wouldn't miss it this time.

I had scheduled us a Fast Pass for Toy Story Mania since it's one of our favorites. We had such a good time, that as we were walking off my husband says "I would love to do that again. It was fun". So I whipped out my cell phone and checked my handy MyDisney app and low and behold we were able to get another one and pretty much walk right back on. Score!! I wanted to ride the Great Movie Ride but the line was crazy and no Fast Passes to be found. :sad:I loved that ride. Sorry to see it go. After Toy Story we wandered around a bit and hoped to sneak a peak behind the construction walls. Nope. No such luck. Finally it was time to check in to the party.

There is a table set up along the back wall of the Star Wars Launch Bay. It has cold drinks, water coffee, punch, and I'm not quite sure about the drinks with alcohol. Neither one of us drink. Then the goodies started. They had cookies, cupcakes (vanilla R2-D2, lemon BB-8 and peanut butter Darth Vader), bread pudding, frozen Nutella, pana cota, and a few others as well. They had savory treats as well. Hummus, pita, tomato and provolone sabres, cheese and olive sabers. And other yummies as well. Needless to say, we were still stuffed from dinner so we didn't partake in the desserts as much as we should have.
Dessert party bread pudding.jpg Dessert party cupcakes.jpg dessert party pana cota.jpg dessert party savory.jpg
It was fun. I do wish they had chairs that we could have sat down. They had some tall tables (not nearly enough) and some small tables (Again, not nearly enough) but we had to stand. And good luck trying to find a table to stand at. It was crazy crowded. It probably wasn't worth what we paid, $69/person, but it was something that we wouldn't do with the kids because of the cost and something that was more affordable without them. We had a great spot to watch the fireworks. Those were amazing! We were given a TIE Fighter stein. Well, we couldn't bring them home because our kids thought we were in Chicago. We would have had a heck of a time explaining those. So, I found two families and gave them to them.

Time to go back to our resort and go to bed. It had been a long day. Tomorrow was our relaxation day before heading home on Friday. But first we have breakfast at Kona and dinner at Homecoming.

My favorite breakfast anywhere, not just at Disney but anywhere, was the Samoan at Kona. And it's gone. :sad::sad::sad: I knew that going in. Kona was always our first day breakfast and our last day breakfast. I loved it. So for this trip I booked Kona. I cancelled Kona. I booked it. I cancelled it. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to go since they got rid of my favorite thing. We went. I ordered the new Kona Eggs Benedict which is Poached Eggs with Citrus-Chili Hollandaise Sauce and Char Siu Pork Belly on Toasted Hawaiian Bread. It was okay. From what I read some people love it. Even more than the original Samoan which for those of you that don't know what that was it was poached eggs over pulled pork hash (no bread or English muffin) with Hollandaise sauce and baby arugula. ***sigh*** It was delicious and now it's a distant memory. Anyway, like I said, it was okay. Not as good as the other one that I have mentioned numerous times. And I really did go into the breakfast with an open mind. But, alas, I was a bit disappointed. In fact, I don't even have a picture of it. Our waiter did tell me that I could still order it, but I had to give them a 24 hour notice. o_O I wish I would have known. Oh well..maybe I can still do that next August when we go. Or better yet...the Samoan will be back. So, my husband usually ordered the macadamia nut pancakes. This time he surprised me by ordering the Loco-Moto.
kona loco moco.jpg
Traditional island brunch staple which features a tower of rice, a grilled hamburger patty, house-made chorizo gravy, two eggs-any style, and topped with a tomato salsa $12. The chorizo gravy was really good. I asked for extra to put on my potatoes. I have to say this was really good. He liked the fact that he didn't feel tired and full like he does after he eats the pancakes. I would definitely order this if we go back (and they don't have my favorite back).

After breakfast we headed back to the resort. It was going to be a lounge around the resort day. My husband said he's rather go to Typhoon Lagoon. OKAY!! Because we already had the Hopper pass, it was $36 for us to go to the water park. No brainer. Time to change and go hang out at the best wave pool ever!

We love the Disney water parks. We prefer Typhoon Lagoon over Blizzard Beach. But not by much. For me, it's the wave pool. It's so much fun. We don't do big slides so it works for us. Our son, on the other hand, loves the big slides so he prefers Blizzard Beach. We found a place to put our towels and off to the wave pool. We did that for a bit and then headed to the lazy river. There was a bus load of kids there that day so the lazy river was being overrun by kids. More so than usual. We decided it was time for a snack. Oh Joffrey's how I wish you were someplace close to me. I love their iced caramel coffee and their donuts. YUM!!!
joffrey donut.jpg Joffrey's iced coffee.jpg
Perfect snack. What I wouldn't give to have a coffee right now. I think they are better than Starbucks. And I don't know what it is about the donuts, but they are delicious. And HUGE! I think they could feed a small country.

After our snack my husband went to take a short nap on his chair and I read a book. Our silent time didn't last long. We were up again to go do some slides, try the lazy river again, and of course the wave pool.

All the walking and diving in the wave pool built up our appetites. We didn't want a huge lunch. We were going to Homecoming later so we opted to share the fish and chips.
fish and chips.jpg
We were amazed! It was really really good. I hadn't expected much since we were at a water park, but we were most definitely surprised.

After lunch we walked around a bit more and headed to the wave pool for a couple of last waves before we left. We walked toward the edge and waited for the wave. And waited. And waited. No wave for almost an hour. (Or it seemed that long anyway). We had to go. We had to get ready for dinner. I asked one of the life guards, on our way out, what was going on. Apparently someone tried climbing up a ladder they have on the side of the wall so they had to shut the wave down. It takes some time to get it operational again. Boo!!

I was so excited! We were headed to dinner at Homecoming. The was the first reservation that I made and the only one I didn't change. We got into the car, remembered our ponchos, and drove towards Disney Springs. And the monsoon hit. It started raining harder than the two days before. We couldn't see anything. Knowing how hard it rained the two days prior, we left with time to spare. And apparently we needed it. We finally made it to the parking garage and sat in our car for about 45 minutes hoping the rain would slow down or stop.

Of course, it didn't. We put our ponchos on, looked at the map to see where we were going, and took off into the rain. The rain was coming sideways. My husband's shorts were soaked by the time we made it to the restaurant. People were sitting on the chairs wringing out their socks. They were grabbing paper towels and trying to dry off. The rain was crazy. No matter...I was at my most anticipated dinner.

We ordered the hush puppies for an appetizer.
hush puppies.jpg
House-made hush puppies served with homemade pimento cheese and red jalapeno jelly. Now I don't like pimento cheese but DAMN this was fabulous! I could have eaten a whole tub of that stuff. And the jalapeno jelly. OMG! It was delicious. You get 10 hush puppies. And they are heavy. We were only able to eat a couple of them. We didn't want to spoil our dinner. We both ordered the fried chicken. I ordered macaroni and cheese and my husband ordered mashed potatoes with a side of country gravy.
fried chicken.jpg homecoming mac and cheese.jpg
Now, I am probably going to be kicked off of the forums because....this was our least favorite meal. It was soooooo much. And so heavy. I like a thinner coat of breading so when you take a bite, you kind of get everything. The breading is really thick and was not sticking to the chicken. I wasn't fond of the seasoning that they put in the breading. Too heavy on the thyme. The hot sauce that they make in house is the BOMB! I really liked that and wish I could have bought some to take home with me. I wasn't able to finish my mac and cheese or my chicken. Both of us were incredibly stuffed but we still had dessert to order. Homecoming is famous for their Hummingbird cake. We saw the servers taking plates of those to other tables and knew that there was NO WAY we could eat that. Those pieces are GINORMOUS!! My husband opted for the chocolate pecan pie
chocolate pecan pie.jpg
a 100-year-old traditional Smith Family Farm recipe, served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. I took a couple of bites. It was really good. I ordered the doughnut holes
Homecoming_donuts.jpg
These are freshly made mini sugar doughnuts with a chocolate dipping sauce. I was able to eat 1 of them. My husband ate 1 and we took the rest with us.

I have to say. I was really bummed that we didn't like Homecoming. I really really wanted to. So many people absolutely love it. And say that they made reservations to eat there more than once on their trip. Unfortunately, it was a one and done for us. The food wasn't bad. Just not our thing.

I wish we had more time. But that was it for our dining experiences. We had to head home the next day. :sad::sad:. We had a blast! Our kids still don't know that we were in Disney. They still think that we went to Chicago. That's okay. Maybe some day we will tell them. Not until they no longer have keys to house. God only knows what they would do to us in our sleep. :rolleyes:

I hope you enjoyed my first ever dining review. Thanks for reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!