Our trip to WDW and USA

Love the updates - I have never been to any of these places, and they all sound like they are so much fun!

I also enjoyed hearing more about you... Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Hope everything is going OK - I haven't seen you around the Dis in a few days, it looks like you may be travelling? :moped:

D~

Love the updates - I have never been to any of these places, and they all sound like they are so much fun!

I also enjoyed hearing more about you... Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Hope everything is going OK - I haven't seen you around the Dis in a few days, it looks like you may be travelling? :moped:

D~

It's great to see you still following me D~

I have been in Longyearbyen on Svalbard (Spitsbergen) so that's why you haven't seen me on the DIS for a few days. But now I'm back home for a few days at least ( I'm going to Sweden on Sunday for a few days ) :)

10.March

Today we drove from Savannah, Georgia and back to Florida. We wanted to take a look at Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach, Florida. When we arrived we saw A LOT of people and cars parked a long the side of the road. We thought it was a lot of cars and people even if it was Sunday today.

We found a place to park our car and went to take a look. We then found out that there was a car exhibition (I think you would call it that in English, but I'm not sure) Any way there was a lot of old cars on display inside a fenced area. We finally got to the entrance, but we found out that it costed way too much to go inside and take a look. So we only looked at the cars outside the fenced area and then went back to our car.

8722612389_9e35fab591.jpg

We drove the coastal road to St. Augustine Beach, Florida and got a look at the beach.

Here is a picture taken on our way to St. Augustine Beach

8723733640_648f7aaa05.jpg

We didn't want to stay at the beach. None of us like to take a bath in the ocean or to lie in the sun at the beach. So we just walked a little before returning to our car.

We was very surprised that you are allowed to drive on the beach if you live in the county or if you get a permission. You can't do that anywhere I have been to in Europe. We had to take a picture of a car down by the beach just because we haven't seen that before :rotfl:

8722612449_534530ba5e.jpg

We are now back in Florida a few days before planned. So we decided to spend the night in St.Augustin, but there were no hotel room or motel room that was unoccupied. So we drove to Ormond Beach, Florida. They had a room for us, but it was very expensive even for a motel 8. But we were tired and didn't want to drive anymore. So we took the room even if it was expensive. The man in the reception said it was bike week and that's why many hotels and motels are fully booked and very expensive.

I really have to get out more You & your friend come all the way from Norway and I have to see a FL beach through your pictures Glad you posted them been here permanently since 2008 and haven't been to a beach yet (which is really nuts since I find peace there like no where else I've ever been) You have motivated me, this year will NOT end without a day at the beach :thumbsup2

I really have to get out more You & your friend come all the way from Norway and I have to see a FL beach through your pictures Glad you posted them been here permanently since 2008 and haven't been to a beach yet (which is really nuts since I find peace there like no where else I've ever been) You have motivated me, this year will NOT end without a day at the beach :thumbsup2

That's great that I have motivated you to take a trip to the beach. As I said we didn't spend much time at the beach. But we got a look at it and could feel the wind and smell the salt water :)

I just came across your trip report this morning. I am enjoying reading about your travels :)

Yesterday was Norway's National day. It is celebrated all over the world. Where ever there is a Norwegian there will be a parade and celebration. Everyone that has a national dress puts it on. Everyone else puts on some nice clothes.

There are many parades during the day and people eat a lot of hot dogs, ice cream and cakes.

Here is some pictures of me in my national dress. It's called Tromsø Festdrakt

8749818075_9707dab036_b.jpg

8750942194_03302477b4_b.jpg

8750942316_f7c817461a_b.jpg

8749818369_aa665406e5_b.jpg

If you want to take a look at some pictures from one of the parades go to this link and klikk on the different numbers under the big picture to see more pictures

Yesterday was Norway's National day. It is celebrated all over the world. Where ever there is a Norwegian there will be a parade and celebration. Everyone that has a national dress puts it on. Everyone else puts on some nice clothes.

There are many parades during the day and people eat a lot of hot dogs, ice cream and cakes.

Here is some pictures of me in my national dress. It's called Tromsø Festdrakt

8749818075_9707dab036_b.jpg

8750942194_03302477b4_b.jpg

8750942316_f7c817461a_b.jpg

8749818369_aa665406e5_b.jpg

If you want to take a look at some pictures from one of the parades go to this link and klikk on the different numbers under the big picture to see more pictures

Oh wow Lillian - your dress is just stunning! And you look magnificant wearing it!

So, the seamstress in me wants to know... Does someone important make these for you? Are they handed down from generation to generation? Or do you purchase them. I would love to hear more about the symbolism and the ornate detail work.

Also... Leaving these pictures up for V to see - I bet she will love them!

Thanks for sharing, and glad you had a good trip. :thumbsup2

D~

Oh wow Lillian - your dress is just stunning! And you look magnificant wearing it!

Thank you so much :goodvibes

So, the seamstress in me wants to know... Does someone important make these for you? Are they handed down from generation to generation? Or do you purchase them. I would love to hear more about the symbolism and the ornate detail work.

Also... Leaving these pictures up for V to see - I bet she will love them!

Thanks for sharing, and glad you had a good trip. :thumbsup2

D~

The national dress comes both to girls and boys. Here is a link to see how a National dress for men can look like

It's mostly girls that have Bunad (National dress) Many girls get their Bunad when they have their Christian confirmation (I'm not sure if you call it that) when their 15 years old.

Many mothers and/or grandmothers embroiders the Bunad by hand for their child. You can also buy it as a finished product (it costs more and the embroiders doesn't look as nice as if you get some one in your family to do it in my opinion)

It is also common to hand your Bunad to the next generation since they are expensive and not everyone has the money to buy one. (it's cost around $5000)

Most Bunad's has embroiders of flowers that are common in the area where the Bunad comes from. There are different Bunad's for each part of the country.

Here is another link of different Bunad. (you can click on each picture to see a bigger picture and more pictures)

My mother and grandmother embroidered my dress by hand. And we got a tailor to assemble my dress together when all the embroiders were done. Since the assemble is a little difficult my mother and grandmother didn't want to do it them self.

Here you can read about the history of the Bunad.

Please ask if you have any more questions. I would love to try and answer them for you :)

I popped over from D~'s PTR. I wanted to see your Norwegian dress. It is lovely. I love traditions. Thank you for posting & sharing with us. How very talented your mother & grandmother were to?! Or, how does that work? $5000. That is so expensive. How often do you replace them?

Okay, I have to go back and read your PTR. I don't know if I'll get to it today, but very soon.

Again...thanks for sharing!

Dee

I popped over from D~'s PTR. I wanted to see your Norwegian dress. It is lovely. I love traditions. Thank you for posting & sharing with us. How very pixiedust:talented your mother & grandmother were to?! Or, how does that work? $5000. That is so expensive. How often do you replace them?

Okay, I have to go back and read your PTR. I don't know if I'll get to it today, but very soon.

Again...thanks for sharing!

Dee

Welcome to my trip report pixiedust:

My mother and grandmother shared the job of embroider the dress. they took some pieces of the dress each and embroider that piece

The thing that is so good with these dresses are that you don't need to replace them. They can be handed to the next generation when someone don't want theirs any more or when someone die.

Since you often get your dress when you're only 15. They make the dress with extra fabric so if you get higher or wider you can get the dress made out (I',m not sure if you call it that but the point is that you can get the dress a little longer and/or wider because you have extra fabric in the dress already that you can use to make it bigger.)

My mother and grandmother shared the job of embroider the dress. they took some pieces of the dress each and embroider that piece

The thing that is so good with these dresses are that you don't need to replace them. They can be handed to the next generation when someone don't want theirs any more or when someone die.

Since you often get your dress when you're only 15. They make the dress with extra fabric so if you get higher or wider you can get the dress made out (I',m not sure if you call it that but the point is that you can get the dress a little longer and/or wider because you have extra fabric in the dress already that you can use to make it bigger.)

How totally awesome!! AGain, thank you for sharing!! I need to go back and read your entire PTR now. I'll check back.

I am caught up. Wow! What a journey you had! I had no idea when I started the journey of reading your TR, that is was so much of a beautiful journey. I love reading about the country I have lived in all my life. It is very read about it through someone from another country. I found the gas situation very funny. And D~'s comment about charging for using the bathroom in Europe fascinating.
Thank you for sharing your story. I am truly enjoying it. The pictures are beautiful!
I am looking forward to reading more.

I am caught up. Wow! What a journey you had! I had no idea when I started the journey of reading your TR, that is was so much of a beautiful journey. I love reading about the country I have lived in all my life. It is very read about it through someone from another country. I found the gas situation very funny. And D~'s comment about charging for using the bathroom in Europe fascinating.
Thank you for sharing your story. I am truly enjoying it. The pictures are beautiful!
I am looking forward to reading more.

Thank you for reading it all :)
I'm glad you enjoyed my trip report so far. I really should finish it soon. I only have our last day in Florida and Orlando left.

Thank you for reading it all :)
I'm glad you enjoyed my trip report so far. I really should finish it soon. I only have our last day in Florida and Orlando left.

Trust me, it is my pleasure reading it! I will be sad when it is over.

I had your page open the other day to respond to you rigth away, because I saw that you responded to me... but someone closed my page before I finished writing, and it looks like my entire response was lost...

Thank you so much :goodvibes

The national dress comes both to girls and boys. Here is a link to see how a National dress for men can look like

It's mostly girls that have Bunad (National dress) Many girls get their Bunad when they have their Christian confirmation (I'm not sure if you call it that) when their 15 years old.

That is neat.

Many mothers and/or grandmothers embroiders the Bunad by hand for their child. You can also buy it as a finished product (it costs more and the embroiders doesn't look as nice as if you get some one in your family to do it in my opinion)

I agree - almost anything made by hand is much better. It must take them YEARS to do all of that embroidery! It's just magnificant~!

It is also common to hand your Bunad to the next generation since they are expensive and not everyone has the money to buy one. (it's cost around $5000)

Oh wow - I believe it though with all that hand work.

Most Bunad's has embroiders of flowers that are common in the area where the Bunad comes from. There are different Bunad's for each part of the country.

Here is another link of different Bunad. (you can click on each picture to see a bigger picture and more pictures)

This is really cool!

My mother and grandmother embroidered my dress by hand. And we got a tailor to assemble my dress together when all the embroiders were done. Since the assemble is a little difficult my mother and grandmother didn't want to do it them self.

This is just so special to have something that your mom and Grandmother made just for you. :lovestruc

Here you can read about the history of the Bunad.

Please ask if you have any more questions. I would love to try and answer them for you :)

Very amazing!

That's awesome that there is an extra seam allowance made into it... Very insightful!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this all out - I find it so fascinating!

D~

D~
First my grandmother embroider a bunad (the same one as I have) to her self in 1985. Then a few years later my mother and grandmother (my fathers mother) embroider the same bunad to my mother. Then some years later (I got my bunad in 1994) they embroiders my bunad. And 6 years later they embroiders one for my youngest sister.

My other younger sister didn't want a bunad when she had her Christian confirmation. But now she wants a Nordlands Bunad (a different one from what the they have embroider before. This time it's only my mother embroider it.

My niece had her Christian confirmation last year and she wanted Norlands Bunad. My grandmother embroidered it all by her self. She started to work on it one year before the confirmation.

8793398910_5aa85edafc_o.jpg

It's almost midnight and the sun is shining. I don't want to go to bed when the weather is so nice outside. I guess I can sleep when the winter comes and the sun isn't up for 2 months :)

I just love hearing about how much work goes into the Bunads... It's certainly beautiful - and the embroideries are just amazing.

8793398910_5aa85edafc_o.jpg

It's almost midnight and the sun is shining. I don't want to go to bed when the weather is so nice outside. I guess I can sleep when the winter comes and the sun isn't up for 2 months :)

Wow!! I remember when we were in The Netherlands, it did seem like the sun stayed up so much longer than at home... I didn't give too much thought to it though.

I bet it's super hard to sleep when it's still light out like that.

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!