Out of my element...

Ralphmiller007

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, my husband and I have been to WDW as a couple many times. We enjoy relaxing at the hotels, then fastpassing some of the bigger thrill rides and going to shows. We are definitely not rope drop, all-day park people. This October, we are using our DVC points to take my sister's family along. This is their first trip. My nieces are 10 and 5, and I'm a little out of my element on planning. I somehow wrangled a club level 2-bedroom at AKL, so I was thinking of breakfast at the hotel, then parks...midday break, then evening back at the parks. I'm completely scared of Star wars crowds (plus, they have no interest in Toy Story and even the oldest won't ride coasters), so I'm thinking of 2 MK days, 2 AK, and 1 epcot. Are the waits for characters normally super long? Are there any must-do rides for younger girls? I've booked a tusker house and akershus reservation, but with club level and their food preferences I'm hoping to cancel the Tusker House and just do meet and greets instead. Do you think those park days are reasonable? We arrive on a Sunday and leave saturday, and since HEA only occurs twice those days due to MNSSHP, I'm planning on booking a dessert party basically for the viewing area. Sorry for all the questions, but as a childless couple we are struggling haha.

Akershus is a good idea because the girls can meet the princesses without having to wait long.

Those parks are reasonable to me. HS has always only been a half day park for us. If I had to cut one out of my plans, I would cut out HS too.

Must do rides depends entirely on the kids. If they've never been then they will likely enjoy all of them. If they like coasters you can do those too.

Thank you, I know I'm really overanalyzing it. I'm trying not to let my expectations get too high, I just want them to have a good time without worrying about trying to force everything in. I also dont want to overwhelm their parents haha.

You may not be open to close people, BUT I'd allow your sisters family to have that experience. Because there's no way to find out if you prefer it than to experience it.

Every person is different. Every kid is different...but a 5 yr old and a 10 yr old are old enough to have an idea about what they think Disney is. I'd ask them and craft a suggested itinerary for your sister's family based on that. Fill in the time you will be going back to the resort with park-alternatives for them if they're interested.

Based on my own preferences, you CAN'T drag me out in the middle of the day. I'm willing to go later in the day (pool in the AM) but nope not leaving in the middle of the day.

Maybe try to take your 10yo niece (and the 5 yo) on Barnstormer. It's really short and not intense at all. If she enjoys it it might compel her to try some of the others.

I think taking breaks in the middle of the day is a good idea, especially with kids. Don’t forget about Disney Springs! No coasters, and my kids really enjoyed the T-Rex restaurant and walking around there.

Don't let their disinterest in Toy Story keep you from taking them to Toy Story Land in HS (if you go to that park). Alien flying saucers might be fun for them as well as TS Midway Mania. They are just TS themed, you really don't have to like TS to enjoy the ride and attraction. The SDD coaster is very fun if you can convince them to try it.

You're nieces sound like "ride enthusiasts" similar to my DS4. How awesome that you'll be CL at AKL in a 2 bedroom!! Aunt of the Year for sure! With just a few shows at HS that would interest them, I like your idea to prioritize the other parks. DH and I enjoyed WDW before the little one came along and we LOVE taking him now (though we do look forward to the day he's ready to try some more intense rides). Everyone will have different opinions, but yes, I do think the characters are long waits. And you're not "moving" very quickly, 30 minutes in Winnie the Pooh's line goes by so much faster. I think a few character meals interspersed throughout your trip is a great idea. I wouldn't splurge on every meal, especially because your sweet 10 year old niece is a Disney adult for buffet pricing! But a few character meals mean you eat rather than waiting in line. While I won't waste my 60 day FP+ on a character meet and greet, I will for sure use FP #4 or 5 or 6 if I see a character we want to meet pop up. This is just me. I don't like character lines. Feed me or give me FP. Ask the girls their top 2 (or 3) characters/princesses and make sure they meet them.

There are other ways to meet characters. Fort Wilderness has a campfire sing-a-long that DS keeps asking to go back to. They light big campfires, you can make smores, Chip and Dale come out and play corn hole with the kids, sing some songs and then the party animals stay for an outdoor movie, while we go back to rest up for the thrilling rides, like Dumbo. This might be nice on arrival day or if you have a down day.

Are you planning on attending MNSSHP? If NOT, one of those days would actually make a good MK morning, low crowds. The dessert party sounds great! Must do: get that Frozen ride FP at Epcot. Enchanted Tales with Belle is great at MK. They will probably enjoy driving at Tomorrowland Speedway and shooting Zurg on the Buzz ride. Depending on their personalities, the treehouse, tiki room, country bear jamboree and tom sawyer island would be great. your older niece might enjoy the jokes on the Jungle Cruise.

5 parks days sounds like a lot though! An idea is to to drop the 2nd AK day and just spend the day at AKL. Do those resort activities! Culinary tours! Cookie decorating! Face Painting! Hop over to Disney Springs. Just an idea if you want one less day to buy a ticket for. We also love the Park Hopper Plus for the water park or mini golf. Again, just ideas. I also cannot imagine going with a Touring Plan anymore. So worth the $15 to have a plan...even if we change it up, just hitting refresh and knowing we can avoid the longest lines.

DS4 loved things we were really surprised about. Trying the different sodas in Epcot at Club Cool. He enjoyed Be Our Guest way more than we thought he would. Spaceship Earth in Epcot was a huge hit. We didn't do the Kidcot stops in Epcot last time, but we are planning that for our next trip. The girls may enjoy that.

I didn't mean to hijack your post with our plans. I think you have a great plan! Enjoy your family time!

I took my Niece and two Nephew's on Auntie trips when they were in the 11 to 13 age range and I got them each the Birnbaum's Disney World for Kids book and had them pick out three "must-dos" for each park, it worked out really well with all of them... the last one studied the book front to back and was telling me things I "probably didn't know" as we walked thru the parks. Giving them the book will help you make choices for them and also help them get excited about the trip and know a little bit about what to expect.

Other advice would be to not over plan and leave some time open for whatever y'all feel like at the time.

In case you haven't, ask the parents if the girls like princesses or are interested in character meets. My third grade girl, who loves ballet and tea parties, had NO interest in any characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter