Outlander Season 4 (Spoilers)

I agree it was slow in the beginning. Man that final scene...WOW.
Yeah, I liked the final scene. Well, not what was happening (although I am a reader so knew it would happen) but loved it with the music and silence (you know what I mean). Other forums I read have a lot of people who hated the music though.

Yeah, I liked the final scene. Well, not what was happening (although I am a reader so knew it would happen) but loved it with the music and silence (you know what I mean). Other forums I read have a lot of people who hated the music though.

I thought the music was very appropriate/ironic for their situation.

So glad that Droughtlander is finally over! I liked the episode, didn't love it. The leads don't seem to have their usual chemistry, did they break up? And I hated Jamie's hair. I expected Steven Bonnet to be bigger and more threatening but I know they do their best.

Last edited:
I expected Steven Bonnet to be bigger and more threatening but I know they do their best.

I had the same thought. I pictured Bonnet as a bigger, burlier dude but I think the way Ed Speelers is playing it could come off even more menacing because his intimidation comes not from the fact that he's a large, strong man but that he is just 100% evil garbage.

I enjoyed the first show. The covered a LOT of book "territory". The show hits the high points, the book really fleshed out the details. I'm not critical, I know they are different mediums. There is a lot of material to cover in this book and only 13 episodes.

So glad that Doughtlander is finally over! I liked the episode, didn't love it. The leads don't seem to have their usual chemistry, did they break up? And I hated Jamie's hair. I expected Steven Bonnet to be bigger and more threatening but I know they do their best.

I haven't read the books, so maybe those of you who have, know the answer. Is there any coincidence to the fact that the name Stephen Bonnet is awfully similar to a infamous pirate of the early 18th century, Stede Bonnet? The timing is a little off, but the similarity in name is too coincidental.

The chick on that show drives me nuts. She is some kind of alchemist/herbalist when it comes to concocting a medicine, but she don't know diddly when it comes to being a nurse. She can do reconstructive surgery on that dude's hand (nurses don't do that), but she doesn't know how to wash her hands (notice how even before surgery she made no attempt to even use clean equipment). Yo, Florence Nightengale; if you want to change the world tell people to wash their hands. When she miscarried and had placental abruption that dude stuck his hand up her to remove the placenta. Congrats, you won't bleed out. You will just go septic and die that way. Did they not have soap and water 300 years ago?

I am a nurse, we wash our hands. I saw one episode where she had a dog jump up on a sick patient's bed. I yelled at the TV "Are you out of your mind?"

The chick on that show drives me nuts. She is some kind of alchemist/herbalist when it comes to concocting a medicine, but she don't know diddly when it comes to being a nurse. She can do reconstructive surgery on that dude's hand (nurses don't do that), but she doesn't know how to wash her hands (notice how even before surgery she made no attempt to even use clean equipment). Yo, Florence Nightengale; if you want to change the world tell people to wash their hands. When she miscarried and had placental abruption that dude stuck his hand up her to remove the placenta. Congrats, you won't bleed out. You will just go septic and die that way. Did they not have soap and water 300 years ago?

I am a nurse, we wash our hands. I saw one episode where she had a dog jump up on a sick patient's bed. I yelled at the TV "Are you out of your mind?"

It's actually a HUGE deal in the books. I haven't paid attention to the details about it on the show.

Also, I'm sure the author did a bit of research before picking names and locations for the books. So Bonnet might have come from that.

Claire isn't a nurse, she's a doctor. She went to medical school in the 60s after her stint as a nurse during the war and after coming back from Scotland the first time. At some point in the seasons, she was a doctor and could do surgery.

And, yes, in the books she was all about sterilization before they knew to be that way in the past. Unfortunately whenever they are outside, she has no access to anything and you will often see her throw their alcohol on the wound. I believe, at least one in of the past seasons, she was distilling pure alcohol down to make it portable.

Also on the subject of Claire being a nurse vs doctor: remember that she was a nurse during the war. So even before she became a surgeon I'm sure she learned how to do a lot of things that the normal hospital nurse doesn't during her time on the front. So maybe that's where she learned how to set bones in hands?

I'm not in the medical field at all and I certainly appreciate viewers looking out for authenticity, but we are watching a show that is about time travel after all. Some things just don't make sense in the real world (like semi-psychic French dogs).

It's actually a HUGE deal in the books. I haven't paid attention to the details about it on the show.

I'm assuming that most people aren't thinking about it when watching the show but definitely understand why a nurse would watch with different eyes than the rest of us.
Hygiene was such a prolific subject in the books that I'm going to assume it was addressed in a previous season, and therefore wasn't needed in every and any episode that involves some sort of medical procedure. I'm sure viewers aren't tuning in to see if Claire washes her hands and her instruments each week LOL

I agree the first episode was a bit slow. I actually did like the portrayal of Steve Bonnet--I always wondering in the books what on earth could have induced [x] (no spoilers) to go onto the ship with him, so it now makes sense if he comes across as charming on a first impression but is really a sociopath.

I really liked the next episode preview at the very end. I am glad they are getting to River Run quickly instead of plodding along like the first half of Season 3. The actress who plays Jocasta Cameron (Maria Doyle Kennedy--she was an awesome Catherine of Aragon on the Tudors) looks perfect in the role.

I'm a nurse, and my daughter's in nursing school, and Claire's being a WWII nurse and then 1960's doctor, as well as herbalist, is one of the aspects of the show that we've enjoyed the most! I normally don't like watching medical type shows but I've felt that this series and actress has done a fantastic and relatively realistic job of portraying the qualities that a good nurse and doctor - of her times - has. Just my $.02!

So Sunday night I was all excited to watch the first episode of Season 4 at 8pm. And wouldn't you know, my son was leaving to go back to school and his car wouldn't start, so we had the fiasco of trying to start it, looking things up online, making phone calls and ultimately getting it up on a tow truck WHICH SHOWED UP RIGHT AT 8:05! :headache: So it was a little chaotic here and we had to pause it. I think we missed a bit of what they said at the beginning. Grrr.

We do miss some of the characters from previous seasons. Looking forward to seeing some of them in subsequent episodes! It was maybe a tad slow but the previous from the season overall look quite good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter