Outsiders Perceptions of DVC?

Caskbill said:
Any group of people who do not have what another group has, will tend to think the other group is exclusionary.

Add to that list the people who own vacation homes or condos vs those who buy little chunks of them as timeshares.

We have a number of friends and acquaintances who own vacation homes of some sort. My DH is a physician. Lots of doctors seem to own vacation homes or condos in "impressive" or exotic locations. As in: "We'll be at the condo in Cabo next week." Since we first looked at OKW back in '92, I think we've heard every possible joke and negative comment about DVC. But so what? We bought DVC because it works for us.

DisFlan

tug use to be really down on DVC....
but lots of them have changed their mind and even brought it.

a few still think that it will go down in value. I don't. Disney won't allow anyone to stay on site at WDW by getting BW for $5,000 even if only 10 years are still in the contract...

no one knows what Disney will do at the end of the contract. So therefore in some other timeshares owners DVC is not a good buy.

I have gotten my money out of DVC - next year it will be out of my PCB - and SA also I gotten my originial investment out. the only one that I can never get my money out of Westgate.

Now if I tell you the people who are so down on DVC also own Westgate - do you see the problem....

Disney unlike other timeshares, does not put their best week on the exchange market. that would be silly - they can rent these weeks and kept the profits. So what II gets is generally the offseason. Now occasionally there will be a July 2-bedroom - but don't count on it happening often.

so there have been more timeshare owners who want to trade to DVC - than can do it. that makes hard feeling.

I don't see it that way. If you want to stay at DVC during the holidays - go buy DVC....

emma'smom said:
I think the exclusionary issue does have to do with finances. That's sort of why I asked the question. However, we bought into DVC because we will SAVE money in the long run. I don't care if I own it vs. lease...I'll be too old to care much by the time the lease expires (SSR) and my kid's will have their own ideas of how they want to vacation anyway.
We're also new members (bought in December), so if this question has been asked and answered 1000 times already, please forgive me. :) Does anyone know exactly what happens when the contract expires? I was wondering if Disney might give us some kind of option to continue somehow, or is it just OVER? I'm just wondering....since my husband and I are in our 50's, we won't be around to find out for ourselves. :hourglass

We looked at timeshares prior to our first purchase. Sales staff asked "were do you like to vacation, anywhere in the world?" Our answer was we love WDW. They told us we could trade into disney through ownership in thier resort. We looked at price and the difference, frankly wasn't worth the yearly trade hassles, when we realized we really didn't want to do other vacation destinations. This is our dream vacation and we get to do it every year. show me something that gives you that much satisfaction year after year, then try and tell me its not worth the price difference. :thumbsup2

crisi summed up much of the issues. I've even had DVC members argue with me that DVC is not a timeshare. The one thing I'd add to the list is that DVC themselves feel they are better than other timeshares and in some ways, they are likely correct. And the extra $95 fee just because they can, certainly tics people off.

Caskbill said:
Just a final thought, these two definitions:

The Lottery: A tax on people who aren't very good at math!

DVC: Accommodations for people who ARE good at math!
Why Caskbill, that's downright poetic! Just beautiul, and so true! :thumbsup2

Camping Cat said:
...Does anyone know exactly what happens when the contract expires?
Each resort turns into a giant pumpkin.

emma'smom said:
Who are "timeshare" people?

Honestly, we never gave the whole issue much thought and just jumped right in because we had a great trip to Disney and we like to travel (thus like the idea of trading for other places-even if it isn't the best use of our points).

I think the exclusionary issue does have to do with finances. That's sort of why I asked the question. However, we bought into DVC because we will SAVE money in the long run. I don't care if I own it vs. lease...I'll be too old to care much by the time the lease expires (SSR) and my kid's will have their own ideas of how they want to vacation anyway.

On the issue of "exclusionary", my mother who passed away over 7 months ago got a post card in the mail recently inviting her to come see a Marriott timeshare in Orlando. I forget how much it was for 4 nights but it was pretty cheap (of course you had to attend the timeshare sales presentation). However in the fine print it said you must have a minimum annual income of $70,000! Ironically, she was on a pension & social security, no where near $70,000, probably closer to $15,000. The funny thing is I own 250 DVC points and don't make anywhere near $70,000.

DebbieB said:
On the issue of "exclusionary", my mother who passed away over 7 months ago got a post card in the mail recently inviting her to come see a Marriott timeshare in Orlando. I forget how much it was for 4 nights but it was pretty cheap (of course you had to attend the timeshare sales presentation). However in the fine print it said you must have a minimum annual income of $70,000! Ironically, she was on a pension & social security, no where near $70,000, probably closer to $15,000. The funny thing is I own 250 DVC points and don't make anywhere near $70,000.
Almost all timeshares target a minimum income level. Generally I've seen between $40 & $70K.

:rotfl2:
"Been there done that!"
That's my sister-in-laws answer to DVC!
She and her hubby own at the Marriot off of Celebration Drive...
They have to put in for "their week" by a certain time early in the year...
and my SSR/DVC...whenever DW,DD & I feel like it...we go!

Her jealousy brings a big Disney smile to my face...I love it! :rotfl:
I always remind her of the great perks we have & whenever she
mentions food...well, I can't hold back on telling her about
the unbelievable restaurants we have access to with discounts!

Oh,yeah...I just remembered that she had talked about selling
their time share...would it be correct to stick it in her snobbish
face how wonderful DVC will be for the next 48 YEARS?

Is that wrong? :confused3

NOT!
:banana:

aDVCguy said:
:rotfl2:
"Been there done that!"
That's my sister-in-laws answer to DVC!
She and her hubby own at the Marriot off of Celebration Drive...
They have to put in for "their week" by a certain time early in the year...
and my SSR/DVC...whenever DW,DD & I feel like it...we go!

Her jealousy brings a big Disney smile to my face...I love it! :rotfl:
I always remind her of the great perks we have & whenever she
mentions food...well, I can't hold back on telling her about
the unbelievable restaurants we have access to with discounts!

Oh,yeah...I just remembered that she had talked about selling
their time share...would it be correct to stick it in her snobbish
face how wonderful DVC will be for the next 48 YEARS?

Is that wrong? :confused3

NOT!
:banana:

I wonder if she does sell it, will she share what she paid versus what it sells for!

:confused3
Don't know...don't care!

Bottom line for at least myself...
I love Disney & always have since Walt first appeared
on Sunday's @ 7p.m. years back...i don't care what
anyone says negitively about our beloved Mouse & DVC!
There's nothing on earth like Walt Disney World...period!
::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo pluto: :dumbo: pooh: :eeyore: :smickey:

It's laughable to think of DVC as exclusionary. Are concierge rooms exclusionary? Is a dinner reservation exclusionary? Is a rental car exclusionary? Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice. There are always people looking for fake ways to divide other people. We shouldn't fall for "Let's you and him fight."

rinkwide said:
Each resort turns into a giant pumpkin.

That's what Disney would like you to think.
The truth that each will spontaneously combust and burn to the ground the minute the contract expires. (At least that will make it relatively easy to replace them -- no demolition costs.)

Regarding OP "what do outsiders think of DVC?":
Don't forget that most people just don't know much about DVC and think of it as just another timeshare, just another way for Disney to take your money.

When DW and I stayed at the Polynesian in 92, and I knew no more about WDW than what I had read in the Birnbaum guide, I noticed the DVC displays in the lobby. My reaction was that it was disgusting that Disney was lowering themselves to the point of selling timeshares. At the time the timeshare industry had a well-deserved reputation of being a couple steps below used-car salesmen. So I just ignored DVC for 10 years. When I started following this board in 2001, I decided to take another look at it...

This is a great topic......Is DVC exclusionary. I think we all can say yes to a point. First off not everyone can afford it so those people are a little jealous. The point system works great vs other timeshares that say you own a blue week only, more jealousy. To sum this up....most luxery items are exclusionary......
On a side note.....has anyone looked at the reny/trade board lately. Almost the whole first page is reservations wanted.......
Brownie

Owning at Marriott (in Orlando) and now DVC, I can tell you the impression I had of each.

I came down for a preview at Marriott back in 2001. Fell in love with the place and bought a week. Added a few more as the years went by. I was told I could trade into Disney with II, but that never worked out. Availability at Marriott is excellent pretty much any time of the year I want to go. Closer to the travel date the more availability. Accessible units have never been a problem either and don't require a pre-registration.

But I always wanted to add a few days at Disney just to get the full experience, especially since I started getting AP's. I investigated DVC in 2003 but the price was more than what Marriott offered at the time for the same amenities (2BD/2BA). And the point system confused me. So I passed on it.

Now I feel full up on Marriott so DVC makes more sense as an add-on. I am a bit disappointed in the lack of availability I've found at DVC for my chosen accommodations, but the MS staff has been great.

So overall, DVC is pricier and pickier but it also gives me a bit more flexibility in my length of stay. It makes a nice add-on addition to my Marriott trips. I wouldn't give up either.

For my family, DVC remains confusing and pricey. One brother owns at Liki Tiki (bought a resale and I still don't understand that) and the other just bought at Westgate.

DisFlan said:
Add to that list the people who own vacation homes or condos vs those who buy little chunks of them as timeshares.

We have a number of friends and acquaintances who own vacation homes of some sort. My DH is a physician. Lots of doctors seem to own vacation homes or condos in "impressive" or exotic locations. As in: "We'll be at the condo in Cabo next week." Since we first looked at OKW back in '92, I think we've heard every possible joke and negative comment about DVC. But so what? We bought DVC because it works for us.

DisFlan

If you invest the extra (not spent on a condo) wisely, you probably end up on par with or ahead of those condo "investments" without the bondage.

OneMoreTry said:
If you invest the extra (not spent on a condo) wisely, you probably end up on par with or ahead of those condo "investments" without the bondage.

Actually some of us like the bondage!

-Tony

greenban said:
Actually some of us like the bondage!

-Tony

We just bought a condo in CO and I am not sure whether I love it or regret it. Only time will tell. I have never had that question with our DVC though. DVC is really low-bondage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!