Outsiders Perceptions of DVC?

emma'smom

<font color=magenta>P.S. Who would serve turnips a
I just read a thread on a different forum that referred to DVC as exclusionary. I never really thought of DVC this way. In fact, after reading these boards, it seems like regular resort guests have more ammenities that we do (daily cleaning, free dining, etc). Now I understand the benefits of DVC and am willing to make these trade-offs.

However, I am wondering what other folks who are not DVC members think about DVC and DVC'ers? In other words, when someone says they are part of DVC, what impressions/stereotypes are affiliated with this designation?

Well, it is exclusionary, in that you need to be a member in order to take advantage of member benefits. You can rent points from a member, but that won't get you member perks. But it isn't exclusionary in that they discriminate against people - unless you consider not having $15,000 discrimination. But by that measure, WDW itself is exclusionary, you need to pay for your ticket to get in.

We just purchased at BCV and I did notice in the contract last night that there is no daily room cleaning, unless you pay something extra which was not specified. However, considering the rooms and location versus what we have used for the last nine years (2 at Poly - frankly the room was a mess and we got little help fixing the issues with the bathroom, and 5 at Coronado which we like) we are not going to mind making the bed ourselves especially since we can walk to Epcot and not pay $400+ per night at Poly or the Yacht club next door. We could have just stayed at Coronado and paid the typical $150 per night and not shelled out a significant amount of money.

However, my wife and I have gone every year since my son was born and love it. I see it as a good opportunity to enjoy another part of Disney that I think my family will enjoy for years. And I don't expect to sell so I don't look at it as an investment. I'll pass it on to my son. I never thought of DVC as a special class of people, just people who really like Disney and go there on a regular basis. Actually I don't think most people have any impression of DVCer's different from anyone else. We all stand in the same lines.

I'm not a DVC member (yet). My opinion of DVC members is that they are lucky so and sos, with good taste and more than a bit of the mouse fever. I also think it is a wonderful thing to do for your kids (and anyone wanting to adopt a 40 year old please pm). I mostly think there's someone who really gets the whole Disney thing. Nothing but good (and maybe a bit jealous) thoughts.

dkostel - you have the makings of a great DVC member! :teeth:

It doesn't matter to us how others see DVC. WE love it. If that's "exclusionary", well...tuff tootie.

DisFlan

emma'smom said:
I just read a thread on a different forum that referred to DVC as exclusionary. I never really thought of DVC this way. In fact, after reading these boards, it seems like regular resort guests have more ammenities that we do (daily cleaning, free dining, etc). Now I understand the benefits of DVC and am willing to make these trade-offs.

However, I am wondering what other folks who are not DVC members think about DVC and DVC'ers? In other words, when someone says they are part of DVC, what impressions/stereotypes are affiliated with this designation?
I can tell you there is a segment of the general timesharing population that doesn't think very much of either DVC or the DVC members. There are a number of reasons, some reasonable and some not.

Dean said:
I can tell you there is a segment of the general timesharing population that doesn't think very much of either DVC or the DVC members. There are a number of reasons, some reasonable and some not.

And...??

Dean said:
[In the voice of Ted Knight as Judge Smails in 'Caddyshack']: "Well, we're waiting...."

DrTomorrow said:
[In the voice of Ted Knight as Judge Smails in 'Caddyshack']: "Well, we're waiting...."

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: great movie!

Dean said:

In that I bought into DVC without knowing much about timesharing in general, I am curious what these reasons are?

We've heard some of them before:

DVC is a lease, we don't actually OWN the property. Some people tend to think this makes it a worse deal or less of a timeshare.

DVC is expensive, there are better traders for less money.

DVC is Disney focused (the old "why do you want to go to Disney every year.")

DVCers are timeshare snobs (and a lot of us are - how many of us considered a "timeshare" - we bought "The Disney Vacation Club" - we aren't "timeshare" people.)

Dean said:

Tinky said:

Dean said:

:bored:

I don't see how it could possibly be viewed as "exclusionary" seeing that no one is barred from joining given that they have the funds.

I do know that most people who find out I own DVC view me as crazy though! I get the standard, "why do you want to go to Disney so much, don't you know there are other places to see?" line from most people.

crisi said:
We've heard some of them before:

DVC is a lease, we don't actually OWN the property. Some people tend to think this makes it a worse deal or less of a timeshare.

DVC is expensive, there are better traders for less money.

DVC is Disney focused (the old "why do you want to go to Disney every year.")

DVCers are timeshare snobs (and a lot of us are - how many of us considered a "timeshare" - we bought "The Disney Vacation Club" - we aren't "timeshare" people.)

Who are "timeshare" people?

Honestly, we never gave the whole issue much thought and just jumped right in because we had a great trip to Disney and we like to travel (thus like the idea of trading for other places-even if it isn't the best use of our points).

I think the exclusionary issue does have to do with finances. That's sort of why I asked the question. However, we bought into DVC because we will SAVE money in the long run. I don't care if I own it vs. lease...I'll be too old to care much by the time the lease expires (SSR) and my kid's will have their own ideas of how they want to vacation anyway.

Any group of people who do not have what another group has, will tend to think the other group is exclusionary.

For example:

Home Owners compared to those who rent an apartment.
Someone who drives their own car compared to those who take public transit.
Someone who flies to their vaction rather than drive a car.
Someone who owns a big RV rather than staying in a motel6.
Someone who stays in a holiday inn rather than staying in a motel6

And so on....

Just a final thought, these two definitions:

The Lottery: A tax on people who aren't very good at math!

DVC: Accommodations for people who ARE good at math!

emma'smom said:
Who are "timeshare" people?

In the "DVC Snob" approach "timeshare people" are people who went to a sleazy timeshare presentation and ended up with a timeshare that they could sell for 1/3 of what they bought it for and won't be kept up with promises that they could trade into far cooler timeshares in places like Hawaii or Cancun. All the "bad" timeshare stuff.

The timeshare world has changed, but timeshares continue to have some of their baggage as a scam or really poor investment. Which is why people tend to avoid the word timeshare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!