Outsiders Perceptions of DVC?

Actually, the house we live in now WAS our vacation home. (Long story short - my DH ended up practicing near where the house was - west of Branson near Table Rock Lake.) We opted against owning another second home because of the care-taking factor. Ugh. Using a vacation home is nice, but heck, I have enough trouble taking care of ONE house. And there's taxes, insurance, utilities, lawn care etc. etc. Etc. squared... We prefer low-bondage, too. I'd rather vacation on my vacation.

DisFlan

Those that criticize the DVC sound like they like the taste of sour grapes to me. I've just passed ROFR and should close on my 275 point SSR contract through TTS next month. I looked into this very thoroughly since visiting WDW last August and sitting down for the DVC presentation. I justified it to my DW as follows: We have a DS of 12 and a DD of 3. We'll go to WDW alot over the next 5 to 10 years while she's really into it (she loves all of the Disney princesses!). For 5 to 10 years after that, my DW and I will probably use our points to cruise and spend some time doing things at some of the 500 other places that you can use them. Then when the grandkids come along after that about 20 years from now, we'll be taking them down every year or so and enjoying the magic all over again with them. That will pretty much cover the next 25 years or so for us, 'cause we'll be 70 or so and probably not really into all of the walking. What a great gift to leave to the 2 of them when we pass on - at least 15 years of free lodging that they can split between them. Not a bad deal and enough to make me happy that I'm not one of the ones that "don't know what they don't know".

:thumbsup2
Getting together for Mother's Day...usually about 16 of us
at a nearby restaurant or diner...SIL will be there...along
with my DVC smile!
It just irks her to my way of thinking...I love Disney World
and could care less of what she has. I'm not being mean to
her at all...I'm just very happy with what I have and brush
off any negitive criticism from her!
I'm still buzzing from purchasing SSR back in Oct. 2004!!!

aDVCguy said:
Getting together for Mother's Day...usually about 16 of us
at a nearby restaurant or diner...SIL will be there...along
with my DVC smile!
It just irks her to my way of thinking...I love Disney World
and could care less of what she has. I'm not being mean to
her at all...I'm just very happy with what I have and brush
off any negitive criticism from her!
I'm still buzzing from purchasing SSR back in Oct. 2004!!!
I can't speak to your family dynamics, don't want to. But I can tell you that there are also many advantages of owning a Marriott over DVC, just like DVC has other advantages over Marriott. If the two families were on better terms than it seems you are, you could get the best of both worlds by working together on the timeshare thing. Sounds like she is down on DVC and you are down on other timeshares or at least Marriott.

Dean said:
I can't speak to your family dynamics, don't want to. But I can tell you that there are also many advantages of owning a Marriott over DVC, just like DVC has other advantages over Marriott.

If I weren't a Disney fan we wouldn't own a timeshare at all. My wife couldn't care less and I wouldn't buy another because of the resale. We would either rent a place or rent an owner's week.

But I love having DVC. :mickeyjum

OneMoreTry said:
If I weren't a Disney fan we wouldn't own a timeshare at all. My wife couldn't care less and I wouldn't buy another because of the resale. We would either rent a place or rent an owner's week.

But I love having DVC. :mickeyjum
Your option of course. I assume from your response that you never plan on exchanging. I'll just tell you that timesharing has been very good to me and my family both DVC and otherwise.

My inlaws own some timeshare through Hilton and something about las vegas. They are not very happy with it and have wanted to sell it for awhile, but the only brokers who have contacted them about selling it want an upfront fee. Is there a good broker for these things out there, that lists it and collects their commission once it is sold. i would love to point them in the right direction.
Course, my direction may include them getting DVC instead!

pickles said:
My inlaws own some timeshare through Hilton and something about las vegas. They are not very happy with it and have wanted to sell it for awhile, but the only brokers who have contacted them about selling it want an upfront fee. Is there a good broker for these things out there, that lists it and collects their commission once it is sold. i would love to point them in the right direction.
The upfront fee brokers are not appropriate to deal with for selling. MOST are just scams. They take your money and you never hear from them again. Timeshares are likely anything else that's depreciable, much like cars only worse. Many buy high from the developer and if they want to sell find out the true value is only pennies on the dollar. The secret is to understand the system on the way in and buy low, much like stocks. In almost all cases, that means resale. I'd recommend they learn the system and use it to their advantage rather than worrying about what they've already thrown away.

Yes they understand that brokers charging upfront fees are probably scams.

I think, you misunderstood or I didn't write clearly. They want rid of it because they are tired of paying the yearly fees on something they don't use. They have planned trips on it and have used it. They just don't want it anymore, but haven't found a good way to sell it.
I thought maybe someone here would know a reputable broker they could list it with

pickles said:
Yes they understand that brokers charging upfront fees are probably scams.

I think, you misunderstood or I didn't write clearly. They want rid of it because they are tired of paying the yearly fees on something they don't use. They have planned trips on it and have used it. They just don't want it anymore, but haven't found a good way to sell it.
I thought maybe someone here would know a reputable broker they could list it with
Both should have a market to sell. Assuming they bought retail, it's likely to be pennies on the dollar but just how much or little depends on a lot of variables that would be in violation of the posting rules to produce. Some just can't reconcile selling something for $500 that they paid $15000 for. Without knowing specifics, I'd suspect Hilton of more value than a general Las Vegas week but it depends. Are there two weeks or is this a Las Vegas Hilton ownership? There are brokers, most have a minimum in the $795-1200 range or 10-12% which ever is higher. I'd suggest you or they go to TUG and spend a few months getting educated about what they have and what it's worth then they can decide if they truly want to sell it for the actual value. It's also a good place to find broker recommendations but I'd suggest they sell it on their own.

pickles said:

Why not contact The Timeshare Store? If that timeshare is not something they are equipped to sell thru their business, they may be able to direct you someplace else.

Their fee is only earned when they sell your timeshare - there are no up-front fees.

Good luck!

emma'smom said:
I just read a thread on a different forum that referred to DVC as exclusionary. I never really thought of DVC this way. In fact, after reading these boards, it seems like regular resort guests have more ammenities that we do (daily cleaning, free dining, etc). Now I understand the benefits of DVC and am willing to make these trade-offs.

However, I am wondering what other folks who are not DVC members think about DVC and DVC'ers? In other words, when someone says they are part of DVC, what impressions/stereotypes are affiliated with this designation?

The DW and I bought into DVC this February after returning from cruise. We haven't vacationed with it yet, but already have trips scheduled in Sept. and Jan. 07. I can give you my perceptions, however, since I was an outsider until just three months ago.
I only saw it as exclusionary in that you had to pay a fee(buy your membership). I didn't consider it unusual since I have to pay a fee if I want gas in my car, or groceries to eat. The only place it would be out of the ordinary is in a communist society where the government tells you what you can or can't have.
Everyone we talked to about it loved it. They were either members and thought it was great, or they weren't and were planning to join. I never considered members to be odd, they were just people like us who loved vacationing at disney and were willing to pay a little more up front so they could have an even better experience and save money in the long run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!