Ovation or Quantum

caryrae

Mouseketeer
We had our first cruise recently which was the podcast cruise on the Disney Dream. Of course now we are hooked on cruising. My wife really wants to go on an Alaskan cruise and wants to try Royal Caribbean. It’s will just be my wife and I, is one ship in my title better then the other? I know they are very simila. Have to say the solariums on them look very nice.

Both are Quantum class ships and are almost the same ship in layout and services. There are a few minor differences, mainly quick service restaurants. The Ovation was originally made for the Asian sailings but they did some updates when she came for the initial Alaska sailings in 2019, even so I don’t think you would notice much of a difference.

The Solarium is great for the (potential) cold days you might find sailing Alaska so either would be fine. The other unique item to those ships is the NorthStar. It is nice to get that birds eye view, especially in Alaska. The Two70 at the back of decks 5 and 6 can be a great viewing spot during the day.

I just want to throw it out there as I don't know your budget. You could look in to NCL Haven rooms on the Encore (ship name). They have their own restaurant better than anything on Disney, drinks are included, private area of the ship, private hot tubs on top deck, and they go to Glacier Bay (which Royal does not).

We are on Quantum next week and really the two ships you outlined are the same except Quantum was in Asia for the last like 5 years so it is slightly outfitted differently with dual language signs in like Chinese and a top deck restaurant that looks like a noodle shop but no longer is (as of coming to Alaska this year).

I will say with just the wife and myself the Haven to Alaska was an amazing trip and experience and you can't beat the benefits. It is going to be a little more than Royal though but is worth it to me. We went in September when the prices are a tad lower but the weather was still fine.

One other option. Try Princess (or maybe HAL). You will have a lot of options, but I would suggest the newer ships (Royal, Regal, Sky, Majestic, Enchanted, Discovery). We just got off Crown Princess and even with Princess Plus (the addition that includes wifi, gratuities, and the drink package - all that is $50 per person/per day), it was cheaper than RCCL without any add-ons. IMHO, the included food is MUCH better on Princess, Room Service is included (in fact, you can have Room Service and Drinks delivered to you free of charge anywhere on the ship thanks to the Medallion), there is no charge for stateroom movies (compared to $12 on RCCL), you don't have to check out towels, etc...

Princess (and HAL) also goes to Glacier Bay...

Planning one of these trips is a journey in itself. There a tons of cruise options, including multiple choices out of Alaska. While I figured the question was specific to the ships, the options for Alaska are interesting. Not sure if the original poster needed or wanted much more.

There are multiple cruise lines, different ships in each cruise line, one way cruises (north or southbound) or round trip, and land and sea options. What other things are you looking for out of this thread.

@sethschroeder- Do you mind sharing if liked the Encore or Ovation better? I am starting to research for June 2024 and have narrowed it down to these two ships. We will have a 9 and 7 year old and just booking a normal balcony room.

Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks!

@sethschroeder- Do you mind sharing if liked the Encore or Ovation better? I am starting to research for June 2024 and have narrowed it down to these two ships. We will have a 9 and 7 year old and just booking a normal balcony room.

Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks!

We ended up on the Quantum but the two ships are essentially identical for all relevant purposes regarding Alaska.

To the point:
Balcony room = Quantum/Ovation
Suite = Encore (Haven)

Regular experience on the ships:
The Royal ships are better set up dealing with crowds, spreading people out, and giving you included things to do (you can do roller skating, bumper cars, ifly, rock climbing for no extra cost as an example). Royal also had better around the ship food regarding quality of ingredients, quality of prep/cook, and hours of access (pizza at serrantos late in the evening).

NCL does have the forward observation area that is indoors which is great but really is hindered by the lack of similar included options on the ship as most everything outside of the old school cruise events like quiz shows is going to be an extra cost like the go karts or laser tag or VR.

NCL Specific - Glacier Bay + Haven:
Now one thing you will not get on Royal is Glacier Bay which is an amazing experience but if you are not in the Haven with the front forward top deck I am not sure it would be the same as that area is locked off for Haven guests only. Which brings up another positive of Royal which is the deck wings on the front of the ship to view glaciers from as well as being able to get a spot on a lounge chair/hot tub looking out the front of the ship (again locked off for Haven guests only on NCL).

Suite experience:
Haven blows away anything on Royal. Having cruised in June and September to Alaska I would take the potentially worse weather of September if it means you can go in the Haven vs a Balcony suite. Possibly look at the Forward Facing Suites that are on decks 10 to 13 I believe which are perfect for your family and would let the parents have their own space while the kids sleep out in the main area. I just can not say enough about Haven to Alaska (think about sitting in the hot tub as sleet falls down with no one else around as you pull out of Ketchikan - we did that).

The Haven is a completely locked off area of the ship only for guests of the Haven and its going to have its own pool/hot tubs that kids can go in and its indoors. Its going to have its own lounge/bar for getting drinks, its own restaurant (only outshined by possibly chops/jamies on Royal) and its going to have priority everything including getting on and off at ports.

For kids:
We didn't take our kids in the Haven to Alaska (but did just in January to ABC islands). Your kids are going to like RCL better likely for all the included options including all the Seaplex has to offer. With NCL you are going to be paying for anything they want to do but you could get an unlimited gokart package but the hours are limited when it runs. I would still pick Haven over RCL though with kids simply because of overall its the best experience and the kids won't know what they missed out on.

Pools:
RCL does have a nice setup where there is a family and adult only indoor pool giving you a good ability to take the kids to the pool and not be freezing if its cooler outside. NCL does not have this unless you are in the Haven.

Price:
Be aware that seemingly unlike RCL the NCL prices will come down. Check out www.cruiseplum.com for prices for this summer as an example and you will notice a fairly big decrease in prices likely.

Let me know if you have questions and I will try to answer. Also when you lock something in let me know the ports and I will be happy to give you some feedback on some potential good options for free and for cost excursion options based on what we have done.

Thank you so much! That is so helpful. I am leaning towards NCL, mostly for Glacier Bay. I’m going to keep an eye on the prices. Royal having the SeaPlex and indoor swimming area in really a draw too. Royal has a teeny bit long in each port and has Sitka vs Ketchikan, which doesn’t really pull me either way. We are interested in Skagway and Juneau mostly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter