overheated in a sling?

jother

Earning My Ears
After using my NoJo denim sling to carry our 5month old the last few weeks(Temps 60-80), I've decided it will not work as I'd hoped for Disney. It gets sooo hot for me and the baby, I just think it would not work in 90 degree weather. But, I need something to carry the baby in...he's one of those "holdMe" babies. So, now I'm in search of the best carrier/sling that won't overheat us...actually a carrier would be best since hubby won't wear the sling outside the house. I don't think I'd like a backpack with metal bars....perhaps a front/back carrier or a side carrier. Has anyone used the baby trekker, new native sling or maws side sling????:pinkbounc

I, too, had a "hold me" baby and I found a sling very valuable. However, you are right that they can be too hot, expecially in hot weather. I have heard that slings are available that are made of netting material which would allow for a lot more air flow and presumably would be much cooler than the typical sling. I'm sorry that I can't direct you on where to find this product but maybe someone else can.

I found front/back carriers to be too warm also and not as flexible as a sling.

Good luck.

I used a maya baby wrap with my daughter & they are very comfortable & cool. I never used it in DisneyWorld but my daughter was born in the heat of August & never had a problem. They are made from a light guatemalan cotton fabric. Good for nursing as well if you nurse the baby. They come in a few different styles (some with padding which might be a bit hotter so make sure to read about each kind to see which is the lighter). There is a pouch, wrap, & sling. They're pretty neat & come in a variety of fabrics.

The URL is:

http://www.mayawraps.com

Hope this helps =)

I agree about the Maya Wrap...it doesn't have the padding that other slings have so its a lot lighter. I used one of these last August in WDW. And I think the link above may be incorrect...this should work Maya Wrap

Also I have a mesh sling that I used to use in the shower and used in the pools and at BB....the source of that is Kangaroo Korner

I also used a different kind of cloth carrier called a Didymos.....this was my favorite, but if you don't regularly babywear its expensive. You can get it from Kid's Nature There's also a somewhat similar carrier called the Baby Bundler, but I don't have the url...a search would probably find it.

I've heard of many people who love the Baby Trekker, but it is rather thick and might be too hot for baby. There's also the Baby Bjorn that is usually highly recommended. Snugli's are generally of poor quality and pull on the shoulders with a baby over 10 lbs or so. Backpacks tend to be bulkly

And Yes, I did take three separate baby carriers to WDW....and I'm glad I did because the tail of the Maya Wrap got soaked one day in the rain and I needed a backup!

The New Native is very much like the Maya pouch....I've never tried it but it has a disadvantage of being non-adjustable. I'm surprised you find the Nojo very hot....its the one I generally use around the house. But mine is a rather thin chambray.

One other idea.....find a light fabric that your dh doesn't object to and make your own maya type sling....email for instructions if you're interested.

Hi There,
I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider a baby carrier with a metal frame. I used a Gerry backpack carrier with both of our daughters when they were pre-walkers on our jaunts to WDW and it was invaluable! Not only do they carry the little one, but they also offer a lot of storage for all those essentials you find to bring, or acquire. The Gerry was very comfortable, had a waist belt and a lumbar support which distributed the weight very well. I loved using it! I agree that the sling would be much too hot, but I would encourage you to look into backpack carriers, too. Be careful, some have been recalled (like the LL Bean model - which is not sold anymore but can still be found about).

:cool:

I had a NOJO cotton sling which was lightweight and fine for Houston weather. My DS was also a very high need child and did best while carried. His favorite position was the Kangaroo style with his face facing out and his feet indian style. That still gave him a breeze plus he could see what was going on around him. But, of course you have to dress them lightly because of the extra fabric of the sling. We should bronze the sling. We used it until he was almost 2 and now he's a normal well-adjusted 3 1/2 year old child who still hates to sleep. Go figure! Good luck!

We are bringing our Baby Bjorn frontpack carrier along with our stroller for DS 9 mos. He gets tired of his stroller pretty quickly and loves to be in the carrier where he can see everything. It's a cotton material that's breatheable and I find it to be very comfortable for mom and dad because of the wide straps that cross at the back. It adjusts really easy and is easy to get on and off.(once you get the hang of it) We think that it will be really helpful for standing in lines and we can keep him in it when we go on rides. Have fun! Leslie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter