Overnight school trips - Chaperones

I have chaperoned overnight trips for junior high and high school. For junior high? I would NEVER do again.

Not sure what kind of problems you had, OP, but we just didn't find it that bad for high school kids. The teacher or director divided the kids up into groups and had one main chaperone over each group. Most had other adults because other parents did go on the trip, they just weren't wrote down as actual chaperones.
The tour company always provided a guard outside the hotel at night. So once they went to their rooms, we were done.

As for rules, if we had any, I don't remember them. Basically he wanted us to keep up with them and bring them back in one piece. All of the kids in all the groups knew who the main chaperones were and had all of their phone numbers. That way if someone got separated, they had plenty of people to contact.

Some trips, the kids had rooms to themselves and the chaperones were in another room. Some trips, there would be 2-3 kids in a room and 1-2 chaperones (like a married couple). And the only "rule" I remember is if there were any unmarried chaperone couples, they could not room together.

Thx all, it seems like most places don't have written out guidelines. That's interesting. The ones that I have found online are all quite old and clearly predate cell phones. I guess we'll just have to craft our own.

Some things that seem so logical to one person just might not to someone else.

For the groups that only allow teachers to chaperone - how in the world does that work? There was almost 175 kids on this trip - no way the 5 staff members could have adequately chaperoned that many kids.

Overall it was an amazing time, just more unorganized than it needed to be, and there were clearly a couple of chaperones that just didn't have a clue what they were expected to do (or they didn't care). Clearly those parents won't be asked to chaperone the next trip, but we're still trying to write up guidelines to avoid issues in the future.

Thanks everyone. I'm not particularly looking to rehash what the poor behavior was. It's in the past. What I'm wondering is what other schools do to properly set expectations ahead of time. My real question was "Does anyone's school actually provide informational sheets/guidelines specifically aimed at the chaperones? "

Kitty mentioned that they had multiple meetings with the chaperones beforehand which I think would be helpful, and could hopefully alleviate some of what Hikergirl mentioned about how some chaperone's take their job more seriously than others.

I'm trying to put together a written informational sheet for future trips, as we start to plan the next trip because I'm the type of person that thinks more information/awareness is better.

Oh and another thing we did each evening on the trip was have a quick chaperone meeting so we or the chaperones could discuss any situations about that day. We would map out the next day activities and expectations again. That was huge, too. Hope this helps. :)

My son’s school does overnight field trips for each grade (4th-12th) each year and they have it down to a science. The thing I like is that once we are back at the hotel, the kids are in their rooms and the chaperones are done for the night (usually 7 pm). After that the teachers are the only ones dealing with late night illnesses and issues. They actually encourage the parents to go off and have a late night coffee together to decompress from the day. They also have A security guard stationed in the hall (any time they do a public hotels/ they don’t do this for the cabin rental trips).

The school and teachers run the field trips. Parent chaperones lead small groups, but follow a set itenerary and the main expectation is not to lose anyone. If any kid is becoming problematic (or is just having a little trouble since this starts with 10 year olds) they are put with a teacher instead of a chaperone.

The expectations and pitfalls change as the kids age, but for the school this shouldn’t be their first rodeo unless a trip is brand new. The work the teachers put into preparing the kids for a trip should mean that chaperones are an extra set of hands but should not be handling any planning or disciplinary issues.

Thx all, it seems like most places don't have written out guidelines. That's interesting. The ones that I have found online are all quite old and clearly predate cell phones. I guess we'll just have to craft our own.

For the groups that only allow teachers to chaperone - how in the world does that work? There was almost 175 kids on this trip - no way the 5 staff members could have adequately chaperoned that many kids.

Overall it was an amazing time, just more unorganized than it needed to be, and there were clearly a couple of chaperones that just didn't have a clue what they were expected to do (or they didn't care). Clearly those parents won't be asked to chaperone the next trip, but we're still trying to write up guidelines to avoid issues in the future.
More teachers.

My daughter is going on an International trip in the Spring. As of now there are 25 students going and 3 or 4 teachers.

I recently went on a 5 night school trip that unfortunately had problems with both student and chaperone behavior. Ignoring the student issues for the moment, I'm trying to think how the school can avoid chaperone issues in the future. My first thought was that they didn't set up very clear expectations about chaperoning beforehand.

Does anyone's school actually provide informational sheets/guidelines specifically aimed at the chaperones? We had a quick 10 minute meeting after the mandatory parent/student meeting where we could ask a few questions but that was it. I think if people went in with more appropriate expectations it would help. The staff has asked me to provide an idea of things that would have been helpful from the chaperone standpoint and I'm just looking for any feedback or ideas that other schools might provide. Thx

I do want to say - we had 16 chaperones and 12 were amazing but not always on the same page, but they worked their tales off and I just don't want to seem like I'm disparaging them - even though they'd never read this. :)
When I’ve done overnights, the lead teacher(s) had a list and designated each chaperone, or pair of chaperones a group of students, or in some cases an activity that you were responsible to attend and oversee. If those 5 kids wanted to walk to get lunch, you had to go with all 5 and return with all five. Chaperones and students were well aware of the rules for student behavior ahead of the trip- no splitting up, no students going without the chaperone etc.

Parents occasionally chaperone at the elementary level for day-trips. Overnight trips always have licensed teachers. If you mess up, word spreads, and you’ll never be asked again.

If there are 175 kids out, not sure what grade or how big your school is, but that is a big number. We pull other teachers to chaperone, but honestly have never had that large a group.

If there are 175 kids out, not sure what grade or how big your school is, but that is a big number. We pull other teachers to chaperone, but honestly have never had that large a group.
We are a pretty big school and that was only part of the marching band - so it required a lot of parent chaperones.

Oh and another thing we did each evening on the trip was have a quick chaperone meeting so we or the chaperones could discuss any situations about that day. We would map out the next day activities and expectations again. That was huge, too. Hope this helps. :)

I've been adding things to my list today - many that seem super logical - like "if the kids are required to be at dinner at 5, then so are the chaperones" lol. But most of the them are about communication - so your idea of having a quick meeting is vital - with groups this big I think it would be a huge help to keep everyone on the same page.

Also - group texts - good lord they are evil. You would think they would be helpful, but they really really aren't. Face to face is much better.

Lol :) My kids' school had issues with chaperones sneaking down to the hotel bar and getting plastered, sleeping around, fighting, etc. so now they hire guards and post them on the floors that the students and chaperones are rooming on. It was made VERY clear at orientation that both students and chaperones were subject to the curfew and NO ONE was allowed out of the rooms after 9:00 pm.

Lol :) My kids' school had issues with chaperones sneaking down to the hotel bar and getting plastered, sleeping around, fighting, etc. so now they hire guards and post them on the floors that the students and chaperones are rooming on. It was made VERY clear at orientation that both students and chaperones were subject to the curfew and NO ONE was allowed out of the rooms after 9:00 pm.
Man that is bad, makes our chaperone issues seem small.

I don't chaperone because I'm a very restless sleeper with a medical condition that often keeps me up nights, but I'm very familiar with the rules for overnight chaperones with my kid's activity (a national-level travel sports team).

The rules are absolutely written out; it is a binding contract. Chaperoning is a sought-after duty because it comes all expenses paid, and there are always more applicants than spots. The chaperones must all pass background checks and be Safe Sport certified, and for athletes under age 16 they sleep in the rooms. Four persons to a double-bedded room: chaperone, chaperone's child, plus two other athletes; all same-gender. Athletes 16 and over share 4 to a room without a chaperone; the assistant coaches are responsible for keeping track of them, but by that age they will have earned a bit more trust. Chaperones may not smoke/vape (anything!) or drink alcohol while on duty, nor may they take sleep aids, and they are normally on-duty from arrival at the bus or at airport check-in until the last athlete has been released back to a parent (or in the case of the older ones who drive, signed themselves out at the home bus arrival point.) Students may be periodically released from supervision to move around in pairs, but only in the places and at the times designated by the team as free time for all of them -- chaperones do not independently get to decide where and when to grant this privilege, though they may independently decide to withhold it if a minor in their care is not following the rules reliably. If a chaperone needs to be away from their charges for more than about 5 minutes (basically the length of a bathroom break), then a temporary alternate chaperone must be designated for that time, with the phone forwarded if the kids are on free-time release. There isn't much of a need for a dress code among chaperones (the athletes dress identically at all times when out of their rooms), but the organization rules say that the only clothing you can wear with writing on it must be team-related and approved, and may not have any profanity on it. (They are also hard-line about sportsmanlike conduct, so no behavior/signage disrespecting another team is tolerated.)

We do find group texts to be helpful (we use the GroupMe app), but the size of the groups is limited to about 20 people each, and there is a designated "official last-word" person designated for each one; any messages that person sends out are to be taken as gospel. Chaperone meetings are always held during meals, when the kids are eating in the same dining room, but at different tables.

PS: I have to say that these kids are MUCH more serious and well-behaved than I was at that age back in the so-permissive 1970's. I can remember people bringing "loaded" oranges on bus trips when I was in HS; these kids would be way too worried about getting into trouble to try that one.

PPS: Though chaperones for our younger athletes sleep in with them, the SafeSport rule of never being alone in a private space with any child not your own is closely followed. FWIW, coaches do not serve as overnight chaperones; but they are completely in charge at practice & competition venues, where the chaperones get a break and can go sit in the stands. This cuts down on staffing costs, because they are paid for hours worked, while parent volunteers are not.

Last edited:
I don't chaperone because I'm a very restless sleeper with a medical condition that often keeps me up nights, but I'm very familiar with the rules for overnight chaperones with my kid's activity (a national-level travel sports team).

The rules are absolutely written out; it is a binding contract. Chaperoning is a sought-after duty because it comes all expenses paid, and there are always more applicants than spots. The chaperones must all pass background checks and be Safe Sport certified, and for athletes under age 16 they sleep in the rooms. Four persons to a double-bedded room: chaperone, chaperone's child, plus two other athletes; all same-gender. Athletes 16 and over share 4 to a room without a chaperone; the assistant coaches are responsible for keeping track of them, but by that age they will have earned a bit more trust. Chaperones may not smoke/vape (anything!) or drink alcohol while on duty, nor may they take sleep aids, and they are normally on-duty from arrival at the bus or at airport check-in until the last athlete has been released back to a parent (or in the case of the older ones who drive, signed themselves out at the home bus arrival point.) Students may be periodically released from supervision to move around in pairs, but only in the places and at the times designated by the team as free time for all of them -- chaperones do not independently get to decide where and when to grant this privilege, though they may independently decide to withhold it if a minor in their care is not following the rules reliably. If a chaperone needs to be away from their charges for more than about 5 minutes (basically the length of a bathroom break), then a temporary alternate chaperone must be designated for that time, with the phone forwarded if the kids are on free-time release. There isn't much of a need for a dress code among chaperones (the athletes dress identically at all times when out of their rooms), but the organization rules say that the only clothing you can wear with writing on it must be team-related and approved, and may not have any profanity on it. (They are also hard-line about sportsmanlike conduct, so no behavior/signage disrespecting another team is tolerated.)

We do find group texts to be helpful (we use the GroupMe app), but the size of the groups is limited to about 20 people each, and there is a designated "official last-word" person designated for each one; any messages that person sends out are to be taken as gospel. Chaperone meetings are always held during meals, when the kids are eating in the same dining room, but at different tables.

PS: I have to say that these kids are MUCH more serious and well-behaved than I was at that age back in the so-permissive 1970's. I can remember people bringing "loaded" oranges on bus trips when I was in HS; these kids would be way too worried about getting into trouble to try that one.

Thanks, lots of specifics here.

I have not heard of the GroupMe app. I'll look into it. One of our problems with group texts is that sometimes they would be delayed. A staff person sitting next to me sent a text to the group and it was delivered 3 hours later. The first night I was woken up 4 different times with text alerts that it turns out were just delayed texts coming in. One of the kids in my husband's group responded immediately every time husband texted him, and yet husband never got the responses until hours later.

Our HS has 2000 students so there are plenty of teachers who sign up to chaperone the trips.

Our school never used parent chaperones on overnight trips. The chaperones were teachers and other staff members (guidance counselor, dean, etc.), and on occasion, if extra adults were needed, some teachers’ spouses would go.

Kids had strict curfew; chaperones did bed checks. Boys and girls stayed on separate floors of the hotel. Male teachers chaperoned the boys, female teachers chaperoned the girls. Adults had their own rooms, never slept in same room with students (surprised that would be allowed). Students and parents had to attend a mandatory meeting ahead of time going over all rules and conseqences.

I’ve gone on several school trips, overnights included, and we’ve gotten nothing more than “use common sense” and sometimes a list of students we’re in charge of. We were fortunate with both of the overnight trips I took, we had security on our floor. They literally sat in a chair all night in front of the elevators making sure none of our students left the floor.

I’m surprised schools mix kids and chaperones in the same room. I would not be comfortable sharing a room with students.

Our trips hired a security person to patrol the hallway to be sure kids stayed in their rooms after lights out and that was good enough for me.

We provide guidelines. Also, all chaperones undergo a background check. Most any foolishness such as drinking or smoking in front of the kids among other things will get you sent home at your expense. All school rules still apply. We always tape the doors. And we tape with a different color each day at random. The tape is easily broken but can't be put back together again. So we know if they've left their rooms.

We provide guidelines. Also, all chaperones undergo a background check. Most any foolishness such as drinking or smoking in front of the kids among other things will get you sent home at your expense. All school rules still apply. We always tape the doors. And we tape with a different color each day at random. The tape is easily broken but can't be put back together again. So we know if they've left their rooms.

You tape the adult’s rooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter