Oversold parties . Thoughts on trying again

I was planning for my family to go to our first MNSSHP this year, but after watching YouTube videos, I decided not to. The walkways were so congested. I can’t stand the feeling of being trapped in a big crowd and it seemed like there were just people everywhere and the character meet lines were clogging up the walkways. I was stressed watching the videos. Maybe if I didn’t have to push a stroller I would feel differently, but for now it’s a hard no for us.

Maybe watch some recent videos and get a feel for it.

We went to the Halloween party in August, 2017. It was crowded! Never saw the characters, lines were two hours long.

Yes,
Went again August, 2018 (thinking 2017 was a "fluke") and never again! Spent $300 for a bag of candy (trick or treat), watched a parade and fireworks. Tried to watch Hocus Pocus show in front of castle and even with being there waiting about a n hour never seen anything. Way to crowded. You cou ld not walk without people walking into you. We never tried the characters, people were lined up at 4:30 for the seven dwarfs. Just my opinion, but in two years $600 for really nothing.

I'm not interested in doing DAH, because it's only a matter of time -- day, a month - a year that Disney will use their line "subject to change at any time" and then rides will close, free snacks will be eliminated, etc.

We are going to the Christmas party on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and I already know it will be sold out, being the only party that week.

But it’s our last night at our favorite park at what might be our last trip for a while. So we want to soak up those last few MK hours.

Thankfully, my kids aren’t into characters or parades, so we can avoid those (and ride some low wait time rides when everyone else is at the parades!)

I have always wanted to see the Christmas parade at Disney and I know that in order for me to do so I will have to attend a party. I will do that one day and the parade will be the main draw for myself. Hate to pay those prices but will do at least once for the parade.

They run the parade the week of Christmas during normal park hours. That might be a better choice.

They run the parade the week of Christmas during normal park hours. That might be a better choice.
True, but I don't see me (will never say never) going during that time frame. But then I have done some things here lately, landed some pixie dust and such that I never thought would happen.

We thought 2017 would be our last party, but decided to give it one more shot this year. Our eldest DD is 3.5 and really wants to go, because we're from Australia we don't have a "proper" Halloween so she's keen as to do it.

My sister is an Aussie transplant (now a citizen) and she brought her Halloween obsession to her entire circle of friends/family there! :P It does seem like it is catching on a bit more the past few years! They are coming"home" for Halloween/ Thanksgiving and we are so excited to go all out. My nephew is 4 years old, so he will get to see how the other half do it 😂 He'll either love it, or be scarred for life (kind of like my kids trying Vegemite! They will never trust me again:rotfl2:)

As far as the party, this will be our first MNSSHP and I'm trying to be cheerfully optimistic. We're attending the Sunday Sept 22 party. The opening of SWGE and DHS FP tiering changes being implemented, as well as major EP overhaul was really stressing me out, but I've decided we will make the best of whatever comes our way. Where there is a will to have fun, there is a way. I think I was tying my ability to have a good time into my perceived value for the money... doing the most in the shortest amount of time, getting the best FP, etc, etc. etc. Once I talked myself off that ledge and decided that it was worth the cost regardless of the amount of rides we ride, a (teeny) tiny bit of peace came to me. I'm still obsessively planning, reading the boards and freaking out about making FP (tomorrow morning!! Is 5:30am too early to take a Xanax?) but there is so much more to Walt Disney Worls than rides and lines, and at the end of the day, all I want is to see my family, happy, smiling and loving life at the Happiest Place on Earth!

I think a lot of it has to do with your expectations. Like everyone else (apparently) I went to MVMCP on a Tuesday in November (the 11th) last year and we thought it was lovely, although I suppose we focused mainly on the party only stuff. We met a ton of characters, did all the treat stations, went on a few rides and went to all the shows including the fireworks and the parade. We really only did a few rides during the actual party but mainly just because there was so much party stuff that there just wasn't time to fit it all it. We're looking at doing a MNSSHP next year (we're doing Christmas at Disneyland this year).

We did not go to the party last August, but noticed how the low-crowd day became congested with party goers around 3-4pm. The manageable lines became ridiculously long. That can happen on any afternoon, of course. The park closed at 6pm that day and by the time we left it was jam packed. I was glad to get out of there. We went back to the resort pool.

I had my most stressful experience ever at a MVMCP. It took us 40 minutes to get across the hub where people were waiting for the parade; we didn't want a spot we just wanted to get across from Tomorrowland to Liberty Square. People were standing blocking the walkway and refusing to move even though I pointed out it is clearly marked with white lines as for walking people only, because they did not want to lose their spot (which wasn't a spot, for said reason), and I could not get my stroller through. When I finally got to they had blocked the bridge off for the parade even though the parade hadn't started yet.

Outside of that horrible experience, everything was really fun. We enjoyed the decorations and cookies, rodes lots of rides (10-15 mins is what I wait for a fastpass; and 35 minutes for 7DMT was a steal in my book) so I thought the wait times were perfectly fair, especially since you can get 3 fastpasses before the party starts.

I just learned to STAY AWAY FROM THE HUB OF DOOM. Never again. Gonna take the way round back through fantasyland next time.

Is it better for the weeknight parties over the weekend ones? In the past we avoided Friday nights and found because kids are in school during the week, that the weeknight crowds thin earlier.

Is it better for the weeknight parties over the weekend ones? In the past we avoided Friday nights and found because kids are in school during the week, that the weeknight crowds thin earlier.
Like the parks, the parties are always busier on the weekends, until you get closer to Halloween and Christmas when they are all just full.

My sister is an Aussie transplant (now a citizen) and she brought her Halloween obsession to her entire circle of friends/family there! :P It does seem like it is catching on a bit more the past few years! They are coming"home" for Halloween/ Thanksgiving and we are so excited to go all out. My nephew is 4 years old, so he will get to see how the other half do it 😂 He'll either love it, or be scarred for life (kind of like my kids trying Vegemite! They will never trust me again:rotfl2:)

As far as the party, this will be our first MNSSHP and I'm trying to be cheerfully optimistic. We're attending the Sunday Sept 22 party. The opening of SWGE and DHS FP tiering changes being implemented, as well as major EP overhaul was really stressing me out, but I've decided we will make the best of whatever comes our way. Where there is a will to have fun, there is a way. I think I was tying my ability to have a good time into my perceived value for the money... doing the most in the shortest amount of time, getting the best FP, etc, etc. etc. Once I talked myself off that ledge and decided that it was worth the cost regardless of the amount of rides we ride, a (teeny) tiny bit of peace came to me. I'm still obsessively planning, reading the boards and freaking out about making FP (tomorrow morning!! Is 5:30am too early to take a Xanax?) but there is so much more to Walt Disney Worls than rides and lines, and at the end of the day, all I want is to see my family, happy, smiling and loving life at the Happiest Place on Earth!
We will be there on the 22nd also! Seriously, if you want to see a particular character, check out the MNSSHP thread, or subscribe to Kenny the pirate. They tell you when the characters arrive. We had so much fun, enjoyed meeting characters, the only long waits were for Jack/Sally and Moana. We were super excited to meet Queen of Hearts, Tweedle Dee and Dum, Alice and the Mad Hatter as all of our costumes were from Alice in Wonderland. As I said we went on quite a few rides, caught the parade and fireworks and closed the night with the Hocus Pocus show. We had 5 and 7 year olds with us and they had no problem staying up and alert for all the activities. We had planned a late day for the next day, so we slept in. Don't stress. You will have a blast. Just go for 3 fast passes (starting at 3:20 - 4:20) and decide which (if any) characters are worth waiting for Jack/Sally also come out early!

It has been a number of years since we have done the party-we are going Sun Sept 8th -maybe with SWGE and F&W- crowds might not be too bad.... Having a friend come meet us and we have added on the Cruella experience as well ( primary for parade viewing and to enhance the experience )- however, I am waiting for the initial reviews on Cruella to see if by chance we will want to cancel it.

I'm going to my first-ever "party" and from reading these boards, sound like it will be a mob scene. I'm doing the 11/8 MVMCP (Friday night, first party of the season). It's my only option and the rest of the large group I'm with really wanted to do it. Uuugggghhhh.
See you there. I'll be the guy in the Mickey Christmas hat; should be easy to spot...hahahahaha

It has been a number of years since we have done the party-we are going Sun Sept 8th -maybe with SWGE and F&W- crowds might not be too bad.... Having a friend come meet us and we have added on the Cruella experience as well ( primary for parade viewing and to enhance the experience )- however, I am waiting for the initial reviews on Cruella to see if by chance we will want to cancel it.
I have done a dessert party during the Christmas party, and while it was nice, I felt I lost a lot of park time due to wanting to get my money's worth. We had little ones, so I thought they'd be tired, but they would have rather had more park time. If it's what works best for you, but I just wanted to throw that out there because I regretted my decision later. There are many good spots from which to view the parade and fireworks. The second parade is not as crowded as the first. Copied from the blog (so much to do!):
  • “Mickey’s Boo-to-You Halloween Parade,” which happens twice nightly and features favorite Disney characters dressed in their Halloween best, along with the Disney villains and a cavalcade of fiendishly fun floats.
  • Storybook Circus Disney Junior Jam in Fantasyland is the spot for all of the young partygoers to get their groove on with favorite Disney Junior characters like Doc McStuffins and Vampirina.
  • In Frontierland, prospector Cactus-Flower Cafe rounds up youngsters for the “Frontierland Costume Promenade,” encouraging them to show off their costumes in a quest for the greatest treasure in the land – candy! The “Frontierland Costume Promenade” takes place just prior to each run of Mickey’s “Boo-to-You” Halloween Parade.
These are some of the extra fun things to do if you have little ones!

I have done a dessert party during the Christmas party, and while it was nice, I felt I lost a lot of park time due to wanting to get my money's worth. We had little ones, so I thought they'd be tired, but they would have rather had more park time. If it's what works best for you, but I just wanted to throw that out there because I regretted my decision later. There are many good spots from which to view the parade and fireworks. The second parade is not as crowded as the first. Copied from the blog (so much to do!):
  • “Mickey’s Boo-to-You Halloween Parade,” which happens twice nightly and features favorite Disney characters dressed in their Halloween best, along with the Disney villains and a cavalcade of fiendishly fun floats.
  • Storybook Circus Disney Junior Jam in Fantasyland is the spot for all of the young partygoers to get their groove on with favorite Disney Junior characters like Doc McStuffins and Vampirina.
  • In Frontierland, prospector Cactus-Flower Cafe rounds up youngsters for the “Frontierland Costume Promenade,” encouraging them to show off their costumes in a quest for the greatest treasure in the land – candy! The “Frontierland Costume Promenade” takes place just prior to each run of Mickey’s “Boo-to-You” Halloween Parade.
These are some of the extra fun things to do if you have little ones!
[/QUOTE

The Cruella "party" seems to be a little different as you can pop in and pop out- as well stating additional Halloween decorations etc., it also states to be open 1/2 hour the party ends. It just myself ,my DD 24 and her best friend and the party is their favorite part. I figured we would have to claim a decent spot for the parade which would take time out of the night as well so,the preferred seating is a big plus for us. We have plenty of days in the parks ( there for 10 ) so our intent at the party is to do the special things that are not available on regular nights. Its hard for me to justify the additional cost for Cruella on top of the party cost but we also got in on the initial pricing error and are going on one of the cheapest party nights so, makes it a little easier to swallow. Cant wait to see reviews on it come the middle of Aug.

We go to to a Christmas party during our November trip the past few years. Most of the rides have very short waits. The only ones you wait more for are 7 Dwarfs and Peter Pan - but the lines aren't as long as they are during the daytime. I still enjoy the parties.

I should add - I don't give a **** about parades, meeting characters, etc. So, my comments are strictly about the rides (which is why I'm there). I've also never waited in long lines for snacks. We are normally at the party right around your Veteran's Day (in Canada it is Remembrance Day).

We are going to the Christmas party on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and I already know it will be sold out, being the only party that week.

But it’s our last night at our favorite park at what might be our last trip for a while. So we want to soak up those last few MK hours.

Thankfully, my kids aren’t into characters or parades, so we can avoid those (and ride some low wait time rides when everyone else is at the parades!)

The fascination with parades must be sort of an American thing. We (and almost all of our other Canadian friends) couldn't care less about those. We are there for the rides lol. The amount of people lining up for hours to get a good spot to see a parade just boggles my mind. If I happen to catch part of the parade I'm like "Okay, that's nice", but nothing I would go out of my way for.

The fascination with parades must be sort of an American thing. We (and almost all of our other Canadian friends) couldn't care less about those. We are there for the rides lol. The amount of people lining up for hours to get a good spot to see a parade just boggles my mind. If I happen to catch part of the parade I'm like "Okay, that's nice", but nothing I would go out of my way for.

I'm American, and I am so with you. The few times we've tried to watch one we've gotten up midway through and left because the kids were bored. I liked it, but it was definitely not a must-do for me.

I also don't get the concept of waiting ages around for the "best spot" for fireworks. They are IN THE SKY, you can't miss them. We just watch from wherever we happen to be and it is always lovely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts