Overwhelming!!

Charlie191086

Earning My Ears
I have followed this forum for many years, and after our last trip in 2011, we are looking to go again in May or November 2020.
May for not being patient to wait for November, but November preferred choice as would love to see all the Christmas decorations.

With such a large gap of 9 years between visits, and although I still follow the forum and various Vlogger’s,
Is it natural to feel very overwhelmed with the changes that have happened since 2011?? We are looking at staying on site, (this will also be a first) as we are four friends and want to take advantage of onsite transportation due to wanting to go our separate ways on some days.

Hi Charlie. We are also feeling the same. Our last trip was 2012. It is the changes to the fast pass system that we find the most daunting - having to commit to visiting a park 60 days beforehand rather than selecting Fastpass tickets on the day!
We are beyond excited however!
We are returning to POFQ which I would really recommend as it is a small moderate resort and we never have issues with wait times for transport (well we didn’t 8 years ago!)
Happy planning.

Hi
It is hard isn't it.
I hadn't been for ages and things had changed soooo much.
This is what I did.
I started with the hotel, then tickets and the then dining plan (if wanted)
Then loads of research into the restaurants to see what were we wanted to eat, as this can be booked first.
This then decided what parks on what days, so then it was fast passes.
After that any extras like, after hours or special events or tours.
I love planning so I enjoyed it, although waiting for the opening days was hard 😂
Then you will start tweeking as better times become available. Then you have to stop yourself tweeking or you will go mad 😂😂😂

I go in 2 and a bit weeks so I hope all the planning pays off, but, I am also happy to go with the flow and if things don't quite work out I will still be in the happy place and will enjoy it.

Totally normal to be a bit overwhelmed but try not to worry too much. You can change most fastpasses closer to time if you don’t fancy a particular park that day. I’d say it’s only the newer attractions that are hard to alter and sometimes even they pop up at odd times. Happy planning :)

Hi guys
I'm a regular visitor, I don't vlog or post youtube videos, although I do watch select channels on youtube that I find helpful, the two I recommend for planning are Dis with Pete, Craig, Rhyno and Steve and Disney Foodblog. Tim Tracker is popular, but, he is just someone who posts for attention and moneymaking, he doesn't offer anything of value, so don't waste your time on his over long, self indulgent videos.
The problem with reading vlogs and watching so many youtube videos is you can get overloaded with information, so what I tell people who ask me for advice (local people who know I go to Disney a lot) is with the 60 day FP+ book them as soon as the windows open, but, a day or two before think about which rides are top of your list and don't book them less than three hours before an outside the park ADR or two hours before a same park ADR , give yourself time to eat leisurely and for your meal to go down, even if the ride is time racing to it will still not be fun on a full stomach. Also FP+ are not set in stone, I tend to book them like mad on the opening window, getting my Tier One's, then rides I also want to do, when that's done I may go back and modify right up until my trip, keeping the essentials like Seven Dwarves or Flight of Passage, but, maybe changing the times of others or even changing rides completely. Also, don't book for something that isn't Tier One in the first hour of park opening. Book 7D for one hour after rope drop and spend that first hour over in Adventureland doing Pirates or Tomorrowland doing Buzz Lightyear or Space Mountain if the lines are still low. Ariel's ride is always empty first thing and that's one of the worst rides for photo flashers, so go on before they do and ride it in peace Lines get longer later on so that's when FP+ are more vital.

As for the DDP, if it's free then go for it, if you are staying at a value then you may get the free breakfast offer, that's a free meal per day you stay, but, of course you can use more than one a day if you want, look at it as 14 dining credits instead of a free breakfast, so you can use it on any meal and get better value if you aren't big breakfast people. However I would book an ADR for breakfast at Be Our Guest as that is the best value as the breakfast entrees are $28 and overpriced, despite being delicious. BOG is QS for breakfast and lunch so they are fantastic uses of credit, especially if you have an alcoholic drink with your meal, saying that, the servers told me I could also get myself a tea with my breakfast even though I had ordered a Mimosa with my meal, so that turned out to be a $45 value for one QS credit, tidy! Another piece of advice for DDP is don't listen to the vloggers who tell you to go for the biggest bang for your buck for snacks, have what you want or you could end up with a ton of credits left over on your last day like I did and I panic bought a load of junk just to get rid of them and overloaded my luggage for home, embarrassing when I checked in a bag that was 3lbs over the limit and had to open it up and transfer stuff into my hand luggage, which, thankfully they didn't weight. Just don't use them for water, water is plentiful for free at the parks or buy some from WalMart or Publix. Instacart is the best service I've used to have stuff delivered to my resort room.

Anyway, I hope some of this is useful, but, in the words of Corporal Jones 'DON'T PANIC!!'

Personally I would go for November for the Christmas decorations and it gives you longer to plan! I would book your flights and hotel first and then take it from there.
It’s important to have a plan and book your FP and perhaps some dining reservations, but just as important to know that the plan will change each day (we’ll mine does) and if you’ve done a bit of research then you will feel prepared to swap things round.

Thank you ever so much who have commented so far!! Your words have been very encouraging and made me reassure that we are going to the Happiest place on earth again!

it's overwhelming even when you have been recently!!!!!!
but keep in mind, that there are always things to do and see on the fly, even without having a fastpass...
and it's also possible to get FPs during the day...
we managed to even get some tough ones the same day...
also the first hour of the day, the lines aren't bad, so you'll be able to rope drop attractions if you like..
and in some of the parks, there are attractions that for the most part, never have bad lines.....
when we were just there in august for example, dinosaur in AK, never had a really terrible line...
the longest we saw it was 25 minutes...
so that's not so bad...

also there are shows that you can do standby..
i love Finding Nemo, the musical so i actually had a FP for it..
but we happened to walk by the earlier show and i saw the standby line had just gone in, so i asked if there was room and there was..
so without having had to wait even 5 minutes, we walked into the show and ended up with great seats...
same thing with the frozen singalong in DHS....which we really enjoyed and went 2 additional times.....for the additional shows, we did get a FP, but the same day, on the fly...

so there are things to do even when you don't have a FP for it... or for which you can optain a FP the same day..

If you're booking now you'll get free dining in May or a 10% discount in November. Might be worth bearing in mind. Either way you'll have plenty of time to make plans, book Fast passes and any Table service dining you might want to do.
Planning can be half the fun and You Tube certainly helps (and entertains). Check out AllEars.Net for lots of information on resorts and all restaurant menu's.
Hope you have fun planning!

Tim Tracker is popular, but, he is just someone who posts for attention and moneymaking, he doesn't offer anything of value, so don't waste your time on his over long, self indulgent videos.

Don't want to side track this thread, but there is no need for this.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter