Pace & character meets

scrappinmom

WDW, DL & DLP - up next ???
Hi everyone! I'm a long time Dis'er but haven't been here in forever! Finally going back & excited to participate in the Springtime 10k. I'm a walker not a runner....so if I can walk a 16-18min mile will I still be able to stop & meet a few characters? I just don't want to get swept up...How long will they give us to finish the race? 2 hrs total? or more?

Thanks so much for your help

The official pace requirement is 16min/mi based on the "balloon ladies" who are the official last starters of each race. That means 1:39:30 is the maximum amount of time they will be on the course. Assuming they cross the start line at 6am, that means you need to be able to finish the race before 7:33am. The rundisney website says to train for at least a 15min/mi pace, and this is a good practice to follow because you will likely cover a longer distance than the officially measured course tangents.

Now, if you start 5 min ahead of the balloon ladies (say the front of corral D instead of in the back with said ladies) you would be able to be closer to a 17min/mi pace. If you stop and wait in line for 5 min that is still "on the clock" and you would need to be a lot faster than 16min/mi to "make up" for that waiting in line. Just because YOU stopped doesn't mean the clock did.

Could you stop for characters? Maybe. The lines at the beginning of the race are usually a lot longer than the lines at the end, but if you already know that you tend to be *slower* than the sweep pace, you may find yourself hurrying along to avoid the sweepers and decide to forego the potentially shorter lines at the end. I would encourage you to get to your start corral early, and try to be as far to the front as you can, to give yourself as much of a time buffer between yourself and the "sweep line" (balloon ladies) to maximize your opportunity to be able to stop for a pic or 2 along the way.

Last edited:
As mentioned, you officially need to be able to keep the 16mm pace. The earlier you are in your corral, the more wiggle room you will have since they don't start sweeping until you fall behind the balloon ladies who start very last.

If you're actually closer to 18 mm I would guess that you won't be able to stop for any characters since you'll need at least 13 min head start on the sweep just to be able to finish. Additionally, the pacing includes any stops. Any photo lines, selfies, or bathroom visits will start eating away at your buffer.

On the flip side, if you can keep the 16 mm pace and start ahead, you may need able to squeeze in one or two stops. You'll need to play this by ear based on how long the line is and how your race is going. I highly suggest waiting until at least halfway and maybe even further just to make sure you have enough time for you to finish.

The official pace requirement is 16min/mi based on the "balloon ladies" who are the official last starters of each race. That means 1:33:30 is the maximum amount of time they will be on the course. Assuming they cross the start line at 6am, that means you need to be able to finish the race before 7:33am. The rundisney website says to train for at least a 15min/mi pace, and this is a good practice to follow because you will likely cover a longer distance than the officially measured course tangents.

Now, if you start 5 min ahead of the balloon ladies (say the front of corral D instead of in the back with said ladies) you would be able to be closer to a 17min/mi pace. If you stop and wait in line for 5 min that is still "on the clock" and you would need to be a lot faster than 16min/mi to "make up" for that waiting in line. Just because YOU stopped doesn't mean the clock did.

Could you stop for characters? Maybe. The lines at the beginning of the race are usually a lot longer than the lines at the end, but if you already know that you tend to be *slower* than the sweep pace, you may find yourself hurrying along to avoid the sweepers and decide to forego the potentially shorter lines at the end. I would encourage you to get to your start corral early, and try to be as far to the front as you can, to give yourself as much of a time buffer between yourself and the "sweep line" (balloon ladies) to maximize your opportunity to be able to stop for a pic or 2 along the way.
Not a huge difference, but 1 mm can be big. It is closer to a 1:40 finishing time (1:39 and change).

It definitely depends on how close to the front of the coral you are and how short lines are…

With W&D last year we were were in the middle of the last coral and could visualize how close the balloon ladies were as we made the turn into the start shoot

We decided to skip meets until after the 5k split to gain ground (if we had a better cushion we totally would of waited on hyacinth hippo) and waited about 5 mins if even for Mushu just outside studios

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter