Pacemaker safe rides?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello!
My parents are going to WDW in August. My dad has a pacemaker. Is there a comprehensive list anywhere for rides that are safe (or unsafe) for people with pacemakers? I’ve been searching and couldn’t find a concise list, but I figured the experts on here may have one.
Thanks in advance!

Disney doesn’t have any specific warnings about pacemakers and attractions. There are attractions with general warnings for people with health conditions, including cardiac conditions.
They are listed (with a bit of detail about why the warning might be there) in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board (or you can follow a link in my signature). Post one of that thread is an index that will help you find the post with the information you are looking for.

And this Disney website page has information about electronic technology at WDW. I copied the pacemaker information for you.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/

Implanted Pacemakers or Cardioverter-Defibrillators and RF Technology

If you have questions about your medical device and RF technology, we encourage you to seek the guidance of the manufacturer of your device and your physician. Manufacturers of Implantable Pacemaker and Cardioverter-Defibrillators (ICDs) typically recommend that you keep your medical device 9 inches (23 cm) away from RF transmitters comparable to the one found inside the MagicBand and touch points found throughout Walt Disney World Resort.

If you suspect interference with your device is taking place, move away from the RF device so it is at least 9-inches (23-cm) distance away from your Pacemaker or ICD.

So, how are those with pacemakers supposed to enter the parks/rides if they have to stay 9 inches away from the RFID touchpoints? I am sure there is a solution, just curious now.

So, how are those with pacemakers supposed to enter the parks/rides if they have to stay 9 inches away from the RFID touchpoints? I am sure there is a solution, just curious now.
The instructions say to keep the RFID device 9 inches away from the pacemaker.
That’s not hard to do ( unless it’s a small child) since the pacemaker is in the chest and guests need to touch the Mickey head on their Magicband or their park pass card to the touch point.

If someone is really concerned, they could have another member of their group take care of touching the touchpoint for them.

Exactly what @SueM in MN said - you don't have to wear your MagicBand - another member of the party can carry it, wear it on their arm, or on a lanyard for that matter.

Until he learned to judge for himself how far away things were, my uncle wore a 15" length of yarn, attached to his shirt with a safety pin, and just kept it tucked inside his shirt when he didn't need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter