Packaged underwear?’s

I wash everything before wear. I have been washing bras and underwear in hot water ever since I was breastfeeding--if you have never had the pleasure to read in the parenting books about all the creepy crawlies and icky stuff that can live on your intimates then you are blessed in that ignorance. Anyway, ever since reading about all of that I have to wash bras, underwear, socks, towels, and linens in hot water with a splash of bleach. It probably does break down the fabric faster but I have learned to buy higher quality things, they last longer. I still get more than a year out of most of my intimates and I can't remember when I bought my comforter and sheets but I'm sure it was before my 7 year old daughter was born. Heavily soiled clothes are washed in warm, whites, black clothes, and dress clothes are washed in cold.

Warm water is actually better at cleaning many items than cold water.

Have never heard that - cold water has always gotten the job done for me - it's usually what is mostly recommended except for very soiled clothing. I don't usually have any 'hardened gunk' on our clothes, if something is extra soiled with grease, whatever, I'll use the hottest water possible. But, whatever works for you------
As for germs, I rely on the hot heat of the dryer, but I never put bras in the dryer - usually air dry them outside in the sun.

Cold water won't allow the detergent to work as well unless you buy a specific formula for cold water washing. Laundry detergent, like most soaps, works best in warm to hot water.

That’s what I do. Buy a cold washing detergent for a front loading machine.

Do you wash a sealed package of underwear before wearing? I always have as it still just gives me the creeps.

2nd question what water temp do you wash your underwear in? I have always used warm as that is what my mom always did. I contemplate using hot but am afraid that will breakdown the material too fast. However, talking to co-workers they wash everything, including underwear in cold water.

The stuff that would typically be in underwear comes out better in cold.

A quit internet search and I found that, in the past, most detergents didn't function well below 60 degrees. This temp works fine for most people if you live in normal climates. For cold-weather states or winter time for most states, the cold water is going to be below that so the detergents don't work well.

Then I went on to read that this was "in the past" and most regular detergents now (you don't even need to buy the cold-water ones) will work in a temperature below 60 degrees.

I was most things before I wear them, unless I'm feeling dangerous that day. :p Or if I have a really pretty shirt I want to wear asap.

I wash most of my stuff in cold water, except for my bedding. Before I had surgery last year part of my prep instructions were to wash my bedding in hot water, so I've kind of stuck to that.

I usually wash new stuff before I wear it. I learned my lesson the hard way when I was younger. One night I noticed I was turning blue and I really started to freak out because I thought I had something really bad happening to me. My parents pointed out that I had worn a brand new blue top that day :o

I usually was stuff in warm water... because that is the default setting on the washer.

Occasionally I wash new items of clothing prior to wearing. I wash in cold water. I always remove items from packaging before washing.
:thumbsup2 Protip!!

I don't wash new clothes prior to wearing at all with the exception of dark, over-dyed jeans so the colour doesn't rub off on everything. Occasionally I'll get a new item that has a weird chemical smell and instead of washing it I'll take it back - I wouldn't have purchased it if I'd noticed the smell in the store.

I'm a "sorter" and wash whites in hot water with oxy-boost detergent. Towels, bedding, socks and DH's fruit-of-the-looms get bleach. Darks and some brights get cold water and cold-water detergent. Everything else gets warm. I've always got 3 or 4 types of detergent, each for a specific kind of load.

Generally speaking I wash undergarments in cold or tepid water by hand. The hand part is a leftover from a different age's mindset that I subscribe to. Since underwear (or at least the ones I buy) have sanitary paper in the center I don't wash them in advance. Neither the man's or DGD's come that way and since both of them think they need a minimum of 14 pairs of bottoms to make it through the week I let them do whatever they want with their new furnishings. Not a battle worth fighting in my life, LOL.

I generally won't wash new underwear from the package before wearing. However, if DW notices, she'll wash the remaining pairs.

Most things are washed in warm water with a cold rinse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!