Packing A Cake On A Plane

B. Shoe

I'm Gonna Stand Out, 'Til You Notice Me!
I apologize if this is a silly question, and it may not be possible at all, but I want to at least ask:

For anyone that has flown to Disney World, and taken the Cake Decorating Class at Disney Springs, how did you get your cake home with you? We have an opportunity to go on our last day of our trip, and I know DD10 would love it. I just want to be able to safely get the cake home to enjoy it over the weekend.

The class would be at 9AM. Our flight is at 7PM that evening. We are also checking out of our Resort that day Would the cake hold up through all of the transport and possible warm temperatures? Can we bring the cake on as a carry-on item?

Thank you, in advance, for any advice or tips!

Didn't take the class but have purchase decorated cakes and cupcakes to take home on the plane many times. Make sure its in a box and you must carry it on. Treat it like your carrying a carton of eggs much care is needed.
Whatever you do "you" put it on the scanner belt and notify TSA its a cake to be careful. They will scan it then put it to the side and call you over. They will open and swab it. The last time was 2016 I was on business
and stopped in Disney Springs to buy a cake and cupcakes for my daughters as a surprise. They were in a bag and I made it all the way to the scanner put it on the belt I turned for a split second and a TSA agent put the bag on
its side before it went thru the scanner. I don't know for the life of me why but the person did. When it came out the other end I can see the operator looking at me like damn you aren't going to be happy. They called me over
so they can inspect and I didn't have the heart to look when they opened it. The guy asked this is yours I said yes he swabbed the box and then put it back in the bag. Talk about pissed I didn't look in the box while at the gate just
called my wife to tell her everything has to be ruined. I told her I spent $100 and if I looked in the box after the way it went thru the scanner I would have been locked up. Hours later at home I gave them the box and like I expected ruined. I will tell you even though it looked like someone stepped on it the cake/cupcakes still tasted great.

PP mentioned security, but what are you going to do after you get through security? I find that if I put something in the overhead bin, people will try to cram other stuff in there and don't care what they do to my item. (Think hard suitcase with wheels being shoved in after I put a lightweight duffel bag in there.) If you don't put it in the overhead bin, you are going to have to put it under the seat in front of you -- if the gox isn't too wide -- and try not to kick it.

Your daughter can take a cake decorating class at home, so I would think you might want to come up with a different, Disney-specific activity for your final day.

Also keep in mind that if it’s under the seat in front of you, that area can get very warm. I’ve had chocolate bars turn to liquid under the seat. Carrying home a cake is ill advised.

Thank you, everyone. I think you all are right; it would be quite a hassle to try and safely get the cake home. And chances are not good that the cake would likely survive the trip without damage. I appreciate all of your insight! We'll find something else to do to wrap up our trip with!

We took an entire 8 inch cake home that we ordered our departure day. It won't look pretty but it still tastes great! We don't check any bags and only use the free under seat baggage when we travel. So I found some Glad disposable Tupperware containers that were light and slightly flexible (at least not as hard and rigid as the ones that aren't disposable). I fit half the cake in each one and then fit the containers sideways in the top of my Vera Bradley Weekender bag. Worked out great!

Oh goodness! It sounds like quite a lot of effort. We'll probably be better off to not worry about. At six days until our trip, we've got enough to worry about, besides a cake on a plane! Thank you, all, for your comments and advice.

We got married in Disney in 2012, and my parents took the top tier of our wedding cake home for us. They took it through security (carefully) and then put it under a seat in front of one of them for the ride. It made it home in tact and then they wrapped it and froze it for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter