Packing extra snacks in checked luggage with ice packs?

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we are leaving for Disney on Saturday and flying Southwest Airlines. We have never flown as a family before, so I'm having to figure out some packing along the way. With Southwest, we get 2 checked bags per person and as a family of 4, I know we won't be needing 8 checked bags! lol

I'm thinking of packing one of the extra suitcases with food. I know we could go with Amazon Pantry or Garden Grocer, but if I could run to Walmart and get all the fruit snacks, goldfish, etc and already have them with me, I think that would be the easiest and probably cheaper. But I was wondering if I put a smaller insulated lunchbox in the suitcase, if I could bring things like yogurts or small bottle of milk with some Yeti ice packs?? I'm not worried about them staying cold. We have a relatively short trip to the airport and less than 2 hour flight. If for some reason we were delayed, I might lose a few dollars worth of yogurts. I'm more concerned if they would confiscate something like that? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Hi all, we are leaving for Disney on Saturday and flying Southwest Airlines. We have never flown as a family before, so I'm having to figure out some packing along the way. With Southwest, we get 2 checked bags per person and as a family of 4, I know we won't be needing 8 checked bags! lol

I'm thinking of packing one of the extra suitcases with food. I know we could go with Amazon Pantry or Garden Grocer, but if I could run to Walmart and get all the fruit snacks, goldfish, etc and already have them with me, I think that would be the easiest and probably cheaper. But I was wondering if I put a smaller insulated lunchbox in the suitcase, if I could bring things like yogurts or small bottle of milk with some Yeti ice packs?? I'm not worried about them staying cold. We have a relatively short trip to the airport and less than 2 hour flight. If for some reason we were delayed, I might lose a few dollars worth of yogurts. I'm more concerned if they would confiscate something like that? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Yes, you definitely can do that in a checked bag.

You can do that in a checked bag. I've never done it, but if I were you, I'd put the items in large ziplock baggies before putting them in your insulated bag. Luggage is thrown around and gets banged up, also from pressure. I'd be afraid a mess would be made in my bag if the milk or yogurt leaked. Small items such as lotion and sunscreen have leaked on me before, but luckily they were in a ziplock baggy so I didn't have much to clean.

I've been getting my WDW groceries from Amazon Prime Now (different from Amazon Pantry). The prices were very reasonable, you can order in advance and designate a delivery window. You can check them out online to see if they generally have in stock the kinds of things you want for your trip. To me, this is way easier than shopping ahead of time and traveling with an extra checked bag. Also, wouldn't you have to pay for that checked bag? That might eliminate the "cheaper" aspect right there.

I've flown with frozen breast milk and ice packs in checked (and carry on) luggage, so yes, you will be fine!

I've been getting my WDW groceries from Amazon Prime Now (different from Amazon Pantry). The prices were very reasonable, you can order in advance and designate a delivery window. You can check them out online to see if they generally have in stock the kinds of things you want for your trip. To me, this is way easier than shopping ahead of time and traveling with an extra checked bag. Also, wouldn't you have to pay for that checked bag? That might eliminate the "cheaper" aspect right there.

They're flying Southwest & will get 8 bags checked for free. The OP said that they won't be using all 8 bags, so that leaves them room to pack other items if they wish!

OP, depending on our destination, we have had no issues packing a suitcase full of food! Since you'll have more than enough checked bags to use, I say go for it. Heck I've seen people on these boards who pack a suitcase with frozen, pre-cooked dinners!

Hi all! OP here, currently waiting at the airport. We ended up checking 2 bags, 1 with food and 1 with clothes. We opted not to pack cold food, bc our other snacks filled it up! Lol with 3 kids we have lots of snacks. Anyway, thanks for your help. Here’s to a great trip!

Thanks!
No experience with that but I'd definitely buy the stuff in advance/take the suitcase then use the money saved to buy extra stuff that I'd pack in the extra suitcase. Win/win. :teeth:

I used to do it before I started renting a car in Disney. Never had a problem. They do open your luggage if there are drinks (I brought juice boxes) But they didn't take anything, just the card saying the luggage was opened and inspected.

Also if you rent a car Walmart is great you can order in advance and just pull into parking lot to pick up food already paid for. Quick and doesn't waste any time. I did that my last trip and loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter