Packing for the cruise

connie1042

DIS Veteran
Starting to get things together for our Nov. 11 cruise on the Fantasy. I know it is early, but we are also packing for 4 kids. Going to Palo Brunch. So this is what I have sorta ready. I am coming from MN. and will be cming a couple of days early to spend on Cocoa Beach, than staying a couple of days extra to go to WDW.
1 pair jeans: Will wear on plane, it will be cold here
2 pairs of capri's. One white, one jean. Will wear white pair to Palo's
6 shorts. 2 jean, 2 white, 1 tan and 1 red
11 t-shirts
4 tank tops
1 legging and shirt to match
1 sweatpants and short and long sleeve shirt to match
1 sweatshirt
1 dress sweater for Sundresses
3 sundresses
3 swim suits
What do you think? Enough or way to much?

What do you need 11 t-shirts for? You're going to spend most of your time in a swim suit and cover-up. You're going to wear shorts and a top for a few hours at a time. Get rid of half the shorts and t-shirts. What are the sweat pants and tops for? You're going to be in the Caribbean...it's hot. Wear the same things to dinner...NOBODY will notice that you wore the same dress on Tuesday night and Friday night. Plan on wearing the capris for dinner one night too. On Tuesday or Wednesday of your cruise, send clothing out for laundry or wash a few loads yourself so you have clean clothes ready for WDW.

I try to plan what I'm going to wear every day as I pack, with the intent of wearing it more than once. Now, if you're planning on touring ruins or going hiking or something where you know your clothes will get dirty and sweaty, that's a different story.

Way too much! We're going on our fourth cruise and I bring less each time and still end up with too much. I bring one pair long pants (jeans or leggings) for the plane/cooler weather, 1 sweatshirt, 1 capris, 3 dresses (one nice, 2 sundresses), sweater for cool dining rooms, 3 pairs shorts, a few shirts, 3 swimsuits, 2 sets work out clothes, underthings, 1 pair each flipflops, sneakers and nice sandals for formal/Palo/Remy. This covers me for three park days at universal and a 7 day cruise. For husband/boys, 1 set each slacks and nice shirt, 2 swim suits, 3 pair shorts, a few shirts, shoes.

What do you need 11 t-shirts for? You're going to spend most of your time in a swim suit and cover-up. You're going to wear shorts and a top for a few hours at a time. Get rid of half the shorts and t-shirts. What are the sweat pants and tops for? You're going to be in the Caribbean...it's hot. Wear the same things to dinner...NOBODY will notice that you wore the same dress on Tuesday night and Friday night. Plan on wearing the capris for dinner one night too. On Tuesday or Wednesday of your cruise, send clothing out for laundry or wash a few loads yourself so you have clean clothes ready for WDW.

I try to plan what I'm going to wear every day as I pack, with the intent of wearing it more than once. Now, if you're planning on touring ruins or going hiking or something where you know your clothes will get dirty and sweaty, that's a different story.
Not everyone spends their day by the pool in a swimsuit and coverup. We rarely do the pool on the ships. I spend my day going to all the various activities, movies and such.

Looks good to me, especially since you're having extra days before and after the cruise to pack for. I would much rather have too much than not enough. A lot of people bring less and do laundry on the ship. I would rather over pack and not do laundry on my vacation. I will wear the same capris/skirts more than once at dinnertime and switch out the tops. You might also want to bring special outfits for pirate night, you don't have to, but it's always fun to do so.

There is only a few drawers in the cabin. As long as you can fit all/most of your clothes in one drawer and some hang up stuff, then you are good to go. I agree with Iklgoodman, bringing something fun for pirate night is fun. Have a great time!!

Well, my husband would probably say too much, because he tells me I over pack every trip, but I think you have it, and won't have to do laundry.

For a 7 day I normally pack (no extra travel, I'm local to FL)
7 pairs of shorts, 1 -2 capri's (just incase)
2 -3 dresses depending on if we book Palo.
8 t-shirts
2-3 workout t-shirts
2-3 workout capris
2 pairs of sneakers (I learned this the hard way - down pours in Cozumel had standing water in the streets... GROSS, it soaked my only pair I had to had wash and dry them so I had walking shoes)
3 pairs of sandals
1 pair dress shoes (for Palo)
1 pair swim shoes,
1 bathing suit (I don't do the pool every day).
1 cover up
1-2 sweatshirts (I'm usually cold at night)
1 jacket (goes with the dresses)
Plus toiletries.
DH tells me "there is laundry on the boat" but I am on vacation - I don't want to deal with it. :D

The real question is... how good of a packer are you? I try to roll everything, stuff items inside others etc, but still end up putting something in hubby's suitcase.

Im more worried about the cool weather in Florida. I guess I will watch the weather and when we are a week out see what the temps are going to be. Than can get rid of the long sleeves and light sweatpants. I will leave one of the dresses behind. I could take out a few t-shirts. Still undecided on the swimsuit cover up. I have a nice terry one, or a couple of dresses/ throw over a swimsuit kind. The dress one would take up less space, but the terry one would feel good if the wind was blowing on the deck. Have pirate costume.

Im more worried about the cool weather in Florida.

Define cool. Cool to me is 72; cold is the 60s. I'm a former Jersey girl that always hated the cold and moved to FL 18 years ago. My friends come to visit and I'm in a heavy hoodie with layers underneath. They think I'm crazy.

November is a great time of year and when the temps start to cool off. You can have mid 60s-upper 70s for average highs, and 50s for lows. you may get some 80s too. But just like anyplace, you can have the freak hard freeze at night or 90+ degree days.

Personally I lay out all that I think I want to pack, and then 10 days out start looking at the forecast to make my final decisions.

Here is your husband's list (nobody asked, just suggestin'):
Wear short sleeve shirt (formal night) over t-shirt and zip-off cargo pants (formal night and eventual shorts) with socks and shoes (whatever will pass for formal night), sunglasses and cap on the plane going and coming. Carry camera, passport, sun screen, credit cards/cash and ear plugs.
Pack: One other pair of shorts; 1 t-shirt; 1 swim suit; flip-flops; 2 sets underwear, toothbrush/paste and bottle of wine in bubblepack.
Buy on board: 1 Mickey sweatshirt, Mickey bow tie (formal night) and eye patch for pirate night.
All set!!!!

I'm an overpacker by nature and definitely fall into the "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" group. But for our upcoming cruise, I'm really trying to pack mostly dresses than can double as swim coverups and still nice enough to wear to dinner. And just a couple shorts/capris/tops. So much of my luggage space is going to be used for pirate/halloween/formal nights that dresses are my way to save space, if that makes sense. :goodvibes

Starting to get things together for our Nov. 11 cruise on the Fantasy. I know it is early, but we are also packing for 4 kids. Going to Palo Brunch. So this is what I have sorta ready. I am coming from MN. and will be cming a couple of days early to spend on Cocoa Beach, than staying a couple of days extra to go to WDW.
1 pair jeans: Will wear on plane, it will be cold here
2 pairs of capri's. One white, one jean. Will wear white pair to Palo's
6 shorts. 2 jean, 2 white, 1 tan and 1 red
11 t-shirts
4 tank tops
1 legging and shirt to match
1 sweatpants and short and long sleeve shirt to match
1 sweatshirt
1 dress sweater for Sundresses
3 sundresses
3 swim suits
What do you think? Enough or way to much?
I agree, this is too much, if it's just for you.

I always pack enough for 7 days, and plan on one load of laundry. That typically translates to
2 pairs long pants (including the ones I wear for travel)
2 capris/1 shorts
4-5 t shirts/ 2-3 nice blouses
formal dress
dress slacks
1 fancy blouse
1 lightweight jacket
1 wrap for formal night (doubles as swim suit coverup)
2 swimsuits

Last edited:
A bit off topic but still in the "packing " realm....since it is a November cruise do you keep some of your more summery clothes out ( I usually have packed away the colorful summer linens and such by now ) to take for a Caribbean cruise ? Day time attire is not an issue because being by the pool or on an excursion would call for warmer weather outfits.....it's the evening/dinner attire that has me stumped. We have never sailed this time of year before so I am in a quandary as to what to take.

A bit off topic but still in the "packing " realm....since it is a November cruise do you keep some of your more summery clothes out ( I usually have packed away the colorful summer linens and such by now ) to take for a Caribbean cruise ? Day time attire is not an issue because being by the pool or on an excursion would call for warmer weather outfits.....it's the evening/dinner attire that has me stumped. We have never sailed this time of year before so I am in a quandary as to what to take.

We did the WC last January. I still wore summery clothes for dinner, mostly dresses and capris/short sleeve tops. A lot of people will bring a light weight wrap/sweater for the dining rooms/theaters because some find it cool in them. The only time I needed long pants/long sleeve top/light jacket was when we were on deck at night for the pirate night activities. It was mostly windy, not really cold. When we left home last Jan. it was minus 9 degrees. When we arrived in Orlando they had a "cold" front move in, it was mid 60s. We were running around in shorts/t-shirts loving it. Our driver was in a heavy coat/long pants saying it was freezing out. lol.

Last edited:
We did the WC last January. I still wore summery clothes for dinner, mostly dresses and capris/short sleeve tops. A lot of people will bring a light weight wrap/sweater for the dining rooms/theaters because some find it cool in them. The only time I needed long pants/long sleeve top/light jacket was when we were on deck at night for the pirate night activities. It was mostly windy, not really cold. When we left home last Jan. it was minus 9 degrees. When we arrived in Orlando they had a "cold" front move in, it was mid 60s. We were running around in shorts/t-shirts loving it. Our driver was in a heavy coat/long pants saying it was freezing out. lol.

Yes, I always bring a wrap of some sort and a light jacket. My issue is not wanting to dress like Polly Parrot in the month of November if most other ladies will be in less summery colors. It's a throw-back to my upbringing "all those years ago " :D when you did not wear white after Labor Day (yes, I know things have changed ). Thank you for the considerate response.

Most people almost always overpack. Pare down and you'll be fine. If you run out of shirts, there's laundry or go buy one in the shops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter