Packing/Luggage question

granna

Mouseketeer
Getting down to 3 weeks now I am a first time cruiser thinking about packing logistics. Just hubby and me in our stateroom. I am planning on two checked bags each... then carrying on one tote bag (purse) , one large camera bag, and a back pack. My daughter and husband are wondering about # of bags they can check (with a small child) and how thorough is the search...
in other words, if you pack in zip lock bags , do they open them? Is it like airline check where you can't have scissors, nail clippers etc?

Granna....just curious...how large are your checked bags? We pack everything we need in one large suitcase each. Then we each have a tote bag and I carry the camera bag.

Nail clippers or scissors will be allowed thru security at DCL but not at the airport. The machines look the same as the ones at the airport.

The will not allow any kind of knife or leatherman type things in either checked or carry ons. I have never seen DCL open any carry on stuff to be searched, but I am sure it happens sometimes.

MJ

The cruise line allows two checked bags per person, so your daughter will be allowed 6 checked bags.

DCL does check bags, but I had all my clothes packed in zip locks and they didn't open any of them. They do confiscate knives etc. but not nail clippers and scissors from my experience.

Thanks, this will help. My husband usually gets a week's worth of clothes in one hangup and one duffel (not huge). I use two medium size rolling bags, but I could do it all in one large. Lighter clothes for summer will make the difference. DD won't need 6, her husband is a great packer!! Took a week's worth of recreational activities to a mission in Romania last year!!! Balls, pumps, etc. :D

shouls we ziplock all our clothes, or is this a little much.

We ziplocked everything and labeled it with flight and destination information. At Ontario Airport, we were pulled for hand inspection, but bags were just swiped with what looked like a Clearasil pad.

We also had no problem with carryons except they made my DD put our doughnuts on the x-ray conveyor. I also had a pair of nail clippers in my carry on bag.

We don't put our clothes in ziplock bags, but then we don't fly when we cruise (only 2 hours away). They do recommend putting your personals that you don't want other hands to touch in ziplock bags when you fly.

I didn't ziplock all our clothes, but I did do it for the kids. I put a shirt, shorts and underwear in a bag and labeled it with the childs name (I have 3 boys). That way, when 5 of us were trying to dress in the morning, it was very simple to give my kids a bag, and they had a whole outfit, no searching for stuff! I was able to squeeze all the air out of the bags, which made them take up less space, and they didn't wrinkle.

This was the first time I tried this, and it worked so well, I will do this everytime we travel, even when we aren't flying.

Another plus, is our bags did get searched, and nothing got messed up this way.

He was looking at the latest regulations regarding carry on and checked items over the weekend and reported that nail clippers and nail files are back on the "ok" to have in your carryon list!

As for the checked bags - we bought new rolling cases about a year ago figuring that for the 4 of us we could do it in those, not going to work with the 50 pound limit. :rolleyes:

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter