• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Packing Tips for 3 Ladies on 7 Night Cruise

Ashley24

DIS Veteran
We have gone on 3 of the Wonder cruises but this will be our first Magic Cruise. My head is just spinning when I think about all the clothes I will need to pack for the evenings! Can someone give me some helpful tips about what to pack, how much to pack, and the best way to pack it. I am primarily interested in knowing how myself and two dds will get all our dresses packed! On the three night cruise we had to pack 9 dresses! And then of course dh's suit coat, pants, dress shirts, etc. I plan on renting him a tux that will be delivered to our stateroom to free up some space....how many nights do you think he could wear it (2?). The girls and I could buy tropical dresses on St. Martin but that still leaves a bunch of things to be packed! HELP!
Ann

Hi Ann,
I am probably in the minority with my opinions on packing.........
My opinion is.....what is the difference if you check 3 bags or 5 bags? Once you make the choice to check a bags(instead of carrying on) then you still have to go to baggage claim. So you get a cart and pile 'em up! HAVING SAID THAT!!!! LOL

I have the best luck with garment bags. If you get a couple good ones you can pack all of your dresses, they will stay pretty neat, and you husbands things. I hang all of Johnnys shirts on 1 hanger (kind of layer them on top of each other)put that on the topside of the garment bag, then put his pants folded in 1/2 on the other side. In my opinion....you should bring an outfit for every night. I bring a bunch of stuff for day activities too. I am just not the kind of person that likes to hang all day in a bathing suit. What I did do for the first time is put all of my "stuff" (shampoo, first aid, hair products ect) in a 24" roller bag and I will carry it on board. You would be surprised how much space that frees up in your suitcase and no fear of leakage.

I wear a uniform to work so when I go on vacation I like to wear different things each time I dress up to go out. I guess thats just my thing! It sounds like there is plenty of storage space in the cabins so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Good luck! OH YEA!
Shoes....whada 'bout da shoes....different pair for each dress.....ONLY KIDDING!!!! Laurie

:)

Dear Ann -

I simply relegate DH to swimwear and gym short and use all his leftover space!!

Seriously, I am also of the "use your alloted luggage quota" school but have found that for us on the cruises, I didn't use all that I brought and it's a pain to repack so I've cut back. Here are my suggestions:

#1) We enjoy dressing up so I bring one long formal, one dressier dress (semi-formal night) and I also bring a Tuxedo pantsuit. Those and DD's (8 y/o) dresses for Formal and Semi-Formal nights go in a hanging bag. Over each of our individual dresses I hang a separate plastic dry cleaners bag which helps a lot with decreasing wrinkles.
#2) The rest of the dinners I wear dressy or casual pants depending on theme with different sweaters for mix and match. I can also wear the pants during the day just by wearing a different shirt or sweater. I dress them up or dress them down depending on the sweater and jewelry. The pants and sweaters fit nicely in the suitcase.
#3) I pack one large suitcase for DD and one for me with outfits pre-planned for each day and/ or evening. Sometimes, it's just a pool coverup and swimsuit or shorts and a tee-shirt. It sounds funny but doing that cuts way down on the amount of clothes we bring. Most importantly, this method successfully leaves room for new purchases!!
One note: I ALWAYS bring "little girl plastic hangers" and adult hangers along and then we maximize use of the closets and store nightgowns, underwear, bathing suits, cover-ups etc in the drawers. I also leave the adult hangars from the dry cleaner on the ship for more room on the return trip.
#4) I take the minimum # of shoes (just cause I hate packing them): Dressy black pumps, simple black leather heels, one pair of Sketchers and pool shoes. I find that I wear the Sketchers and pool shoes through most of the trip but running shoes with a long formal just don't work for me. ;)

If you enjoy dressing up, I think you are very smart to rent the tux for DH. It works well and saves a lot of room. I don't think DH will wear it more than two nights (Formal/Semi-Formal) unless you would like him to wear it to Palo's. From what I have seen, most men didn't wear tuxes on Semi-Formal night but my DH did and he was very comfortable. And, to be honest, our pictures from Formal night were simply awful and the ones from Semi-Formal were great so we are glad he wore it the second time.

Have a wonderful cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter