Paid fastpass for Star Wars? I sure hope not...

IMHO, they should have made SWGE a 5th gate or, at least temporarily, limited the capacity the way they do at Discovery Cove. Charge a lot of money and have fewer people inside. With the buzz that's been going on for years surrounding this and the release of more and more info about how AMAZING it is going to be, the place is going to be packed to the gills, which, I personally think, is going to negatively impact the guest experience. I've been in Pandora and TSL during high crowd times. It's not fun and no one can truly appreciate the incredible detail in either of these lands when you are jam packed inside and are simply trying to move from point A to point B. Personally, I wouldn't mind if WDW went with a FP+ ONLY scenario for SWGE. Sort of what you see for timed-entry exhibits at places like the American Natural History Museum or the recent Mickey's 90th pop-up museum in NYC. You pay extra, you enter when it's your time and you can actually enjoy the experience. I'm all for anything that will reduce crowd size and increase the likelihood of a positive guest experience. If that means paying for FP+, I'm fine with that. Even without paid FP+, WDW is going to find ways to ultra-monetize access to SWGE.

SWGE isn't big enough to be it's own 5th gate park. It's much like Harry Potter world, it really isn't fit for being it's own park, there just won't be enough there. Granted Star Wars will indeed likely be much busier.
Disney has a balancing act to play of making as much money as they can, controlling crowds, yet still catering to their guests and being an enjoyable place. Making SWGE an exclusive, paid only type of place would hurt their image. Plus, lots of people will be taking an entire Disney vacation with SWGE in mind. If people found out they'd have to pay even more just to go to SWGE, which at the end of the day is just a portion of the park, they'd be disappointed and likely rethink their vacation.
SWGE is going to be crazy busy and crazy popular. There just isn't much they can do to limit the crowds and keep everyone happy.

I'd absolutely pay for fastpasses, or extra fastpasses. We utilized the Universal Express Pass during our trip two years ago and it was awesome. If I could get that at Disney for limited days I'd definitely take advantage.

I wish we could easily make free FP+ for all rides at WDW (and really, that we could ride everything standby with minimal wait times).
However, the parks are crowded enough, on a regular enough basis, that unless they substantially raise prices so that fewer people go to WDW, that won't happen. Especially not when they introduce brand new attractions based on one of the (the most?) most popular IPs out there.
For some people, their time is valuable and it makes financial sense to pay to not have to wait in hours-long attraction lines. I honestly don't know what our limit is for how much we'd pay for FP+ or a special SW:GE event - we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, and I think it will be more about principle than if we can actually afford it.

I really really hope that they don't go down the road of charging for fast pass's to GE. Yes I could easily afford it but it would not be fair to others and yes this would bother me. As it is I don't mind that our vacations are 10 to 14 days. And they are expensive enough now that the girls have been bitten by the deluxe bug (my fault). They have figured out some of this and plan on our 1st 2 days being in Epcot then 2 days in Animal Kingdom. They are figuring my best chances of getting fast pass's will be days 5-7 bu have told me the last day is OK if I can get them then.

My feelings about paid hard ticket events and special parties & tours are totally different from my feelings about any sort of paid system to be granted access to SWGE during regular park hours, which are different from my feelings regarding paid fast passes throughout the parks in general.

I have zero issue with any number of special events, tours, parties, no matter how expensive or exclusive they may be. A party for just annual pass holders? Fine. An event for just DVC members? Go for it. A tour just for guests at a certain resort? No problem. $200 an hour, per guest for early access to an area or a park... if people will pay, be my guest. :)

I absolutely think Disney should be adding any amount of special hours/tours/events they can for SWGE simply because I think they'll need to. And by that same reasoning, if they wanted to introduce some sort of special paid something for guests during regular hours to reduce wait time, I wouldn't mind...as long as it was temporary. Get things past the chaos level of when each ride first opens (however long they determine that to be) and then return that land to the same rules governing fast passes everywhere else. (But go ahead and keep the before/after hour events and VIP tours.) But I don't think it should result in customers who opt out of it not getting on the rides at all.

But for the basic fast pass system as it exists in the parks now....I like it as it is. It's not perfect, but it's not bad. We're not the type to die to be on a certain ride, so it's great for us. But I understand it may not be great for everyone.And we are the type to pay for an after event or two, so that increases our chances of hitting the rides that may be tough to get to during the day. But I like the assigned times and I like the idea that WDW still offers something pretty cool for free. It gives me the warm fuzzies, so to speak. :)

Come on people we have to pay, disney ceo only got like 60 million in pay and stock options this year.

The current system is actually more egalitarian than you give it credit for. The person paying $125/night at All-Star Sports gets the same 60d advantage as someone dropping $700/night at the Contemporary.

But people staying club level get double the fast passes with no tier restrictions and get them at 90 days out.

But people staying club level get double the fast passes with no tier restrictions and get them at 90 days out.
Yes and this is probably a sign of things to come. However, the parking lot view at All-Star Sports and the Poly Theme Park View still both get 3 at 60.

A paid fp system would be a return to operating the parks as they were when Walt was alive. When you paid to get in then paid by the ride or bought ride ticket books. Those with more money got more rides.
As far as SWGE I planned on some sort of paid thing coming when they first announced it. Not for me. I dont care. But I opened a savings account for my mother and every birthday and holiday I put the amount I would have spent on gifts in it. And that's why am her good child. My 70 year old mother will be ankle deep in STGE no matter what it costs.

Star Wars will draw in people who had no interest in Disney before. WDW has a unique system for express ride queue passes unlike any other theme park, including Disney theme parks outside of Florida. Right now there are few folks new to Disney that are showing up for a new Disney attraction. If these novice folks get their tickets with their package a few weeks before their trip, log in and get fast passes, and don’t get the latest hard to get rides they may not care. They’ve never been on Everest, so not getting a FOP pass isn’t a deal breaker. So their trip to WDW is a success.

Now imagine a hard line Star Wars fan that pays for staying onsite for 2 days just to see the new land and ride the new rides and then logs in at 60 days out just to find they can’t get a FP. Their trip to WDW is not a success. If they can pay extra to get a FP to a Star Wars line that guarantees them the experience then it turns the trip around.

Museums often charge extra for a special exhibit. Amusement parks often charge extra for a bungee jump ride. Charging for a special FP would fall into the range of expected tourist costs. This may be a new concept for those used to WDW, but for people who vacation elsewhere it’s pretty standard.

So when it get to the point that everyone is paying for fast passes, we'll be in the same situation we are in now, but it will cost more.

Then people will be saying they will pay EVEN MORE to skip the lines.

It is just a cycle until they start selling ride tickets for individual rides again (on top of park admission).

I only scanned this thread and didn't see where anyone mentioned, but I saw that FP will not be allowed for Star Wars rides to begin with... how long? Not sure...

I only scanned this thread and didn't see where anyone mentioned, but I saw that FP will not be allowed for Star Wars rides to begin with... how long? Not sure...
Correct no FP for Star Wars attractions at opening and likely for a while.

My feelings about paid hard ticket events and special parties & tours are totally different from my feelings about any sort of paid system to be granted access to SWGE during regular park hours, which are different from my feelings regarding paid fast passes throughout the parks in general.

I have zero issue with any number of special events, tours, parties, no matter how expensive or exclusive they may be. A party for just annual pass holders? Fine. An event for just DVC members? Go for it. A tour just for guests at a certain resort? No problem. $200 an hour, per guest for early access to an area or a park... if people will pay, be my guest. :)

I absolutely think Disney should be adding any amount of special hours/tours/events they can for SWGE simply because I think they'll need to. And by that same reasoning, if they wanted to introduce some sort of special paid something for guests during regular hours to reduce wait time, I wouldn't mind...as long as it was temporary. Get things past the chaos level of when each ride first opens (however long they determine that to be) and then return that land to the same rules governing fast passes everywhere else. (But go ahead and keep the before/after hour events and VIP tours.) But I don't think it should result in customers who opt out of it not getting on the rides at all.

But for the basic fast pass system as it exists in the parks now....I like it as it is. It's not perfect, but it's not bad. We're not the type to die to be on a certain ride, so it's great for us. But I understand it may not be great for everyone.And we are the type to pay for an after event or two, so that increases our chances of hitting the rides that may be tough to get to during the day. But I like the assigned times and I like the idea that WDW still offers something pretty cool for free. It gives me the warm fuzzies, so to speak. :)

I feel the same way. I don't begrudge anyone who has bought a special party or anything else that is offered. Those event may impact me in a slight way, but I can work around them. The space a dessert party may take up used to be free for me to use, but I can find another spot. The EMM hours may decrease EMH, but I dont use them anyway, and if I did I could make that work too. CLFP really don't make that much difference in the big scheme of FP availability and folks who can buy a VIP tour get my kudos! I wish I could once in my life. Bottom line is that if I plan well right now I can manage most of what I want to do in WDW using the FP system liek everyone else.

If that system goes to aid FP, I will probably walk. Right now my family generally travels as a crew of over 7. One paid event we will manage. A few extra meals we can pay for. Once I need to factor in paid FP for all of us, I think we will just travel elsewhere. WE go to Aruba for less than WDW right now and no one is left out of anything we do.

Frankly, I look at how Disney has managed the US parks and am appalled. I have no idea what they did with the money they generated over the past decades, but their management has been woefully inadequate, allowing the attractions and pavilions to become either obsolelete or in dire need of upgrades, leaving the parks unable to handle the number of people who purchase tickets in good faith, believing they will be able to go on attractions they have in mind. I truly hope they do not do as our electric company has done in the past: make the end user pay for their mismanagement and bad jusdgement. But I think that will be the case. Too many people for the park to handle? No problem. WE will just implement a surcharge.

So when it get to the point that everyone is paying for fast passes, we'll be in the same situation we are in now, but it will cost more.

Then people will be saying they will pay EVEN MORE to skip the lines.

It is just a cycle until they start selling ride tickets for individual rides again (on top of park admission).

Unless they drastically limit the number of fastpasses sold. And then you will have a small group who don't have to wait as long and the rest will be waiting even longer. Because at the end of the day, fastpasses alone cannot keep up with the crowd levels right now. I realize all of the reasons why a 5th gate is unrealistic right now, but they really could use it. They opened MK in 71, EPCOT in 82, HS in 89, and AK in 98. That's approx. 1 park per decade. So we're a decade overdue for a new park. But during that time they'll been adding more and more and more resorts and more rooms to existing resorts. The balance is out of whack right now. They are bringing in tons of people and aren't adding enough places for them to go. Adding new lands here and there doesn't do the trick. Because part of the new lands (New Fantasyland, Pandora, Toy Story Land, SWGE) were built in areas where there was existing attractions We may have gained some additional park space, but not enough to spread out the crowds filling all of those resorts. And we've got more resorts nearly done and more just starting to be built. I don't know where they expect all of those people to go. And I don't know how long they can expect to keep filling parks (and those rooms) if people start to expect each ride to have multiple hour wait times, which is where we're headed if the crowds keep growing. How long will people want to pay ticket prices to only manage to get on a handful of rides per day?

The fast passes were supposed to disperse crowds because they gave out times to return. But there's a limit to how long that will work as there are limited hours in a park day. Right now, the system still works for a lot of people. I hope whatever they do, they keep crowd control in mind, because that's what they were supposed to be all about in the first place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter