Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes no sense for Disney to offer more than the 3 free and 3 paid FP+ otherwise that would devalue the VIP tour which they likely make a higher margin.

I would bet a mickey bar that it will roll out like this...
No more free 4th+ FP+ for anyone (pitched as less of a headache for families who have to spend their day looking at their cell phones for FP+ and refreshing rather than enjoying their magical day)
$60pppd for 3 paid FP+ for anyone staying 3+ nights in a Deluxe
$20pppd for 1 paid FP+ for anyone staying 3+ nights in a Moderate

If WDW was smart as this rolled out they also reduce every ride/attractions FP+ distribution by 10%-15% to help cut down the wait time in the standby line (because there are less FP+ people in line per hr) and pitch that they are reducing the standby wait for everyone with the new system.

Completely agreed. As things currently stand, I don't see how Disney could implement something like Universal's Express Pass.

I am super interested to see how Disney decides to roll out paid FP and what the pricing looks like. It will be painful but also fascinating.
I don't know why so many think that Disney couldn't implement the same thing as the express pass at Universal. They absolutely could. They could just have the unlimited express pass/fastpass for the Deluxe Resorts and the same structure they have now for the moderate & value resorts.

Furthermore they could sell unlimited fastpass (at a high price and limited number) and 1 time use fastpass (1 time/per ride or set of rides). It all just comes down to the pricing and limited number available. There are so many options that they could sell.

Now do I want Disney to implement this? Part of me yes and part of me no. I see the pros and the cons.

I don't know why so many think that Disney couldn't implement the same thing as the express pass at Universal. They absolutely could. They could just have the unlimited express pass/fastpass for the Deluxe Resorts and the same structure they have now for the moderate & value resorts.

Furthermore they could sell unlimited fastpass (at a high price and limited number) and 1 time use fastpass (1 time/per ride or set of rides). It all just comes down to the pricing and limited number available. There are so many options that they could sell.

Now do I want Disney to implement this? Part of me yes and part of me no. I see the pros and the cons.

I don’t think Disney has capacity to allow for no strings attached unlimited FP for a large number of guests, especially in conjunction with the regular system still existing for another large number of guests. The FP lines at attractions like 7DMT, FoP, and SDD (in addition to the new headliners that aren’t open or don’t use FP yet) would be an absolute cluster, and the stand by lines? Yikes.

I also think for better or worse Disney has dug their heels in with planning in detail, and it doesn’t seem to fit with their desire to control crowds and staff the parks to allow people to just do whatever they want to do when they want to do it. Disney Genie seems to fit this, a whole new system to create itineraries and plans. It also would surprise me to see Disney removing offsite guests from the equation (without a huge additional expense for them), as I think those guests “committing” to Disney before arrival is huge.

I can see paid coming. I think we might end up with a system where free FP are slim pickins and limited to uber planners, and the good stuff is mostly pay to play. I can’t see a universal style system happening. If it does come, I think the price tag will be extremely high and there’s no way they give it to every deluxe guest. Maybe I’ll be eating my words, who knows.

Do we know anything more about the Genie than what was released at D23?

I don’t think Disney has capacity to allow for no strings attached unlimited FP for a large number of guests, especially in conjunction with the regular system still existing for another large number of guests. The FP lines at attractions like 7DMT, FoP, and SDD (in addition to the new headliners that aren’t open or don’t use FP yet) would be an absolute cluster, and the stand by lines? Yikes.

I also think for better or worse Disney has dug their heels in with planning in detail, and it doesn’t seem to fit with their desire to control crowds and staff the parks to allow people to just do whatever they want to do when they want to do it. Disney Genie seems to fit this, a whole new system to create itineraries and plans. It also would surprise me to see Disney removing offsite guests from the equation (without a huge additional expense for them), as I think those guests “committing” to Disney before arrival is huge.

I can see paid coming. I think we might end up with a system where free FP are slim pickins and limited to uber planners, and the good stuff is mostly pay to play. I can’t see a universal style system happening. If it does come, I think the price tag will be extremely high and there’s no way they give it to every deluxe guest. Maybe I’ll be eating my words, who knows.
I agree that it is highly unlikely that Disney will offer the unlimited express pass equivalent to anyone however I do think it is doable and that is what I was arguing. It certainly would affect the lines (maybe not to the degree you think as the guests would be spread across 4 parks and unlikely to swamp the same rides at the same time) and Disney would have to take some of the current inventory of fastpasses out of the system.

Disney has just gone a completely different direction from Universal and that is okay but I disagree with people saying they couldn't implement it. They could, they just choose not to.

I agree that it is highly unlikely that Disney will offer the unlimited express pass equivalent to anyone however I do think it is doable and that is what I was arguing. It certainly would affect the lines (maybe not to the degree you think as the guests would be spread across 4 parks and unlikely to swamp the same rides at the same time) and Disney would have to take some of the current inventory of fastpasses out of the system.

Disney has just gone a completely different direction from Universal and that is okay but I disagree with people saying they couldn't implement it. They could, they just choose not to.

I wish they would do it Universal’s way. After experiencing their express pass system that’s included in the deluxe hotels my family has switched to them for our family vacations. We went in 2014 for the first time and haven’t looked back. I still go to Disney with my mom but haven’t gone with DH or the three kids since 2012.

Yes, if Disney really wanted to they could absolutely implement an Express pass similar to Universal but they would have to completely eliminate their current fastpass system. There is no way they could keep their current system and add even more people to the fastpass lines, it would congest the standby lines to the point of breaking. Not to mention the cost associated with this would be extremely expensive. I have bought express pass at universal and it was more than my actual ticket and they only sell a limited number a day to ensure the express line doesn't become to long. If Disney wanted to do the same thing they would have to make it so expensive that only so many could afford it and then also put a daily cap on em. So no, Disney will not ever go that route, imo.

Yes, if Disney really wanted to they could absolutely implement an Express pass similar to Universal but they would have to completely eliminate their current fastpass system. There is no way they could keep their current system and add even more people to the fastpass lines, it would congest the standby lines to the point of breaking. Not to mention the cost associated with this would be extremely expensive. I have bought express pass at universal and it was more than my actual ticket and they only sell a limited number a day to ensure the express line doesn't become to long. If Disney wanted to do the same thing they would have to make it so expensive that only so many could afford it and then also put a daily cap on em. So no, Disney will not ever go that route, imo.
I disagree with the bolded part. They could certainly keep the same system in place but just reduce the total number of "free" FP they offer per hour. For example, if the current throughput is 1000 FP per hour, they could allot 750 into the "free" pool and 250 into the "paid" pool.

I would go along with with one or more paid fastpass options but whatever it/they consisted of, the price was set so that they did not become sold out on most days.

Boston (and perhaps some other cities) has been experimenting with time of day parking meter rates, automatically set using their new electronic meters, among other things set so that there would usually to be some vacancies any time of the day.

Disney has already had lots of experiences with systems where the product became "sold out" almost as soon as it was offered, sometimes half a year in advance.

Last edited:
I disagree with the bolded part. They could certainly keep the same system in place but just reduce the total number of "free" FP they offer per hour. For example, if the current throughput is 1000 FP per hour, they could allot 750 into the "free" pool and 250 into the "paid" pool.
I agree with your assessment. The current system would have to be modified but not eliminated.

I will never pay for FP. I didn’t use paper FP because of all the extra backtracking, so if it goes to paid FP I will go back to standby. I won’t be nickel and dimed.

Fortunately I do not like thrill rides, so that helps.

Do you visit Disney? I've got bad news for you. You're being nickel and dimed. 😉

Last edited:
Do you visit Disney? I've got bad news for you. You're being nickel dimed. 😉

:thumbsup2 I hear you on that! But I try to minimize it where I can. I got around the resort parking fee by having a friend drop me off and pick me up since they actually drive through WDW on their work commute. I take my own sodas and bottled water, and snacks and breakfast stuff, to reduce costs related to food and beverage, and I won’t ever pay rack for a room or tickets. I don’t mind searching for discounts. But when it comes to paying for FP, that’s a line I won’t cross. Resort fees are another. The day they start charging those, I won’t be staying on property anymore. I go out of my way to patronize hotels that don’t charge resort fees. It’s not that I can’t pay. It’s the principle of the thing.

One reason I think they keep allowing "offsite" hotels the FP benefit is to make it harder to get them in the future, therefore the need to buy them. Am I wrong on this or not?

One reason I think they keep allowing "offsite" hotels the FP benefit is to make it harder to get them in the future, therefore the need to buy them. Am I wrong on this or not?
I assume Disney is doing it because the hotels are paying Disney to allow their guest the 60 day window. I saw that the deal with the hotels has been extended today through all of 2020.

I assume Disney is doing it because the hotels are paying Disney to allow their guest the 60 day window. I saw that the deal with the hotels has been extended today through all of 2020.
I guess it could be just an offer Disney couldn't refuse then?

I understand your concept and maybe it would work but I don't think it's that simple. Disney might own the parks and the fp system but they still have to follow certain guide lines and specific laws. I don't know this for sure but I don't think Disney can offer limited free fp and then sell another limited fp for the same ride. For example: 750 free fp for test track and then 250 for sale for test track. Its creates an unfair situation, what some people get for free others have to pay for. Now they could probably remove say the top 5 rides completely from the free pool and offer a limited amount of pay per fp but then they risk people stop coming cause it's not worth the money if you have to buy tickets and then buy fp and still risk not getting any of the top rides. Only way I see this working is to either keep it all free like it is, change it completely and make it all pay per fp or do like universal.

If I'm paying for a fastpass I better be able to get the ride I want. If I'm paying for a ride there better be availability at reasonable times, too. Also, if I have a group of 10 all paying for a fastpass I better be able to get the same ride at the same time if I want it that way.

If this gets too ridiculous we will just spend more time at Universal. I want to go to Disney World for the 50th but I certainly don't have to spend all my time there.

I agree. It is a way to increase demand for FPs by reducing supply. Letting more and more guests have access to 60-day fast passes. I feel that with these hotels and the addition of the new hotels (Gran Destino, Riveria and the new one next to Fort Wilderness).

They already have issues of people getting certain FPs at their 60-day mark .. add in more guests that can make those reservations and unless you have a long stay, you may be stuck with getting a 3:00 PM FP to Dumbo even when logging in at the first possible moment to make your FP.

Doesn't hurt that these hotels probably pay Disney a huge premium to offer that perk.

I would be fine with Disney ditching free FP+ for the Max Pass system .. it is paid (so less people will be using it), it isn't usable for EVERY ride (or shows), and doesn't require 60-day planning.
Or better yet .. ditch the FP system and do like Universal .. give a "Max Pass" like perk to all resort guests for "free" (included as a perk in the ever increasing resort prices)>

I am okay with paying a premium to make my trip easier.

I think the relatively "short" wait times for MFSR, compared to the crazy wait times SDMT and FoP had in its first few years, shows just how much FP inflates the line. If MFSR had FP+ offered, you'd need a 6-7+ day resort stay to snag a FP for it and wait times would probably be 2-3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!