Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney may already be making more money from letting other hotels in on the 60 booking deal than they would make fro selling FPs.

I'm sorry. People who pay that kind of money (A) are nuts and (B) have no right to complain about the price of things at Disney. You simply don't have to spend that kind of money on a Disney vacation, period.
I don’t get it. Why do you care what other people choose to spend? Different folks value different things. And to some an extra few thousand bucks is just not a big deal. I wouldn’t begrudge folks trying to either travel on pennies or those who decide to splurge. That’s why these different options exist.

I'm sorry. People who pay that kind of money (A) are nuts and (B) have no right to complain about the price of things at Disney. You simply don't have to spend that kind of money on a Disney vacation, period.
Let’s not judge what other people choose to spend their money on. I have never stayed club level at Disney because the value isn’t there for me because we only travel the 2 of us. We do over pay to stay at deluxe resorts and that is our choice.
People different priorities when vacationing. Some value having nice accommodations vs buying Expensive souvenirs like lightsaber or droids. Neither is right or wrong.

I don’t get it. Why do you care what other people choose to spend? Different folks value different things. And to some an extra few thousand bucks is just not a big deal. I wouldn’t begrudge folks trying to either travel on pennies or those who decide to splurge. That’s why these different options exist.

I personally don't care. Personally, I wish I could afford to spend that kind of money on any vacation. What I do care - care is the wrong word, tired would be a better word - tired of hearing people complain about how expensive things are at Disney, then they spend that kind of money when they don't have to. "Disney's so expensive! Oh, BTW, I'm going to spend $7000 when I only have to spend $1300. But Disney's so expensive!" "They're going to charge for FPs!" Then don't buy 'em. "The dessert parties are outrageous!" Then don't go. Talk to Disney with your pocketbook. Like I said earlier, there's a base cost of what a Disney vacation is going to cost. After that, it's as expensive as you want to make it. I know I'm the outlier here. And I'm gonna get crucified. So be it.

Let’s not judge what other people choose to spend their money on. I have never stayed club level at Disney because the value isn’t there for me because we only travel the 2 of us. We do over pay to stay at deluxe resorts and that is our choice.
People different priorities when vacationing. Some value having nice accommodations vs buying Expensive souvenirs like lightsaber or droids. Neither is right or wrong.

And then it's those same people who complain about how expensive Disney is. Next time someone starts to complain about how expensive Disney is, I hope they look at their plans and then look at the money they didn't have to spend. They made the choice, Disney didn't force them to do it. I've made my point. Like I said, I know I'm the outlier here. Let the comments begin about how wrong I am for wanting to talk to Disney with my wallet because I know it's coming.

Last edited:
And then it's those same people who complain about how expensive Disney is.

I’m pretty sure calling other posters names isn’t appropriate on the Dis. And the poster you quoted wasn’t complaining about how much his trip cost anyway. Rather, he was agreeing with someone else about what a typical Disney vacation costs.

It really isn’t anybody’s business what someone else pays for their vacation or what they complain about.

Just your room is $6700?
$6764.09 to be exact but that's at The Yacht Club, Club Level Christmas week. That's with our AP discount but the discount is the 20th thru the 24th. The 25-27th are rack rate as they don't offer any discounts for those nights. Our first night is on the 19th at PORFQ for a night at Disney Springs and just a sleep since we arrive late then we move to YC on the 20th. We take advantage of the pool and amenities so it's well worth it for us. The way I see it, it's actually not as bad as people think because we take advantage of breakfast in the lounge daily as well as snacks at night and adult beverages. We also take drinks to our room from the lounge and at $4 a soft drink or water, the savings add up fast.

That's why I stay at Pop. We paid $1130 for eight nights in September.
We spent a total of $3200ish for 2 nights at PORFQ and then 6 nights at Beach Club, Club Level this month (4th-12th). The reason we did the first 2 nights at POR was there was no discount for a Friday or Saturday night at BC. It was over $900 per night. I do take advantage of the discounts and save where I can but Christmas week is always more expensive. Your same stay in september will be more than double the week of Christmas.

Last edited:

I will agree with A. I am nuts … sometimes. I disagree with B. I'm not complaining about the prices. I have said in the past that they are pricing me out for renewing our AP's but we will still go to Disney once they expire in September, just less often. I also agree you don't have to spend that kind of money on a Disney vacation but I choose to spend that kind of money. For me it's a small price to pay to be convenient to the parks, good dining options, really good pool, valet parking and the lounge. I also purchased the extra FP+ for 5 of our days since it's crazy crowded at Christmas and every stay we use Minnie Vans everywhere with the exception of Disney Springs from Port Orleans and HS from YC/BC as we enjoy the boat ride. Though we spend more on our resort we don't do the dessert parties, firework parties or parade viewing dinners. We have done MNSSHP but not going to do MVMCP so it's all about where we spend our money vs. how much of it we spend.

Last edited:
We spent a total of $3200ish for 2 nights at PORFQ and then 6 nights at Beach Club, Club Level this month (4th-12th). The reason we did the first 2 nights at POR was there was no discount for a Friday or Saturday night at BC. It was over $900 per night. I do take advantage of the discounts and save where I can but Christmas week is always more expensive. Your same stay in september will be more than double the week of Christmas.

Oh I could never go Christmas week, the crowds would drive me absolutely insane. Just being in MK last year on a Saturday 10 days before Christmas was almost unbearable for me because of the crowds.

Yes, exactly. Part of the value of a Disney ticket is the fastpass, this is part of why there so much more expensive then other parks. This is built into Disney ticket as it makes things equal for all that purchase. U can buy a UO ticket buy 2 day base get 2 day free, that's a 4 day base ticket for $235 which is half the cost of Disney but if you add in the Express pass, depending on the date it could cost $70 - $140 a day. Disney has already considered the cost of having an Express line and decided to make it part of all their tickets across the board and so the cost is already built into their tickets, only difference is nobody has the option to opt out. So for Disney to just up and add pay per fp would devalue their tickets even further and I can't see them doing this. At least without changing their entire system and making fastpass a separate system and remove the fp from their tickets and then dropping the price of their tickets with no fp options and then selling fp separate, similar to UO. Disney is not currently giving away free fp, that cost is part of the ticket and one reason their tickets are as high as they are.
You can't see them monetizing something that is free right now? I definitely can. And am prepared for it. Perhaps you'll only get two free instead of free. Or you'll get three lower tiers and not headliners. But all signs point to it's coming. That's what they do - they monetize things that were free prior (looking at you after hours).

Deluxe resorts? Two instead of three? Everybody pays? A perk here and there? Attended a Disney Vacation Club seminar?

(after reading a few replies in other threads and trip reports)

I got a fiendish idea. In addition to any of the preceding, if any, if a guest goes to the Skyliner station from Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Riviera, or Art of Animation and finds it not running then he gets an extra free anytime fastpass. Limit one every three hours.

Definitely will depend on the details but as someone who generally stays off site, if this gives me greater access to hard to get FPs there is potential for this being a positive for my family

Starting to feel like Disney will become more of a “go for fewer days, get more done via paying for FPs and hard ticket events during those days but same overall cost (but more per day)” type trips

I think you nailed it, this makes the most sense. You spend the same amount of money in 4 days than u do in 8 but ur able to do more and actually get a better experience by being able to purchase top tier attractions in the 4 days rather than a lengthy stay. This idea seems like it would also help with the large crowds and longer wait times as well. Very good point.

I think you nailed it, this makes the most sense. You spend the same amount of money in 4 days than u do in 8 but ur able to do more and actually get a better experience by being able to purchase top tier attractions in the 4 days rather than a lengthy stay. This idea seems like it would also help with the large crowds and longer wait times as well. Very good point.

and in theory I am ok with this ... but the key for me is if you are going to charge for FP I better be able to get on the in demand rides. As long as I can get everything done in those 4 days (vs the 8) and maybe even with less stress/lower crowds, I am all for that ...... but if you start charging and then it stays with FPs being gone at 60+ days so now I am paying but still not getting some, I will not be a happy camper. When you start explicitly charging for something you raise the expectations for it

and in theory I am ok with this ... but the key for me is if you are going to charge for FP I better be able to get on the in demand rides. As long as I can get everything done in those 4 days (vs the 8) and maybe even with less stress/lower crowds, I am all for that ...... but if you start charging and then it stays with FPs being gone at 60+ days so now I am paying but still not getting some, I will not be a happy camper. When you start explicitly charging for something you raise the expectations for it
I imagine if you're paying, you would be guaranteed. So you'd book at 75 days or something. And only for actual on property guests. That's earlier than 60 days, but still not the 90 that CL guests get. I did just book the CL FP's for our trip in December, and may I add that it was such a stress-free experience and I am going on all the rides we want.

You can't see them monetizing something that is free right now? I definitely can. And am prepared for it. Perhaps you'll only get two free instead of free. Or you'll get three lower tiers and not headliners. But all signs point to it's coming. That's what they do - they monetize things that were free prior (looking at you after hours).

Resort parking too.

Not what I was saying, I absolutely see them monetizing on anything they can. What I was suggesting is that the so called "free fp" are not really free, that its already part of the cost of the ticket. Disney is extremely clever when it comes to getting our money and making us feel good about giving it to them. When Disney decided to roll out the fp, instead of charging a separate fee they just increased the price of the tickets and then tell everyone they get 3 free fastpass and everyone thinks their greatest thing since sliced bread and dont blink an eye about raising prices but in reality those "free fastpass" are not actually free. Yea, there are a lot of people, including myself that don't always get a FOP or Mine Train fp and having the option to pay a fee and get them would be nice but I just dont think we'll see this anytime soon, not saying it wont ever happen, just not soon. I will say this, when I do my intial fp, I usually can't get a FOP or Mine Train but I've always been able to keep checking day after day and eventually they would pop up and become available and I was able to secure them. Now, here lately they haven't been available at all and I haven't been able to get them so it wouldn't surprise me if their now limiting them in order to create a high demand for top fp for the sole purpose of selling them.

What would life be like if "free" fastpasses remained bookable in advance in the same fashion as they are now but "fastpass drops" were replaced by paid individual fastpasses?

One account of fastpass allocation mentioned some fastpass capacity of every ride was never bookable or distributed so "the rest of the rides" could handle unexpected influxes of additional fastpass guests if a ride went down. Fastpasses for the down ride convert automatically into "any ride" fastpasses (sometimes a headliner ride is not reselectable).

If no ride went down in a given time, the set aside fastpass capability was released as a fastpass drop which showed up as availability where none was a moment ago.

It would be possible for paid fastpasses to show "out of stock" every so often but "in stock" again a few hours later.

What would life be like if "free" fastpasses remained bookable in advance in the same fashion as they are now but "fastpass drops" were replaced by paid individual fastpasses?

One account of fastpass allocation mentioned some fastpass capacity of every ride was never bookable or distributed so "the rest of the rides" could handle unexpected influxes of additional fastpass guests if a ride went down. Fastpasses for the down ride convert automatically into "any ride" fastpasses (sometimes a headliner ride is not reselectable).

If no ride went down in a given time, the set aside fastpass capability was released as a fastpass drop which showed up as availability where none was a moment ago.

It would be possible for paid fastpasses to show "out of stock" every so often but "in stock" again a few hours later.

Are drops actually a confirmed thing?

I feel like if I’m going to pay for FP, it’s going to be because I want none of the work that comes with the current FP system. Refreshing just to pay for it? No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!