Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL!! Yes...I may or may not currently have a spreadsheet in which I ask my kids to rank their desire to meet each character on a scale of 1-3 in order to sort by must-do-edness by park. Adding a tab for rides would not be a stretch … if I had such a spreadsheet … hypothetically … asking for a friend.

Of course this is all hypotheticals ;)

One of the hardest lessons for me as an adult, was just because I could do something does not mean that I SHOULD do that thing. One example is taking the available balance on my credit cards today to book a trip to the World for May. In that context, would charging for Fast Pass be the final straw that highlights the low cost of regional parks, such as Storyland in NH? Where I can spend about ~$100 today for four days admission?

What are the other posters to this board thinking about when are all the additional fees, parking and resort fees for example, too much? Does anyone else believe that a paid FP option would finally kill the golden goose? I don't mean that one fee specifically, but the attitude of those that don't buy it waiting in the standby line as others skip past, knowing that these people paid the mouse extra for the priveliege?

If FP were $20 per ride per person (which I think is way too cheap) my family would likely buy 0. There is no ride in Disney worth $100 for my family of 5 to wait less for. LESS. It’s not even a front of the line pass. I don’t think I would pay $100 per ride even if it was instant access. I wouldn’t pay $100 for ROTR, we would just resign ourselves to never riding it.

Disney charges approximately $17 per FP when you are already spending money on a club level stay and committing to 3 per person per however many days is the minimum. 3? A la carte would have to be much, much higher. Otherwise all they’re really doing is charging a privilege to grab the very popular FP that are still going to sell out early anyways.

I think this move is going to benefit so few of us I don’t understand why more people aren’t against it when this comes up. It either is priced so high it isn’t desirable for a large majority, or more reasonably that you still need to grab them early except now you’re directly paying.

I would rather they keep doing what they’ve been doing for years. Hide the cost in the tickets and keep the increases coming. 🤷🏻‍♀️ As soon as they start making us consider how much each attraction is actually worth we’re likely out.

Why would Disney add on a $15 resort fee and invite all kinds moaning from their customers when they can raise the price of the room the same amount and get less blowback? Their rack rates went up a tremendous amount compared to last year and it didn’t get anywhere need the blowback the parking fees still gets to this day.
The reason is because they can then advertised the rates lower than what they really will be. Just like the parking fees, resort fees will follow.

This genie app coming they might not charge you per fastpass but per itinerary. Isn't genie going to be like tour plans. What if you could have a plan with set fastpass for the day. How much would you pay
Edit example. You go on to genie select your 3 main fastpass rides and get mine train, space mountain, haunted mansion. Then select 2 more lower tier rides, small world, pirates, it then let's you select 2 meet and greats, mickey, a princess. You then book a show, laugh floor. You then select you lunch and dinner locations. Genie then puts a plan together giving you a fastpass time and restaurant booking for all of the aboveand you just follow that for day. How much would you pay per person
$0.00. Because I can do all that myself.

Disney Genie to me:
i-know-more-than-you-gif-1.gif

My Response:
WeepyThatGuillemot-size_restricted.gif

Maybe they will go with a paid FP+ option like they have at Shanghai and Paris?

Maybe they will go with a paid FP+ option like they have at Shanghai and Paris?

How does it work there? Is it exclusively paid FP or is there also a free "pool"?

A quick search shows Exclusively paid FP
3 tiers
A $55 you can choose either family or thrill and you get 1 time access
B $108 everything is included with 1 time access
C $182 everything included with unlimited access

Prices are per person per day
At Paris there are free pools just like Disneyland itself (machine based by inserting a ticket). Then VIP Hotel which is basically an Unlimited FP For staying in a specific level of room, Hotel which is just a single use FP get some for staying on site, then finally ones that function exactly like ExpressPass at Universal that anyone can buy and only so many a day sold. Again the Paris resort is just so different than WDW in terms of hotel guest count and the type of visitor but I don’t really think this setup would work at Disney world, too many onsite guests and too many once in a lifetime trips.

https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-us/guest-services/fast-pass/
At Shanghai they have free FastPass too within their app.

https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/guest-services/fastpass/
The paid FP at Shanghai is called premier access and sold on a per ride basis.

https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/guest-services/disney-premier-access/

Last edited:
We’re DVC members and go to Disneyworld once or twice annually. The opportunity came up to visit Disneyland Paris this year.

Since our vacation time in Europe is limited (we live in the US), it was hard to justify giving up more than one day of our Paris vacation to Disney. So I bought the unlimited Fastpass option for one day. It was about $500 extra for our family of 3, which I think is very high. However, it’ll probably allow us to do both parks in 1.5 days instead of 3 days. Since I value 1.5 days of a rare European vacation more than the Fastpass cost, I didn’t hesitate to pay it.

The value of a Fastpass is all about how much you believe your time is worth. In Europe, after dropping thousands in airfare, my time is too valuable to wait in line for 1 hr for Ratatouille or their version of Space Mountain. If I was in Disneyworld, there’s no way I’m paying that. If I miss a ride, I know I’ll be back and I have more days on my vacation. What I miss in France at the Louvre or Catacombs I may never have the chance to see again.

No matter what Disney charges for fastpasses, there will always be people willing to pay based on how valuable they believe their time is. It’s the same logic for the VIP tours. Plus, if I could get all the same experiences, but save two hotel nights by shortening my trip, that could make the math work out as well.

We’re DVC members and go to Disneyworld once or twice annually. The opportunity came up to visit Disneyland Paris this year.

Since our vacation time in Europe is limited (we live in the US), it was hard to justify giving up more than one day of our Paris vacation to Disney. So I bought the unlimited Fastpass option for one day. It was about $500 extra for our family of 3, which I think is very high. However, it’ll probably allow us to do both parks in 1.5 days instead of 3 days. Since I value 1.5 days of a rare European vacation more than the Fastpass cost, I didn’t hesitate to pay it.

The value of a Fastpass is all about how much you believe your time is worth. In Europe, after dropping thousands in airfare, my time is too valuable to wait in line for 1 hr for Ratatouille or their version of Space Mountain. If I was in Disneyworld, there’s no way I’m paying that. If I miss a ride, I know I’ll be back and I have more days on my vacation. What I miss in France at the Louvre or Catacombs I may never have the chance to see again.

No matter what Disney charges for fastpasses, there will always be people willing to pay based on how valuable they believe their time is. It’s the same logic for the VIP tours. Plus, if I could get all the same experiences, but save two hotel nights by shortening my trip, that could make the math work out as well.

The VIP tours are why I think if they ever offered unlimited FP that price is way way way higher than anybody ever mentions in these speculation threads. People talk about wishing WDW would adopt what Universal has, but they do have a human version of that, what I think people really mean is they want it included in their hotel stays lol.

That DLP price for an unlimited and unscheduled FP would be a bargain at WDW, IMO at least. It’s so far out of line with what they value the VIP tours at. They start at $425 an hour (and have a minimum to be booked). So that’s what Disney thinks unlimited access to their attractions is valued at 🙃. Sure there is more that comes with a VIP tour, but the attractions access is what the core of it really is. I really can’t see Disney being able to pull off unlimited FP at WDW without it being very cost prohibitive, unless they are planning on completely changing WDW as we know it.

How is it free? Don't you need to purchase a ticket/pass to enter the park that includes access to most/all of the attractions?

What if the entry ticket was substantially less, but had no attractions included. Then you build your menu to suite what attractions you want to attend. For me, it might cost less and I can now target the attraction(s) that appeal to me and not pay for the ones that don't.

I would be all for this if the price was right. I also think that this format would work really well with the new Disney Genie app.

One of the hardest lessons for me as an adult, was just because I could do something does not mean that I SHOULD do that thing. One example is taking the available balance on my credit cards today to book a trip to the World for May. In that context, would charging for Fast Pass be the final straw that highlights the low cost of regional parks, such as Storyland in NH? Where I can spend about ~$100 today for four days admission?

What are the other posters to this board thinking about when are all the additional fees, parking and resort fees for example, too much? Does anyone else believe that a paid FP option would finally kill the golden goose? I don't mean that one fee specifically, but the attitude of those that don't buy it waiting in the standby line as others skip past, knowing that these people paid the mouse extra for the priveliege?

Just a shout out to another Storyland fan :) I love the parks in NH. As far as ride mechanics, they have many of the same/similar rides as Disney, but the cost is a mere fraction - you can get a season pass for less than the cost of a one day ticket to DW. The lines, compared to Disney, are non-existent. Many times my kids can ride multiple times in a row with little to no wait. The parks are also VERY clean. Santa's Village is also a good value - now it's showing it's age a bit, but I also know they're in the middle of updating the park, and when you consider you get access to both the theme park and the water park (which is quite nice), it's a great value.

As far as when is it too much - my husband would say 5 years ago. He doesn't find Disney worth the money. While he fully agrees that they are in a class of their own with regards to the shows, parades, characters etc... he also fully considers them over priced, especially when compared to the regional parks. I am bordering on the same thoughts - now, I think income/budget influences perceived value, and we're a one-income household with two special needs kids - in other words, the budget is small, a mere fraction of what many people here have to play with. So, thinking logically, I too, am really in the camp of the cost is too much to justify, and if we have to start paying for the FP+... then yes, it probably will mean we don't go back. However, if we had more disposable income, then honestly, I probably wouldn't be as bothered by the price, and I would gladly pay for the FP+.

Though therein also lies part of the "moral dilemma" (if you can call it that) - the fact that Disney is fast becoming a playground for the wealthy. It's not attainable for the average Joe like it used to be. Way back when, having free admission (or a very small admission fee) then paying for rides, made the park pretty much affordable to almost everyone. Sure, some people would be able to afford more rides than others, but they all waited in the same line. They all watched the parade and fireworks from the same place. Everyone had the same access opportunities. Now, you have essentially a class system: the "uppers" get to pay for better viewing, or less crowds (before/after events), earlier booking of FP+, private front of the line access, and now possibly better access to FP+ in general... while the "commoners" have to just take the leftovers. And I think that is what is leaving such a bad taste in so many people's mouths. It's also what makes this next move a bit risky for them.

Last edited:
Just a shout out to another Storyland fan :) I love the parks in NH. As far as ride mechanics, they have many of the same/similar rides as Disney, but the cost is a mere fraction - you can get a season pass for less than the cost of a one day ticket to DW. The lines, compared to Disney, are non-existent. Many times my kids can ride multiple times in a row with little to no wait. The parks are also VERY clean. Santa's Village is also a good value - now it's showing it's age a bit, but I also know they're in the middle of updating the park, and when you consider you get access to both the theme park and the water park (which is quite nice), it's a great value.

As far as when is it too much - my husband would say 5 years ago. He doesn't find Disney worth the money. While he fully agrees that they are in a class of their own with regards to the shows, parades, characters etc... he also fully considers them over priced, especially when compared to the regional parks. I am bordering on the same thoughts - now, I think income/budget influences perceived value, and we're a one-income household with two special needs kids - in other words, the budget is small, a mere fraction of what many people here have to play with. So, thinking logically, I too, am really in the camp of the cost is too much to justify, and if we have to start paying for the FP+... then yes, it probably will mean we don't go back. However, if we had more disposable income, then honestly, I probably wouldn't be as bothered by the price, and I would gladly pay for the FP+.

Though therein also lies part of the "moral dilemma" (if you can call it that) - the fact that Disney is fast becoming a playground for the wealthy. It's not attainable for the average Joe like it used to be. Way back when, having free admission (or a very small admission fee) then paying for rides, made the park pretty much affordable to almost everyone. Sure, some people would be able to afford more rides than others, but they all waited in the same line. They all watched the parade and fireworks from the same place. Everyone had the same access opportunities. Now, you have essentially a class system: the "uppers" get to pay for better viewing, or less crowds (before/after events), earlier booking of FP+, private front of the line access, and now possibly better access to FP+ in general... while the "commoners" have to just take the leftovers. And I think that is what is leaving such a bad taste in so many people's mouths. It's also what makes this next move a bit risky for them.
Very good points here. My wife and I had not been to WDW for years after it was our go-to vacation spot for many years going back to Feb. 1972. In the interim, we did many other types of vacations, like private resorts in both the US and Caribbean, working vacations (with non-profits), US road trips, and cruises. This past September, we drove down to join my daughter for our granddaughter's first trip to WDW. Boy, were we disappointed! Just as you mention, the insanity of having to decide so far in advance which attractions and restaurants we wanted to do when was the first straw. The second was the fact that we paid almost $300/night for a tiny room at a moderate resort, only to have them shut off our power for 2.5 hours in the middle of the night (NO AC!!) with only a few hours notice (per their letter left on our bed, "our planned maintenance"). :mad: And the last straw was having to pay an additional $60 each for the park hopper option on each one-day ticket so we could do both MK and EPCOT.
Never again for us. If we are going to drop that much money on a vacation, we can book a suite on the next NCL/RCCL cruise, thank you very much.

The resort fees will eventually be added. When, who knows, but it is just a matter of time.
I agree and this would another selling point DVD will use to sell the timeshares since you are already paying for this in your maintenance fees

Last edited:
Very good points here. My wife and I had not been to WDW for years after it was our go-to vacation spot for many years going back to Feb. 1972. In the interim, we did many other types of vacations, like private resorts in both the US and Caribbean, working vacations (with non-profits), US road trips, and cruises. This past September, we drove down to join my daughter for our granddaughter's first trip to WDW. Boy, were we disappointed! Just as you mention, the insanity of having to decide so far in advance which attractions and restaurants we wanted to do when was the first straw. The second was the fact that we paid almost $300/night for a tiny room at a moderate resort, only to have them shut off our power for 2.5 hours in the middle of the night (NO AC!!) with only a few hours notice (per their letter left on our bed, "our planned maintenance"). :mad: And the last straw was having to pay an additional $60 each for the park hopper option on each one-day ticket so we could do both MK and EPCOT.
Never again for us. If we are going to drop that much money on a vacation, we can book a suite on the next NCL/RCCL cruise, thank you very much.

For reasons I won't get into (it's a long story), my husband *is* willing to take us back one more time, next year. I've been pricing it to see if it's even remotely doable, and honestly, it's insane. Now, granted, we're from Canada, so just getting there alone costs quite a chunk and the exchange rate is horrid, but the absolute cheapest we can do one week, with only two day park hoppers, and including skimping on food (making as much as we can, eating QS only for supper) is $5000 CDN ($3500 US) for our family of 4. We can do two trips other places for that same price. My head tells me it's not worth it. It's just my stupid bleeding heart that makes me consider it.

For reasons I won't get into (it's a long story), my husband *is* willing to take us back one more time, next year. I've been pricing it to see if it's even remotely doable, and honestly, it's insane. Now, granted, we're from Canada, so just getting there alone costs quite a chunk and the exchange rate is horrid, but the absolute cheapest we can do one week, with only two day park hoppers, and including skimping on food (making as much as we can, eating QS only for supper) is $5000 CDN ($3500 US) for our family of 4. We can do two trips other places for that same price. My head tells me it's not worth it. It's just my stupid bleeding heart that makes me consider it.

The Canadian dollar and the cost of flying there is absolutely killer. We could almost squeeze in an extra trip for what we pay in airfare.

I hope it ends up working out for you!

At Paris there are free pools just like Disneyland itself (machine based by inserting a ticket). Then VIP Hotel which is basically an Unlimited FP For staying in a specific level of room, Hotel which is just a single use FP get some for staying on site, then finally ones that function exactly like ExpressPass at Universal that anyone can buy and only so many a day sold. Again the Paris resort is just so different than WDW in terms of hotel guest count and the type of visitor but I don’t really think this setup would work at Disney world, too many onsite guests and too many once in a lifetime trips.
Thanks, I've never been to Disneyland Paris...just did a quick search on there website and so the packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!