Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
Sure they can - the plate reader picks up plate number at the same time the MB reader identifies MDE profile: bam, plate number is now associated with an MDE profile, and that profile is attached to a resort stay. If the plate is an Uber car, the exit plate reader registers the car exiting the same day and no parking fee will be charged. If it's a rental, the exit plate reader does not log an exit & the system registers the plate staying overnight and charges a parking fee to the resort portfolio connected to that MDE profile. Makes no difference who owns the car as the plate reader isn't accessing a database, only connecting a plate number to a MB, and that MB is associated with an MDE profile, and that MDE profile is associated with a resort stay portfolio. That's my understanding, anyway.
I see potential problems with utilizing that as a system.

What timing would they be using to determing what qualifies as having exited? Midnight to 11:59pm? What happens when a vehicle enters the gate prior to midnight but exits the gate after midnight? Does that register as an overnight stay?

What timing would they be using to determing what qualifies as having exited? Midnight to 11:59pm? What happens when a vehicle enters the gate prior to midnight but exits the gate after midnight? Does that register as an overnight stay?
Yep, ITA - all sorts of oddities that may occur. I don't think we'll know until enough of them happen... AND people report them here on the DIS.

I'm gonna bet that Disney has that all figured out----- a long time ago. ?

i'm not sure if my opinion should count (i have no license as i am a teenager lmao), but if this is true then that is insanely ridiculous.
i understand that most executives of insanely large companies really don't care for the people, but when customers (who are forking over thousands of dollars to stay on a disney resort). it is really unreasonable to charge for parking a car.

now, if it was someone staying outside of disney and coming onsite for a restaurant, activity, etc.. then i would understand charging. but charging onsite guests? come on disney lmao

now, if it was someone staying outside of disney and coming onsite for a restaurant, activity, etc.. then i would understand charging. but charging onsite guests? come on disney lmao

That's why it seems so crazy that the resorts aren't charging day guests (I don't think they differentiate between day guests who are staying on-site versus those who aren't) but they are charging those who pay to stay at the resort overnight.

Observation from our 4-19 through 4-27 2018 trip....

The new Parking regs have produced an unintended consequence. A very EXPENSIVE one....
Due to the enhanced "Gate Checks" - traffic at WDW Hotels has backed up to the point that the WDW Buses can't get IN to a Resort. BUS lanes are too short to go around the backed up car traffic.

Worst case? Poly. Traffic is beginning to block 7 Seas.

WDW is likely going to have to re-engineer every WDW bus entrance at every WDW Hotel. OR? Alter the entry gate mechanism.

I'm guessing WDW did not intend to charge for Resort Parking, only to get nailed by millions in re-engineering costs for WDW Hotel entrances :).

Now - we NEVER bring a car.... DVC members from MI. We FLY in. No dog in this fight... other than WDW Bus transportation is being crippled :(.

The new Parking regs have produced an unintended consequence. A very EXPENSIVE one....
Due to the enhanced "Gate Checks" - traffic at WDW Hotels has backed up to the point that the WDW Buses can't get IN to a Resort. BUS lanes are too short to go around the backed up car traffic.

WDW is likely going to have to re-engineer every WDW bus entrance at every WDW Hotel. OR? Alter the entry gate mechanism.

I'm guessing WDW did not intend to charge for Resort Parking, only to get nailed by millions in re-engineering costs for WDW Hotel entrances :).

Now - we NEVER bring a car.... DVC members from MI. We FLY in. No dog in this fight... other than WDW Bus transportation is being crippled :(.

This is just too much crazy. WDW is just too full too busy - they'll just keep raising prices. THEY need competition to keep the prices in check - universal i am on my way.

Most likely is the scenario that the greedy buffoons that initiated this ill advised money grab didn't take the time, or effort, to consult with the Traffic Engineers and Logistical personnel, if such critters even exist at WDW, about the ramifications of their scheme to pick the resort guests pockets by initiating an income plan that requires tracking their coming and goings from the resort parking lots.
It's been my observation that when the prospect of increasing their income raises it's slimy head most Executive Types fail to exercise the most common of rule that applies to the management of successful business practices.
That rule is; Think It Through Stupid!!
Thus the average Customer/Guests are saddled with the unintended consequences that could have been avoided in the first place had the decision makers not been blinded by greed, ignorance, or both.......

This is just too much crazy. WDW is just too full too busy - they'll just keep raising prices. THEY need competition to keep the prices in check - universal i am on my way.

I still don't like the change. My next trip (Dopey weekend) I'll drive down as normal and probably stay on property due to race transposition but instead of only doing disney parks like normal I think I'll plan for 1-2 days at universal parks. It's a small thing but at least a way to take some revenue away from them.

Most likely is the scenario that the greedy buffoons that initiated this ill advised money grab didn't take the time, or effort, to consult with the Traffic Engineers and Logistical personnel, if such critters even exist at WDW, about the ramifications of their scheme to pick the resort guests pockets by initiating an income plan that requires tracking their coming and goings from the resort parking lots.
It's been my observation that when the prospect of increasing their income raises it's slimy head most Executive Types fail to exercise the most common of rule that applies to the management of successful business practices.
That rule is; Think It Through Stupid!!
Thus the average Customer/Guests are saddled with the unintended consequences that could have been avoided in the first place had the decision makers not been blinded by greed, ignorance, or both.......
What is so odd is that you don’t NEED to be a traffic engineer or have a degree in logistics to be able to predict that parking fees result in long lines and traffic backups. Simple Disney guests, like me, saw this coming.

I said initially that, while the cost is a factor, the infringement on travel freedom is the bigger deal.

What a shame.

So, I was listening to the news this morning and they were talking about the gazillion dollars that the new Marvel movie has made and that 9 out of 10 of the highest grossing movies in recent years have all been Disney releases.
( Marvels, Star Wars, and live action B&tB) All I could think was " and they have the nerve to charge me for parking??" I don't like these negative Disney feelings at all. I am hoping things get better in the future. Not feeling the magic. :(

I was at Yacht & Beach to meet with people this past weekend - it's what I told the security guard - but since I didn't have a specific ADR for a restaurant, he said I could only park for two hours "or so" or I could use valet.

I wasn't staying on-site anywhere and I don't have charging capabilities on my MagicBand (and I didn't even scan a MagicBand - just showed my ID), so I'm not really sure what they would've done to enforce the two hours other than ... towing me or nothing? But I wasn't really interested in dealing with it, so I just did valet parking and used my Tables in Wonderland card to get that comped.

I am looking in the Tables of Wonderland card this next trip. What is the "comp" thing if you don't mind me asking?

But correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Las Vegas more of a convention destination? I mean there are trips there, but i would assume conventions take the cake...which are paid by companies, not guests.

Disney is the opposite...while there is a strong convention business, there aren't nearly as many conventions as day guests.

And in las vegas, you can by pass some of the parking fees by being a member of their customer program...from what i remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!