Pallet gardening?

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
We reclaimed our 1/2 acre from a neighbor who was haying it for years. Our vegetable stand closed for good this year so I needed to expand the garden from just my mom's house (on the other side of me).
Because of the hay being pretty well rooted, we opted to use pallets from another neighbor to make raised beds (I have seen it on Pinterest).

Anyway, has anyone tried to pallet garden? Any tips?

I'm stapling weed blocker to the bottom of the pallets to keep the hay from coming up and to keep the dirt in.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I did raised beds. If your pallets have bottoms you won't be able to grow anything that roots really deep (like long carrots, parsnips etc) For potatos, I laid my seed spuds right on the soil and coved them with leaves. Then as they grew I added more soil, leaves and compost to keep the plants just covered. 1 4 x4 square yielded over a bushel. We put up rebar grid trellises on the north sides so the cukes & tomatos could hang. Squash, we just planted in the ground and let them run. If you want to keep the hay down, get you some old carpet from a carpet layer and lay it upside down between the boxes. MUCH nicer on the feet.

I double stack my pallets and last year I had pepper plants and tomatoes. This year I am trying onions which are starting to take off great and purple lima beans. We'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!