Palm Springs Living Zoo?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
There’s not a lot to do with kids in Palm Springs which makes the Living Zoo pretty enticing, but DD and I hate the heat. We are pale redheads so the desert is not where we should be but we will be there in two weeks. I have no control over the timing because we are tagging along with DH who will be working. Just how how hot will it feel there? We will definitely be going as soon as it’s open to avoid as much of the heat as possible. Any shade? I can’t figure out the actual size and how far apart everything is. How long will it take to see everything at a quick pace? My kids don’t linger at zoos, they see and keep going. My oldest is a bit of a grump and wasn’t even interested at the SD Zoo so I’m wondering what to expect here. Are the animals that apart? There is a shuttle but is it necessary? At the SD Zoo we didn’t use their shuttle and just walked everywhere. My kids are used to just going so I wouldn’t think they’d need it unless things are really far apart and it’s too hot for us. Are the stops near animals? Given our quick pace I can’t see just standing around and waiting when we could be going.

Anyone gone at night? If we stay an extra night we could go at night. I’d be much happier at night! But is it worth an extra night? If it’s fun I think it could be a great thing to, especially since DH could come too, but if there’s not much to it then it’s not worth the hotel charge even with pretty reasonable ticket fees. Does it get pretty cold after dark?

I'm no help with the Living Desert as I haven't been, though my mom has taken my kids and they loved it. But I've been to Palm Springs in mid-September many times and pretty much the only thing you want to do is be in the pool or the AC. It will be 100+ during the day, usually with dry baking heat, and high 70s/low 80s at night. It never gets cold in my experience. I would think going at night would be better heat-wise and that the animals would be out and moving around more.

We found the gardens a bigger draw than the animals but we live next to the San Diego Zoo so we're a bit spoiled. Better early morning or dusk as many of these animals are nocturnal and get more active then. But it sounds like zoos are not for you.

Not sure when you are going, but it should be warm through October.

Every kid I know loves Kenny Irwin Jr.'s home with his giant recycled robots... Worth stopping by. Often labeled as Robolights on the Google maps, the address is 1077 E Granvia Valmonte, Palm Springs, CA 92262.

It's been a few years since my last visit there, but I love that place. Be sure to check the hours for when you are going as they close early during the hottest months. I think they used to be completely closed during the summer, but that was many years ago.

It will be very hot there. The shuttle helps and when I took it, it was just a pick up/drop off thing. It wasn't a narrated tour. It could be different now. I mostly walked, as like you, I find standing around waiting for something to be much worse than walking.

There are some air conditioned buildings. The hospital is one. You can cool off in there for a bit. There are also some areas with misters. I tend to love the desert climate, so I've never been too bothered there and it's very mellow when compared to other zoos. Things are spread out, but it isn't a place that you need to spend all day at.

I have never gone at night and it doesn't appeal to me because I don't think you'd be able to see everything. They do different stuff at night. They only have night visits a few times per year.

I recommend getting large shade hats and going first thing in the morning. If you are going in 2 weeks, the park will close midday anyway when it really heats up.

I just looked at their website and see they are offering a private safari. If I was worried about the heat, I'd probably do that. It's only 2 hours and it seems like they take you almost everywhere on a private shuttle with a guide.

It is a dry heat there. Make sure to drink plenty of water. I haven't been there in so long I have no idea what there is to do. There is the arieal tram there. If you don't mind heights.They also have outlet malls if you like shopping.

Lots of golf courses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!