Palo Mediocre Food

Palo Brunch doesn't do much for me but I enjoy Palo Dinner. If I wasn't Platinum, I probably wouldn't go to either though.

I agree that the food is good for the level of restaurant but not over the top great. The service has always been wonderful, the atmosphere is beautiful, it's QUIET and I never feel rushed. If you want high end food - go to Remy and spend a glorious 3 hours having a dining experience!

Many rave about Palo but have to be honest it was a very mediocre food experience as far as a nicer restaurant goes.

Yes I know it's "$40" but I put this on top of what I consider to be a $30 to $50 experience of the main dining room where you can sample multiple dishes. So that puts this meal in the $70-$90 range per person.

I had the Caprese (solid appetizer, good balsamic, but nothing that superior to a quality Italian restaurant), Osso Bucco (very average dish, recommended by the server and someone a table over to a tablemate over the Filet, but was very similar to a high quality pot roast with Rissoto), and the Chocolate Soufflé (very good dessert, cooked perfectly, and piping hot when served, and started early so not as to wait for it to be cooked).

I think my suggestion is do not get the Bucco, my wife loved the Ciuppin appetizer, and while she liked the Filet was not blown away like many seem to talk about.

It's an experience that I would say is worth doing. I would check your expectations for the food as honestly I had better food (tuna tower w/ avacado and Black Truffle Pasta) at the normal dinner so far.

Glad we did it, likely would do it again, would come in with a different mind set, and likely would shoot hard to get brunch instead of dinner.

Brunch is definitely much better than dinner, IMO.

I agree with the OP. Palo was middle of the road. My server at Palo, however, was much better than my server a Remy, which has much better food.

Firstly, I think every one agrees that taste in food is subjective, What one person likes, another detests. So, my opinion is based on my experiences and likes. I have had the incredible good fortune to have eaten around the world — everything from 3 star Michelin restaurants to street vendors. I have also spent a lot of time in Italy and I cook a lot of Italian food (mostly recipes derived from the culinary influences north of the Po but also from Tuscany and Emilia Romagna). So, while not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, I have a lot of experience as a reference point to assess Palo... or so I think!

Palo is good. It’s not great. But it is definitely good. And it is worth more than $40. If I hadn’t had the dining experiences I have had in my life, I might rave about it but I understand where it fits into my view of culinary adventures. I certainly would never complain about it but I don’t get excited about it. And after 8 cruises with Disney, we don’t even book dinner anymore. Brunch — that is a different story. I genuinely enjoy the brunch!

The service is always outstanding.

We also like the antipasto course served prior to the appetizers. Love the meats, cheeses, olives, etc as a starter to the meal.

We just had Palo dinner for the first time on the Fantasy this past Tuesday. I was looking forward to the Antipasto, and they have changed their menu very recently according to our server. The Antipasto is now listed as an appetizer on the menu. DH and I each ordered our own appetizer, and an antipasto to share.

We enjoyed our dinner very much. We had the Ciuppin, Caprese and antipasto for appetizers, DH had the scallops and I had the Dover sole for our main course and we had the chocolate and amaretto souffles for dessert. We also were seated in the beautiful alcove with the Italy scene made from the glass beads. We felt so special.

And it is worth more than $40.

Just want to point out you are paying well over $40 for the meal. $40 is just the itemized portion you are missing the portion from your $2k/$4k/$6k+ overall trip cost.

I still say it's a good experience. Just wanted to make sure to call that out again. I also think that's why brunch would be a much better deal.

Food is extremely subjective like someone mentioned above. Thankfully we like to make up our own minds and never listen or read reviews on any restaurant, land based or cruise.

This is why food is so subjective. I completely disagree. :) You cannot get that dover sole at Brunch and for me it is all about that dover sole.

I had the Dover sole. Way too many capers. It was good, but I could have been a lot better.

See I disagree. :) I loved it. I loved the capers but I also love capers. I honestly dream about that meal.

I like capers too. They just put way too many capers on my fish that it overwhelms the flavor. Now, I cook and eat fish twice a week, so maybe that has something to do with it.

We just had Palo dinner for the first time on the Fantasy this past Tuesday. I was looking forward to the Antipasto, and they have changed their menu very recently according to our server. The Antipasto is now listed as an appetizer on the menu. DH and I each ordered our own appetizer, and an antipasto to share.

We enjoyed our dinner very much. We had the Ciuppin, Caprese and antipasto for appetizers, DH had the scallops and I had the Dover sole for our main course and we had the chocolate and amaretto souffles for dessert. We also were seated in the beautiful alcove with the Italy scene made from the glass beads. We felt so special.
Did you note any other changes to the menu by chance, other than the antipasti now being an ordered appetizer? I looked around very briefly and don’t see that new menu anywhere but I’m going to dig a little deeper...

Did you note any other changes to the menu by chance, other than the antipasti now being an ordered appetizer? I looked around very briefly and don’t see that new menu anywhere but I’m going to dig a little deeper...
I didn't think to take a photo of the menu. I only know that is a change because our server told us. There was a small gnocchi (one bite) appetizer that was very good, then an intermezzo after the appetizer, and after dessert we got little shot glasses with a frozen shot I think was the lemon sorbet and prosecco maybe (I really should have written it down).

My two cents.

I think if your looking to get away from the crowds for a quite dinner or brunch it is exceptional.

The service for DH and I has always been top notch.

Taste and quality of the dishes is very subjective. As one poster put it, if your idea of a nice dinner is Olive Garden or Applebee’s than you will be blown away.

If your from the NJ/NY city area, we are used to really good Italian food. In my area in NJ we have so many really good restaurants, with some phenomenal chefs. Not chain restaurants.

But DH and I have always enjoyed Palo. On our next cruise in 4 weeks we will be dining at Palo for both Brunch and Dinner for the first time with our 3 sons. They are finally all old enough to dine there. We are all very excited.

Palo is worth it every cruise. Heck, your on vacation, live a little!

Many rave about Palo but have to be honest it was a very mediocre food experience as far as a nicer restaurant goes.

Yes I know it's "$40" but I put this on top of what I consider to be a $30 to $50 experience of the main dining room where you can sample multiple dishes. So that puts this meal in the $70-$90 range per person.

I had the Caprese (solid appetizer, good balsamic, but nothing that superior to a quality Italian restaurant), Osso Bucco (very average dish, recommended by the server and someone a table over to a tablemate over the Filet, but was very similar to a high quality pot roast with Rissoto), and the Chocolate Soufflé (very good dessert, cooked perfectly, and piping hot when served, and started early so not as to wait for it to be cooked).

I think my suggestion is do not get the Bucco, my wife loved the Ciuppin appetizer, and while she liked the Filet was not blown away like many seem to talk about.

It's an experience that I would say is worth doing. I would check your expectations for the food as honestly I had better food (tuna tower w/ avacado and Black Truffle Pasta) at the normal dinner so far.

Glad we did it, likely would do it again, would come in with a different mind set, and likely would shoot hard to get brunch instead of dinner.

I've only eaten in Palo twice, both times for brunch, but i wasn't impressed either time.

The first time was on the Wonder, the second time on the Dream.

The first time was with my husband, son and daughter.
The second time with my mom and sister.

None of us were impressed.

Not that it was bad, but it wasn't better than the average restaurant we've eaten in on land, and certainly not nearly as good as some of the better places we've been at.

Perhaps our disappointment was due to overly high expectations.
Although, the second time around i wasn't expecting much given my earlier experience.
But the dream palo was even less impressive than the wonder.

Anyway, as always, cliches work well. Your mileage may vary. One man's junk is another man's treasure, etc etc etc.

I would definitely try it once and see for yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!