Panama Canal vs Transatlantic Fall 2019

limace

DIS Veteran
We are looking at two cruises right now-the Transatlantic Dover to NY September 2019 on the Magic, or the Panama Canal San Diego to Galveston, November 2019, on the Wonder. Family of 4 on this one, kids would be 10 and 13. Balcony stateroom. I've always wanted to do either itinerary. Kids have never been on a cruise but love to travel.

Transatlantic: Pros: cheaper by about 5 grand, a great excuse to get my younger kids to Europe first. Cons: We start school right after Labor Day here, so timing isn't great. Possible motion sickness? I've never been seasick on a cruise but I'm guessing this is much different than the Caribbean. Flights expensive.

Panama Canal: Pros: longer, Spanish speaking ports (the kids are in Spanish immersion schools so maybe can sell this as "educational"?), although it's longer it's over Veteran's day week and this year kids have several extra days off school that week. Flights would be cheaper (we are on the west coast). Cons: more expensive, more time off.

What would you do? I'm tempted to get at least a placeholder booking in on one of them. I've never cruised Disney-but own DVC, so we're definitely Disney fans. Anything else we should consider?

We are looking at two cruises right now-the Transatlantic Dover to NY September 2019 on the Magic, or the Panama Canal San Diego to Galveston, November 2019, on the Wonder. Family of 4 on this one, kids would be 10 and 13. Balcony stateroom. I've always wanted to do either itinerary. Kids have never been on a cruise but love to travel.

Transatlantic: Pros: cheaper by about 5 grand, a great excuse to get my younger kids to Europe first. Cons: We start school right after Labor Day here, so timing isn't great. Possible motion sickness? I've never been seasick on a cruise but I'm guessing this is much different than the Caribbean. Flights expensive.

Panama Canal: Pros: longer, Spanish speaking ports (the kids are in Spanish immersion schools so maybe can sell this as "educational"?), although it's longer it's over Veteran's day week and this year kids have several extra days off school that week. Flights would be cheaper (we are on the west coast). Cons: more expensive, more time off.

What would you do? I'm tempted to get at least a placeholder booking in on one of them. I've never cruised Disney-but own DVC, so we're definitely Disney fans. Anything else we should consider?
Well, I'm always in the longer is better camp. Other factors - itinerary (what/how many ports), cost, dates of cruise.

What is your school system like for days off, how many do they allow? I'm assuming one will be in 8th grade? In our school system, the kids get pounded with homework in 8th grade to (over) prepare them for high school...it's actually much harder than 9th grade. I'd probably go with the cruise that takes them out of school less. In general, taking them out of school in Fall is probably better than Spring due to mandatory State Testing schedules--we live in MA and have MCAS testing in March and May. Also think about the cost of one-way airfare to Europe. While the Panama Canal cruise may start out at $5K more...the airfare cost may narrow that gap.

I really want to do the Panama Canal one someday...at this point we're just waiting for both kids to graduate high school (4 more years...). I was tempted by this year's Westbound as 1 week of it was over our April vacation...except I have a 12th grader and couldn't pull her out with her schedule. (The 8th grader, I'd have allowed for 1 week...)

Good luck with your decision!

We have done both, one without kids (and grandkids) and one with g-kids (in 2008 on the Magic EBPC) that ended just as school started and included CC. Crossing the Atlantic was a bit rough two days during the WBTA, but we did not need meds to make it through. This is a tough decision for you folks. I can see the pros and cons. I agree with PrincessShmoo that longer is better, but with kids, school, and time off you will have to see what schedule works best. If it is a draw on all fronts, maybe you should let your kids have a say in the cruise. There are YouTube videos on both that might help some, although they keep changing the itinerary from year to year. Good luck!!

Another pro for Panama is that its a Merrytime cruise. We just did the WBPC and LOVED it, pulled our 2 10 year olds out of school, they got their work ahead and had no trouble catching up when we got back. I very much want to the the Nov 2019 especially with the Merrytime cruise but I don't think its in the cards for us this go around.

Also with pulling kids out I would think September would be harder than November as in September they are just getting into the groove and don't have all the routines/etc. down yet.

My DW went through the same issues. We've done an east and a west PC (just last month). We thought, with the newest OBB, we would do the WBTA next September. Maybe even go a little early to be tourists in the UK. Then the itineraty came out. We lost a day and a shorex. 10 days just doesn't seem very long. The 14 day PCs will spoil you. The kicker for us was that the EBPC is a Merrytime cruise.

Here's what you need to do. First off, compare the pricing ON A PER-NIGHT basis. We found out that 4 nite difference actually made the PC cheaper than the TA. AND. Then add in ALL your airfare. Unless you live in the New York area, once you start having to include an international flight, the total cost will probably be about the same for both trips (don't forget Merrytime). Plus we like the shorex better on the PCs. Ergo, you can guess which one we're doing again.

I can't easily recommend what to do about the kids. DW and I are definitely NOT the "it takes a village" kind. So I do what is best for my family and not be sheeple. After 20+ years of Anaheim and Orlando trips, my kids turned out just fine, thank you. If yours are in Spanish immersion, then yes, the PC would be better and can definitely be turned into multiple learning moments. Just takes a little imagination. Talk to the teaching staff - you have at least a 50/50 chance of them supporting you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter