Pandora and Toy Story ?

Tripletmom2001

Earning My Ears
We have been to Disney 8 times with our triplet boys. They are now 17 and one of our sons has epilepsy and autism. His seizures began again 2 years ago at Disney and it took 18 months to get them controlled. His triggers are lights and contrasting lights in darkness. We were at Disney last December to see our other two sons perform with their high school band, but limited our time to Universal and a day at Magic Kingdom. We left the parks before dark because sometimes even headlights at night can cause a seizure. He wears a hat and sunglasses to minimize the contrast.
The boys love going to Disney for Thanksgiving, so we are planning a short trip again this year. We are staying at Kidani Village and my son with epilepsy and I plan to relax and enjoy the hotel the majority of our stay. We will go to Animal Kingdom for Thanksgiving because we love Tusker House Thanksgiving meal. I've looked at videos of Navi River and see that it is a dark ride, but does it have any quick, bright lights? I want to establish expectations for him as well as schedule fast passes for the rest of our party. I would love to see the new Toy Story area, but don't want to go to Hollywood Studios if there isn't anything for my son to ride. Again, I've looked at Slinky Dog, but was wondering if there is any lights or picture flashes.
I know about the pinned light warning post, but my question is just about these two new rides and more the contrast of dark and light.
Thanks for all your help!
Colleen

I would not do the flight of passage at AK there are blinking lights at the begging and end of the ride, river one I have only done 2x it was closed for 3 days my last weeklong trip but I think it should be ok.

slinky dog does take your pictures but the whole coaster is outside it does go under a walkway at one point if the sun is out I do not think you will see the flash at all. very similar to 7DMT but all outside.

There are no quick, bright flashes in Na’vi River ride. There are some small flickers and some pulsating blue-green-purple lights, but nothing fast or bright. This video is the best I’ve seen. It shows the entire queue, the load/unload area and the entire from point of view of the rider.
The attraction in real life is not quite as dark as it shows in the video, so there is even less contrast. In real life, it’s more like the picture on the video ‘title slide’ the way it shows on my post before opening it.

This is a good point of view video of Slinky Dog Dash. Since it is all uncovered, there are not the same issues with going in and out of dark like at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

I don’t know if he would be bothered by the switches in direction from facing the sun to facing away from the sun.
I also noticed a spinning flame flag that begins at about 1:24 in the video. That might cause problems for some people who have issues with lights (I know some people have issues with sunlight shining thru trees where the leaves are blocking then not blocking the sun).

Thanks so much! Yes, the switches in direction facing the sun can cause an issue. I think I will stick to our original plan and spend part of the day at Animal Kingdom and the remaining time of our visit enjoying the hotel and Disney Springs. The remainder of our party can enjoy the parks. I know I am being overly cautious, but frequently he does not respond to rescue medication. Last year he was in status epilepticus and went into respiratory failure resulting in time in the ICU and on a ventilator. That part of his brain never recovered. He and I will be able to enjoy Disney in a more relaxed manner. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter