Parenting parents is so hard!

Am starting to live this more and more.

Was definitely noticeable after my Mom had her knee replacement in December 2017. She would be all smiley and compliant for the physical therapist. Me - not so much. Would not want to eat (or only eat what she wanted (such as Loaded Baked Potato soup that would not be good for her diabetes or cholesterol issues) and not what she was being served). And then I swear she would go days without showering and it was a constant struggle to get her up and out of the bed or to do her exercises. I love her dearly but she was testing all of my patience. And my Dad has issues walking so he was not much help with her. I finally told her that she needed to start doing more for herself because I was taking my vacation in early March that I desperately needed. She somehow in a week's time was much more mobile, ready to go to Disneyland (granted with a wheelchair), and able to do more for herself. But even a year and a half later she has slowed a lot and I can tell. And her brain and memory has me concerned too...

And then my Dad --- he should have an ankle surgery, but refuses due to cost. And of course, we cannot let him get a cold as it turns into a bigger issue within a few hours due to Chronic Reactive Airway disease that typically results in an ER visit and hospital stay.

I am lucky as my cousins are all going through the same with their parents (3 couples all in their 80s), so we are always willing to help each other and vent as needed. But this all truly falls on me as an only child. But I love them and as someone said, it will be my honor and privilege to care for my parents after all they have done for me.

I'm an only child too - and have some cousins I'm close to struggling the same way. But we're too far apart to be able to help out that much (or at least I am, an hour + away in good weather) but come summer it will be easier to share the load, I'm hoping.

When I was at my mom's for a month last summer it was when she had double knee replacement. What heck that was. And is still. A lot of what you describe is similar. Except my mom is even not super compliant with PT (she will scream out in pain and say 'stop, I can't do anymore'). Now her hip is acting up and her knees still aren't good (10 months post op). Yet she lives in 3 story house with large yard and on the water with lots of steps down and a pier. She cannot maintain yet won't sell and she fights hiring out the work (I cut her grass today....I moved into townhome with HOA so I wouldn't have to do yardwork anymore and here I am). She also eats like crap and won't cut out the things she needs to (has high BP and A Fib too). She really needs to drop 40 pounds and her joints and heart would be thankful. And she gets in her recliner and sleeps hours and hours. She does have a little office job 3 days a week.

Here's something bugging me this trip. SHe shops around. So if we are at grocery store and I remind her she needs more laundry soap she will say that she has to check BJs, Sams and Costco to see what's on sale and get it there. If we are driving by her gas station a mile from her house and I remind her she needs gas she will say that she has to drive over to BJs to get it. We're planning Easter dinner and she wrote list of groceries and then had to get out all 4 grocery fliers and, of course, the 3 warehouse coupon books to mark down where we'll get each thing on the list....have to buy them for the cheapest price even if it means we go to 3 places just for Easter groceries. SIGH!!!!!

Wait, are you taking care of my mom? ;)

I am in the same situation. You definitely are not alone. Parenting mom and teens, and working full time is exhausting. It is really hard and depressing to switch roles with your parent. I took my mother to a new cardiologist recently and went in the room with her. He asked who I was and she replied "she's my mother." Yup, and I don't want to be my mother's mother but somebody has to do it. I don't want any of my kids to be my mother either and caring for her makes me think a lot about my own future too.

I just passed the 8th anniversary of losing my parents, and it’s still hard to be without them. But I wouldn’t go back to that last year or two for anything. It was so hard! Even though my sister and I get along well and were on the same page, just working out schedules for spending time caring for them while still working full time was exhausting. Add in the stress of knowing they were suffering and demanding at the same time, and it can come close to costing you your sanity. I really sympathize with anyone who still has this battle to fight. It’s not easy under the best of circumstances. :grouphug: to all.

I am in the same situation. You definitely are not alone. Parenting mom and teens, and working full time is exhausting. It is really hard and depressing to switch roles with your parent. I took my mother to a new cardiologist recently and went in the room with her. He asked who I was and she replied "she's my mother." Yup, and I don't want to be my mother's mother but somebody has to do it. I don't want any of my kids to be my mother either and caring for her makes me think a lot about my own future too.
This! I went low carb and dropped some weight because I don't want to have similar health problems. I do need to get to the gym too. But, I think about that all the time. I am glad I have 3 kids so it won't all be on just 1.

I liked your posts because I appreciate the support - not exactly the kind of thing any of us "like!"

I know so many people IRL too that are going through this. As ronandette said, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. They refused to leave their home, then their town when I forced the move, dragging my siblings into agreement. Trying to respect their choices while trying to manage their needs from another state has been brutal. Now that I'm taking over some things and putting my foot down I feel like everyone is mad at me. I got home at 1 am after an 8 hour drive home and have already talked to mom(who answered the phone in tears because she feels like the whole world is up in flames,) my brother, the nurse at their Assisted Living place and worked my part time job. I also finally heard back today from their financial planner -the day AFTER I left town, so I had to put more paperwork on hold. They want HER to sign, not me, her POA. I work the next three weeks and then I go down again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and did I mention that my siblings don't approve of me taking the car keys away? I took the blame for it, but I did what I knew needed to be done.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard some variation on "We don't accept a POA." Then exactly what good is it? Why did I go through the effort of having an attorney draw it up and a notary sign off on it? I've jumped through all the hoops and a person or agency can just say "Nope. Sorry. Don't accept a legal document." It's ridiculous.

No one takes the POA. It seems like the POA is just the entry point to a whole bunch more paperwork. I have POA, I'm on the trust (which essentially makes me a co-owner of everything in the trust,) I have incapacity paperwork, and I still have hoops to jump through.

OP and others who are going through this, thoughts going to you.
Not everyone can do it.

I never had s issues with them taking the POA, bit also I am sure in my records it probably has in there that I was a ... Lol
But sometimes you have to be.

Wow. Thanks for making me feel not so alone today. I was just there for a week so I think today is my day to just wallow in it after being strong all week.

The "parenting" was full on this week with taking away mom's keys. I'm still in the process of taking over bills because of all the steps - every single business they deal with has different protocol. They are so needy and don't realize I've given up my full time job, couldn't even manage a part time job, and now am trying to work on call around this mess. I did that willingly because I knew I could/should. Siblings are older and live closer, but it was clear it should be me. Meanwhile my siblings are struggling with making it down for a weekend every month or so, but not trusting that I have a better grasp of mom's capabilities than they do. They think "she will know when she's not capable" and I know that's simply not true. I'm fortunate because they have stepped up to help on moving day, etc. so they've got my back in that way, but I've been the one leading the charge, making all the arrangements. I'm tired of being in charge and being the bad guy. Today I'm really wanting my life back.

Last year right around this time, my DH and I took a long weekend and flew to New Orleans for a stress relief vacation since things had been hard with family obligations for two years. I think we need to do another trip, it really did help. I see two weekends free in the next few months and I'm having DH check his schedule when he gets home today. Probably no flight in the cards this time, but we can take the dog and go to a cabin somewhere and hibernate for a few days.

Caregivers need to take care of themselves.

God bless all of you caregivers. My DGM lived to 103, and my mom earned her angel wings while still on earth by being her caregiver until a month before her passing.

Please take care of YOU (each and every one of you). It's okay to be a little "selfish" (because it's not being!).

Terri

It’s heartbreaking, for sure.

It certainly makes me mindful of how I hope things go down the road-my poor daughter is an only child, but her husband is a rock. We’re not that attached to our house and I hope to be in something smaller and one floor in the next five years. If she thinks I should stop driving, I hope I hand over the keys.

A friend of mine has a very demanding father (and she cared for a mother with dementia for years). She’s a widow, kids live out of state and her world has become very small.

It was a difficult day today. Moved my 87-year-old mom into a "skilled nursing facility," something I never wanted to do. But dad is 88, Mom can't walk or support her own weight, and her safety was jeopardized. The facility is really nice, the staff seem wonderful. But it's so hard. My only sibling lives in another state and has for decades, so he's not much help. My mom and I have always been so close, and seeing her physical and mental decline is heart-breaking. I just hope she'll settle in and be as happy as possible. Wish there was a caregiver support group in our city. This journey can feel so isolating, even when you know so many others are going through it too.

It was a difficult day today. Moved my 87-year-old mom into a "skilled nursing facility," something I never wanted to do. But dad is 88, Mom can't walk or support her own weight, and her safety was jeopardized. The facility is really nice, the staff seem wonderful. But it's so hard. My only sibling lives in another state and has for decades, so he's not much help. My mom and I have always been so close, and seeing her physical and mental decline is heart-breaking. I just hope she'll settle in and be as happy as possible. Wish there was a caregiver support group in our city. This journey can feel so isolating, even when you know so many others are going through it too.
Hugs to you. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry to see many hurting. I know what this is life as I think I have been my mother's caregiver my entire 40 years on earth. I know the fears of middle night calls when she was lost in her apartment or sick and on her way to the hospital. I have had to fight against her and some doctors and my mother's twin brother that she could not take care of herself. No, I did not want to sentence my mother to rest of her life with me where my husband and I worked full time and always gone and she be here with some stranger watching reruns all day. In my mind I knew it would shorten her lifespan or fast forward the dementia more. It was my duty to make sure she is safe and I was the one being asked why and what and how.

EVERYONE has an opinion about homes and help and what should be done. Nothing is ever easy and all people are different. My mom is still very young but has multitude of health problems in addition to being manic depressive high anxiety and got herself addicted to pain pill. I found a wonderful small facility that is for medicare/medicade. This is an outstanding safe place and they take great care. I feel guilt but then I see my mom there or hear her progress and get my reports from the facility every month and I know she is where she needs to be.

If you are thinking of facilities, there are some great ones and don't let everyone's opinions get in the way. Do what is best for everyone and that doesn't make it "easy" choice.
Blessings to you all

I agree, very hard to parent your parents.

My Dad passed away in January 2008, complications from dementia. Mom cared for him at home until the last 6 months of his life, it was just getting too difficult for her and he was getting violent at night. So I really didn't have to parent him very much.

Mom, on the other hand, was a different story. She had a small stroke 4-5 years ago. She had lived in a senior citizen apartment just a block from the senior center, so she walked to/from there almost daily. One day she thought she had forgotten her front door key (it was actually in her sweater pocket, but she had her coat on and didn't find it in those pockets so thought she'd left the key home) so she walked around to the back door to the hide-a-key turtle she kept on the deck. It was raining, and cold, and she slipped and fell on the deck. Rather than immediately pressing the button on her necklace to summon help, she forgot she had it and laid there on the deck for an hour shivering and getting rained on. :( She finally remembered she had the necklace and did press the button and help came right away. They weren't sure if she had the stroke and that's why she fell, or if she had the stroke after she fell. She spent several days in the hospital, then was released to a local nursing home for rehabilitation.

But, for a year or more before that happened she started losing weight. She had always been small (only 107 pounds when I was born, was 85 pounds when she got married) so she didn't have any extra weight to lose, so I took her to the doctor. I had been having to keep her medicines with me at home as she began "playing with them" if they were in the bottles. She did okay with them when I put them in day-of-the-week containers. Her doctor couldn't find anything really wrong, but did say maybe it was time for an assisted living place. She couldn't afford that on her income, and Medicare doesn't help with that. She was adamant about not wanting to live with us. She had had her own father live with her 4 months, before he could get a room at the nursing home her mother was in and she said it was the most difficult thing she ever had to do. She had to live on his schedule, cook for him, etc. and he was a smoker so that was a factor too. She always said she would never, ever live with us and put the burden on us. I cleaned house for her, paid her bills, took her shopping, etc. I didn't resent it or anything, was glad to be in a place that I COULD help her, but it just felt so STRANGE to be doing things for her that she had always done for herself, you know? And worry, oh my gosh, I worried about her constantly. Especially with her living on her own, and losing the weight like she was. So hard.

After her rehabilitation they evaluated her and said she could stay, I was so grateful for that! She lived at the nursing home almost 2 years before she passed away. I was relieved that she was finally getting the care and supervision that she needed, but of course I still did things for her. Took her to her doctor appointments, did her laundry, shopping, etc. We would bring her to our house for holidays, birthday parties, take her out to dinner/supper occasionally, etc. The strangest-feeling thing I ever had to do for her was take her to the bathroom when we were out, or here at our house. She couldn't pull her pants down or up. Really felt weird doing that. But I gladly helped her anyway I could, it just felt so strange that our roles had reversed. They say that's how it happens, and at that point in my life I knew what they were talking about. So hard.

Hugs to all going through this. My brother has just left as we’ve been discussing further plans to support our parents. Both in their 90’s and only the last 3 years have been tough but will get even tougher as Dad is now blind and Mum getting immobile.

How does it work in the US? Here if you have your own home any savings everything has to be paid for. My parents fought against paying for care at home until Mum had to go into respite after being really unwell. I have other family support roles and was on my knees trying to cope and my brother stepped up and told my parents it’s with this or residential care so they agreed to daily care.

My husband and I plan to make sure we are living somewhere more suitable by the time we are 80 (if we are lucky enough to get to that milestone) as my parents refuse to leave the large family home with huge garden where we grew up.

My mother is 93. She's lived with us in an in-law apt for 25 yrs. For most of that time she's been pretty independent. But the past few years have gotten tough as she's lost her mobility and a lot of her independence. I've increasingly had to take on a larger role in helping her, which I never really minded. We help eachother out. She was there when my kids were born and growing up, and we're there for her now. She drove until 88, but after that I had to help her with shopping or shop for her, take her to medical appts and hairdressers, etc. She used to get rides from the senior center but one wintry day she got out of the car and slipped and fell right on the ice; after that she only wanted us to take her. She had always resisted using a cane or walker which made things difficult for me. She had a lot of falls because of it, but I couldn't force her to use it - she would walk on her own regardless since I couldn't be there 100% of the time. By the time she finally said she'd use the cane, I told her she was way past that and now needed a walker because she had become unsteady. So she's used the walker out of necessity for a few years, but is now completely dependent on it. If she doesn't have a walker, she can't walk. But with one, she does ok, usually. She definitely overestimates her abilities, though! And is stubborn as a mule! Lol. Sometimes we clash ideas but she knows she really needs to do what I say, for safety and such. I am a nurse so she knows I know what I'm talking about. (And she herself took care of patients for many years, so she knows.) Between me and my daughter, who is in nursing school, she pretty much has two private duty nurses here. If that were not the case, she would definitely need to be in a skilled care facility. People tell her all the time how fortunate she is to still be in her own home with so much loving help, but I don't know if she really appreciates that. She does appreciate our help, but she thinks that there are millions of people in their 90s out dancing and jumping out of airplanes, and doesn't seem to believe that there are actually very few in their 90s who are doing such things. Most, if they make it that far, have memory, health and mobility issues, for sure. But she is really cute in her own way most of the time. She had a tough life so I'm glad to be able to help her out.

About a year ago, she was diagnosed with cancer. Because she is super healthy and of sound mind, she had surgery to remove the cancer, which she wanted to do, and even had a few doses of radiation as sort of an insurance policy. The doctors seemed to think that would be the end of it. Recovery was slow, but uncomplicated, so things were looking good. Until this past fall, when she started to show some signs of distal disease, and a biopsy was done. That came back as metastatic cancer, unfortunately. So it had spread. She was devastated, because she expected to keep going for a good, long time. Two days after she got that news, she broke her hip just from sitting down too forcefully. She couldn't believe it. (Despite my having many conversations with her about how from an evolution standpoint, bodies just weren't meant to live into, let alone past, the 90s, and eventually things begin to deteriorate, whether it's bones, cells, the brain, or whatever.) They told her she would not walk again if she didn't have the hip repaired. So she wanted to go forward with that. (No cancer in the bone, just osteoporosis.) Omg, what a nightmare that was! From a hip standpoint, she did great. But just from the pain and the medications she had delerium pretty bad in the hospital and I basically had to stay there with her for a week. The one time I went home for a shower and to change clothes she began screaming for me and saying they were trying to kill her there, etc., so I rushed back. She was in so much pain they basically couldn't touch or move her. It was a catch 22 because giving her pain meds made her loopy. Awful week. From there she went to rehab and that was a nightmare, as well. Again, from a hip perspective, she did great. But she came home after five weeks with not one, but two raging infections, and we had to battle those here at home. Fortunately she had a great visiting nurse and our primary team and other doctors involved in her care worked with me. But I thought we were going to lose her, and she even told me she felt like she was dying. She knew it. But she battled and we made it through.

Because we had only just gotten word about the cancer metastasis two days before the hip fracture, a further work up had been delayed by six or seven weeks. (And we also had a delay on the diagnosis itself, based on an original misdiagnosis.) So when she finally had a PET scan late winter, we learned her cancer had spread quite a bit. Her oncology team has been able to offer her a medication to slow the cancer. It's not chemo, but something else. And it seems to be working. But unfortunately sometimes it makes her legs weak and she's had a couple of recent falls. I've had to take her walker away when that happens if we can't be right there with her, and she does not like it one bit. And I've had to use a baby monitor at night to see if she's getting up by herself (which she does) and I have to go running down there! But mostly she's still ok walking and I try to get her out of the house as often as I can. We took her to FL in March and she was really happy to go, she'd been really looking forward to it. But I can see her getting more and more frail. We've had lots of discussions about end of life. She's aware, and to a degree, accepting, but she still wants to keep going, so I'm trying to support that as long as it's realistic. At some point we will likely have to set up hospice services. I've pretty much been doing most of this on my own, with my daughter and husband's help. I am pretty exhausted as I work and help run a household and am still active with my kids, etc. But I feel priveledged to be able to do it for her, and we do still have many good times together with lots of laughs. There are days, though, that I feel pretty deflated and overwhelmed. We really can't leave her alone anymore and she is scared alone at night so if we're out at night we have to either hire someone to stay in the house, or take her with us. I know everyone says take care of yourself, but it has been challenging to do so for me right now.

So I can relate to a lot of your stories! It's nice to know that there are others out there, too, going through such difficult things with their parents.

Sorry, I knew that was going to be long so I wanted to wait till I had time to write it, to share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter