Parents of Class of 2018 thread

My son's experience has been different than the typical college search. His dream is to play college football and he is very fortunate to have been offered a football scholarship to play for Army and attend West Point. ( He is a quarterback). All the cadets are essentially on scholarship, but it is football that is paying the bill for him. It won't be easy balancing the academics, military commitments, and football obligations but he feels West Point is the place that will benefit him the most.

My son's experience has been different than the typical college search. His dream is to play college football and he is very fortunate to have been offered a football scholarship to play for Army and attend West Point. ( He is a quarterback). All the cadets are essentially on scholarship, but it is football that is paying the bill for him. It won't be easy balancing the academics, military commitments, and football obligations but he feels West Point is the place that will benefit him the most.

What an amazing opportunity for your son. Congratulations!!

College? For Matthew? :faint: Where has the time gone, Lisa?

I just saw your screen name there in the forum, had to stop by and say hello. :wave: Hope you, Patrick and Matthew are all doing well, Lisa. :hug:'s A very Merry and Blessed Christmas for you all.

Dan
Dan!:hug::hug: So nice of you to say hello!! We are all well!! How many grandchildren do you have? :grouphug:
Can you believe it! College! Next year will be a tough one for sure!!
Merry Christmas!!

My daughter heard from her first choice college today and received an amazing merit scholarship. So far she has been accepted into 6 schools with the other two not announcing decisions until February. Next step is accepted students days. Tomorrow she takes her last final for dual enrollment and is off until around January 16th.

Dan!:hug::hug: So nice of you to say hello!! We are all well!! How many grandchildren do you have? :grouphug:
Can you believe it! College! Next year will be a tough one for sure!!
Merry Christmas!!
Good to hear everyone is well, Lisa. Best wishes for Matthew in the years ahead, and for you and Patrick also.

Four boys...Jeremy, Christopher, Keegan and Griffin, and one girl, Delaney. :love: They keep us busy.

20170624_145709_zpsynz3cppv.jpg

20161124_154050_zpsuutxf5pq.jpg

20170824_123729_zpsft6bvmo3.jpg

20171014_132602_zpsfesuds7n.jpg

2017120295132156_zpsmupb2qwe.jpg

20171021_163045_zpsykxbaik9.jpg

My DS just received his 3rd acceptance! This is the school that I would pick for him. (The closest to home!) He's still waiting on 2 more. I think the suspense is harder on me. I just want to know where he's going to be. If he chooses the school close to home we can see him some weekends. All the other schools would probably only be Christmas and summer because they are so far away.

My DS just received his 3rd acceptance! This is the school that I would pick for him. (The closest to home!) He's still waiting on 2 more. I think the suspense is harder on me. I just want to know where he's going to be. If he chooses the school close to home we can see him some weekends. All the other schools would probably only be Christmas and summer because they are so far away.

Congratulations!!! We received 4 acceptances and the most recent is 30 minutes from home :love: The last 3 he is waiting on are the farthest from home. I think the first two acceptances he received are the two it will come down to. One is exactly one hour , the other 3 1/2.

Sadly, my son was deferred from University of Chicago EA and will be reconsidered in Spring. Applying RD to MIT. He will be accepted early to one of our Florida Flagships, most likely with a full scholarship. He would have loved an offer from Chicago though.

Most schools my daughter applied to are close. The closest one is maybe a 20 minute subway ride. One is about 30 minutes, 2 are probably 45 minutes but different directions. One is about 1.5 hours, 1 is 2 hours, and 2 are over 4 hours. The one 1.5 hours away and the two 4 hours away all have local relatives.

Sadly, my son was deferred from University of Chicago EA and will be reconsidered in Spring. Applying RD to MIT. He will be accepted early to one of our Florida Flagships, most likely with a full scholarship. He would have loved an offer from Chicago though.

My son always said he was going to apply to university of Chicago. Then he changed his mind. That's only 3 hours from here, so I wouldn't mind him going there if he could get in.

We toured another college in December and she didn't like it. Her newest SAT scores came in 20 points above her first one so that's better.

She also chose 2 others to tour. I was able to schedule one of them for early January but the other isn't scheduling tours right now. I'm hoping it will show up on their calendar in Jan. 2018.
She has also started on the essays for the common app. The essays she completed for her #1 choice are totally different than what she would need for any other colleges she applies for.

I'm still really hoping she'll get into her number 1 choice college on regular decision but I'm glad she has stepped up and is looking at other Georgia colleges.

My daughter was also deferred at U of C. Now she is trying to decide between University of Michigan and Michigan State. She also got into every other school she applied to (Ohio State, Michigan Tech, Wayne State, Oakland University). It seems that every school cost is pretty much the same, so we are hoping for some scholarship or merit money to help sway her decision. Not an easy choice. She was pretty much on the State bandwagon after the Chicago deferral, but after her Michigan acceptance she is now on that train, lol.

Well DD didn’t fill out her last application or do any scholarships over Christmas break. Not real happy about the scholarships since every little bit of $ will help, she did bring home some today though to apply to.
As far as last application I’m okay if she doesn’t. Lol she’s already been accepted to my favorite and won’t have to pay fee.

DD had a bit of a melt down last night. So scared she is going to pick wrong school. She found a website that listed all the good/bad things about each school and the bad freaked her out a bit.

Had a good talk and thankfully we have friends who went to 3 of the schools so will touch base with them to get their perspective and talking to counselor at school next week.
Thought a pro/con list would be good.
Hate seeing her stressed out over this.

Anyone else’s kids going through this? What did you do to help walk them through these decisions.

My daughter was also deferred at U of C. Now she is trying to decide between University of Michigan and Michigan State. She also got into every other school she applied to (Ohio State, Michigan Tech, Wayne State, Oakland University). It seems that every school cost is pretty much the same, so we are hoping for some scholarship or merit money to help sway her decision. Not an easy choice. She was pretty much on the State bandwagon after the Chicago deferral, but after her Michigan acceptance she is now on that train, lol.

My son was accepted to U of M too! Also Michigan tech. Those are the only 2 he applied to in Michigan. He got the presidential scholarship at Michigan tech. But it's still expensive! I'm really hoping he chooses U of M. His grandma was so excited when she heard. Lol. She lives over that way. We are in west Michigan, but U of M is still the closest he applied to. My niece graduated from Michigan State a year ago, and she loved it there. Unfortunately my DS has his sights on California. He's already been accepted to one school there, and is waiting on 2 other decisions. It's so far away!!

DD had a bit of a melt down last night. So scared she is going to pick wrong school. She found a website that listed all the good/bad things about each school and the bad freaked her out a bit.

Had a good talk and thankfully we have friends who went to 3 of the schools so will touch base with them to get their perspective and talking to counselor at school next week.

Anyone else’s kids going through this? What did you do to help walk them through these decisions.

My son is so not stressed that it's driving me crazy. He is so laid back. I'm the type of person who wants a plan for everything way in advance! I want to know where he's going to be. If we need to save vacation time to fly or drive him where he's going. (Possibly California!). I need to plan. His top 2 choices right now are 3 hours away or 36 hours away by car. He won't decide until he hears back from the rest, and he submitted 1 final application last week. So we probably won't know until March. As a person who stresses over everything, I think a pro/con list is very helpful. Also remember that you can always transfer if needed. A lot of kids do.

My son is so not stressed that it's driving me crazy. He is so laid back. I'm the type of person who wants a plan for everything way in advance! I want to know where he's going to be. If we need to save vacation time to fly or drive him where he's going. (Possibly California!). I need to plan. His top 2 choices right now are 3 hours away or 36 hours away by car. He won't decide until he hears back from the rest, and he submitted 1 final application last week. So we probably won't know until March. As a person who stresses over everything, I think a pro/con list is very helpful. Also remember that you can always transfer if needed. A lot of kids do.

Lol. I want to know too! Her last one won’t come until the latest of April 1st!

We will be in MA house hunting so hopefully she will make her decision by then so we can go see the school and buy her some swag!

Transfer is an option if there is room in nursing program which is hard enough as it is to get accepted.

I think by talking to our friends more about their personal experience at the 3 schools will carry a lot of weight. She looks up to all of the girls as mentors and big sisters.

Good luck to your son with his choice and hope it’s soon!

Since mine didn't get in to the school she wanted on early decision, she is very stressed about what to do. That's why I'm so glad she is up for visiting more colleges now.
I have told her to take some of the reviews about colleges with a grain of salt unless she sees a college that gets ONLY bad reviews. I told her it's all subjective to what the student thought they'd get out of it. Hopefully she will listen but I doubt it - she is a teenager after all. LOL

We don't have anyone to ask about Georgia colleges. All of our friends are from other states and that's where they went to college. Fun times. Can't wait for her to decide and be accepted someplace.

Since mine didn't get in to the school she wanted on early decision, she is very stressed about what to do. That's why I'm so glad she is up for visiting more colleges now.
I have told her to take some of the reviews about colleges with a grain of salt unless she sees a college that gets ONLY bad reviews. I told her it's all subjective to what the student thought they'd get out of it. Hopefully she will listen but I doubt it - she is a teenager after all. LOL

We don't have anyone to ask about Georgia colleges. All of our friends are from other states and that's where they went to college. Fun times. Can't wait for her to decide and be accepted someplace.

I told my DD that the bad reviews were probably kids thinking they were entitled or whiners lol

No school is going to be totally perfect either.

Hope she gets acceptance letters soon.

It does take pressure off when they are accepted even when it not first pick.

One more app and then D waits. Grateful for nice acceptances/merit so far but we need to see everything to make a final decision. Juggling final visits with school (and distance) is not going to be easy.

Hoping for acceptances (and financial feasibility) for everyone. And make memories! High school is going to be over for our 2018s soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter