Parents of Class of 2018 thread

We start the end of August but midterms at the high school are this week. For my daughter finals at her dual enrollment college were in December. For local scholarships they try to have them available in February so seniors can work on them over February vacation. We did a financial aid letter of appeal to one school and heard today that they don't look at them until March.

Spring session just started this week for dd for dual enrollment. So far she loves her classes. She should finish for the semester hopefully before all the fun high school senior activities start. School ends in mid June depending on snow days. However graduation date once they finish setting it is set. They are debating between dates of June 1-3rd.

Our schools have started after Labor Day for years because of a Michigan law. They had to apply for a waiver to start in August, and this year was the first time it was approved. I think a lot of families were caught off guard because they travel that last week before school starts, and they had already made plans. For me it just felt like summer was really short.

Our graduation date is May 24. Senior last day of school is May 18. Most seniors will be done earlier because they have exam exemptions. My DS won't do any of the fun senior activities. He's not very social. I keep suggesting that he should at least go to prom for the experience, but he's just not into it. He is going on a trip with the Spanish club to Spain this summer. So I'm happy he will get that experience.

DD had a bit of a melt down last night. So scared she is going to pick wrong school. She found a website that listed all the good/bad things about each school and the bad freaked her out a bit.

Had a good talk and thankfully we have friends who went to 3 of the schools so will touch base with them to get their perspective and talking to counselor at school next week.
Thought a pro/con list would be good.
Hate seeing her stressed out over this.

Anyone else’s kids going through this? What did you do to help walk them through these decisions.

My DS graduated in 2015, but for what it's worth, he spent 1 year at his absolute first choice, favorite school, and then transferred. What we told him all through the application process and during his 1st year is that "It's University, not prison". It's hard for fully grown adults to make major life decisions, for our kids, making these choices at 17 and 18 years old, it's a LOT to take in.

DS's decision to transfer was a combination of the school and classes being HUGE (he graduated HS in a class of 137, and had lecture hall classes with 250+), the party atmosphere was a LOT more than he thought it would be (he knew it was kind of a party school, did not know how much), and he desperately missed playing the sport he had played since he was 5 (original school was a D1 program, he's not at that level). The school he is at now is smaller, classes are smaller, most of the partying happens off campus, so he can choose to participate or not, and he's playing soccer again. So his factors were a combination of social, academic and athletics.

At the end of the day, he thought he knew what he wanted, but it turned out that he really wanted the exact opposite. :-) But as long as there are no dangers, I think sticking it out for a year and then transferring was the right decision for him.

Good Luck

Lots of MI talk-can I ask some questions? My 2019 kid is really interested in MI State and we are planning a trip there in February, weather permitting. He wants to major in computer science and has good stats. What could you tell me about the school and area? I know it's really large but what is the atmosphere like?

Thanks for any info! I'm really looking forward to taking him and hope we don't have to cancel for weather. Also, if you have any must see/eat/do, we'd love suggestions. We're planning to go to a hockey game and have a Saturday tour scheduled.

Thanks!
My family has lots of MSU alums, and I know it very well :flower:My oldest cousin graduated from MSU in computer science back in the late 80's, and started at Microsoft before they went public; their program has been great for a while. My DD 20 is a junior at MSU(dual degree- marine biology and conservation biology :rolleyes1) and she loves it. It's all in how involved you choose to be. MSU has a beautiful campus, and are very big on conservation (Go green, be green) The campus is large, but contained, and the town of East Lansing has many great restaurants. El Azteco and Beggar's Banquet are two amazing places, both have been around for years (They were there when I was a student in the 80s) Wharton Center on campus has many Broadway shows each year (Hello Hamilton 2019! :yay:) and students get discounted prices for certain events. You have to try to fit in a stop at the MSU dairy store, even though it will be cold, the ice cream is to die for! Football Saturdays are much fun, and my daughter is a member of the Izzone (basketball). There are over 500 clubs, large to small, your DS will find something to do that interests him.

Students can get a semester bus pass for $50, and that takes them anywhere the Lansing CATA goes, which is helpful. The dorms are large, but they have "neighborhoods", to make it seem smaller. It is large, but I don't think it feels that way. If you have any more questions, or need info on anything else, feel free to pm me, and I'll be glad to help. I also know Ann Arbor pretty well, as my DH is a Michigan grad, and we spend lots of time there too.:teeth:

Our schools have started after Labor Day for years because of a Michigan law. They had to apply for a waiver to start in August, and this year was the first time it was approved. I think a lot of families were caught off guard because they travel that last week before school starts, and they had already made plans. For me it just felt like summer was really short.

Our graduation date is May 24. Senior last day of school is May 18. Most seniors will be done earlier because they have exam exemptions. My DS won't do any of the fun senior activities. He's not very social. I keep suggesting that he should at least go to prom for the experience, but he's just not into it. He is going on a trip with the Spanish club to Spain this summer. So I'm happy he will get that experience.
Our DS17 graduates June 6. They did not start until after Labor Day, with sports we have to be back early anyway, it would have been nice to start before. He's been accepted at Michigan Tech and deferred at Michigan. He refused to apply to MSU (broke my heart :sad:), but that's his choice. He is doing Air Force ROTC, so we will see what happens with that. I am so not ready for two college kids!:crazy:

DD Started August 28 and graduates June 1

My DS graduated in 2015, but for what it's worth, he spent 1 year at his absolute first choice, favorite school, and then transferred. What we told him all through the application process and during his 1st year is that "It's University, not prison". It's hard for fully grown adults to make major life decisions, for our kids, making these choices at 17 and 18 years old, it's a LOT to take in.

DS's decision to transfer was a combination of the school and classes being HUGE (he graduated HS in a class of 137, and had lecture hall classes with 250+), the party atmosphere was a LOT more than he thought it would be (he knew it was kind of a party school, did not know how much), and he desperately missed playing the sport he had played since he was 5 (original school was a D1 program, he's not at that level). The school he is at now is smaller, classes are smaller, most of the partying happens off campus, so he can choose to participate or not, and he's playing soccer again. So his factors were a combination of social, academic and athletics.

At the end of the day, he thought he knew what he wanted, but it turned out that he really wanted the exact opposite. :-) But as long as there are no dangers, I think sticking it out for a year and then transferring was the right decision for him.

Good Luck

Happy your son was able to find the best place!!!

Heard through the grapevine that Northeastern is sending out emails....DD is trying to wait patiently!!!

Update.....

DD was deferred. So now she waits until 4/1 on the two deferred colleges.

Update.....

DD was deferred. So now she waits until 4/1 on the two deferred colleges.
The waiting is the hardest part. :hourglass DS doesn't care but it drives the planner in me nuts to be stuck in a holding pattern when everyone else is moving forward! Sending thoughts and pixie dust pixiedust: she gets in to where she really wants to (and is able to).

The waiting is the hardest part. :hourglass DS doesn't care but it drives the planner in me nuts to be stuck in a holding pattern when everyone else is moving forward! Sending thoughts and pixie dust pixiedust: she gets in to where she really wants to (and is able to).

Thank you! Yes waiting is so hard.
She has two acceptances. But the two deferred are her dream schools and alittle bit of a reach.

Finals next week and then we will regroup probably talk to her counselor for some insight.

Our schools here start back the first or second week of August. Graduation day is May 5.

It's hard to believe that half of their senior year is already over. So far my son seems to be on schedule for getting all the paperwork in order for College. He was accepted to the College he wanted (staying in state - LSU), got invited to the Spring Invitational for Orientation in April and just last night we were able to choose his roommate for his dorm. Which is a friend of his from High School. There is just so much to do and it is sometimes overwhelming for him but we're just taking it one day at a time. He is my third (and last) to go through this process. So exciting and sad all at the same time.

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear. I hope your kids get the responses they are hoping for.

We did the final college tour that my daughter decided on. It was a definite no way on that college. She hated the atmosphere and was annoyed with all the people who constantly stared at her violet hair and it wasn't in a good way. It was more like what a weirdo type looks. I didn't like that college either.

On the plus side she is now happy with her top 3 choices - 2 which she has already applied for. She got deferred on the UGA application but maybe she can still make it in.

She said she'll do the application for the 3rd one this weekend.

One of her friends has applied for several colleges without touring any of them. I thought that was a bit strange but everyone has their own way of doing things.

Our DS17 graduates June 6. They did not start until after Labor Day, with sports we have to be back early anyway, it would have been nice to start before. He's been accepted at Michigan Tech and deferred at Michigan. He refused to apply to MSU (broke my heart :sad:), but that's his choice. He is doing Air Force ROTC, so we will see what happens with that. I am so not ready for two college kids!:crazy:

Thanks so much for the MSU info! We go in 2 weeks and I’m excited to see how he likes it. So far it’s his first choice. We will definitely try the ice cream!

DD got into her 1st choice with enough merit to make it a real possibility! However, she may have to pick it sight unseen because it’s 1000 miles away, she’s used up too many days being sick, and has show choir many weekends. She’s been to the city and her sister lives there. She might have to base it on a sister review and video tour.

Honestly, it makes me a little nervous about the aid. The college thread on CC has other more qualified candidates getting deferred from EA. I hope she filled out her app correctly! Maybe our state was a factor because there can’t be too many applicants from here.

It’s hard because as a teacher, I look forward to summer. At the same time, it’s already going too fast and will be over in a flash.

My daughter has been talking to a bunch of girls from her college online.about 10 of them met up last weekend. Finalized plans for her roommate and their suite mates. It’s getting real! I’m excited for her!

We are still waiting too. DS has done some college tours in Michigan, but he won't be touring the out of state schools he applied to. If he chooses those it will be based on online information, and possibly speaking with current students. They keep calling him, and mailing him things. There just isn't any way we can take time off to visit 4 out of state schools. He isn't worried about it. I don't think he's going to make a decision until early April. It seems the 3 schools he is waiting to hear from release decisions at the end of March. The waiting is so hard! I'm a planner, and I can't stand not having this all planned out. He only received the financial aid letter from 2 schools so far, and the California school is by far a better offer.

I agree with StephMK. I can't wait for summer, but at the same time it's going too fast! This is my oldest child, so first time going through all this. I keep getting all emotional every time I think of him not being here. I was thinking at least we should stop receiving so much college mail on a daily basis now that most of the deadlines are past. Then I got the mail one day last week, and saw it was a college advertisement addressed to my youngest. I guess it's already starting for him. He's in 10th grade. Here we go again. Lol.

My son was accepted to one of the big Florida Public Universities and offered the Benacquisto Scholarship, as long as he makes National Merit Finalist. He finds that out in a week or two. He is still in the Regular Decision Pool for a couple of very hard to get into Private Colleges.

So we are going on the assumption that he will attend in state and have signed up for a Housing number and Orientation date.

Thanks so much for the MSU info! We go in 2 weeks and I’m excited to see how he likes it. So far it’s his first choice. We will definitely try the ice cream!

DD got into her 1st choice with enough merit to make it a real possibility! However, she may have to pick it sight unseen because it’s 1000 miles away, she’s used up too many days being sick, and has show choir many weekends. She’s been to the city and her sister lives there. She might have to base it on a sister review and video tour.

Honestly, it makes me a little nervous about the aid. The college thread on CC has other more qualified candidates getting deferred from EA. I hope she filled out her app correctly! Maybe our state was a factor because there can’t be too many applicants from here.

It’s hard because as a teacher, I look forward to summer. At the same time, it’s already going too fast and will be over in a flash.
Let me know if you need anything else, I'm there quite often to see DD:flower1:

Our school district does not even offer the National Merit Scholarship opportunity, isn't that based on your PSAT? I think my daughters STEM school did let like the first 15 kids to sign up for it take it, but that doesn't even seem like a fair amount of students. I had no idea what it was all about so didn't push her to get in on it. Our regular high school does not even have it. Is that strange or do others here have schools that don't participate too?

We are still waiting for financial aid package from one school, and a decision from my daughter's reach school after that deferral in December. She is waiting to find out about scholarship contests she has participated in the last couple of weeks, whether she won any money or not. I hope she did, that would be awesome. I still have not seen her try for any private scholarships of any kind.

Our school district does not even offer the National Merit Scholarship opportunity, isn't that based on your PSAT? I think my daughters STEM school did let like the first 15 kids to sign up for it take it, but that doesn't even seem like a fair amount of students. I had no idea what it was all about so didn't push her to get in on it. Our regular high school does not even have it. Is that strange or do others here have schools that don't participate too?

We are still waiting for financial aid package from one school, and a decision from my daughter's reach school after that deferral in December. She is waiting to find out about scholarship contests she has participated in the last couple of weeks, whether she won any money or not. I hope she did, that would be awesome. I still have not seen her try for any private scholarships of any kind.
Our school has every single 9th grader and 10th grader take the PSAT, and every junior takes the SAT. School pays,and it’s during the school day.
My daughter hasn’t applied for any other scholarships other than the one she got from the school..better get on that!

We are still waiting too. DS has done some college tours in Michigan, but he won't be touring the out of state schools he applied to. If he chooses those it will be based on online information, and possibly speaking with current students. They keep calling him, and mailing him things. There just isn't any way we can take time off to visit 4 out of state schools. He isn't worried about it. I don't think he's going to make a decision until early April. It seems the 3 schools he is waiting to hear from release decisions at the end of March. The waiting is so hard! I'm a planner, and I can't stand not having this all planned out. He only received the financial aid letter from 2 schools so far, and the California school is by far a better offer.

I agree with StephMK. I can't wait for summer, but at the same time it's going too fast! This is my oldest child, so first time going through all this. I keep getting all emotional every time I think of him not being here. I was thinking at least we should stop receiving so much college mail on a daily basis now that most of the deadlines are past. Then I got the mail one day last week, and saw it was a college advertisement addressed to my youngest. I guess it's already starting for him. He's in 10th grade. Here we go again. Lol.

It is so hard to wait! Good luck to him that he is happy with his choices! I’m a planner too and in overload right now. At least you’ll have some direction for your next DS. I told our oldest,DD24, that she was the guinea pig kid!

Between trying to help DD(Sr) with the college choice and steer DS(Jr) into doing research on colleges to visit, it’s hard while also teaching FT. I’m glad to hear other parents will be having kids make a decision without visiting. We were in the same city but the college was not on our radar at all.

Let me know if you need anything else, I'm there quite often to see DD:flower1:
Thank you! I found out we can go on an Engineering Dept(comp sc) tour while there so I’m happy about that. He needs to contact the Honors dept to get info and we’ll get hockey tickets when I’m sure we won’t get snowed out of our flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter