Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Are you doing anything to celebrate? Dd will be done in a week, but start her masters in January, walk in May, so it didn’t occur to me to do anything. Right now seems so anticlimactic.

Congrats mjkacmom! We aren't doing anything to celebrate. He is getting a new phone for a graduation/Christmas present. It is anticlimactic, I agree. :)

Congrats mjkacmom! We aren't doing anything to celebrate. He is getting a new phone for a graduation/Christmas present. It is anticlimactic, I agree. :)

I actually love that idea. DD would probably love and get more use from a new iphone than she would a party.

However, I feel obligated to host a brunch/lunch after the ceremony in May to thank all those who are traveling in to attend. No one lives close to her college town and all are traveling 4 to 5 hours and getting a hotel the night before in order to attend the 8 am ceremony. She also has had 2 great bosses who have really enhanced her time in college so I want to thank them. A meal for 20 is going to be costly, for sure.

High school grad, I hosted a party at our house so much more cost effective and in line with our normal entertaining expenses.

What do others think?

I actually love that idea. DD would probably love and get more use from a new iphone than she would a party.

However, I feel obligated to host a brunch/lunch after the ceremony in May to thank all those who are traveling in to attend. No one lives close to her college town and all are traveling 4 to 5 hours and getting a hotel the night before in order to attend the 8 am ceremony. She also has had 2 great bosses who have really enhanced her time in college so I want to thank them. A meal for 20 is going to be costly, for sure.

High school grad, I hosted a party at our house so much more cost effective and in line with our normal entertaining expenses.

What do others think?
Dd’s college is 40 minutes from here, so it will just be us and my IL’s attending, so I figured we would just go out to eat after (although her graduating class is HUGE, and I don’t know what graduation she will walk at, regular, business or both). Now that I’m think of it, reservations will be hard to come by, even though she’s in a smaller city.

I think your plan sounds great, we didn’t do anything for our HS graduated, very little family nearby. Maybe we will go out to dinner when dd21 and ds19 have a break next month. She is paying me $30 a month for her 4 month old iPhone, maybe I’ll tell her to stop paying me as her gift.

What do others think?

This kid didn't walk for HS graduation. He says he'll walk for college but I won't believe it until it happens. For HS we went to lunch with my parents. Not sure what we'll do, if anything, for this go around.

I think you're idea for brunch/lunch sounds lovely.

So fun to hear what everyone is up to! Congrats to the early grads!!
And yikes to the poor car story, adulting is hard :-(.
My dd doesn't know if she wants to walk, she is leaning towards no, which is totally fine. We wouldn't be having a party either way, we did the big party for high school. We would go to dinner with the grandparents, but nothing huge I don't think. It does appear she is going to move home after graduation, at least for the time being. Of course I am so heartbroken by this...NOT.
She did get an email from a professor the other day asking if she has thought about grad school. She had briefly but then thought no. But now, maybe she is thinking again. I just don't know if grad school is useful for a film/creative writing major?? We made it through 4 years with no loans, I would hate to wrack up a whole bunch of debt for her now, for a career that might now pay really well.

DD is driving home this morning for what is likely her last extended holiday break at home. This time next year, she should be working in the real world.

We've been very lucky through these college years that she works for a ballet studio that follows their local school district's calendar so she's able to have all the breaks- this year 3 weeks. We're looking forward to lots of chilling out.

I should add, this holiday break will be much more relaxing than last year! Last year we were prepping her to move for England for 5 months, which consumed the entire break and was exciting, but stressful. This year, no work, and no moving overseas!

I picked DD up from school yesterday afternoon, she told me "I haven't slept in like a month" and fell asleep in the car on the way home. When we got home, she brought her things in the house and went to bed. She slept for like 16 hours. She brought home a lot of work to do over break, she's doing the lighting design for a production next semester as part of her Honors Thesis, and she said that will take most of the time she has during break. She also has to prepare a presentation for a Theater competition that she is going to in late January. Next semester should be easy for her academically: one lanugage class (latin), her thesis, which will be finished by early March, intro to piano and one computer programming class.

I just wrote the last check for the University this morning. So thrilled that she is graduating with no loans. Now if only she can find a job. Fingers crossed.

Because C-Stat is so small, it's ridiculously expensive and difficult to get a room there during big events. DD's boyfriend's mom (and my good friend) has had several rooms booked since Summer. They are all refundable and the unneeded days can be cancelled once his date is released. I booked Bryan as College Station was already really booked up and expensive when I thought of grabbing a booking that could be cancelled or changed. We stayed at Cavalry Court for Ring Day and loved it but it was already way too much for the grad days.

When we visited our son in College Station in the past, we noticed that the hotels would charge double the weekend they had big events. It was crazy expensive.

Poor dd is struggling to make ends meet. She got into a horrible car accident a couple of months ago which totaled her car (it was a miracle she survived with just scratches and bruises, thank goodness for health insurance since the trauma center costs were over $20,000). Without a car, she’s been picking up fewer shifts at the restaurant she works at, having to rely on her boyfriend or Uber, and can’t save for a car while paying rent. She could do her Masters at a campus closer to home and commute, but it’s a lesser program (even though it’s the same university). Unfortunately this was the second vehicle she totaled this year, we already gave her the first one and paid for half of the second one. Adulting is hard.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's accident! I am glad she wasn't severely hurt. I am sure that was very scary.

Hi Everyone. It's official I am no longer a parent of the class of 2018 because DS finished up his college career last week. Yep, he is graduating a semester early. His school doesn't have winter ceremonies so he will walk on May 4. Hard to believe my son has a bachelors degree.

He also found a part time job in his field and is planning to take a couple classes next semester that will count toward his masters in social work program that will start next fall. We did it!!!

My next big year is 2020, three probable graduations, high school, college and grad school. That could be fun. :)

Good luck to everyone as they near the finish line....

Congratulations to your son! It's too bad his school doesn't have a winter ceremony so he could go ahead and walk. It sounds like you will have a big year in 2020. That's a lot of graduations in one year.

Are you doing anything to celebrate? Dd will be done in a week, but start her masters in January, walk in May, so it didn’t occur to me to do anything. Right now seems so anticlimactic.

Congratulations to your daughter too!

I should add, this holiday break will be much more relaxing than last year! Last year we were prepping her to move for England for 5 months, which consumed the entire break and was exciting, but stressful. This year, no work, and no moving overseas!

What an incredible experience. That must have been amazing for her.

I picked DD up from school yesterday afternoon, she told me "I haven't slept in like a month" and fell asleep in the car on the way home. When we got home, she brought her things in the house and went to bed. She slept for like 16 hours. She brought home a lot of work to do over break, she's doing the lighting design for a production next semester as part of her Honors Thesis, and she said that will take most of the time she has during break. She also has to prepare a presentation for a Theater competition that she is going to in late January. Next semester should be easy for her academically: one lanugage class (latin), her thesis, which will be finished by early March, intro to piano and one computer programming class.

I just wrote the last check for the University this morning. So thrilled that she is graduating with no loans. Now if only she can find a job. Fingers crossed.

It sounds like she was exhausted! My son said this semester has been exhausting for him too. I thought his senior year would be easier, but he's been busier than ever. What will her presentation in January for the theater competition? That sounds exciting.

What do others think?

A brunch ceremony sounds perfect. Are you getting estimates from local restaurants? Hopefully, you can find something affordable. Since it is lunch and not dinner, that will help keep the cost down.

It sounds like she was exhausted! My son said this semester has been exhausting for him too. I thought his senior year would be easier, but he's been busier than ever. What will her presentation in January for the theater competition? That sounds exciting.

She did the lighting design for one of the theater department productions earlier this year, and she has to do a presentation about why she designed it the way she did, show her plots and answer questions about it. She did it last year for a different production, but didn't do very well in the competition because had no idea what to expect and probably wasn't as well prepared as she could have been. But it was a good learning experience for her, and hopefully she'll do better this year.

A brunch ceremony sounds perfect. Are you getting estimates from local restaurants? Hopefully, you can find something affordable. Since it is lunch and not dinner, that will help keep the cost down.

No estimates. In her college town, very few restaurants will even take a reservation on grad day. I was planning on booking a meeting room at the hotel and then hiring a caterer. When I started checking favorite restaurants for catering, I saw that this favorite had just opened a private room. This seems so much easier since I won't have to decorate, arrange catering, etc...

Poor dd is struggling to make ends meet. She got into a horrible car accident a couple of months ago which totaled her car (it was a miracle she survived with just scratches and bruises, thank goodness for health insurance since the trauma center costs were over $20,000). Without a car, she’s been picking up fewer shifts at the restaurant she works at, having to rely on her boyfriend or Uber, and can’t save for a car while paying rent. She could do her Masters at a campus closer to home and commute, but it’s a lesser program (even though it’s the same university). Unfortunately this was the second vehicle she totaled this year, we already gave her the first one and paid for half of the second one. Adulting is hard.

I'm so sorry about the car accidents. I'm glad your DD was not seriously hurt. My DS was in an accident (his 2nd one in after having one a year ago), but nothing serious and he wasn't hurt. The repairs and expenses add up though. We told him that he is on his own next time so he needs to stop following cars too close.

Hi Everyone. It's official I am no longer a parent of the class of 2018 because DS finished up his college career last week. Yep, he is graduating a semester early. His school doesn't have winter ceremonies so he will walk on May 4. Hard to believe my son has a bachelors degree.

He also found a part time job in his field and is planning to take a couple classes next semester that will count toward his masters in social work program that will start next fall. We did it!!!

My next big year is 2020, three probable graduations, high school, college and grad school. That could be fun. :)

Good luck to everyone as they near the finish line....

Congrats on your DS's early graduation!! It must feel nice for him to be all done and early to boot! Best of luck to him with grad school!!

DD finally has the MCAT exam behind her. She won't get her results until next month, but she feels like she did as well as she expected herself to on test day. What a relief! She was studying 9-10 hours a day since the week before Thanksgiving on top of her 15 credit hours. She said her class studying now is nothing compared to studying she had to do for the MCAT. She will submit her medical school application when the cycle opens on June 1st. As soon as she gets her exam score, she will have a better idea of which schools to apply to (based on their mean GPA/MCAT scores). She will probably be applying to at least 20 schools in the hopes of gaining at least one acceptance.

Hang in there! Only a few more months to go!!!

How is everyone doing during the last home stretch? I'm on spring break this week, so thought I'd post an update. We just ordered DD's graduation announcements and cap/gown today, so it's getting real! Didn't we just do this recently with high school?? Honestly, where has the time gone??? DD herself said she can't believe she is graduating from college in 7 weeks. She said that high school seemed to drag on, but college went by so fast, until now, that is!

She took the MCAT exam in January and did very well. She is so glad to not have to study for that test any longer. Now that that exam is behind her, senioritis has definitely kicked in!! I hope everyone's kids are doing well and aren't suffering too much from this "disease" like my DD is! :charac2::tongue:

How is everyone doing during the last home stretch? I'm on spring break this week, so thought I'd post an update. We just ordered DD's graduation announcements and cap/gown today, so it's getting real! Didn't we just do this recently with high school?? Honestly, where has the time gone??? DD herself said she can't believe she is graduating from college in 7 weeks. She said that high school seemed to drag on, but college went by so fast, until now, that is!

She took the MCAT exam in January and did very well. She is so glad to not have to study for that test any longer. Now that that exam is behind her, senioritis has definitely kicked in!! I hope everyone's kids are doing well and aren't suffering too much from this "disease" like my DD is! :charac2::tongue:

So you are doing announcements? I mentioned something about them in another thread and the overwhelming response seemed to be don't do it. DD wants to anyway and is taking photos for them on Friday. I'll only send them to family and close friends- people who would really want to know that she's done and what is next.

Will you have any type of party? Most seemed negative on that to. We are having a brunch in the college town for those who traveled to attend. Probably 15-20 total.

Honestly, it was a bit weird to me that most seem to celebrate high school grad (the bare minimum really) but were negative on celebrating college.

DD is definitely ready. She's sending out resumes and filling out apps online. She and her boyfriend (the same one from high school- they have made it through 4 years long distance) are moving to a new city together. Five hours from her college town but closer to home. He already has a job. They went on a fact finding mission Spring Break and are going back in late April to rent a place.

She's ready- I'm ready- she just needs a job to come through.

Has your DD applied to med school? One of DD's friends is graduating next month too and started med school in July. He was wait listed at his top choice but got in a backup. He's still hopeful on the top choice. Good luck to her!

So you are doing announcements? I mentioned something about them in another thread and the overwhelming response seemed to be don't do it. DD wants to anyway and is taking photos for them on Friday. I'll only send them to family and close friends- people who would really want to know that she's done and what is next.

Will you have any type of party? Most seemed negative on that to. We are having a brunch in the college town for those who traveled to attend. Probably 15-20 total.

Honestly, it was a bit weird to me that most seem to celebrate high school grad (the bare minimum really) but were negative on celebrating college.

DD is definitely ready. She's sending out resumes and filling out apps online. She and her boyfriend (the same one from high school- they have made it through 4 years long distance) are moving to a new city together. Five hours from her college town but closer to home. He already has a job. They went on a fact finding mission Spring Break and are going back in late April to rent a place.

She's ready- I'm ready- she just needs a job to come through.

Has your DD applied to med school? One of DD's friends is graduating next month too and started med school in July. He was wait listed at his top choice but got in a backup. He's still hopeful on the top choice. Good luck to her!

We've received several college announcements over the years, so yes, we are doing them. But we are going with the more traditional announcements (school embossed emblem, degree earned, etc..) this time vs the photo postcard announcement that we did when she graduated from high school. We ordered a "mini" package of 15 announcements and will send them to family and a few close friends and will have one as a keepsake to go with a cap/gown photo on graduation day.

DD and her boyfriend are leaving the day after graduation for a 2 week trip to Thailand, so DD didn't want a party on graduation day. DS works at a nice restaurant and can get us a deal on food and can reserve an area for our group in a beautiful outdoor patio area. So we will go there for lunch since the grad ceremony is at 9:00am. Her school is quite large, so I expect the ceremony to take more than a couple of hours.

DD will submit her med school primary application on June 1st which is the first day of submission and is 3 days after she returns from her trip. She is working on writing her personal statement right now so that it will be ready. She will probably be applying to 20-23 schools which means a lot of essays! Therefore, next year will be a gap year for her while the application cycle plays out which can take months to get even one acceptance. If she gets accepted somewhere, she will matriculate in late summer of 2019.

That is great that your DD's friend got an acceptance! Hopefully that first choice waitlist will come through for him, but if not, at least he is in! So many applicants don't get in at all. DD's friend had two acceptances last year and then got in off the waitlist at a top 10 school at the end of May, so it can happen! It's such a long, drawn out process. That's great that your DD will be a little closer to home and that she and her BF weathered the college years apart from each other much of the time.

I'm sure your DD will land a great job soon. How exciting for the two of them to finally be together starting their careers! It's bittersweet though knowing they are finally moved out for good. DS is a freshman this year at our local community college, so we aren't empty nesters yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter