Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Dd finished in December, but will walk in May, I have no idea what we will do to celebrate. Her apartment lease is up in May, and she needs money (needs to buy a car, since she totaled two this year). So, she is going to be my dad’s caretaker (Alzheimer’s) since we need to terminate his current one anyway. She will take summer classes for her masters, but will commute the 45 minutes. We are going to her big graduation (huge), I’m not sure if she is going to the business school graduation. It will be nice to have her back in town since she hasn’t lived at home in two years. She will move away again in January when she starts her accounting job (after hopefully passing the CPA).

We've received several college announcements over the years, so yes, we are doing them. But we are going with the more traditional announcements (school embossed emblem, degree earned, etc..) this time vs the photo postcard announcement that we did when she graduated from high school. We ordered a "mini" package of 15 announcements and will send them to family and a few close friends and will have one as a keepsake to go with a cap/gown photo on graduation day.

DD and her boyfriend are leaving the day after graduation for a 2 week trip to Thailand, so DD didn't want a party on graduation day. DS works at a nice restaurant and can get us a deal on food and can reserve an area for our group in a beautiful outdoor patio area. So we will go there for lunch since the grad ceremony is at 9:00am. Her school is quite large, so I expect the ceremony to take more than a couple of hours.

DD will submit her med school primary application on June 1st which is the first day of submission and is 3 days after she returns from her trip. She is working on writing her personal statement right now so that it will be ready. She will probably be applying to 20-23 schools which means a lot of essays! Therefore, next year will be a gap year for her while the application cycle plays out which can take months to get even one acceptance. If she gets accepted somewhere, she will matriculate in late summer of 2019.

That is great that your DD's friend got an acceptance! Hopefully that first choice waitlist will come through for him, but if not, at least he is in! So many applicants don't get in at all. DD's friend had two acceptances last year and then got in off the waitlist at a top 10 school at the end of May, so it can happen! It's such a long, drawn out process. That's great that your DD will be a little closer to home and that she and her BF weathered the college years apart from each other much of the time.

I'm sure your DD will land a great job soon. How exciting for the two of them to finally be together starting their careers! It's bittersweet though knowing they are finally moved out for good. DS is a freshman this year at our local community college, so we aren't empty nesters yet.

DD's school is also large and she is in the 8 am ceremony. They have many ceremonies over three days so I've been told that they are only about 1.5 hours each.

A trip to Thailand! How exciting! DD would have loved to plan something like that but her BF has a job lined up so trips will wait.

Yes, med school admission is super stressful. My niece's boyfriend did the gap year and didn't get in so he is starting PA school in the fall. And a good friend's dd is doing a year long grad school program before trying a second time for med school admission. They both only applied in state so not as many aps as your DD. Good luck to her!

It is so hard to believe we are almost there. DD graduates 6 weeks from this Friday. I can still remember the day I dropped her off, and how hard I cried, like it was yesterday. Now I don't cry at all when she leaves to go back LOL.

Earlier in the year, she was not interested in walking the ceremony, but last week she changed her mind. I had told her it was totally her choice, and didn't care one way or the other. But now that she has decided to, I realized I did want her to LOL. We are not doing any announcements or having a party. Its not the norm here, so never really thought about it. Her ceremony is at 10am, so we will go to lunch after with my FIL and his wife, and that's it. Then I will stay the weekend to help her start packing. Can't wait to get that crappy hole they live in behind us LOL. It's such a dump!

Right now, she doesn't have any plans yet after. Clearly she will need to get a job, but majoring in film production and English writing, that may take some work to find her path. My 25 year old ds still lives at home, so we will be back to a full house by June.

Her big senior thing is her senior film. She is the writer and the director. They suffered a HUGE issue back at the very end of January on their second day filming, when one of the cast quit on them an hour before they were to film. It was her first day to film, her character wasn't in what they filmed the first day. It was terrible. They had to cancel and hold new auditions, and then had to try to get everyone and everyplace rescheduled. They FINALLY finished shooting last Saturday, but it's been kinda stressful and of course now they are on a pretty short scheduled to get the editing all done.

It's been fun keeping in touch with everyone, and I look forward to hearing more on graduations and future plans, and hearing updates once they are done and moved on from this 4 years.

It is so hard to believe we are almost there. DD graduates 6 weeks from this Friday. I can still remember the day I dropped her off, and how hard I cried, like it was yesterday. Now I don't cry at all when she leaves to go back LOL.

Earlier in the year, she was not interested in walking the ceremony, but last week she changed her mind. I had told her it was totally her choice, and didn't care one way or the other. But now that she has decided to, I realized I did want her to LOL. We are not doing any announcements or having a party. Its not the norm here, so never really thought about it. Her ceremony is at 10am, so we will go to lunch after with my FIL and his wife, and that's it. Then I will stay the weekend to help her start packing. Can't wait to get that crappy hole they live in behind us LOL. It's such a dump!

Right now, she doesn't have any plans yet after. Clearly she will need to get a job, but majoring in film production and English writing, that may take some work to find her path. My 25 year old ds still lives at home, so we will be back to a full house by June.

Her big senior thing is her senior film. She is the writer and the director. They suffered a HUGE issue back at the very end of January on their second day filming, when one of the cast quit on them an hour before they were to film. It was her first day to film, her character wasn't in what they filmed the first day. It was terrible. They had to cancel and hold new auditions, and then had to try to get everyone and everyplace rescheduled. They FINALLY finished shooting last Saturday, but it's been kinda stressful and of course now they are on a pretty short scheduled to get the editing all done.

It's been fun keeping in touch with everyone, and I look forward to hearing more on graduations and future plans, and hearing updates once they are done and moved on from this 4 years.

OMG, how stressful for your DD! I suppose things that happen like that come with the territory, but still stressful nonetheless. How long is her film and will it be on YouTube? I’d love to see it if you can pm me a link when it is all finished. A first film is a major accomplishment!!!

Does your DD live in an area that does lots of film production, or is she considering moving to such an area? I sometimes hear of people in my area who get entry level jobs in film industry and then work their way up. A co-worker’s husband had gone back to school to take some coursework in film production and halfway through the semester of his first class he was offered a filming job and dropped out of school to take the job. He has since worked his way up and is doing quite well. Good luck to your DD!

So, how many of our kids our done and graduated already? Dd was done with classes last Tuesday, but the ceremony isn't till this Friday morning.
We will go up for the ceremony, and then I will stay all weekend to help pack up her apartment. Then we will go back the following Saturday with a trailer to move her home. Then I guess she tries to find a job and start life LOL.
I cannot believe how fast it all went.

So, how many of our kids our done and graduated already? Dd was done with classes last Tuesday, but the ceremony isn't till this Friday morning.
We will go up for the ceremony, and then I will stay all weekend to help pack up her apartment. Then we will go back the following Saturday with a trailer to move her home. Then I guess she tries to find a job and start life LOL.
I cannot believe how fast it all went.

DD has two finals tomorrow and then she's done. As she said, "Tomorrow is my last day of school, FOREVER!"

I saw her this weekend as she and I met up with my sister and niece in Tulsa to see Justin Timberlake in concert. We had a blast. She and my niece have seen every JT concert together since we took them to the last NSYNC tour. It was a long drive for me but only 2 - 4 hours for everyone else so Tulsa it was. I dropped off packing boxes and a tape gun for DD. That's my contribution to helping her pack.

We leave Thursday to meet her in College Station to attend her boyfriend's graduation from TAMU on Friday. We'll leave right after to drive 3 hours to meet family for dinner and then DD's cermony Saturday morning. We'll load her apartment Sunday. She and DH, her boyfriend, and his dad are hauling it all to San Antonio where they have rented a house and will start their new fully grown up lives next Monday.

DD graduated on Saturday. She had a blast. It was a fun weekend. We were a group of 18 with family members and friends from many states.

Started off Friday with a party at the on campus pub where she worked for the last two years. They were only open to seniors and their families. Then we went to the Baccalaureate Mass which was lovely, contemporary, inclusive and intimate even though it was in the gym. Then onto the party hosted by the University on campus outside. The school went all out, with entertainment decor, food, dancing, lighting, it was amazing. Then off to bed and up early for the 9 am graduation. They changed the format of the graduation this year, limited the timing on the speeches and had the kids come to the stage from two sides, they kept it moving and we were done before noon. Then off to our DD's house where 7 of the 8 residents were graduating. They had food, drink and a bouncy house. Then we headed home for a quick nap where we rested for an hour or so, then headed to the party for our DD which we had on the patio of a hotel walking distance. There were about 60 people who stopped by. We were home by 10 pm. DD and friends were still out and about until after 2:30 am. Then Sunday 4 of our guests who did not have early flights came over for breakfast at our condo, our DD and boyfriend joined us as well. Dinner was sushi at the condo with the last 3 guests and DD who went home at 9 pm. It seems so quiet today.

DD has been auditioning and has one gig booked this month. She will also be continuing her acting and comedy training at several professional studios as well as keeping up her dance training. She has a busy month with several college graduations here and at home, the gig is out of town, and her Uncles 80th birthday party, and a cousin's high school graduation she will be on the go the whole month. She has to move out of her house by the end of the month. She is looking for an apartment with another girlfriend from her department. And so it begins...

Last edited:

She just finished up the first half of her masters, one if her waitressing jobs is gone, they went out of business. Their lease is up at the end of the month, she is moving back to our town to take on a job bring my dad’s caretaker while commuting 45 minutes each way to summer classes. She will be studying for her CPA as well, her job offer in January is contingent on that. She’ll be getting paid $1000 a week staying with my dad, so she can pay back a car loan. Graduation is Sunday morning, it’s huge, we have a parking pass and will need to walk about a mile and take a shuttle to the stadium. Afterwards we will just drive home, the area will be mobbed. We will celebrate the following Sunday at her brother and sister’s confirmation dinner, she is her brother’s sponsor.

I’m planning on sending ds20 to her house to help her move back. She will need to move back to the area in December, we’ll worry about that later. She’s nervous about living with my dad, but it’s a big house and has a built in pool.

Not mine - he's still got another year because he got bad advice from an adviser and then didn't check it out himself. He didn't take a full load all 4 years either. Sigh.

So now next year we'll be really broke - our youngest starts college. We told her to make sure to take a full load of classes and not to take her advisers word on things - check it out herself. At least she has a scholarship that will partially pay for her tuition for hopefully the next 4 years as long as she keeps her grades up.

To add to the fun - my husband got laid off work so now we have to live off the business we own. That was the money we were using to pay for kids college. So we shall see how it all goes - he wants to grow the business even more since he hasn't been able to get even one job interview. I guess his age is working against him - we are in our 50's.

Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.

Glad quite a few of you have graduates!

Youngest DS graduates Memorial Day weekend! VERY EXCITED!:cheer2: YAY, LAST rent payment made for off campus house.:banana: Continuing Masters of Accounting ON LINE at home for the next year, 30 credits, but there will be no room and board payments, "almost there". He has an Audit position waiting for him Sept. '19 in NYC..summer of '19 will be spent studying for CPA Exam. CONGRATS to all the graduates!party:

She just finished up the first half of her masters, one if her waitressing jobs is gone, they went out of business. Their lease is up at the end of the month, she is moving back to our town to take on a job bring my dad’s caretaker while commuting 45 minutes each way to summer classes. She will be studying for her CPA as well, her job offer in January is contingent on that. She’ll be getting paid $1000 a week staying with my dad, so she can pay back a car loan. Graduation is Sunday morning, it’s huge, we have a parking pass and will need to walk about a mile and take a shuttle to the stadium. Afterwards we will just drive home, the area will be mobbed. We will celebrate the following Sunday at her brother and sister’s confirmation dinner, she is her brother’s sponsor.

I’m planning on sending ds20 to her house to help her move back. She will need to move back to the area in December, we’ll worry about that later. She’s nervous about living with my dad, but it’s a big house and has a built in pool.
BEST OF LUCK to your daughter completing the Masters and the CPA Exam!!!:thumbsup2:wave2:

BEST OF LUCK to your daughter completing the Masters and the CPA Exam!!!:thumbsup2:wave2:
Back at you! Her last semester was through her university but online, she was home for a few weeks recovering from an injury, those classes were tough and a lot of work.i expected her to move back home and work in the city, but will end up living away again.

Back at you! Her last semester was through her university but online, she was home for a few weeks recovering from an injury, those classes were tough and a lot of work.i expected her to move back home and work in the city, but will end up living away again.
Thanks! Hopefully she recovers fully and continues to "keep at it!". The curriculum is tough!:eek:

DD finishes her last exam on Thursday. Graduation is not until the 19th, but she has decided not to participate in the ceremony, and we are okay with that. We did go to Honors Convocation last week and saw her get her honors awards.

She has a summer job at a Theater program in the NYC area for 8 weeks as a Master Electrician. She will be home for a couple weeks and has a gig lined up with a local theater then, and starting on Labor Day she has a 9 month contract to be an apprentice to the Master Electrician at a local-ish regional theater. That job includes almost no money, but does providde free housing, so it's all good.

Her current plan is to work for three years then go back to school and get her MFA in Theatrical Lighting Design.

Today I went down to see her on campus and get a bunch of stuff from her apartment. Tomorrow we'll do the bulk of her move out. I'm looking forward to having her home again for a couple weeks.

Graduation is Sunday at 10, in the rain, in a stadium, in the 50’s. Only clear gallon bags and tiny purses let in (my gallon bag is filled with dollar store ponchos). No umbrellas, which is an issue since there will be a mile walk involved, and shuttle waits. Getting on the road at 7 am.

Not mine - he's still got another year because he got bad advice from an adviser and then didn't check it out himself. He didn't take a full load all 4 years either. Sigh.

So now next year we'll be really broke - our youngest starts college. We told her to make sure to take a full load of classes and not to take her advisers word on things - check it out herself. At least she has a scholarship that will partially pay for her tuition for hopefully the next 4 years as long as she keeps her grades up.

To add to the fun - my husband got laid off work so now we have to live off the business we own. That was the money we were using to pay for kids college. So we shall see how it all goes - he wants to grow the business even more since he hasn't been able to get even one job interview. I guess his age is working against him - we are in our 50's.

Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.

Glad quite a few of you have graduates!

Hang in there! His day will be here before you know it. I'm sorry to hear about the finances with two kids in college. Hopefully your DH's business will grow now that he can focus on just that!

DD graduated a little over two weeks ago and then left for Thailand with her bf the next morning. They're arriving back in two days (Wednesday). She was so glad to be done!! She was able to stay on at her research job as an independent contractor (with a nice raise) during her gap year She'll be submitting her med school application when she gets back. It was up in the air whether or not she'd get to keep her job as a non-student because the research project's primary investigator is moving to a different university across the country this summer. Thankfully, it all worked out.

It's been a fun 8 years on this thread! We did it, folks!!! Here's a photo of my very happy college graduate.
32349306_10215063544957789_6628110998542745600_n.jpg

Youngest and last DS, a college grad now!:cool1: Yipee, he did it, so proud and happy for him. He is moving on to a Masters in Accounting, 30 additional credits mandatory required , which he needs to sit for and prepare him for CPA exam.:goodvibes

Today was DD's 22nd birthday and she got the best gift ever- The official offer letter for her new job. She will be a Marketing Assistant at the corporate headquarters of a financial institution. She is super excited. Almost as excited as me when I read the letter and saw the benefits package. My youngest is officially off the payroll and can be dropped from my insurance in 60 days giving me a big raise. That's not thunder- it's DH and I happy dancing!:dogdance::yay::yay:

Seriously so proud and happy for her.

Congrats to all of you! :cheer2:BEST of luck to her in her new position! :woohoo:"One more year" of insurance for DS while doing his masters, but he already has a job offer in Audit in NYC Sept of '19. SO PROUD and excited as our youngest embarks on a career and we become official empty nesters!:goodvibes:cool1::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter