Parents of little ones - best leak proof straw cup?

poohs_hunny

DIS Veteran
As all little ones, my 12 month old DD loves to shake her cup and throw it on the floor. With water, it's not that big of a deal if it leaks, but I want to start putting her milk into a straw cup instead of a bottle. So far, I've tried Avent which are just OK and Dr. Brown's which was so bad I'm returning it. Before I buy a bunch more and waste money, what has worked best for your kids? Which would you NOT recommend? Thanks!

i never used straw cups for milk b/c i was paranoid about getting all the dairy out of the straw so my suggestion would be a traditional sippy cup. in my experience if a little one has the coordination to suck through a straw they can suck through the mouth piece of a sippy cup.

I would give the Miracle Cup a try. https://www.munchkin.com/miracle-360-10oz-cup.html

Spouted cups like sippy cups aren't recommended anymore typically because the positioning of tongue can cause delays in oral motor development, not that they're the end of the world but if you daughter can manage another cup type it might be worth a try!

I would give the Miracle Cup a try. https://www.munchkin.com/miracle-360-10oz-cup.html

Spouted cups like sippy cups aren't recommended anymore typically because the positioning of tongue can cause delays in oral motor development, not that they're the end of the world but if you daughter can manage another cup type it might be worth a try!

i had'nt heard that (but my kids are older so...). it's funny though-w/ds he had an issue with pronunciation when he was little and the speech pathologist who evaluated him said before we set up therapy to take him off his strawed cup and either have him use a sippy or regular. we gave him a sippy and w/in a couple months all the pronunciation issues were gone.

i guess they don't care about adults and oral motor skills-i'm freaking sick of getting given spouted cups at every coffee place these days (i was to drink it not sippy it!).

We like Munchkin. We did notice that after 7 months the hole in the straws preventing leaks “wore out” most likely from using the cleaning brush, but 7 months of constant use was still a good value on the cup.

While we did use some sippy cups, DD was given a cup at the table and expected to drink it there during the meal. If she shook it, played with it, etc. -- it was taken away and the meal ended. Other than water, beverages were not routinely carried around; it was served at the table. We didn't worry much about spill-proof.

Good luck, we never found one that worked for us. I ended up having a rule that the kids could walk around with water, but anything else lived at the kitchen table and they were free to go and drink there. Plus it kept mine from filling up on milk, juice, etc and not eating meals.

My youngest are 15, but I just threw out the tops of our Tupperware lid straw cups, amazing. They are still resistent, not like a sipoy cup, but saved many messes.

My daughter is 8 so I'm out of the loop on good sipoy cups but just wanted you to know I CAN RELATE - I had the hardest time finding sippy cups that weren't too hard for her to suck on and didn't spill. I ended up going for the straw ones too.

We Mamas are standing behind you cheering you on.
May the odds be ever in your favor. :laughing: (But seriously though...)

We couldn't find one so we established the rule early that drinks stay in the kitchen on the counter or at the kitchen table. My kids are teens now and that rule still stands.

I didn’t do sippy cups, just straw tumblers and regular open top cups. He’s always been allowed to walk around with them BUT I started teaching him to clean up his own spills at the same time he started drinking from cups. I keep a stack of rags where he can access them and by a year and a half or so he was largely taking care of spills on his own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter