Parents of the Class of 2019

Today was the last final. He survived his senior year :)
We went to lunch at his college town. It is a short drive from home. He already got a haircut upon return. DD flies in tomorrow.
He is only doing his degree graduation Sunday. Saturday is lunch with family and a few close friends. And then Monday we take a short trip.
How is everyone else coming along?
Congrats to your son! Have a great weekend celebrating!

Congrats to everyone I have been a big lurker on this thread but I have enjoyed sharing everyone’s journey. My Dd graduates next weekend. Overall college was a wonderful journey despite the pandemic Dd had internships at the Today show and now she’s finishing an internship at New York Live. She has also landed a radio job in our hometown starting when she moves home. So very exciting times !!

Congrats to everyone I have been a big lurker on this thread but I have enjoyed sharing everyone’s journey. My Dd graduates next weekend. Overall college was a wonderful journey despite the pandemic Dd had internships at the Today show and now she’s finishing an internship at New York Live. She has also landed a radio job in our hometown starting when she moves home. So very exciting times !!
That's amazing. Congratulations to her!

We leave later today for Graduation tomorrow Morning. then dinner and meeting up with friends. DD has her apartment until the end of July so she is going to Keep working at the Hospital by her apartment for a while. then get a job here and apply for Grad school.

congrats to all!

Graduation is this weekend. There's a university-wide graduation on Saturday, then a "degree conferral ceremony" (where he actually walks the stage) on Sunday. He's only planning to do the Sunday ceremony.

Finals are over and he's good to go. He's planning to stay a few extra days in his college town to pack up and enjoy time with his friends (his lease goes till mid-July). Then he'll be coming home, going on vacation with the family, then starting his new job in mid-June. It's local to us but in a part of town he's not super familiar with, so he's going to be living at home for a few months till he decides where he wants to live, etc.

I can't remember if I posted about this... but he had an internship in New York City last summer which culminated in a post-graduation job offer, which he accepted. He had interned with the company part-time and remotely for about a year and a half before they brought him in the the NYC office for the summer. However, he came to us later in the fall and said that he was considering looking for other opportunities because he had some concerns. He felt like they were growing REALLY fast and were staffing up for deals that may or may not happen. And he had concerns that one of the deals was headed in a bad direction. He also said that while NYC was cool place to spend a summer, he wasn't sure he really wanted to be there permanently. Turns out he was right... just a month ago, the deal officially fell through and the company laid off a bunch of people, including the other intern who got a job offer (he hadn't even officially started yet.) So I am VERY glad that DS searched for, and found, something else before he was in NYC with a lease and no job! Hopefully the new job will be a good fit for him.

1683902848680.png

Last edited:
That’s a lot of stress heading into the final year. I hope it all gets settled quickly.
Thanks. He seems pretty calm and cool about it and reminded me that it took a couple weeks after his interview last year before he landed his last co-op (he interviewed twice with a company a week or so ago), but naturally, as parents, we're worried.

Graduation is this weekend. There's a university-wide graduation on Saturday, then a "degree conferral ceremony" (where he actually walks the stage) on Sunday. He's only planning to do the Sunday ceremony.

Finals are over and he's good to go. He's planning to stay a few extra days in his college town to pack up and enjoy time with his friends (his lease goes till mid-July). Then he'll be coming home, going on vacation with the family, then starting his new job in mid-June. It's local to us but in a part of town he's not super familiar with, so he's going to be living at home for a few months till he decides where he wants to live, etc.

I can't remember if I posted about this... but he had an internship in New York City last summer which culminated in a post-graduation job offer, which he accepted. He had interned with the company part-time and remotely for about a year and a half before they brought him in the the NYC office for the summer. However, he came to us later in the fall and said that he was considering looking for other opportunities because he had some concerns. He felt like they were growing REALLY fast and were staffing up for deals that may or may not happen. And he had concerns that one of the deals was headed in a bad direction. He also said that while NYC was cool place to spend a summer, he wasn't sure he really wanted to be there permanently. Turns out he was right... just a month ago, the deal officially fell through and the company laid off a bunch of people, including the other intern who got a job offer (he hadn't even officially started yet.) So I am VERY glad that DS searched for, and found, something else before he was in NYC with a lease and no job! Hopefully the new job will be a good fit for him.

View attachment 760170

Glad he dodged that! Is he going to be working closer to home now, or is he still heading to NYC?

Side note: We'll be on campus in a couple weeks - orientation days for our younger son the first couple days in June. :)

I can't remember if I posted about this... but he had an internship in New York City last summer which culminated in a post-graduation job offer, which he accepted. He had interned with the company part-time and remotely for about a year and a half before they brought him in the the NYC office for the summer. However, he came to us later in the fall and said that he was considering looking for other opportunities because he had some concerns. He felt like they were growing REALLY fast and were staffing up for deals that may or may not happen. And he had concerns that one of the deals was headed in a bad direction. He also said that while NYC was cool place to spend a summer, he wasn't sure he really wanted to be their permanently. Turns out he was right... just a month ago, the deal officially fell through and the company laid off a bunch of people, including the other intern who got a job offer (he hadn't even officially started yet.) So I am VERY glad that DS searched for, and found, something else before he was in NYC with a lease and no job! Hopefully the new job will be a good fit for him.

Wow, good for him and so happy things ended up working out for him in the end.

The next step of getting jobs and housing to work out smoothly can be very hard!

DD has been at her job for 6 months now. It's not official quite yet, but she's being moved up to be in charge of a department that they've been working her into.

Glad he dodged that! Is he going to be working closer to home now, or is he still heading to NYC?

Side note: We'll be on campus in a couple weeks - orientation days for our younger son the first couple days in June. :)
His new job is local (Columbus), but honestly, he hasn't ventured out of our little suburb too much, so he's not super familiar with the area. So we suggested that he could live at home for a couple of months, save some money and get a feel for where he wants to live before he signs a lease. (He really wants to get his own place -- no roommates -- so that impacts his budget/options.) So his rough plan is to look start his job in June, look around, and end up with something in August or September, I think.

Did your younger son decide on MiamiOH? I hope he has a great experience -- my son was very happy there. My niece will be a freshman at MIamiOH next year too (biology, pre-optometry). My daughter is at UC and it hasn't been a great experience... but she's heading back for year 2. There was talk of transferring for a while.

Did your younger son decide on MiamiOH? I hope he has a great experience -- my son was very happy there. My niece will be a freshman at MIamiOH next year too (biology, pre-optometry). My daughter is at UC and it hasn't been a great experience... but she's heading back for year 2. There was talk of transferring for a while.

Yep. :thumbsup2 He was down to Miami and UC and spent a weekend with a friend of his down at UC and wasn't sold on the urban campus feel, so he came home from that trip and said he decided on Miami. He's rooming with a HS friend of his and is going to study Mechanical Engineering like his brother.

Bumping this up - son is wrapping up his last co-op next week and moves back to school at the end of the month for his fifth year. Co-op has gone pretty well - the job itself has been boring at times, but he seems to really like the company and has had great conversations with someone in HR that he talks with once a week. The HR person told him he's welcome to come back for a week or two during winter break if he wants to make a little more money and if he doesn't have a full time offer by next summer, he's invited to come back as a post-grad intern. She's also offered to connect him with hiring managers in other cities if he finds a position posted that interests him. It's a multi-national company headquartered in Sweden (US headquarters are somewhere in Arizona), so there's a lot of jobs posted. Sounds like he'd be interested in working for the company, so he's going to research some of their other engineering positions to see if something interests him. :)

Moving right along those stages of life- DD is now engaged! They are looking at June 2025 as BF will be done with grad school December 2024 and then they will relocate somewhere and she wants a warm weather wedding.

I would say why wait that long but older DD also got engaged this summer with a wedding June 2024 so it will give us time to regroup and save money between weddings. But very fun to have them both in the planning stages together!

Moving right along those stages of life- DD is now engaged! They are looking at June 2025 as BF will be done with grad school December 2024 and then they will relocate somewhere and she wants a warm weather wedding.

I would say why wait that long but older DD also got engaged this summer with a wedding June 2024 so it will give us time to regroup and save money between weddings. But very fun to have them both in the planning stages together!
Congrats to your daughter(s)! 2 weddings in two years - yikes! :scared:

My son is wrapping up his final fall semester and has his schedule set for the spring. He's supposedly been applying for a number of jobs, but no interviews yet. We'd love for him to get an offer before spring semester, but we'll see. He's just ready to be done at this point - kind of what we were expecting when he decided to go into a 5-year program. All his friends are graduated and either working or in grad school and he's still finishing up undergrad. Hopefully, all the co-op experience pays off in the end.

Congratulations! My daughter has been dating her boyfriend for over 4 years, but I don’t think that announcement is coming soon since she had a year left in her dpt program in Boston and he has a year left in chiropratic school in daytona beach. They do fly to visit each other frequently and will be doing a Florida road trip for 2 weeks after Christmas. He is from Long Island so 1 1/2 hours away when home, he stays here, she stays there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter