Parents of the Class of 2019

I did the pumpkin care package with treats for DS, DD and DD’s BF. I shipped BF’s yesterday. The US post office lady was fantastic, I asked most economical way to ship it to a navy servicemen because it would not fit in the boxes there, that you can purchase. She went in the back grabbed a box, got stuffing out of a garbage can. Taped it up and away it went.
I’m going to get boxes today for DS and DD pumpkins. We actually will go watch DS in a club event tomorrow st a different school and DH will see DD Monday, I am going to have her take the pumpkins back with her.

DS got a wake up with his first calc 2 midterm- the class average was bad a 69%.
Rooms are to be picked next week. They both want to reserve where they are now but they both might go to apartments-to be determined later.

Hmmm will have to check if DS took the flu shot yet. FAFSA completed-YES!

I did the pumpkin care package with treats for DS, DD and DD’s BF. I shipped BF’s yesterday. The US post office lady was fantastic, I asked most economical way to ship it to a navy servicemen because it would not fit in the boxes there, that you can purchase. She went in the back grabbed a box, got stuffing out of a garbage can. Taped it up and away it went.
I’m going to get boxes today for DS and DD pumpkins. We actually will go watch DS in a club event tomorrow st a different school and DH will see DD Monday, I am going to have her take the pumpkins back with her.

DS got a wake up with his first calc 2 midterm- the class average was bad a 69%.
Rooms are to be picked next week. They both want to reserve where they are now but they both might go to apartments-to be determined later.

Hmmm will have to check if DS took the flu shot yet. FAFSA completed-YES!
You do not have to put the pumpkins in a box. Just slap the label on the pumpkin and mail it. The really fun part is when your college kid goes to pick up their package and gets handed a pumpkin. I stuff some tissue paper on top, tuck the handle inside, and cover the opening with packing tape so that nothing falls out.

I got large bag of chips for each. And each 6 boxes of microwave Mac and cheese. Too much to fit in pumpkin, so I decided to stick in box, savings shipping cost, since we will see DD.. And will now add Wendy’s gift card.

DD will prob Facetime BF to open boxes and maybe DS will be around to do it too. I wanted to ship the BF his as a pumpkin but I did not want to Embarrass him. His family does not celebrate anything and I mean anything.

I did the pumpkin too! Ordered at target online for in store pick up, made the mistake of getting a large, OMG it’s huge! I think I’m going to plant a big mum in it. Ordered the small, filled it with a Halloween t-shirt (happy hallow wine), socks, string lights, 2 small plastic bottles of rose, and chocolate. Taped the opening with orange duct tape and the address label. DH was running out and asked it I needed anything, so I asked him to take it to the post office. He’s a good sport, said the post office worker loved it.

Sorry but what’s the pumpkin care package?
Apparently if you seal the opening, you can mail one of those plastic pumpkins that kids collect their Halloween candy in — no box required. Buy the plastic pumpkin bucket and tuck the handle inside, fill with goodies, seal opening, attach mailing label...and ship. I have not tried it myself.

Taped the opening with orange duct tape...

That's brilliant!! - I was going to use the cardboard and packing tape method, but I might do that instead.

All three of mine (two nieces and DS) are ready to seal up and label. I'd been waiting to do all three the same year, so I had a lot of fun finally doing them. They have candy, Halloween decorations, the girls' have little stuffed animals, and DS's has some coffee/tea/cocoa pods, as one of his friends in the dorm has a Keurig. I think I'll mail them later this week, as I'm pretty sure Grandma just sent them all homemade banana bread a couple of days ago.

I just put mine in the package drop box at the post office, so no human acceptance. I'm not gonna lie, I watched the tracking half expecting it to be rejected. But it's on its way and supposed to be delivered Monday.

I included a string of battery run pumpkin lights, a couple pair of Halloween socks, some small decorative pumpkins my DD requested and a bag of white chocolate Kit Kats (her favorite). I was shocked it all fit.

I just put mine in the package drop box at the post office, so no human acceptance. I'm not gonna lie, I watched the tracking half expecting it to be rejected. But it's on its way and supposed to be delivered Monday.

I included a string of battery run pumpkin lights, a couple pair of Halloween socks, some small decorative pumpkins my DD requested and a bag of white chocolate Kit Kats (her favorite). I was shocked it all fit.

that was me year one. Tracking pumpkins all the way to Texas A&M, North Texas, and Missouri. All arrived without a hitch.

I had no idea that you could mail stuff without a box. I ended up doing the pumpkins every year of college since they were such a hit. Before her first Spring Break Beach trip, I mailed her flip flops. I weighed and labeled each shoe separately and dropped them in the mail slot. They also arrived just fine. I used a cute but inexpensive pair since I knew they would make it but feared that they might get mangled in the process.

that was me year one. Tracking pumpkins all the way to Texas A&M, North Texas, and Missouri. All arrived without a hitch.

I had no idea that you could mail stuff without a box. I ended up doing the pumpkins every year of college since they were such a hit. Before her first Spring Break Beach trip, I mailed her flip flops. I weighed and labeled each shoe separately and dropped them in the mail slot. They also arrived just fine. I used a cute but inexpensive pair since I knew they would make it but feared that they might get mangled in the process.
That's awesome! Definitely sending flip flops in the spring! And this is so fun knowing she sorts the mail some days at the front desk. I'd love more ideas if you have them!

Oh ok thanks
Apparently if you seal the opening, you can mail one of those plastic pumpkins that kids collect their Halloween candy in — no box required. Buy the plastic pumpkin bucket and tuck the handle inside, fill with goodies, seal opening, attach mailing label...and ship. I have not tried it myself.

That's awesome! Definitely sending flip flops in the spring! And this is so fun knowing she sorts the mail some days at the front desk. I'd love more ideas if you have them!

In January when the fun of the holidays is over and everything just seems like cold boring drudgery, I sent a box of sunshine. I used a box leftover from Christmas, lined it with yellow and orange tissue paper and filled it with orange and yellow things. I walked around Ulta looking for products in the correct color, Haunted the clearance sales, kept an eye out in the grocery store. every year was different depending on what I found. My DD loves trying new hair and make up products so I knew she would enjoy whatever I found.

She moved to an apartment after freshman year so that opened up a whole new avenue since she had plenty of room. From our town to her school mailing regular FedEx is overnight so I used it when she needed something quickly. The first time she got sick after moving to her apartment, I overnighted a pretty red tea kettle with a a bunch of teas, honey, some soup packets, and a new pair of pajamas.

At the start of her final semester as she was starting her job search and stressing about upcoming “real” adulthood and the move to a new big city where she only knew 2 people, I sent her Annie F Downs book, 100 Days to Brave.

The one thing I never did was subscribe to any of the school sponsored boxes. I loved putting the boxes together. It made my empty nest transition easier. Plus I wanted to send things that I knew she would like. The school boxes were really generic.

How did it go? Hopefully everything went smoothly!

Thanks for asking!

DD move-in went pretty smoothly. We arrived at the San Jose airport very early on Tuesday. When we deplaned, we realized two other new Frosh from Dallas and their families had been on the plane with us. The kids introduced the families to each other and we had a great time visiting as we waited for the mounds of luggage these three kids had. With just two of us, and me limited to what I could carry due to recent back surgery, it was almost comical as DD and I got all of her bags to fit on the luggage cart and headed off to get the rental car. Let me say--Samsonite Tote A Tons worked sooooo well and held a ton. So grateful to whoever recommended those. Target, Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond pickup stops were very close to one another in the Mountainview area, so we were able to knock off all the pickups pretty quickly. I had rented a Hyundai Sante Fe, and with luggage and purchases, it was FULL to the brim. The hotel we stayed at had some covered parking on the first floor that was enclosed on three sides, so I was able to back in and feel decently secure and not feel we needed to unload everything overnight. We stoped at Trader Joe's and got a few of our favorites and had a picnic dinner in our room and got to bed early in anticipation of the next day. My daughter, who is not a morning person, was so excited on move in morning that we were on campus and in line for checkin very early. There was great signage regarding specifically where to drive and where to park for each hall and we were able to park on the street right behind her dorm. Her dorm staff was cheering and so welcoming as each new student stepped up to checkin. She is in Otero, and its Orientation theme this year was The Last Oterobender, a knockoff of the The Last Airbender, and her floor is the Fire Nation--my DD loved it, having been a huge Avatar The Last Airbender fan when she was younger. Before we arrived, all we knew was the name of her dorm. Her top two choices on her housing application were an all freshman dorm and a floor with a women's restroom. When we got her room number and went up to her room, we learned she was on a coed floor with a women's bathroom--yay--and then discovered that she was in a huge corner room. It was set up completely different than what we were expecting, so it threw her off for a minute as she needed to reconfigure how she would decorate, but she ended up being very happy with it. About an hour into our putting everything away, her roommate arrived. Absolutely lovely young woman, lovely parents, sweet younger brother that is a huge Stanford fan and so proud of his big sis, and bonus--they live in the Bay Area so can get to our girls quickly if there is a problem. I am so glad for the extra room in their room, as we were able to all work pretty efficiently to get both girls things put away even with all of us in the room. After seven hours of unpacking and decorating, all she had left to do was organize her makeup and her desk, and we headed off to the dorm lounge to go as a group the the Opening Convocation on the Main Quad in front of Memorial Church. The Convocation was very well done and inspirational. We then were herded back to the dorm for a dorm meeting. They have two Resident Fellows (adults who live in an attached apartment--like dorm parents), four RAs, a Resident computer guru to help with all things computer related, a Resident Health person whose job is to make sure residents have someone to go to for help in navigating mental and physical health concerns, and Resident Academic Advisor--all for 80ish freshman residents. I came away from the meeting feeling very comforted that the dorm staff would be a positive part of my DD Stanford experience and they would work hard to make all feel included. I have already seen how many activities they do together as a group, and dorm pride is big at Stanford. After the meeting, we went out on the porch and our new Frosh were led through some dorm related cheers, and then were told to say goodbye to your parents/parents please leave/Otero is going to dinner/Orientation starts now/don't come back parents. Lol. It was a fun, exhausting day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter