Parents of the Class of 2019

Just found out last night that son's roommate (who was a HS classmate and is a neighbor of ours) is transferring in the fall to Ohio St. :(

The real bummer of it all is that he wanted to get into a different apartment complex on campus, but went along with his roommate and a couple of his roommate's friends on the apartment they chose. Now he's worried that once his roommate officially transfers, then a random kid might become his new roommate. He's fine with the other two kids in his apartment (he's met one of them and said he's a nice kid), but with a spot opening in his room, he doesn't want to get stuck with another kid who needs a spot to live.

Just found out last night that son's roommate (who was a HS classmate and is a neighbor of ours) is transferring in the fall to Ohio St. :(

The real bummer of it all is that he wanted to get into a different apartment complex on campus, but went along with his roommate and a couple of his roommate's friends on the apartment they chose. Now he's worried that once his roommate officially transfers, then a random kid might become his new roommate. He's fine with the other two kids in his apartment (he's met one of them and said he's a nice kid), but with a spot opening in his room, he doesn't want to get stuck with another kid who needs a spot to live.

Ugh, more uncertainty for him- that does stink. One of the things that keeps DD going is planning ahead for the apartment with her roommate.

DS has some scholarships that stays in place for next year. Holy tomato-great news. The five classes he took prior keep his gpa as qualified. (I guess)

When I told him tonight, he was happy and shared. “Hey there is a way you can get back part of my last dorm bill.” “Check into that.”
Ya, I already was aware.

Some kids got together Sat for D and D locally: I shared they are not coming here and you are not going there. He said. I know.
He is sometimes weird about kids his age dying, just the possibility, so contently he stay home though this ordeal.
Time to pick classes April 20.

Last edited:
DD got a call back from a lab she applied to for her "Immersive Scholars" fund. It's biometrics research and that's about all I know. She applied to one project doing research on infectious diseases before all this happened, but never heard back, so 2 days ago she applied to a couple more (this is for next semester). She heard from one of them right away, which she was happy about!

DD has done lots of Zoom sessions with friends, they've played D&D online, but nothing in person. She did say she was going to go on a walk with a friend yesterday until I reminded her that I am presumed positive, and her friend has her elderly grandmother living with them so it probably isn't the smartest thing to do. She went "Oh yeah, forgot about that" and went by herself to the archery range. (It's outdoors, and there's never anyone there).

DD is majoring in music therapy. Her primary instrument is piano. She is currently also in orchestra, guitar and a vocal class. All of these classes are online. It's fun hearing her. I'm getting to hear how her classes go and hear her taking her turn performing.

They are making the best of the cirucumstances. We moved her out of her dorm and back home last week. Everybody was very quiet. Her dad and I were struck by how somber it was. She, of course has no persepctive on it because she's never moved out of a dorm before. There's supposed to be hugs and smiles and happy greetings. There was none of that.

What will be will be.

Just got word from Mizzou that summer session is all online. Not surprising, but it got me wondering about fall. I'm having a hard time seeing how things get back to normal by then.

OK, taking a deep breath and going back to my plan of not thinking past what's for dinner tonight.

Just got word from Mizzou that summer session is all online. Not surprising, but it got me wondering about fall. I'm having a hard time seeing how things get back to normal by then.

OK, taking a deep breath and going back to my plan of not thinking past what's for dinner tonight.
Same with UD. Dd just applied to a local CC for a class she needs to take, online OOS tuition at UD is very high. We start paying $750 a month for her apartment June 1st, as of right now she can’t even drive into Delaware.

Wanted to post some good news - fall housing selection was last night, and (provided they actually get to go back then) DS and his roommates got their first choice of dorm and floor! :cool1:

Thankfully, it had been an on-line process for some time already, so it still went smoothly in spite of everyone being at home.

Class selection is done as well. (It was postponed a bit, but eventually happened earlier in the week.) There were a couple of "electives" he couldn't get into, but he got into 2nd choices, and his schedule looks better than this year's originally was. - At least he has a proper lunch break every day!

(What I mean by putting electives in quotes is those semi-requirements like "you must take a ____, but may choose from this list" sort of thing.)

@PollyannaMom Yay for getting what he wants!

DD can get the keys to her apartment May 9 so we're hoping to move some furniture that day, if we can cross the state line...

Today was DD's day to register for fall so she stayed up till midnight last night to give her the best chances. She got what she wanted.

And, she starts her internship Tuesday which is great. Eventually there will be working with the public (hopefully), but to start with, it will be her and her supervisor in an office that's closed to the public, in a county with 0 virus cases. So I'm good with this. Our county had 1 case, a few weeks ago.

DD is nervous about how things will end up going this fall. She'll be taking Calc 3 and Physics 2 online. She's doing ok in Calc 2 and Physics 1 right now, but isn't so sure about taking those next classes online next semester, and I don't blame her. And she can't step back and take filler classes or she won't get through the progression of engineering classes she has to take.

They really have to find a way to get kids back on campus in the fall.

Son put in a transfer request with housing, but has yet to hear anything back. He's not sure if there's any openings at apartments that he would like to move to, but has given them 3 possible options, ranked by his preference. One of his remaining roommates (the one he's actually met) has reached out to him and said he has two friends who would like to move into their apartment, or at least one other kid to take our son's transferred roommate's spot. He would like to move to a different complex, and has told them that he has made requests, but without any idea if anything is available, he has to stay in the room he has for now. Sucks kind of being in limbo right now.

Sounds like his schedule is complete for the fall - I think he's planning on one or two classes this summer through our community college (that I work at, so they'll be for free), but I think they're likely going to be all online, so I'm not sure if he wants to do that or not. Just hope that they're all able to go back to campus in August.

Well, DD has said, and I agree with her, that if they are still online only in the Fall semester that she won't be taking any classes. She's on track to graduate early anyway, so it won't affect her schedule much, and the online only is a PITA. She'll end up working as much as possible. I completely agree, they have to open back up and let the kids go back to school.

Well, DD has said, and I agree with her, that if they are still online only in the Fall semester that she won't be taking any classes. She's on track to graduate early anyway, so it won't affect her schedule much, and the online only is a PITA. She'll end up working as much as possible. I completely agree, they have to open back up and let the kids go back to school.
I think if they go online only in the fall, they will lose tons of students, at least for the semester. College is too expensive already. It's really not worth what they're charging for online only. I'm so tired of trying to make square pegs fit in round holes.

My DD is having to do an engineering group project where the group (in various locations) has to each make a piece of something that will fit together.

My daughter is the opposite, she says she’s going to live in her townhouse and do online classes if necessary (we have to pay rent starting in June). She is scheduled to graduate a year early (her advisor was surprised but she got 5 AP’s and 5 dual enrollment classes from Rutgers to transfer). She wants to go “home.”

My daughter is the opposite, she says she’s going to live in her townhouse and do online classes if necessary (we have to pay rent starting in June). She is scheduled to graduate a year early (her advisor was surprised but she got 5 AP’s and 5 dual enrollment classes from Rutgers to transfer). She wants to go “home.”
My DD brought in a decent chunk of credits as well. But she has to take a certain progression of engineering classes that will take the full 4 years.

DD is nervous about how things will end up going this fall. She'll be taking Calc 3 and Physics 2 online. She's doing ok in Calc 2 and Physics 1 right now, but isn't so sure about taking those next classes online next semester, and I don't blame her. And she can't step back and take filler classes or she won't get through the progression of engineering classes she has to take.

They really have to find a way to get kids back on campus in the fall.

My DD is in the same boat. Registration opened this morning, after a week of technical glitches and delays, and she got everything she needed... but that includes organic chem and cell physiology, and she's really not confident in her ability to handle those online. But taking a semester or a year off could mess up her aid package so she's going to tough it out either way. She did decide to "only" take 16 credits for fall, though, rather than the 20 she took this term and had thought about taking again in the fall. Some of the classes she needs for her Japanese major aren't offered every semester or even every year, so it was a tough choice to pass on one that looked interesting, but she figures she can always add it later if it turns out that they will be going back to campus. It isn't as though the Japanese classes tend to fill.

But on a more optimistic note, she got the notice this morning that she was chosen as an R.A. for the upcoming year for the freshman living-learning community she's part of this year. She'd have been thrilled to get any R.A. spot because it means we don't pay for room & board for the year and because she's the "mom" friend in her group and really likes the idea of the role, but being on the MBS program floor was her top choice because it'll keep her in touch with the program activities. So she's really excited. And so am I, since this will mean much lower bills for next academic year - her scholarship and grants cover tuition and books, so most of our costs are the living expenses.

My DD is in the same boat. Registration opened this morning, after a week of technical glitches and delays, and she got everything she needed... but that includes organic chem and cell physiology, and she's really not confident in her ability to handle those online. But taking a semester or a year off could mess up her aid package so she's going to tough it out either way. She did decide to "only" take 16 credits for fall, though, rather than the 20 she took this term and had thought about taking again in the fall. Some of the classes she needs for her Japanese major aren't offered every semester or even every year, so it was a tough choice to pass on one that looked interesting, but she figures she can always add it later if it turns out that they will be going back to campus. It isn't as though the Japanese classes tend to fill.

But on a more optimistic note, she got the notice this morning that she was chosen as an R.A. for the upcoming year for the freshman living-learning community she's part of this year. She'd have been thrilled to get any R.A. spot because it means we don't pay for room & board for the year and because she's the "mom" friend in her group and really likes the idea of the role, but being on the MBS program floor was her top choice because it'll keep her in touch with the program activities. So she's really excited. And so am I, since this will mean much lower bills for next academic year - her scholarship and grants cover tuition and books, so most of our costs are the living expenses.
Congrats to her on the RA position! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can get kids back on campus, for a wide variety of reasons.

It sounds like we have very similar situations with the classes for our DDs. Mine had enrollment already back in late February. Or some such month. It feels like a lifetime ago.

Mizzou is holding a virtual town hall tomorrow afternoon. I'll watch and see if they give any hints about what they think will happen for fall. Although I'm going to guess they remain optimistic about kids getting back on campus so they don't lose any sooner than they have to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter