Parents of the Class of 2019

She took her last final yesterday, she has A’s in her other classes. To celebrate she had a fire last night with some friends (6 as opposed to 40 or so pre-Covid), her boyfriend came over and spent the night (and he hit traffic for the first time, since he’s from LI he has to cross NYC, Dd visited him last weekend and flew there and back). I’ve agreed to allow her and dd16 deliver for DoorDash. Her online calculus class starts in a week, 8 - 10 Monday - Friday, plus 2 discussion days from 11 - 12, she’s dreading it already.

My DD does not finish her quarter until June 10. Three weeks to go! This Spring Quarter at home feels like it has stretched on for...ev....er. All classes are mandatory Satisfactory (if you earn a C- or above) or no credit—no choice to choose to have a grade—but she is still working hard and has all As right now.
In an interesting twist on “what is my college kid going to do this summer,” Stanford sent the students an email a week ago offering a chance to apply to a lottery for 300 spots to take a completely free summer school class. There were about 10 to choose from and all met some graduation requirement—a fine art, language, etc. She entered the lottery for a 5 unit class. Both of her summer jobs went to an online virtual format, so she felt like she could also do a class. Waiting now to see if she “wins the lottery”.

Reporting back — DD won the lottery for the free summer quarter class!!! I am thinking that was pretty lucky to get one of 300 slots! I am estatic that she gets to knock off a graduation requirement for free! Tuition alone for that summer class would normally be $5875.00. :banana:

I'm so sorry about your dog @bjscheel, losing a lifetime pet is a hard thing, especially with everything going on right now.

DD is still out of work, but we just went to a small gathering of friends from our 80s cruise and one of them is a manager of a couple of chemo infusion company sites and they're looking for nurse's "assistants". They'll be temporary workers that will be there to assist the patients in whatever they need, a drink, help to the bathroom (coordinating tubes and wires and balance, not physical assistance of lifting/lowering), getting a book/magazine or even just sitting and holding a hand if need be. She said it's really difficult right now because companions and family can't come in with the patients, so all of the things that they were doing the nurses are now tasked with and they're very overloaded. The lifeguarding first-aid skills will be helpful so hopefully she'll get to do that for a couple of months!

Right now the plan at UMASS is still to have students on campus in the fall. They may start a few weeks early and go straight through to Thanksgiving break with Saturday classes to, then be done for the semester just to cut down on kids going home and coming back to campus.

On a completely different note, we're going to put in the application for my DS at Montana State on July 1 when they open, so the 2nd kid will be headed to college in another year!

@ColoradoDisneyFreaks yay on the job! I worked as a nurse aid when I was a teen. And good luck on the next kid's journey!

Something that will be a perk for my DD: Her boyfriend is going to stay with us for baseball season (yes Iowa high schools are playing starting today). His mom said he could play if he wasn't living with her (she's doing strict SAH). We, on the other hand, are all working full time in our workplaces and doing other things so we don't have such a tight bubble. Hoping this all goes smoothly! I don't anticipate any trouble :)

We finally got an email from Mizzou alerting us to a possible schedule change. They are looking at following the lead set by other schools and being done on campus by Thanksgiving (with finals online after). Since DD will have to be back early for training, the summer will be over before we know it.

DD has been struggling with various health issues, and been worried about her grandpa's health. Then on Monday our dog died. She had been with us for most of DD's life. Working full time with a longer commute through all this was really making her stressed so yesterday she talked to her boss about cutting back a bit and it's fine. So that's a relief. It's been really weird to see her so down and subdued, it's not like her.

Also she hasn't been able to see her boyfriend except that one time but now is told they can take walks around the lake together. Hopefully soon her kayak will come in and they can do that too. A friend is coming out to sit on the patio tonight. Socialization does her good.

I'm happy, also, that DD will be in an apartment with her own bedroom and just one other girl. We're going down next Friday to get her bed in.

Her job has made her decide to change her emphasis within her major so she's going to try switching out a couple of classes.
I'm so sorry about the dog. That's rough. At least she got to be with her more than expected this year.

Stanford has announced that school will start a week early (on Sept 14), and students will go home by Nov 20th and have finals online Nov 30 to Dec 4.

Also, a preliminary plan was announced yesterday to have the equivalent of two class years on campus and two at home for each quarter during 2020-2021, with a guarantee of two quarters on campus, including a full summer quarter for some students. The only thing we know so ar is that new Frosh and transfers are guaranteed Fall Quarter, and Seniors are guaranteed Spring quarter. My DD and friends are communicating non-stop about this to break it all down, decide if they want to Gap Year, worrying about summer internships and jobs if they are one of the cohorts who are relegated to a summer 2021 online quarter. So much to still find out for sure, as this was a preliminary “this is what we think we are going to do” letter. I wish the administration had waited to do send this AFTER finals were over next Wednesday, because now all of them are having a hard time concentrating on final projects, papers, studying, etc., but I am sure they are trying to help new Frosh plan, re-assure them that they plan to have them on campus.

My son's university announced that they will start one week earlier than normal and cancel fall break (really just one day anyway). Fall semester classes will end the Friday before Thanksgiving. Finals will take place remotely after Thanksgiving. (His school has an extra-long winter break, so they'll end up being home for about 2 months!)

They're staggering dorm move-ins across a week (rather than 2 days). There will be social distancing, changes to dining hall procedure, mask requirements, etc... but none of those details have been released yet. And, of course, everything is subject to change based on the fluctuating situation. My son is VERY happy to have a "commitment" to be going back to campus.

We got an update today, mostly just a reaffirmation that they will have students back to campus along with official notice that fall break is cancelled and the in-person semester will end before Thanksgiving, with the last week of classes and finals online afterward. That way, the kids won't be traveling and then returning to campus in a short period of time. Libraries and rec facilities are planned to be open as well, with new guidelines to support distancing. All subject to change, of course, but still reassuring.

DD moves in on July 31 for RA training, so it feels like summer is almost over even though it has barely gotten started!

School announcement came out on Friday - similar to many, it's an earlier start, no breaks (including classes on Labor Day) and the end of in-person instruction at Thanksgiving, with online finals the following week.

Move in dates to be scheduled for everyone (previously, it was just freshmen who had set move in times, all others could move in any other date). Vague references were made about other changes being made. I still assume that larger lecture classes (I think my son only has one this semester) to be online. Hopeful that lab-based classes will remain in person, even if they have to stagger them so they limit the number of students in the labs,

Dd moved some stuff into her apartment, and since she doesn’t have a job here (because I wouldn’t let her, plus they are just starting to open up things today), she went to Lake George yesterday to stay at her best friend‘s vacation home and hostess at a dock side restaurant. Her friend has kayaks, paddle boards and jet skis, plus there is lots of hiking (she doesn’t have a car). She’s been doing Beachbody all summer and running, so I expect she will come home pretty fit at least. At least we had her home for a few month.

DD's school is going to decide on schedule tomorrow. She would be okay with the proposal to go home at Thanksgiving and do finals online.

It's been yet another rough week here, her grandpa died and funeral was yesterday. DD managed to sing for it and did well. We've had lots of trips up there and late nights so she's doing a kids camp this morning but asking if she can go home after instead of sitting in the office this afternoon. Her boss might not be the greatest to work with but they are allowing DD lots of flexibility so that's good.

On the plus side it has been great to have her BF staying with us. If all this was happening and she was still separated from him I would be really worried about her state of mind. He's been a great support to her and we've all enjoyed having him around (well, when he's not at the gym, work, or baseball).

Son's first class has now gone online - the one we all assumed would be online, Bio 101. It's a core course that he needed to fulfill a science requirement and he assumed it was a large lecture hall class, so he's fine with this one going online. Should be an easy course in general, I think.

College still hasn't announced when we are scheduled to move in, so we're still on hold trying to figure out what day we will be heading up.

DD's school decided on the go home at Thanksgiving plan with finals online. I think the start date stayed the same. One dorm set aside for quarantines for those who can't go home. The cafeteria is to be for eating only, no hanging out when you're finished. Looks like masks required around campus, and the two largest gen eds went online.

Just glad DD has an apartment off campus. She'll probably never use the cafeteria.

UD classes start 9/1, cafeteria grab and go, classes more than 49 online, online after thanksgiving. Winter session abroad is up in the air, she can’t even find a passport office open, her boyfriend found one and was told his passport should get to him by December (they planned on flying to NZ after Christmas. I’m hoping the whole thing gets cancelled, flights alone are $3000, can’t imagine booking without a passport in hand.

DS just got word that they're going back in the fall, so he's very happy! They're starting classes earlier though - Aug 17. Then he'll be home for Thanksgiving and the rest of the semester will be from home. Not sure about the spring semester.

I'm happy that both of my college kids get to go back (this house feels like it's getting smaller by the day).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter