Parents of the Class of 2019

DD's school is going to decide on schedule tomorrow. She would be okay with the proposal to go home at Thanksgiving and do finals online.

It's been yet another rough week here, her grandpa died and funeral was yesterday. DD managed to sing for it and did well. We've had lots of trips up there and late nights so she's doing a kids camp this morning but asking if she can go home after instead of sitting in the office this afternoon. Her boss might not be the greatest to work with but they are allowing DD lots of flexibility so that's good.

On the plus side it has been great to have her BF staying with us. If all this was happening and she was still separated from him I would be really worried about her state of mind. He's been a great support to her and we've all enjoyed having him around (well, when he's not at the gym, work, or baseball).
I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

DD's school is going to decide on schedule tomorrow. She would be okay with the proposal to go home at Thanksgiving and do finals online.

It's been yet another rough week here, her grandpa died and funeral was yesterday. DD managed to sing for it and did well. We've had lots of trips up there and late nights so she's doing a kids camp this morning but asking if she can go home after instead of sitting in the office this afternoon. Her boss might not be the greatest to work with but they are allowing DD lots of flexibility so that's good.

On the plus side it has been great to have her BF staying with us. If all this was happening and she was still separated from him I would be really worried about her state of mind. He's been a great support to her and we've all enjoyed having him around (well, when he's not at the gym, work, or baseball).

so sorry for your loss 😢

DD’s school is going to have on campus instruction but sending everyone home at Thanksgiving for the rest of the semester. Masks will be needed, I just hope everyone will comply.

So yesterday a bunch of Mizzou classes switched to being listed as "online". Some are saying that's just a glitch and not necessarily the case. But hmmmmm.....

If it is real, DD is not upset. Calc 3 and Physics 2 are her two classes still listed as being in person. (Calc only has 30 kids and Physics is an honors segment with even less). Fingers crossed and trying to stay optimistic.

Crossing our fingers - it looks like our son might be able to get into the apartment complex he’s been wanting to be in. I saw something on our school’s parents FB site saying their son was looking for one person to fill their apartment. It even turns out that the kid who was looking lived across the hall from our son this past year, so they sort of know each other. Not sure if they’ve finalized it, but we’re optimistic that they can get the transfer done soon.

Crossing our fingers - it looks like our son might be able to get into the apartment complex he’s been wanting to be in. I saw something on our school’s parents FB site saying their son was looking for one person to fill their apartment. It even turns out that the kid who was looking lived across the hall from our son this past year, so they sort of know each other. Not sure if they’ve finalized it, but we’re optimistic that they can get the transfer done soon.

Good luck, it would be great to have that settled!

I had posted earlier that part of DD's school's plan was to move the two largest gen eds online but I didn't realize she was in it. So she is currently at 3 in-person and 2 online (one was always online). No classes on Tuesdays- she's cool with that. But we'll see what really ends up happening!

Her winter session is officially cancelled, I’m relieved since she might not have been able to get a passport. One less thing to worry about, I’m sure she is disappointed (I found out on one of the Facebook parents page).

My son's school has started messing with the schedule (in person classes being switched). They have promised that they'll have everything finalized by 7/17... but it's been changing dramatically today.

My son has 5 classes. This morning (after the first wave of changes) there were 2 online, and 3 in person. Then it changed to 2 online, 1 hybrid, 2 in-person. Now it's changed to 3 hybrid, 1 online, and 1 in person. I wonder what it will end up like by the time they have it all locked down.

However, he also talked to his advisor today. I had encouraged him to run his planned schedule by her before he scheduled in the spring. He told me he didn't need to because she'd given him a "road map" and he just needed to fill in the blanks. (For instance "take your gen ed __ class here. Choose from this list.") One of the things he has to take is a "thematic sequence." It's an in-depth course of study in an area outside your major (it's not quite as in-depth as a minor...it's generally 4 classes: an intro-class, then 'choose 3 more classes from this list.' It's part of their 'well-rounded students' Liberal Arts curriculum.)

Anyway, he contacted his advisor today about something else and she replied with that answer but also "I noticed that you're signed up for the intro class for the Political Science thematic sequence. Did you realize you already have credit for that class via your AP credit? You can move ahead to another class in the sequence."

So... 1) I'm glad he found out now. Hooray for his advisor taking the initiative to bring it up even though he hadn't specifically asked. They will be opening the schedule next week and students can make changes, but it's a hassle. Hopefully he can get a spot in another class. 2) But this would have been avoided if he'd. listened. to. his. mother. I'm really, really trying not to say "I told you so!!!" (biting my tongue and telling you instead!)

How are the plans coming with everyone?

DS's schedule shook out at 2 online classes, 2 hybrid classes and 1 in-person class. He got his dorm move-in assignment the other day. He moves in on Thursday, Aug 13, with classes starting on Monday, Aug 17. He wants to go back and he'll have to go back since several of his classes have on-campus components... but I can't say I'm not nervous about it.

In an earlier message, I mentioned that his advisor had pointed out that he already had AP credit for a class that he'd signed up for, so he could go ahead and sign up for the next one in the series. He wasn't able to get the next class in the series, but he was able to swap it out for another class that counts toward his major. Registration opens again later today, so he said he might wait-list the class and see if he gets in. Since he's figuring social opportunities will likely be limited, he said he might as well keep busy with classes.

She has gone from some in person, to all online, now 1 of her 5 is in person, rest online. I hope they figure this out soon. With a final what is online what is not. And like others, regardless, campus closed at Thanksgiving break, for rest of term. Who knows what Spring term will be. I am thinking, still some online.

Looks like our son's schedule is: two online only classes, three blended (two of them 'Blended A/B', where half the class goes in person every other day, I think). Move in date (one hour move in window) is August 17th, classes start August 19th. He needs to get a negative COVID test at home before move in date. He already has a physical next Monday, so we're hoping that his doctor will be able to write up orders for him to go get tested. Otherwise, we'll have to get one through RiteAid or CVS, I guess. Also, coming from one of NY's identified 'hot spot' states, he's going to be tested at campus after he checks in as well.

Two online, three in person (maybe split up so not everybody attends the same session). Starts 8/19 and goes to Thanksgiving. I don't know if I'm going to get her any dining hall swipes. She's mainly going to be on campus M-W-F and has a break from 11-1 so there's time to go to her apartment and just avoid that scene. I'm not worried, our area has low cases and she won't be in a dorm. Just glad she's not a freshman trying to make friends in this situation.

Her BF is planning to play D3 football (freshman) at a private. His fallback is cc to save money if it's not going to be the full experience. I'm concerned that he will go to the university because they say football is happening, then about the time it's too late to withdraw, it will change to online class and no football.

DD has a Zoom interview tomorrow for a job in her college town. I hope she gets it!

Two online, three in person (maybe split up so not everybody attends the same session). Starts 8/19 and goes to Thanksgiving. I don't know if I'm going to get her any dining hall swipes. She's mainly going to be on campus M-W-F and has a break from 11-1 so there's time to go to her apartment and just avoid that scene. I'm not worried, our area has low cases and she won't be in a dorm. Just glad she's not a freshman trying to make friends in this situation.

Her BF is planning to play D3 football (freshman) at a private. His fallback is cc to save money if it's not going to be the full experience. I'm concerned that he will go to the university because they say football is happening, then about the time it's too late to withdraw, it will change to online class and no football.

DD has a Zoom interview tomorrow for a job in her college town. I hope she gets it!
All sports have been cancelled for the fall at ds’s school (D1). I’m guessing her club track will be canceled as well.

As current info as we have, DS will have A/B style hybrid classes. We don’t know his exact move-in date, and what I’m currently fretting about is getting him the required negative COVID test “within 72 hours before returning to campus”. I’ve heard that results are taking longer than that again, so I can either have the test in that window, or the results, but not both. :confused3

Like everyone else some online an in person. My concern right now is our state is now on NY travel advisory which means according to Hofstra DD will now have to go earlier an quarantine. Now Hofstra has not sent a specific email to us detailing this but it is on the general site. We are very frustrated right now with no exact instructions.

University of Delaware just announced almost all online classes, only a handful face to face like live animal labs, some nursing labs, and those with a in person class can stay in the dorms, one person per room.

Like everyone else some online an in person. My concern right now is our state is now on NY travel advisory which means according to Hofstra DD will now have to go earlier an quarantine. Now Hofstra has not sent a specific email to us detailing this but it is on the general site. We are very frustrated right now with no exact instructions.

Same issue with us as well. Right now, the best option we possibly have is to have our son spend the 14 days before move-in at my parents' house in PA (assuming it doesn't land on NY's travel advisory list).

Just over 2 weeks until DD moves back to campus, and Missouri has reduced the Bright Flight awards, after it was awarded and accepted. So less scholarship, higher tuition, less value to classes with (so far) 2 of 4 classes online. And $1300 in "fees" on top of tuition for 2 engineering classes. And I ask, what are the fees for if it's an online class?

Additionally, word now comes that students will not be required to notify anyone if they test positive. This should go well.

Also, no testing or quarantine required prior to returning to campus.

Last edited:
Just over 2 weeks until DD moves back to campus, and Mizzou has reduced the Bright Flight awards, after it was awarded and accepted. So less scholarship, higher tuition, less value to classes with (so far) 2 of 4 classes online. And $1300 in "fees" on top of tuition for 2 engineering classes. And I ask, what are the fees for if it's an online class?

Additionally, word now comes that students will not be required to notify anyone if they test positive. This should go well.

Also, no testing or quarantine required prior to returning to campus.
Wow, losing scholarship money! Engineering majors at UD pay over $4000 in yearly fees, and parents are wondering what for if online.

As of tonight 4 classes are online. One 8 week requirement course (offered only fall semester ) is currently listed in person; but 200 kids are signed up for it-so it probably will move to online. It is a 50 minute class.

I will contact private housing and find out what happens if DS declines first semester-I would guess he would lose his room for second semester.

July 31 is when U of I is hoping to lock in class offerings.

Almost $15000 even for room and board for the year. We could probably handle driving back and forth for the 8 week 60 minute class.
We are 80 minutes from the college.

Hmmm decisions.

DD is a senior same school this year-all her classes are online this semester. I believe she is planning not to return and sublet her apartment.

Update. I called housing. To cancel contract : must pay 75% of $15000. And then he has no where to live if spring semester is in person. And would need then to find housing and pay that $.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter