Parents of the Class of 2019

dyk ugh to the a/c and back-on-campus issues. I guess we're not dealing with that.

DS is still at home because his university decided to do the first month of classes online and keep the dorms closed. New move-in date is 9/18. However, we'll see if that happens. They've had an outbreak of Covid on campus, apparently stemming from an off-campus gathering of mostly athletes. (The athletic conference has canceled all fall sports, but fall- and winter-season athletes were already on campus practicing when that happened.) They said there have been 27 cases so far, affecting a variety of different teams. So the county health department has decided to quarantine the entire athletic program -- all athletes on campus (in season or not), coaches, trainers, and pretty much anybody who worked with the athletes. Even if they weren't at the party. Even if no one on their team has tested positive. (I heard of one grad student who did concussion testing with 12 athletes, none positive, and she's quarantined, too.) CDC and Ohio guidelines say that positive individuals should be isolated and their "close contacts" should be quarantined (but "contacts of contacts"do not need to be quarantined.)

Additionally, the information (previously) in the back-to-campus plan said that, if you needed to isolate/quarantine, you had the option of returning to your permanent residence. If you couldn't go home, then the university will provide a quarantine/isolation space for you. In the parent- and student- Webinars they had about the back-to-campus plan, they said that they PREFER you to isolate/quarantine at home so they can reserve the on-campus space for people who cannot go home (like out-of-state or international students.) However, apparently the Board of Health is making people quarantine on-campus (or in their off-campus apartments) and is threatening legal action (and the university is threatening disciplinary action) if you "break quarantine" even to go to your permanent residence.

I have been told that, at the on-campus quarantine facility, the school is providing food delivery, but there is no laundry service, etc. (They told us to pack a "go bag" but maybe it needs to have more stuff in it than I anticipated -- enough to last 14 days.) Now, the wording on the back-to-campus website has now changed to say that going home will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and requires written consent from the health department. And apparently, so far, the health department has said "no" to everyone.

They're supposed to make a go/no-go call about opening the dorms/switching to face-to-face classes by Labor Day. I know my son is REALLY, REALLY hoping they open... and I was hoping that for him, but now I'm not sure. If they are quarantining the entire athletic department, what's next -- if someone in his dorm tests positive (even on a different floor), would they quarantine the entire dorm? What about if someone in the business school tests positive, will they quarantine everyone who had class in that building? Are they "making an example" out of the athletes in an attempt to 'scare everyone straight' to follow the rules? I really don't know. He could spend the entire semester quarantined even if he does everything right.

Off-campus students have been around campus for 2-3 weeks (classes have been in session since August 17) and we currently have 37 positive cases, which isn't too bad compared with some other universities. However, they've already sent out two e-mails kind of setting the stage for *not* returning to campus. And now, I can't decide what I'm hoping for.

My daughter just arrived in Delaware, her boyfriend stayed here a couple of night and they drove down this morning, shes only been here since Saturday. Yesterday ds22 learned his friend/office mate tested positive, so he got a rapid test (negative), drove to his apart ent (hasn’t been there all summer), and will do the other test today. She had her last fire last night. She’s not planning on coming back until thanksgiving. The town is being very strict with parties, no outside gatherings over 20, inside over 12, there are 6 girls in her townhouse, students are getting fined, arrested, and suspended. I hope they don’t mess up.

I've been back and forth all day yesterday and today with DD. A/C has been out in their apartment for 2 days. And of course they've had heat warnings today. Found out today it's the entire building. They did come put one small window unit in their small shared living room. Not sure how they expect 4 girls to sit in there doing online classes together. Or to sleep.

Kids on campus are pretty unhappy based on posts in the parent's Facebook page. Some food locations are not up and running. Some have limited capacity. I will say that if they couldn't get the food delivery part of this right, they had no business opening.

DD can't get her parking pass purchased. System won't take her registration and nobody answers the phone or email. I'm guessing they'll figure it out and charge her then promptly close it all down again.

More than anything, I feel for the incoming freshmen. Based on comments from parents, many are bailing and heading home. They're feeling really isolated and unable to connect like in "normal" years.

That's been our refrain/consolation through all of this - at least it didn't happen a year earlier. All of these changes are so much harder on last year's seniors/this year's college freshmen as they figure out a situation no one really understands without any of the usual support structures. DD is serving as a peer mentor in the living-learning community she was part of last year and where she would have been an RA this year if the dorms were open, and several of "her" freshmen are really struggling to adjust to this weird college-but-not situation they're in. They're planning on having some unofficial, outdoor, socially distanced meetings of the group eventually, but the air quality has been so hit-or-miss depending on which way the wind blows that the idea is on hold for the time being.

I hope they get the a/c situation figured out for your DD soon. The heat has been so crazy this year that it is a miserable time for that to go out!

Yes, so glad DD is a sophomore with her established group of friends and not dependent on dorm living. Meanwhile, her BF as a freshman at another school is truly getting the full 2020 college experience as he has been quarantined with Covid since the weekend. He's okay, about two days of a bad cold.

In other news, it's DD's 19th birthday today! This birthday and last she kind of hasn't enjoyed turning older and more adult-aged!

Yes, so glad DD is a sophomore with her established group of friends and not dependent on dorm living. Meanwhile, her BF as a freshman at another school is truly getting the full 2020 college experience as he has been quarantined with Covid since the weekend. He's okay, about two days of a bad cold.

In other news, it's DD's 19th birthday today! This birthday and last she kind of hasn't enjoyed turning older and more adult-aged!
:bday: to your DD!

Like everyone else, I haven't been great at keeping up on this thread-I sort of stopped reading a lot of Disboards since for a while it was all doom and gloom.

We flew up to MA to drop DD off at Clark 2 weeks ago. She did prearrival testing here, then was tested on move in day, and they're requiring 3x/week which, showing how truly resilient the young can be "is no big deal." Classes began Monday-she has 2 in person, 2 online and she feels things are going well. She does have to work a bit harder to socialize but I think really enjoys living in her single room (which was a single to begin with). I really hope she's allowed to stay until Thanksgiving but right now I'm viewing each day she's there as a gift of normalacy!

Today's supposed to be the day... DS's university decided before classes began in August that they'd be keeping the dorms closed for the first month and doing all classes online till 9/21. They were supposed to give a go/no-go for the move-in, resumption of in-person classes before Labor Day weekend. Last Thursday, they delayed the decision till 9/9 (today) and said that they needed to see a 'downward trend' in cases around campus in order to move forward.

I don't even know what I want.

Today's supposed to be the day... DS's university decided before classes began in August that they'd be keeping the dorms closed for the first month and doing all classes online till 9/21. They were supposed to give a go/no-go for the move-in, resumption of in-person classes before Labor Day weekend. Last Thursday, they delayed the decision till 9/9 (today) and said that they needed to see a 'downward trend' in cases around campus in order to move forward.

I don't even know what I want.

Good luck! Even if you don't know what you want their decision to be. I'll be surprised if they're seeing any downward trends, though. Friends of ours moved their daughter (a sophomore) back there last weekend and her mom said within an hour of them leaving her, she was already at a party. :sad2: The worst part (IMO), was that the mom's reaction was simply telling her daughter that if she comes down with Covid, don't come home. Not something like, "Hey, don't be an idiot and go out to parties!". :headache:

Students and parents get the covid update emails from the college, the college asked the students to stay in their school homes for 2 weeks and said not to go home home for Labor Day weekend. DD said everyone that she has social vision to-went home for Labor Day.

As a parent- would you allowed your student to come home? Ever if the college specifically said not to?

DD's school is seeing a definite downward trend, for now. I kind of felt like once they got a few weeks in it might settle down. Of course it can come back up but I'll take any good news when I can.

DD has one class stressing her out that she called me about last night. It's part of the masters level for her major, all online, and condensed into a half semester so she's struggling a bit. I couldn't help her at all but she said it probably helped her just to vent about it a while.

On her birthday DD went to the animal shelter in her college town and decided to walk a dog that had just arrived. She reminded her a lot of our old dog who died on Memorial Day. DD kept visiting her, DH got interested, and last Friday we went and got her. She's very cute and energetic! She's a great dog, but it's been a time trying to keep the cats happy. She just wants to greet them, but 2 of 3 freak out about it. Our old dog ignored them.

It's funny, before we picked the dog up, the shelter took her to campus for photos so DD will have a picture in the yearbook with her!

Students and parents get the covid update emails from the college, the college asked the students to stay in their school homes for 2 weeks and said not to go home home for Labor Day weekend. DD said everyone that she has social vision to-went home for Labor Day.

As a parent- would you allowed your student to come home? Ever if the college specifically said not to?
No, and I’m not allowing her home until thanksgiving. Her school had classes on Labor Day, they are giving them off on Election Day.

My DD was home the weekend before Labor Day (for a break from the broken A/C which for the record still isn't fixed) so she stayed Labor Day weekend and picked up extra work hours from all the people who did go home.

They did ask students at her school not to go home. On Thursday preceding the holiday. Too late in the game to expect anyone to adjust. Of course it's common sense not to go home, but if you want to officially request that, you need to do it more than 1 day ahead of time. But seriously, as DD was trying to find cool places outside her apartment to spend some time over the long weekend, I told her to take a book and go find a comfy spot in the library. Then I found out the library was completely closed on Saturday. A major flagship campus and the library was closed. If you want students to stay on campus, you need to have things open.

Additionally, I now hear that if students are from in state, they are now sending them home if they test positive and need to quarantine. Sorry, but if you want to keep campus and home cleanly separated for virus safety, then the University needs to up their game on being able to house students who test positive. Can't go home for a visit, but please go if you have the virus? That's not to say I wouldn't welcome my DD home if she tests positive. I honestly don't know how we would handle it. I would need to assess how she was dealing with it but would prefer not to expose our household if I didn't need to.

2 of DD's roommates went home for the weekend, oddly enough the 2 who are from out of state. Nothing like spreading those germs far and wide.

My son had classed on Labor Day this year - they have no breaks for the semester because of the condensed schedule. We drove up there on Sunday and took him out to dinner for his birthday, however.

Around here kids never come home for Labor Day most of the time they have only been there 2 weeks. We might see them over the "Fall break" but that is rare. Maybe at a football game, if the parents head to a game but for the most part Thanksgiving is when you see them.

Her school had classes on Labor Day,
They did ask students at her school not to go home. On Thursday preceding the holiday. Too late in the game to expect anyone to adjust. Of course it's common sense not to go home, but if you want to officially request that, you need to do it more than 1 day ahead of time

DS’s school had classes Monday as well, but they were also very clear from the beginning that they did not want students bouncing back and forth. Even though he is only two and a half hours away, he’s also two states away. He would be expected to test or quarantine to travel, and the same for us if we visited. We make sure to FaceTime and stay in touch by text a lot, but we don’t expect to actually see him until November.

If you want students to stay on campus, you need to have things open

Agreed!

Good luck! Even if you don't know what you want their decision to be. I'll be surprised if they're seeing any downward trends, though. Friends of ours moved their daughter (a sophomore) back there last weekend and her mom said within an hour of them leaving her, she was already at a party. :sad2: The worst part (IMO), was that the mom's reaction was simply telling her daughter that if she comes down with Covid, don't come home. Not something like, "Hey, don't be an idiot and go out to parties!". :headache:

Yeah... I'm so angry at the upperclass students. There was a news story released yesterday about a house party that was cited and the hosts were SUPPOSED to be isolated in the house because they were COVID positive. And I'm also shocked at some of the parents on the parent board. I've seen things similar to what your friend said, to:
"It's developmentally inappropriate to ask them not to have parties and to wear masks. They're college students. They gather. It's what they do."
to
"Well, if it's an indoor party, if you don't open the door when they knock, cops can't do anything unless they have a warrant. So I'm telling my kid not to answer the door." (While apparently this is legally true, *this* is your advice to your student? And you're posting it on a university-moderated facebook page?)
to
"Don't blame this mess on the upperclassmen. It's a virus. They could have gotten it anywhere. It's not their fault."

The "reported numbers" seem to be slowing down, but the numbers are still high. The 7-day average number of cases among students has declined from 107/day to 79/day -- so it's going down but it's still huge. (For comparison, the university has about 19000 total students, but about half of them aren't on campus yet. My county has 109,000 population and our 7-day average is 16/day.) It's nuts.

I'd really like him to stay home, but he's miserable... but I don't really want him to go back and get sick. (Or quarantined, which for on-campus students sounds just dreadful.)

I can't decide if I'm envious of those of you whose kids have been able to go back to campus or relieved that DD isn't dealing with quarantine protocols and all of that.

She told me when we talked over the weekend that she's hearing from her mentor in the RA program and the professors in the living-learning community where she's an RA (without the resident part) that they're being told to prepare for classes to remain virtual for the rest of the academic year. Which probably shouldn't come as a surprise - San Francisco is on their own ultra-strict reopening timeline so there's no certainty that the city wouldn't step in to stop plans to reopen, and there's probably no economic or student-retention advantage to opening for second semester after being closed this term - but still kind of did, and kind of (seriously) sucks. She's not sure if she's going to try to stay out there for the spring if campus is closed or not. She wants to, but knows that it might not be the most financially responsible decision since with everything still closed out there, there's little chance of her finding a job to help offset the cost of rent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter